+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Bebop

Default Re: Cowboy Bebop

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    That terek argument on page two needs to be in the hall of shame.
    It always was, in our hearts

I guess we can talk about that live action Netflix version soon, maybe?

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    im naruto
    I had heard a guy tell me about the first chapter of Naruto and decided that it is overrated. I sure hope that snob seephos isn't around anymore to bully me for my legitimate opinion

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    The only thing I really didn't like about bebop is that Spike dies and everyone else goes there separate ways at the end. Nobody (except maybe Ed and Ein) gets a happy ending, which I just personally don't like. I'll check outlaw star out and see about Oban star racers. Thanks for the recommend!
    Same feelings here. I also had the feeling if the story would have been written nowadays it would have had a different end. Like if sad and lonely endings were, in Japan, 'in fashion' back at the end of SXX, more than what they are now. Nowadays, a character like Faye being sad all the rest of her young life because she couldn't be happy with Skype is, to me, not believable. The vibe is that nowadays she or any other woman or man would ask: "ok, let's see what's next.". So in the end I take Bebop is a beautiful son of its time.

I for one didn’t really mind Spike’s death such as the ambiguity of it, which also pretty much sums up his backstory. Would’ve been nice to get some explanation as to what caused him and Vicious to hate each other along with why he left the Red Dragon Clan.

Jet and Fate each got episodes that quickly explained their past essentially in episodes that had them confronting someone from their past Spike got 5 episodes involving him confronting Vicious none of those episodes showed much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Poor skype and fate

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I for one didn’t really mind Spike’s death such as the ambiguity of it,
    It wasn't ambiguous. At all. He has that whole speech about how he has one eye in the past and one in the present, but none on the future. WHen Julia dies he decided that's it for him and he goes all out, and he takes insane wounds while getting his final vengeance. With Julia dead, Vicious dead, and his farewells said to both Jett and Faye, he's got nothing left to live or fight for. Then the final shot is the doves flying off into the sunrise and then pans higher into the sky for two solid minutes while music plays about life being just a dream and wanting to be free and then it ends on a star winking out (going back to Spikes talk with the shaman) then fades to white. There is not really any ambiguity there, and there's REALLY none if you watch any of the episode surrounding it and listen to the non sequitur stories being told. that ending shot. It couldn't be more blantant without a doctor coming up, checking his pulse and pronouncing him dead.

a star which also pretty much sums up his backstory. Would’ve been nice to get some explanation as to what caused him and Vicious to hate each other along with why he left the Red Dragon Clan.
    We get snippets of his flashback along the way. The end credits of every episode, that story about the cat, and other clues along the way tell the whole thing. Spike and Vicious were in a gang together, then Julia showed up, and they both fell in love with her. Spike wanted to get out of the life so he and Julia ran away together but no one leaves the life, so he got shot up and left for dead (that's when he lost his eye.) We know the whole story, just not in explicit detail.

Spike got 5 episodes involving him confronting Vicious none of those episodes showed much.
    That's because there was no single standalone episode that would have worked to convey properly what good friends he and Viscious were, or how blazing the romance with Julia was. Nothing could live up to how important or amazing she's supposed to be or how wonderful she was or how alive she made Spike feel... so its implied and left for you to imagine . Look at the description I gave in the paragraph above. That explains it, that tells the whole story, but its really shallow and plain, isn't it? There was just no way to do that particular story any justice without giving a LOT of time to it, like its own standalone film, and even then that wouldn't live up to what you can imagine, so leaving it vague was a good way to go. (Also happy Spike would have been a completely different character and that difference is jarring.)

On top of that, Spike is sort of reliving his life throughout the series and can't escape it. That's why every time he and Vicious fight he got cut in the arm and shot near the eye.
    Last edited by Robby; June 1st, 2020 at 08:16 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The vague way of Bebop telling us about the characters and their backstories is one the things I've always liked about Bebop. I'm (very slowly) rewatching it with Chrissie right now, she's never seen it before. But she can piece together an idea about Spike's backstory thus far based on just those random shots and montages in Ballad of Fallen Angels (and the end credits).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Anyway this show also is fucking gorgeous? I mean I always knew that, but I think I'm seeing a blu-ray quality stream this time and man, where lots of old shows can look ugly through that lens? Bebop looks just... goddamn.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It wasn't ambiguous. At all. He has that whole speech about how he has one eye in the past and one in the present, but none on the future. WHen Julia dies he decided that's it for him and he goes all out, and he takes insane wounds while getting his final vengeance. With Julia dead, Vicious dead, and his farewells said to both Jett and Faye, he's got nothing left to live or fight for. Then the final shot is the doves flying off into the sunrise and then pans higher into the sky for two solid minutes while music plays about life being just a dream and wanting to be free and then it ends on a star winking out (going back to Spikes talk with the shaman) then fades to white. There is not really any ambiguity there, and there's REALLY none if you watch any of the episode surrounding it and listen to the non sequitur stories being told. that ending shot. It couldn't be more blantant without a doctor coming up, checking his pulse and pronouncing him dead.
    Seems kinda weird though in retrospect how Spike survives getting thrown out a window at the end of his first fight with Vicious with no explanation but we’re supposed to go with the idea he died in their final encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That's because there was no single standalone episode that would have worked to convey properly what good friends he and Viscious were, or how blazing the romance with Julia was. Nothing could live up to how important or amazing she's supposed to be or how wonderful she was or how alive she made Spike feel... so its implied and left for you to imagine . Look at the description I gave in the paragraph above. That explains it, that tells the whole story, but its really shallow and plain, isn't it? There was just no way to do that particular story any justice without giving a LOT of time to it, like its own standalone film, and even then that wouldn't live up to what you can imagine, so leaving it vague was a good way to go. (Also happy Spike would have been a completely different character and that difference is jarring.)
    Maybe but personally it kinda feels like a cop out.

Poor skype and fate
    Ah shit.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Seems kinda weird though in retrospect how Spike survives getting thrown out a window at the end of his first fight with Vicious with no explanation but we’re supposed to go with the idea he died in their final encounter.
    Spike still has something to live for then. Revenge, and Julia. Its how he survives a lot of his near death experiences. He's not done with his past yet.

At the end though? He doesn't have either of those things to push him forward anymore.

This wasn't even subtext, it was text.
    Last edited by Robby; June 1st, 2020 at 08:53 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Those Terek posts were painful to read through.

Reminds me of the recent "I have read only 20 chapters of Vagabond and have seen everything from those 20 chapters so therefore the series sucks" posted by a certain someone.

On topic i both like and dislike this show. At first watch i liked the overarching plot episodes, but i tend to skip those on rewatches. I am however quite fond of the stand alone nonsense episodes, and i always wish they spent more time on those than the bigger drama. In general i think samurai champo did more for me as a series, but bebop had its golden moments

On topic i both like and dislike this show. At first watch i liked the overarching plot episodes, but i tend to skip those on rewatches.
    Thought most people were inclined to skip it altogether because they’ve been rerunning it on CN like it’s a special occasion ala airing The Honeymooners on New Year’s.

What's the appeal of Cowboy Bebop for you guys? Or Watanabe's work in general?

I watched both Bebop and Samurai years ago and while I enjoyed Bebop a bit, I was just bored by Samurai and generally found Watanabe to be all style and no-substance type director. I found his work on Kids on the Slope to be much stronger than any of his work before or since then. Though I already loved the manga way before his adaptation came out so I'm not sure if his direction was the reason for why I loved it. Is there more to the director or is he one of those "love'em or hate'em" where either the work clicks with you or it doesn't.

Watanabe may be all style no substance, but the style as channeled through his choice of music is exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    What's the appeal of Cowboy Bebop for you guys? Or Watanabe's work in general?

I watched both Bebop and Samurai years ago and while I enjoyed Bebop a bit, I was just bored by Samurai and generally found Watanabe to be all style and no-substance type director. I found his work on Kids on the Slope to be much stronger than any of his work before or since then. Though I already loved the manga way before his adaptation came out so I'm not sure if his direction was the reason for why I loved it. Is there more to the director or is he one of those "love'em or hate'em" where either the work clicks with you or it doesn't.
    Bebop is a dream team effort kind of like Chrono Trigger.
    Watanabe is only one part of a picture that includes Keiko Nobumoto doing writing, Yoko Kanno doing music, and imo great character designs from Toshihiro Kawamoto. Plus the excellent English dub.

Watanabe on his own does come off waaaaaay more style than substance, I agree. But Bebop is not accurately described as "his".

Agreed that Cowboy Bebop was a dream team type of situation but the fact that Watanabe managed to work with those talented people again on other projects has to count for something. Sometimes some people are not the most talented themselves but they just have that natural magnetism that allows them to be surrounded by talent.
    Last edited by PatTraverse; June 1st, 2020 at 09:15 PM.

I'm pretty shallow and tend to put my entire enjoyment on a series down to if I grow attached and love the cast or not. Team Bebop are all awesome and I can't really remember a specific episode I wasn't entertained. I still haven't bothered to buy the show myself, entirely on the grounds that I've seen it sooooooo many times reran on tv, but someday I'll probably just toss it into a cart and buy it finally.

Also no matter how many times I see it or how long it's been, the goodbye sequence before the finale will always break me.

I only bought the movie VHS (sub version of course). It's still displayed on the shelf like a work of art that it is. ^^

EDIT: The hell? Since when am I red!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    I only bought the movie VHS. It's still displayed on the shelf like a work of art that it is. ^^

EDIT: The hell? Since when am I red!
    Since today. Congratulations on this entirely pointless honor

Since today. Congratulations on this entirely pointless honor
    No more pointless than anything else in our short lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information