View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    113 81.29%
  • No

    26 18.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 956

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

  1. #101
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    So you expect Zoro and Sanji to master CoC-based attacks while also gaining the additional strength of a mythical zoan-based DF by the end of this arc?
    They just have to become stronger. That's it.

    Besides there's no measure for that until the next opponent who would have to be stronger than the current ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I hope it’s a new character

    I can’t think of any characters we already know that would join the Black Beards Crew except maybe Urouge or if Oda really wants to fuck with expectations Gin
    Gin picking another wrong and bad captain, I hope not.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  2. #102

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    I want to comment on the Oden thing. He abandoned Wano before he knew about the importance of the Poneglyphs and One Piece. Aimless adventure was his reason for sailing with Whitebeard.

    He sensed destiny calling him to part ways with Whitebeard and join Roger. He returned to Wano and wanted to stay, but Toki insisted he keep traveling with Roger. After he matured, Oden felt a sense of obligation to Wano, but realized he was the only one who could lead Roger to the final island. By that point, he began to snse the importance of the voyage. Leading Roger to One Piece had global importance and he only left Wano the second time because his mission was even more pressing. Oden had a higher calling.

    If Yamato sails with the Straw Hats, I think it would be built on a dream or calling which cannot be accomplished on Wano. Aimless adventure was not the reason Oden sailed with Roger, so I don't think it fits as Yamato's reason for sailing with the Straw Hats. This doesn't mean Yamato can't sail with them, but she has already said she wouldn't leave until Wano was liberated from Kaido. Her departure is conditional. If the Marines complicate the situation on Wano, unless Yamato has a pressing desire / dream, I can't see her making the choice to leave. Oden would not make that choice. So what I'm suggesting is that for Yamato to depart with the Straw Hats, I'm looking for Oda to fill in a dream / motivating desire beyond 'being free like Oden.'
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

    "ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

  3. #103

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    You stated it and acknowledged it yourself though. I'm not even sure why I have to make an argument for that.
    I didn't.

    Or were you using that stance to try and apply it to Yamato?
    My point is that folks with the above mindset (which I said multiple times is not mine) should feel there's a point in the argument that Yamato could stay if Wano needs it. And my ulterior motive is that, otherwise, people could be less condenatory against Oden as if he's responsible.

    If you're not pretending Oden wasn't the son of the shogun, made a daimyo, came back wanting to open Wano's borders and made a deal with Kaido/Orochi, then fought Kaido then I'm not sure we're even talking about the same story.
    I'm not pretending anything. Even when Oden came back to Wano for the last time, he never intended to be Shogun (see below), which is a sentiment he had his ENTIRE LIFE and always made clear to everybody. Oden never wanted to do anything with royalty and instead chose to be free. He became a pirate when Whitebeard came and that was his true status when he visited Wano with Roger before Laugh Tale, so his only "obligations" should be coherent with this fact (a pirate). If Oden did heroic things and fought against Kaido, those were the action of a FREE man willing to take the burden of others upon himself, not a prince doing his obligations. Oden accepted his lineage as an excuse to protect people, but never because of his will.



    Oden was told of his duty and he decided not to do it. That's the story. If you think it wasn't an obligation, okay but
    Thank you.

    Yamato as we've seen grew up idolizing Oden, admiring samurai, hoping to be one, accepted by them, and then was chained up on Onigashima for 20 years.

    Yamato at the age of 8 declared he would come back to Wano (assuming that he would leave) and help free Wano according to the prediction/prophecy Oden made. Yamato chose to do that. This is already a fact stated in the story. There's no reason to make up a reason to say Yamato is responsible for his father's actions. That's like a made up thing to throw out there when Yamato has already committed himself to freeing Wano. If the story was Yamato feels he needs make up for everything his father has done then story would be that.
    Start reading my words with more care, please. I'm tired of having to reply saying that I stated the opposite. It's not my opinion that Yamato should be responsible for his father's actions. I'm against that. But anyone who thinks that our responsability also rests in our lineage and in our family's actions/status should also think that Yamato has a debt to Wano because of Kaido.

    Calling Kaido the effective ruler of Wano rigs false. He's the power behind Orochi but from what we've seen he's remained a pirate and his base is in Onigashima. He got his weapon making factories and thats all he cared for. He didn't rule Wano. He couldn't be bothered with it.
    That's just rethoric, sorry. Kaido is the effective ruler of Wano because anything he desires weights above Orochi, who is only the puppet and some sort of minister named Shogun. And you'll find many DIALOGUES stating that reasoning in all three Acts of Wano.

  4. #104

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Gin picking another wrong and bad captain, I hope not.
    I don’t think it will happen either I just find it weird he hasn’t shown up yet

  5. #105
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post


    I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, I am, however, challenging opinions, and that's a perfectly valid arguing technique.
    This is a lie.

    You literally just said I accused Oden of being wrong for following his dreams.

    I never did that. I never even implied that. Not even "in essence".

    Unless you can find the post where I ever said that.

    Lying is not a valid arguing technique. Also please stop assuming. It's easier to just ask if this is my stance so you can get a direct answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I don’t think it will happen either I just find it weird he hasn’t shown up yet
    At this point I'm guessing he's just waiting to be a strawhat ally or he's already been recruited by Shanks. Just adds to that reunion.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  6. #106

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    You literally just said I accused Oden of being wrong for following his dreams.
    You don't know what "literally" means, since I didn't say anything like that.

    I just took your logic to an extreme and asked you a question based on that.

    Any accusation you imagined is solely in your own head.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  7. #107

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    They just have to become stronger. That's it.

    Besides there's no measure for that until the next opponent who would have to be stronger than the current ones.
    As they get stronger, so would Yamato. Or are you saying Yamato will stay the same or get weaker as they conveniently get stronger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    No. You literally just made up the tenets for a rule and just called it "tradition".

    All I'm saying is your assumptions about Yamato won't and don't have to break the rule regardless of what you think.
    It's not me making up a tenet or anything if I'm simply stating what the author has historically done. It's his story and he's chosen to stick to the same dynamic.

    Everything about your power scaling analysis of why Jimbe isn't stronger than Zoro or Sanji is ridiculous. It doesn't make sense or is even consistent with the facts about Jimbe and his fights.

    And again like I just said the answer is your precious tradition won't be broken.

    Monster trio is taking on top 3 strongest characters (Big Mom aside) and Yamato hasn't defeated anyone to fit in that ranking. All he's done is knock out a tobi roppo, attack another, and stall a yonkou for a bit.

    It's totally on you if you want to pretend that means he's stronger than Sanji and Zoro. Same way its on you for thinking Jimbe (easily) beating a weaker tobi roppo opponent means he's weaker than Sanji and Zoro.
    I don't have to pretend when we've seen what happened to Zoro when he challenged a Yonko and what we saw Yamato do against one. You pretend like readers can't make objective observations based on what we've seen in the story in terms of "power levels" with the SHs, but we can. We know that King and Queen are the two strongest in Kaido's crew and that Zoro and Sanji will defeat them. We can trace the "monster three" opponents back to Arlong Park and it's been consistent, so I don't have to make anything up. The story tells us everything that we need it to and thus far, it's that Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji are consistently portrayed as the strongest SHs.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; October 18th, 2021 at 09:07 PM.

  8. #108

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    It's not my rule. It's the standard that's been set since east blue. Arguments can be made about Robin and Franky being strong, but by the time they officially joined, Luffy, Zoro, and Zoro were still considered the three strongest and always faced the three strongest opponents. The question is does that standard get broken after 20+ years.


    It's not fan made. We don't decide who the SHs face during an arc. Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji usually face the three strongest. Arlong Park, Arabasta, Enies Lobby, and FI. Then the split ups started happening and now that they're all back together, Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji are again taking on the three strongest.
    Yeah, I mean, can't call it "fan made" when the story has been throwing at our faces that they're the Wings of the Pirate King.
    Although the reason Oda has been pushing it now could be because of two new powerhouses joining, as prior to that, obviously the rest of the crew didn't come close to them. In any case, I seriously doubt that pattern is going anywhere, Yamato or not.

  9. #109
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I didn't.
    You definitely brought it up yourself several times which is why I didn't feel the need to. I thought it was obvious what I was talking about and why.

    Later on you claim to be confused and state two different possible reasonings but I just ignored that cuz I figured my post would be clear that I'm talking about Oden as son of the shogun, his duty, obligations, etc.



    My point is that folks with the above mindset (which I said multiple times is not mine) should feel there's a point in the argument that Yamato could stay if Wano needs it. And my ulterior motive is that, otherwise, people could be less condenatory against Oden as if he's responsible.
    You don't have to keep repeating its not your mindset. I never once said it was yours.

    I did however, say why the comparison to Yamato and applying it to him was wrong. The two characters are in two different situations so it can not apply.

    When someone ditches their obligations they're not really responsible for what happens after. Perhaps that's where you're really confused with my stance.

    Oden had a duty. He didn't want it. He wanted to leave and explore the world. Didn't get to leave and found himself as daimyo after building up a once lawless area. Still didn't want that responsibility but did it cuz of new friends. When he got his chance though, he ditched them.

    It was a selfish decision but he was pursuing his dream and its not like he left them to deal with a bunch of evil bad guys.

    It doesn't really matter how you want to frame your argument that's what happened.

    Saying Oden never had a duty or obligation to begin with isn't true.


    I'm not pretending anything. Even when Oden came back to Wano for the last time, he never intended to be Shogun (see below), which is a sentiment he had his ENTIRE LIFE and always made clear to everybody. Oden never wanted to do anything with royalty and instead chose to be free. He became a pirate when Whitebeard came and that was his true status when he visited Wano with Roger before Laugh Tale, so his only "obligations" should be coherent with this fact (a pirate). If Oden did heroic things and fought against Kaido, those were the action of a FREE man willing to take the burden of others upon himself, not a prince doing his obligations. Oden accepted his lineage as an excuse to protect people, but never because of his will.
    So wait you think that Oden thought he could open Wano's borders without being shogun?

    What was all that talk of Toki telling Momo he would one day become shogun?

    The story says otherwise but again its okay if you think that.



    Thank you.
    Its okay to be wrong.



    Start reading my words with more care, please. I'm tired of having to reply saying that I stated the opposite.
    I think you should pay attention to what I'm saying.


    It's not my opinion that Yamato should be responsible for his father's actions. I'm against that.
    I didn't say that either. Again, read what im actually replying to.

    But anyone who thinks that our responsability also rests in our lineage and in our family's actions/status should also think that Yamato has a debt to Wano because of Kaido.
    This is what I'm saying is bullshit.

    I don't know whats so hard to understand.

    You're trying to say anyone who thinks Oden abandoned his obligations because of lineage should also think Yamato owes a debt to Wano because of Kaido's actions.

    That is bull shit.

    Sorry but that thinking is clearly wrong.

    Owen denying obligation is not in any way a parallel to Yamato owing a debt to Wano cuz of his father's actions.

    Those are two completely different situations. They're no similar at all.

    First off Oden being the son of a shogun and expectations that he should one day rule the country because of lineage has nothing to do with being responsible for his father's actions as shogun or even as a person.

    This idea that a child should pay for their parents actions has absolutely nothing to do with the line of succession in a noble family or royalty. You kind of just made this comparison up on the fly and it is a poor one.

    Keep in mind again, I'm not saying this is your stance. I'm saying the comparison you're trying to make doesn't work.

    Secondly, exactly why as Kaido's son does Yamato become indebted to Wano? That premise involves a bunch of assumptions. Oda literally baked in that subplot with the persecution of the Kurozumi's and you're trying to equate it basically to a prince's duties to his kingdom. They don't have anything to do with each other.

    Also if anything, to make a proper comparison, Yamato being Kaido's son would mean Yamato is expected to do the same exact things Kaido has done not being indebted to the ppl of Wano. You know, the stuff Kaido has been telling Yamato in the story?



    That's just rethoric, sorry.
    Sounds more like playing semantics.
    Kaido is the effective ruler of Wano because anything he desires weights above Orochi, who is only the puppet and some sort of minister named Shogun. And you'll find many DIALOGUES stating that reasoning in all three Acts of Wano.
    Yeah, that's why CP0 is in Onigashima.

    That's why they've been doing business with Orochi for years.

    Cuz Kaido told Orochi to?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    As they get stronger, so would Yamato. Or are you saying Yamato will stay the same or get weaker as they conveniently get stronger?
    Or they'll just get stronger than Yamato.

    Yamato doesn't have to stop getting stronger.

    Its the same way you assume Jimbe has either stopped getting stronger or Sanji and Zoro have managed to get stronger than him.


    It's not me making up a tenet or anything if I'm simply stating what the author has historically done. It's his story and he's chosen to stick to the same dynamic.
    You should simply keep thinking this after Yamato joins the crew.

    Keep it simple.8k9

    8I don't have to pretend when we've seen what happened to Zoro when he challenged a Yonko and what we saw Yamato do against one. You pretend like readers can't make objective observations based on what we've seen in the story in terms of "power levels" with the SHs, but we can. We know that King and Queen are the two strongest in Kaido's crew and that Zoro and Sanji will defeat them. We can trace the "monster three" opponents jack to Arlong Park and it's been consistent, so I don't have to make anything up. The story tells us everything that we need it to and thus far, it's that Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji are consistently portrayed as the strongest SHs.
    I've already said this power scaling bullshit.

    Its funny though how you can keep two inconsistent thoughts in your mind simultaneously.

    The monster trio are always the three strongest strawhats. Yamato is stronger than Sanji and Zoro.

    *Yamato joins the strawhats*

    Oh no what will happen to the precious consistent tradition of the monster trio. Seems impossible that Zoro and Sanji will become stronger than Yamato.

    Power scaling bullshit at its finest.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    You don't know what "literally" means, since I didn't say anything like that.

    I just took your logic to an extreme and asked you a question based on that.
    No you didn't.

    You lied. In essence lol.

    Nothing about my logic has anything to do with Oden being wrong for following his dreams.

    You made that up and can't even own up to that.

    It's pathetic.

    Any accusation you imagined is solely in your own head.
    You should really reread your post.
    Last edited by Zik; October 18th, 2021 at 09:41 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  10. #110

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    It’s funny that people are dismissing how much people complained that Jinbei would destroy the monster trio if he joined until he fought who’s who and Zoro and Sanji fought King and Queen, I’d say hindsight is 20/20 but it was only a couple of months ago so it’s really not even that far back in the rearview mirror

    I had a friend who constantly told me Jinbei might die on Whole Cake Island because of this and a ton of people here did the exact same thing

    It’s just weird how quickly people forget and then repeat the same mistake

  11. #111

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Why?
    Because Usopp's lie is about 8000 followers not 16000.

    Do 8000 more strong warriors not exist? We still got giants and a couple more groups to meet and islands to go.
    And all those people will be in the last remaining 2400. It is not a matter if they exist or not. The current fleet already are Usopp's followers. Adding 8000 more to the current number would change the total amount in the lie.

    This doesn't have much to do with what I'm saying about Usopp getting 8000 followers. If anything all of that points to Usopp being able to do it again not that he can't or won't.
    There is no need to do it again, as the process already started.

    The idea Usopp can only gain 2400 more followers is limiting and pretty silly. Extremely arbitrary.
    It's more like he needs 2400 more followers to complete his lie about having 8000 followers. Like, the story says that Usopp will gain 8000 followers a process that started in Dressrosa. The fleet of followers amounted to 5600, seems pretty straightforward to say: yeah they will at least gain 2400 more, before going, well Usopp is going to gain 8000 extra followers beside the 5600 he already has. But if you believe that, sure.

    I mean that's okay if you think it was a perfect chance.
    Perfect is an exaggeration, but I'd say a good one to say the least.

    I'd agree if I thought Yamato's flashbacks were done or Kaido wouldn't get one or if Yamato wasn't going to interact with Kaido again.
    I guess there is still room for other important characters to appear.

    Regardless, I don't think Luffy will be making new siblings with Yamato or anyone else.
    Probably not, but I think it would be cool if he did.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

  12. #112
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    Because Usopp's lie is about 8000 followers not 16000.
    Yeah, I don't agree in accrediting the grand fleet members except for those that exchanged sake cups solely as Usopp's followers instead of the strawhats grand fleet.

    Also seems more likely to me Usopp would gain his 8000 followers all at once not in some keep up with amount every arc or so and add them up near the end. I don't see the cap on what Usopp does as only 2400 left.

    Way too limiting.



    And all those people will be in the last remaining 2400. It is not a matter if they exist or not.
    That's the thing. I'm not going with this limit of 2400 when it should easily exceed that.

    The current fleet already are Usopp's followers.
    Seem more like Luffy followers to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    It’s funny that people are dismissing how much people complained that Jinbei would destroy the monster trio if he joined until he fought who’s who and Zoro and Sanji fought King and Queen, I’d say hindsight is 20/20 but it was only a couple of months ago so it’s really not even that far back in the rearview mirror

    I had a friend who constantly told me Jinbei might die on Whole Cake Island because of this and a ton of people here did the exact same thing

    It’s just weird how quickly people forget and then repeat the same mistake
    I await for that same fleeting memory in the next arc's enemies.

    It's why I don't find that power scaling argument to be credible at all.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  13. #113

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    So you expect Zoro and Sanji to master CoC-based attacks while also gaining the additional strength of a mythical zoan-based DF by the end of this arc?
    Nah, you get it wrong.

    What I was trying to say is, Zoro and Sanji can be stronger than Yamato despite having no CoC.

    Haki is not everything, dude.

    For example, Luffy with no haki was still a lot stronger than almost all women in Amazon Lily who are very proficient in using haki.

  14. #114

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonouchi View Post
    The Strawhat Grand Fleet is pretty clearly just for the Drssrosa Cast.

    Everyone bonded and followed Luffy throughout the arc and all made the decision to follow them even Bellamy got a piece of the Vivre Card and its made mention that they would perform a great act.

    Its pretty clear the Grand Fleet is not expanding.

    Also to say Kaido and by extension Yamato have some kind of Duty to Wano by being "rulers" he is a tyrannical dictator that seized power by killing all those who stood up to him and keeps the current Shogun up as a Puppet and exploits the people to

    Trying to say Yamato has any kind of duty to that is insulting, people need to look up history and imperialism
    The idea is that Usopp’s lies always come true, and he said multiple times he has 8000 followers

    But there’s only 5640 members so far in the grand fleet, so maybe they’ll get more

  15. #115

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    For the power scaling argument, IMHO I don’t think it even matters. Recently we know by Robin’s statement, that Sanji is “Wings of The Pirate King.” Means that “Pirate King and his Wings” are the new thing for Monster Trio. That also means with Yamato joining, no matter how strong Yamato is, Oda will still give Zoro & Sanji
    two of the strongest opponents right below the main antagonist. In fact with Yamato joining, Oda can focus on keep powering up Zoro & Sanji by giving them the more important fights, while giving Jimbei & Yamato the less important ones. This is pretty much like a game. The further you go, the higher your level, and the harder the enemies are. Expecting someone strong is definitely one of the keys to win the fights.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boombalaga View Post
    Nah, you get it wrong.

    What I was trying to say is, Zoro and Sanji can be stronger than Yamato despite having no CoC.

    Haki is not everything, dude.

    For example, Luffy with no haki was still a lot stronger than almost all women in Amazon Lily who are very proficient in using haki.
    This is like saying Luffy could beat Kaido despite having no CoC.

  17. #117
    Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maryland

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Yamato is joining and is the last crew member. That's all there is to say.

    That and Oda should make him the First Mate and clearly say he is tied with Luffy as the strongest crew members.

  18. #118

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    This is like saying Luffy could beat Kaido despite having no CoC.
    How can you come up with this conclusion??? My head hurts, man.

    Look, haki is a part of the total power level, right?

    Some people with no haki, can be stronger than some people with haki, if they have other trait to compensate that.

    For example, let’s say I quantify the strength into number, as well as haki.

    For simplicity, assume there are only 2 components.

    Mr. A
    Physical Strength: 500
    Haki: 0 (Mr. A doesn’t know how to use haki)
    Total Power: 500+0 = 500

    Mr. B
    Physical Strength: 200
    Haki: 200
    Total Power: 200+200 = 400

    in this case, you can clearly see that Mr. A can beat Mr. B in a fight even though he can’t use haki.

    Zoro and Sanji in my previous claim follow this logic. They CAN be stronger than Yamato despite having no advance CoC shit.

    It’s not so difficult to understand, right?

    e.g. Zoro and Sanji may have more battle experiences / skills / physical strength / stamina / etc. than Yamato, and those traits can compensate with them having no CoC.

    Next, moving to Luffy VS Kaido matchup.

    As far as we can see, Kaido is superior to Luffy in almost (if not all) every possible components.

    So Luffy NEEDS the advance CoC techniques in order to take down Kaido who also have this type of power.

    or else, Luffy won’t have any means to win against Kaido, who pretty much have it all.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    Yamato is joining and is the last crew member. That's all there is to say.

    That and Oda should make him the First Mate and clearly say he is tied with Luffy as the strongest crew members.
    I doubt that. I welcome new crewmates showing up at any time. There's no deadline one is obligated to follow-up on after all, as well as how Oda has made short-lived character be memorable before.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    That also means with Yamato joining, no matter how strong Yamato is, Oda will still give Zoro & Sanji
    two of the strongest opponents right below the main antagonist. In fact with Yamato joining, Oda can focus on keep powering up Zoro & Sanji by giving them the more important fights, while giving Jimbei & Yamato the less important ones.
    Is that what people are scared of in regards to Yamato joining? Scared that Zoro and Sanji will be treated as more useless back wings in favor of Yamato being part of the front wings with Jinbe, and that characters' worth should be gaged merely for what fights they're apart of?

  20. #120
    Partly Sunny Syphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

    Personally, I don't agree with the notion that Oden leaving Wano was a mistake. Oden leaving Wano and going on a journey is what made him "Oden". Toki was saved because Oden left. Also, Roger came to notice Oden because he left. And even after returning and leaving again, there was value in Oden's actions. Roger became Pirate King because of Oden's presence. If not for the Pirate King's existence, the World Government's position of 800 years would not have been challenged. The scholars of Ohara (Nico Olivia, her husband and other scholars) tried to use the truth to challenge the World Government but their efforts were stalled and passed onto Robin. What began to challenge the World Government was the title of Pirate King and the One Piece. Even Dragon's Revolutionary Army could be said to have been an outcome from Roger's final moments, a scene that would not have played out if Oden did not leave Wano. Oden's actions in the past are part of the reason why the World Government is currently being contested.

    With Oden not leaving, Wano may have been spared from Kaido and Orochi's tyranny but the world at large would still be caught in the clutches of the World Government with no apparent path to freedom. Wano suffered so the world could be saved.

    Even now, the actions of Oden resonates through the ages, whispering to those brave enough to go against the status quo a message of freedom and hope. Yamato heard him and has carried on his will for twenty long years. What Oden sought wasn't just Wano's freedom but the world's freedom.

    Yamato will leave Wano to not only save Wano but also the world. A future Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates also represent.

    I have already made the mistake before of underestimating the importance of Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates journey and I don't feel like making that mistake again. Back during the Fish-Man Island Arc I began to doubt Jinbe's chances of becoming a Straw Hat nakama because I felt his dream was too significant to be aligned with that of a Pirate crew hoping to sail through the whole Grand Line. At that time, I did not consider Luffy's actions having worldwide consequences in terms of governance, equality, politics and freedom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin
    Before the timeskip I had thought Jinbe had a very good chance of joining the Strawhats, but now that Jinbe's past is revealed and his dream laid out, it seems that he would be better off not joining the Strawhats - the crew members dreams all link to and support Luffy's dream of being Pirate King, but with Jinbe's dream, I fail to see how Luffy being Pirate King will help his dream of having Fishmen and Humans coexist with one another.

    [Source]
    My opinion changed when I seen how Oda crafted Jinbe's moment of giving his blood to Luffy with the whole of Fish-Man Island spectating despite the act being a crime as per Fish-Man Island laws. From this point forward, I realised how consequential the actions of the Straw Hat Pirates can be. The Straw Hat Pirates CAN change the world.

    The story of liberating Wano, isn't just about liberating Wano. It lays down a path toward the eventual liberation of the World brought about by the efforts of Wano, the Straw Hat Pirates, and their allies (Grand Fleet, Law, Zou, etc). It is no coincidence Oda has the World Government currently targeting Wano. Once the World Government fail, they will realise the true danger of Monkey D. Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates. Freedom is a theme central to Yamato's character and a theme central to One Piece. Yamato will represent the piece within the Straw Hat Pirates that gets them to accept the fate they embody - the force that ushers in an age of freedom. The Straw Hat Pirates aren't just merely pirates sailing the Grand Line. After Kaido is defeated and Wano is opened, the Straw Hat Pirates will represent more than that. They will be a force that directly stands against the World Government and their 800 years of history. Yamato's presence within the crew will serve as the bridge that helps the Straw Hat Pirates accept such a responsibility. The "dawn" they will help bring about isn't going to be a concept they will remain unaware of. Along with helping to inspire coexistence, the Straw Hat Pirates will inspire freedom around the world. With such an end in sight, it seems almost necessary to have a character like Yamato join the Straw Hat Pirates.

    What Yamato truly seeks isn't found in Wano.

    Spoiler:













+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. Lemony
  2. Solid

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts