View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

113 81.29%
  • No

26 18.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Will it be devastating if a new crewmate displays more strength than Zoro and San

I don't get why people are still talking about the Monster Trio now that Jimbei's officially on board. I even have to re-evaluate my assessment of the crew's dynamic with this new display of everyone's talents. It used to be, Powerhouses (Luffy, Sanji, Jimbei, Zoro), the weaklings who made up for it with special skills (Usopp, Nami, Brook, Robin), and the hybrids who were able to boost their strength with a versatile skill set (Chopper's transformations, especially Monster Point, and Franky with the Shogun). Because of how those numbers worked out, I was thinking the next one should logically be one of the Hybrids but since Robin showed us that Devil thing, plus the Manos Gigantes type attacks, I think it's safe to move her over there and leave the non-Powerhouses at 3 and 3. So there isn't really any place more appropriate than another at this point for anyone to join without throwing the balance off. Though if I had to guess, and Yamato is my current #1 candidate for new nakama, I'd say Yamato actually falls into the Hybrid category since even with her obvious strength, her transformation capability probably has more applications than just brute strength. I can't say as yet whether she will end up displaying a greater degree of strength than any of the Powerhouses but even if that's the case, I don't think it's problematic. I can't imagine what her role in the crew would be so it's not like being stronger than the First Mate is going to correspond to a particular job.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    This can also be a good opportunity for having Luffy lose big, second defeat since the split. The party will still happen.
    I don't quite follow on that because this is literally a built up event over 10 years and people expect it to culminate in a defeat? I'm just so very doubtful. In no shape or form does Wano follow any of the signs that Sabaody and Marineford fell into. With EL and Thriller Bark pushing Luffy beyond his limits and Sabaody and Marineford being the big red flags of you're not ready.
    When you look at the leadup to Wano it's consistently Luffy mastering skills to get ready, he is consistently proclaiming to be ready to challenge everyone in his way to pirate king(no hesistation to go for Kaido since Punk Hazard, no fear challenging Fujitora, etc).
    Beyond that Luffy this arc has already gone through 2 major power ups. Advanced COA and COC infusion.
    I don't know for me everything points towards this leading to a triumph that will shake the world. Luffy having to run and the WG taking over Wano goes so against that I'm like 80% sure that won't happen.

As for the party will still happen? In what way if they have to run away. That's not a mood to have a party in. We're talking about the author that specifically didn't kill characters in the past to make the parties at the end have the gloom hanging over them.

I don't see how Wano joining the WG would be a defeat for Luffy. He didn't go there to conquer it, his goal was always defeating Kaido. Pirates are fighting on Onigashima to makke a name for themselves at the expenses of the old glories, the quite literal dinosaurs of this era. Samurais are fighting to put an end to 20 years of oppresion at the hands of Kaido and Orochi and to avenge Oden. What happens next is non-factor for the former (except maybe i could see Kid wanting to replace Kaido) and a secondary matter to the latter, except for the purpose of "opening the borders"... which basically coincides with joining the WG.

Keep in mind that Wano is not just another island, we know that it's crucial for very important reasons that have been repeatedly teased till now. It's highly unlikely that the WG would let it go easily just after one initial setback, they'd just keep coming with greater and greater force against one small country coming from two decades of famine and enslavement, it would be suicidial for any Shogun to defy them.
    Luffy already got everything he had to gain from this: the soon to be Shogun of wano and the entire elite are his personal friends and owe him everything, and will undoubtly take his side at the final showdown, he gained advanceed combat expertise, huge insights on the final phase of his journey, peerless glory and renown.

And once again, remember the Marines now have a super-duper weapon that turned the seven warlords from an asset to a liability basically overnight, and there-s no way it-s not what they-re going to use against emperors. If it was defeated immediately at its first showing, that would be unbelievably anticlimatic, and would make a complete joke of a wolrd government military as an anatagonist to our rebellious heroes.

to keep all this somehow in-topic: it's the same reasoning i follow for Yamato joining: it's been setup, it makes narrative sense, therefore it's going to happen. Unless i'm missing something.
    Last edited by Alfiere; October 20th, 2021 at 09:48 AM.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I don't quite follow on that because this is literally a built up event over 10 years and people expect it to culminate in a defeat? I'm just so very doubtful. In no shape or form does Wano follow any of the signs that Sabaody and Marineford fell into.
    Oh, there are several, alright. What's funny is that Oda has laid them all bare even as he's lulling readers into a false sense of security. Winter's gonna be fun.

It's a defeat because would the island be really celebrating going from yonko tyranny into wg occupation? The type of party I strongly expect is the whole of Wano having a true fire festival with people being happy with no asterisk hanging over them.
    The more I write it out the more I feel it would be immensely non Oda to go in that direction. In Luffy's own words, the party he is looking forward to have after his victory is the "biggest and best party" yet. That's just not going to work with an actual WG occupation. I don't also think that's a very coherent narrative conclusion to "opening Wano's borders". To me that phrase very much speaks to the idea of opening yourself up to the freedoms/experience the wider world can offer vs staying isolated and limited. It's in line with what Oden's original feelings were about wanting to leave Wano in the first place.
    To think that the end of that is "become a puppet to the WG and help Luffy escape" .... nah I really think that's a big no go. We'll see soon.

So wait now people are suggesting that Yamato’s role in the story is to have babies with Momo? Who has the mind of a child? And no one’s talking about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    So wait now people are suggesting that Yamato’s role in the story is to have babies with Momo? Who has the mind of a child? And no one’s talking about this?
    I'm just generally trying to ignore stuff that has 0 merit and not comment on it even if I fail along the way here and there. Cause realistically what is there to discuss with that cause that's just such a fundamentally different read on the story that it's unlikely there is much to agree on and time will prove it as a misread.

I don't quite follow on that because this is literally a built up event over 10 years and people expect it to culminate in a defeat? I'm just so very doubtful. In no shape or form does Wano follow any of the signs that Sabaody and Marineford fell into. With EL and Thriller Bark pushing Luffy beyond his limits and Sabaody and Marineford being the big red flags of you're not ready.
    When you look at the leadup to Wano it's consistently Luffy mastering skills to get ready, he is consistently proclaiming to be ready to challenge everyone in his way to pirate king(no hesistation to go for Kaido since Punk Hazard, no fear challenging Fujitora, etc).
    Beyond that Luffy this arc has already gone through 2 major power ups. Advanced COA and COC infusion.
    I don't know for me everything points towards this leading to a triumph that will shake the world. Luffy having to run and the WG taking over Wano goes so against that I'm like 80% sure that won't happen.

As for the party will still happen? In what way if they have to run away. That's not a mood to have a party in. We're talking about the author that specifically didn't kill characters in the past to make the parties at the end have the gloom hanging over them.
    I will elaborate further after the chapter drops, but Luffy can defeat Kaido and have that culmination, but fail to liberate Wano. I do not think it will be the WG. As there is someone ready to pay them back from their interference in Baltigo.

I'll be elaborating on this post from 2016:

Quote Originally Posted by QUOTE=K. Kira XXIII View Post
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    I will elaborate further after the chapter drops, but Luffy can defeat Kaido and have that culmination, but fail to liberate Wano. I do not think it will be the WG. As there is someone ready to pay them back from their interference in Baltigo.

I'll be elaborating on this post from 2016:
    I glanced over and I've seen the Blackbeard angle before and at earlier times in this arc I would have thought yeah plausible but I think we're way past that right now. Structurally the trajectory of this arc is heading towards the celebration there will be some atypical melancholy for the few main story relevant lives lost like Yasue but in general anything that would dilute the party scene with a huge asterisk I don't see it happening. Like if that really was going to be the case to me Oda wouldn't have given the promise of that party in that way and more importantly he wouldn't have centered so many character storylines around Wano restoring its freedom and loyalty to the Kozuki line. Also I feel like the fire festival was introduced to contrast later with a proper festival/party.
    Blackbeard crashing the party would be a very abrupt end to things and would massively clash with any party mood. The other way of it extending the fight would be even worse cause that would mean Wano length would extend even more which seems so structurally unhealthy right now.

To add I def feel like I have generally very basic and boring takes on Oda very much based on what I perceive to be his preferences over the last 1000 chapters.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 20th, 2021 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I mean, there is something to be said for not dignifying that nonsense with a response...

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

I glanced over and I've seen the Blackbeard angle before and at earlier times in this arc I would have thought yeah plausible but I think we're way past that right now. Structurally the trajectory of this arc is heading towards the celebration there will be some atypical melancholy for the few main story relevant lives lost like Yasue but in general anything that would dilute the party scene with a huge asterisk I don't see it happening. Like if that really was going to be the case to me Oda wouldn't have given the promise of that party in that way and more importantly he wouldn't have centered so many character storylines around Wano restoring its freedom and loyalty to the Kozuki line.
    Blackbeard crashing the party would be a very abrupt end to things and would massively clash with any party mood. The other way of it extending the fight would be even worse cause that would mean Wano length would extend even more which seems so structurally unhealthy right now.

To add I def feel like I have generally very basic and boring takes on Oda very much based on what I perceive to be his preferences over the last 1000 chapters.
    I'll be adding manga images to update the original post.

But two things to highlight:

Blackbeard said they should get "it" before the WG.
    The WG not the marines (contrast because the marines are generally more ignorant about the secrets of the world/ Wano's importance to the Void Century.) are heading to Wano.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Not to mention that Oda also highlighted that Momo is important moving forward, and losing Wano would be a huge bummer. But Oda can angle it as: the people of Wano is what makes Wano.

Of course, no one will be in the mood to party, until the party man himself shows up to remind Luffy that beating Kaido is a huge step towards his dream. That would be Shanks.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

It’s not time for a party yet. Several characters, as well as Wano as a whole, have yet to reconcile their history and other issues; it’ll be a while yet before harmony is established in the Country Of..

Strawhats have yet to traverse the Tower of Wano, from the bottom up.

It's a defeat because would the island be really celebrating going from yonko tyranny into wg occupation? The type of party I strongly expect is the whole of Wano having a true fire festival with people being happy with no asterisk hanging over them.
    The more I write it out the more I feel it would be immensely non Oda to go in that direction. In Luffy's own words, the party he is looking forward to have after his victory is the "biggest and best party" yet. That's just not going to work with an actual WG occupation. I don't also think that's a very coherent narrative conclusion to "opening Wano's borders". To me that phrase very much speaks to the idea of opening yourself up to the freedoms/experience the wider world can offer vs staying isolated and limited. It's in line with what Oden's original feelings were about wanting to leave Wano in the first place.
    To think that the end of that is "become a puppet to the WG and help Luffy escape" .... nah I really think that's a big no go. We'll see soon.
    Except WG doesn't normally occupy the kingdoms that it includes. It's officially and formally a federation of peers. As long as you don't have to put up with World Noble arrogance, you're kinda fine, on paper at least. The caveat here it's Wano has to join wether it likes it or no, and surely CPs are flocking there since day 1 for shady purposes, but the fact is Momo will have to agree on annexation to actually avoid militar occupation.

If the problem is the party... it just can happen right before the arrival of the warships, or be cut short by it (while still lasting like 3 days instead of an intended 10 for example). It being extremely anticipated gives in fact a great opportunity at shock value for its interruption, and whoever the responsible is going to leave an impact lasting in the upcoming events.
    New world's is supposed to be ruthless and unforgiving, time to show it.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

As far as the ending of the Wano arc, I feel its going to be similar to Enies Lobby/Water 7.

Wano will be liberated, the announcement of Kozuki Momonosuke becoming shogun will spread across the land, they'll all party, Luffy will toast to his new crew mates.

Then CP0 will try to kidnap Robin (maybe again if they try during the raid) and they will fail. The bulk of the WG ships will meet resistance with the Big Mom pirates and her departure. A WG rep will make it Wano and enter ij discussions/negotiations with Momo for Wano to enter the the WG. They'll pretend like they weren't aligned with pirates for appearances same way a bunch of Water 7 shipwright pretended like they didn't just raid Enies Lobby or helped a bunch of pirates. In order to open Wano's borders, Momo will accept Wano being a part of the WG. Luffy's not gonna even give a fuck and simply respect that Momo is acting like a man and leader doing what's right for his ppl. Momo will stretch out the negotiations a couple dats in order for the strawhats and allies to leave Wano with not much problem other than whoever is waiting for them when they begin to leave.

Won't be another round of fighting, nobody is going to try and kill Momo or control him, just a negotiation and acceptance. When the WG sends their ships it doesn't always mean they're getting ready for battle or to subjugate an entire nation.

Only loose thread for me is Kaido. Not sure he'll die. Hard to picture him running away. Imprisoning him again is a waste of time. Doubt he'll have a change of heart. If only Oda provided a cop out excuse like an Oni island and Kaido just went back there like Enel headed to the moon.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I like the character Yamato, but I haven't really been inspired by the idea of Yamato, the crewmate. The stuff I don't like is more a critique of the storytelling than "evidence" that Yamato isn't joining and I've been convinced for some months now that Yamato will indeed join.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I like the character Yamato, but I haven't really been inspired by the idea of Yamato, the crewmate. The stuff I don't like is more a critique of the storytelling than "evidence" that Yamato isn't joining and I've been convinced for some months now that Yamato will indeed join.
    I think what's missing for quite a number of people to help motivate them into being more willing to believe Yamato could join is interacting with the other Straw Hats and having clear purpose beyond Wano that's crucial to being alongside Luffy and the others in the story. Seeing as how events have gone on recently, I think we'll be getting a huge development soon enough.

There's been foreshadowing of Yamato since Jaya. The three most prominent honorifics in Japan are -san, -kun, and -chan. Sanji calls Nami "Nami-swan" and Robin "Robin-chwan", but we've been missing a crewmate that Sanji could affectionately refer to with as -kun, but now we will have "Yamato-kyun".

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    There's been foreshadowing of Yamato since Jaya. The three most prominent honorifics in Japan are -san, -kun, and -chan. Sanji calls Nami "Nami-swan" and Robin "Robin-chwan", but we've been missing a crewmate that Sanji could affectionately refer to with as -kun, but now we will have "Yamato-kyun".
    https://i.imgur.com/Gyyx7jx.png
    https://imgur.com/a/Pywbh1l
    https://imgur.com/a/Pywbh1lhttps://imgur.com/a/Pywbh1l
    Speaking of which, of course I can't prove Yamato was foreshadowed at Alabasta, because of Ace's Vivre Card, since I'm not sure how finalized Yamato's character was at the time, but then again, no one here can prove that Yamato wasn't in mind at all either, so fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Speaking of which, of course I can't prove Yamato was foreshadowed at Alabasta, because of Ace's Vivre Card, since I'm not sure how finalized Yamato's character was at the time, but then again, no one here can prove that Yamato wasn't in mind at all either, so fair enough.
    As a serious response, I Kaido clearly has expectations for Yamato. As a specific piece of evidence of this, he referred to Yamato having CoC as "promising". Promising for what?Kaido was introduced as someone looking for a place to die, yet he still has hopes for Yamato. We can also guess that Oda had planned for Kaido to kill Orochi and install his son as shogun in his place since early on. In these two regards I think "the son of Kaido" has probably been planned for a while. Maybe every single detail (inspired by Oden, met Ace, saved by Ushimaru) wasn't totally worked out until relatively recently, but the broad strokes have probably been in mind for a while, and are thus not retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    As a serious response, I Kaido clearly has expectations for Yamato. As a specific piece of evidence of this, he referred to Yamato having CoC as "promising". Promising for what?Kaido was introduced as someone looking for a place to die, yet he still has hopes for Yamato. We can also guess that Oda had planned for Kaido to kill Orochi and install his son as shogun in his place since early on. In these two regards I think "the son of Kaido" has probably been planned for a while. Maybe every single detail (inspired by Oden, met Ace, saved by Ushimaru) wasn't totally worked out until relatively recently, but the broad strokes have probably been in mind for a while, and are thus not retcons.
    Kaidou was referenced by Garp at Water 7 and by Moria at Thriller Bark, which I'm sure lends enough to Oda thinking about Kaidou's past family life if nothing else.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information