+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,029: The Tower

Default Chapter 1,029: The Tower

Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010003
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...46?action=read

Author Comments 10/24/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-10-24-2021

Eiichiro Oda

I underestimated the anime Uma Musume. It has so much respect for the horses. This longtime horse racing fan is moved to tears!

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 1,029: The Tower

Who knew that Shanks tearing off Kidd's arm would be somehow beneficial to him.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010003
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...46?action=read

Author Comments 10/24/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-10-24-2021

Eiichiro Oda

https://de7i3bh7bgh0d.cloudfront.net...iichirooda.jpg

I underestimated the anime Uma Musume. It has so much respect for the horses. This longtime horse racing fan is moved to tears!
    Not you too Oda.

Cool chapter! Killer surely delivered during the Wano Arc. Excited to see more from his captain.

I thought the stolen fire/prometheus bit was a fun little nod.

The whole Killer fight was great, given good time, looked pretty as can be, some thought put into the end. The only thing that irks me is that Kidds sidekick rated this, but you know who couldn't even get a third off this effort put into his "fight"

Killer has been a surprising delight this arc

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I thought the stolen fire/prometheus bit was a fun little nod.

The whole Killer fight was great, given good time, looked pretty as can be, some thought put into the end. The only thing that irks me is that Kidds sidekick rated this, but you know who couldn't even get a third off this effort put into his "fight"
    Jack was cheated. It's so weird that Raizo and Killer have more focus than Jack. It's a weird choice.
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Quite enjoyed the chapter.

I enjoy Sanji having some conflict about his transformation. If we gonna do this lets mine some nice drama out of it first. Am I the only one that was puzzled about how people keep talking about Saji breaking the sword with his neck when his face is the part caved in? clearly that was his face not his neck. Stop saying neck.

The fight had some nice moment. Law so much more of a dynamic fighter then Kidd and him doing the electric attack at Big mom is cool. And big mom doing that cool flip to maximize power is pretty great. I wish she would be allowed the impact she should. Cause that attack should have messed up kidd quite a bit.

Pillar headbutting is silly but I like the idea of the sadic Hawkins. His internalize doubt that Killer points out. And him getting his arm cut off was an image I didnt expect in full display (I thought he would attack the arm not cut it completely).

I dont care about the relation between Killer and Kidd but Killer telling his friend to go forward is a pretty dope line. Give me shades of Zoro/Sanji blocking the goons behind Luffy when he was about to attack Hody.

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

I am sure once BM betrays Kaido Jack and Smoothie will have a fight for the ages.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Who knew that Shanks tearing off Kidd's arm would be somehow beneficial to him
    Good guy Shanks. I guess he knows a thing or two about losing an arm.

Discovered Stowaway DarkHamster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Killer has been a surprising delight this arc
    I think what helped was the strength of bond/relationship between Kidd and Killer. It's also what draws the reader to SHs, their relationships. Sometihing I hope oda shows more now that he's developed the main players who aren't SHs and giving them backgrounds.

Very surprised Killer vs. Hawkins got this much attention, it was a good fight and added some depth to both characters, but it seems like an odd area to focus on compared to some of the other fights that have been sidelined.

Also glad to see Sanji still conflicted, hope it leads to something.

I was already a fan of WCI, but seeing these long-term developments for Sanji make that arc feel even more worth it. Love to see this struggle as well as the power up.

Hawkins vs Killer was well done. Not a fight I was excited about, one that I wouldn't really care to see offscreened, but I'm glad that Oda gave a satisfactory resolution to this conflict. Great visuals too.

Overall, this chapter was great. Have to say that the official translation felt a little awkward to me in some places, but it's alright.

That was a good fight. I still don't see what Kidd will be able to do against Big Mom, unless he suddenly learned advanced haki and figured out how to weaponize conquerer's haki like the big guys.

I like Sanjis new powerup and how worried he is about losing his humanity.
    This will be good for him going forward, it's gonna take him to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    That was a good fight. I still don't see what Kidd will be able to do against Big Mom, unless he suddenly learned advanced haki and figured out how to weaponize conquerer's haki like the big guys.
    Yeah, this shows how big the impact of haki on One Piece has been. After the time skip, if you don't have haki you suck, and if you have haki but not advanced haki, you suck less but you still suck. Over the years, villains and good guys have shown a variety of styles and techniques, but now there's much less room for that because haki counters everything, especially "broken" powers like Law's chambres (but curiously, not Hawkin's dolls).

Honestly, I would be more than happy if Oda backtracked on this and made Kid win by evolving his magnetic powers.

For similar reasons, even though I don't like Sanji's new Germa body particularly, I am relieved his confrontation with Queen won't be won by haki alone.

NOT EVEN CLOSE, SIR!

Quote Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
    Honestly, I would be more than happy if Oda backtracked on this and made Kid win by evolving his magnetic powers.
    I mean in a sense, he'll probably unleash the evolved form of the punchy fist.

Bigger, more aerodynamic and with flashy cool flames painted on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post

I like Sanjis new powerup and how worried he is about losing his humanity.
    This will be good for him going forward, it's gonna take him to a new level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
    Yeah, this shows how big the impact of haki on One Piece has been. After the time skip, if you don't have haki you suck, and if you have haki but not advanced haki, you suck less but you still suck. Over the years, villains and good guys have shown a variety of styles and techniques, but now there's much less room for that because haki counters everything, especially "broken" powers like Law's chambres (but curiously, not Hawkin's dolls).

For similar reasons, even though I don't like Sanji's new Germa body particularly, I am relieved his confrontation with Queen won't be won by haki alone.
    We've already seen an example of how they might when he worked with Law to push her off of the skull roof. If the answer ends up being haki, fine, but I don't get this particular complaint in this context when we've already been given one sort of answer.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Okay trying to put myself in the brilliant mind of Kidd i have now deduced that his hidden ace will be the trojan fist! A seemingly innocent mega death fist, but inside is even more fists. These fists are also mega death fists, but smaller, medium death fists. But there are a lot of them. I'll accept the noble prize for most likely manga theory now.

nah, Kidd will awaken his DF and go full Magneto
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Oh, it's good to be back! The last chapter felt like it ended kind of in the middle of Sanji's scene, not quite feeling like a natural break point, so it's good to go straight back into it for this one. I appreciate that Sanji's negative reaction to his new powers stems from a fear that he'll lose his emotions the way his brothers did. Getting anxious about turning into someone else or losing your humanity is a much more existential angle than "I don't want these cool superpowers because they have my dad's cooties on them" and I'm legitimately curious to see the development of it. I hope this is the new Sanji angle I've been wanting for years now.

Seeing Big Mom in action here really emphasises how downplayed she's been as a fighter. Whole Cake Island was mostly running away and the rooftop brawl was decidedly Kaido-centric, but she's turning out to be great in a stand-and-fight battle. I love the unhinged look on her face, and the way her poses show momentum and impact despite her rotund, seemingly inflexible figure. If she's to go down here, there better be a few scenes of fighting left. It makes you wonder what could have been if Oda had decided give a chapter or two to Luffy's attempt to fight her at the wedding, rather than letting him throw one punch before the retreat.

I feel Killer is somewhat slept on by the fanbase, even after holding his own among the monsters on the roof, but this chapter makes it clear that Oda's got a whole lot more affection for the guy than us readers ever expected. His fast, acrobatic fighting style makes for some incredibly dynamic panels.

It's perhaps a little odd that Hawkins took damage when Zoro attacked his strawman at the start of this arc but is unaffected by Killer's beheading of it now. But since it was powered by different cards each time, I guess there'll be a copout SBS explanation about the Heirophant transferring damage to the user while Death does not, or only reversed taking damage if the card is reversed or something equally contrived. Takedowns in Wano have been unexpectedly but pleasingly brutal. Hawkins joins the ranks of Who's Who and Black Maria in suffering violent finshers, but taking it to the next level with some permanent disfigurement in at least his lost arm, if not also his slashed-up face. The visual of the deck scattering around him is an obvious end point to a character who uses cards to fight, but damned if it doesn't look great every time. Hawkins' role in the story ends a little flat. He's a character with some great visual design - especially his final scarecrow form, but very little of note in the personality department. I wonder if we'll ever get back to the man with a 1% chance of survival...

With Kid and Law now ready to fight Big Mom properly, the final stage of the battle draws ever closer. I think we might get one or two pages of their fight with her next week to make it clear Kid's a force to reckon with now that he's not hobbled, but then we need to cut away to deal with the last of the scrubs like Apoo, Orochi and Fukurokuju. I still think it's likely we'll be down to just Big Mom and Kaido as enemies before the end of this volume, but Oda definitely needs to keep his foot on the gas if things are going to reach a conclusion that feels decently paced.

Killer was always more cooler than than the other worst generationials. Except Zoro and Urouge of course. Kaido crippled him, but holy shit, after that it's just magic.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information