+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 984: ''Luffy Goes Berserk?! Sneaking in to Kaido's Banquet''

Default 984: ''Luffy Goes Berserk?! Sneaking in to Kaido's Banquet''

Luffy and stealth, name a more iconic duo.

Title: ''Luffy Goes Berserk?! Sneaking in to Kaido's Banquet''
    Chapters Covered: 979
    Episode Director: Yasunori Koyama (****)
    Animation Director: Shigefumi Shingaki (**1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 984: ''Luffy Goes Berserk?! Sneaking in to Kaido's Banquet''

One Piece Episode 985 Preview

This episode was brought to you by horny
    Not even Naruto resorted to time travel

That it was. As I said last week:
    Oda: puts everyone, from the crusty old men to the teenaged rabbit-girl, in skimpy leather outfits

​Toei Animation (...):

Great episode. The final scenes of the episode were really nice with Zoro using his conqueror's haki knocking out some of the Kaido's crew that were making him angry about the situation in Ebisu town. Luffy's reaction to all the food being wasted and being reminded about Tama's situation was intense.

So they are showing Zoro and CoC now..Nice

I'm not sure how I feel about the anime "spoiling" the Zoro CoC just yet. I think the moment would have a bigger umph if done at the moment the manga did it, but oh wells, the cats out of the bag now.

Also Yamato confirmed as the hidden shadow behind Robin, so that's no longer a mystery for us

Eh, the anime already did that ten years ago.

And speaking for myself, I legitmately had difficulty understanding why the fandom was losing their shit so hard when I had figured a development like that was inevitable years and years ago.

Oh, yes. The classic Toei Animation playbook of poorly foreshadowing something by blatantly revealing it ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Eh, the anime already did that ten years ago.

And speaking for myself, I legitmately had difficulty understanding why the fandom was losing their shit so hard when I had figured a development like that was inevitable years and years ago.
    It's the execution. That moment from 2009 is vague enough to not be obvious to the average person.

Spoiler:
    When it's actually revealed that Zoro has Conqueror's Haki, it's during a tense, all-or-nothing moment where he goes 100% all-out for the first time. This episode just took most of the vagueness out of it during a scene with no tension and no drama against some mooks. It's clearly Conqueror's Haki. It's not even foreshadowing. It's just them playing their hand early because of reasons.

Biggest problem with this scene is that Zoro shouldn't even be aware that he has it, let alone having control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Spoiler:
    When it's actually revealed that Zoro has Conqueror's Haki, it's during a tense, all-or-nothing moment where he goes 100% all-out for the first time. This episode just took most of the vagueness out of it during a scene with no tension and no drama against some mooks. It's clearly Conqueror's Haki. It's not even foreshadowing. It's just them playing their hand early because of reasons.
    As I said, it's just a personal hangup. Some were acting like Oda had revealed what the One Piece was and I was here like, "Cool, it finally happened. Now how are they going to get out of this jam?"

That said, what was done this episode was indeed a misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    As I said, it's just a personal hangup. Some were acting like Oda had revealed what the One Piece was and I was here like, "Cool, it finally happened. Now how are they going to get out of this jam?"
    For me, the shock factor came from: Oda revealing it in Wano instead of the final arc, and how he tied it to another technique Zoro used before.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Well I guess this is the cost for the latter overwhelming quality episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by goty View Post
    Biggest problem with this scene is that Zoro shouldn't even be aware that he has it, let alone having control over it.
    Yeah, it kind of changes the whole sequence where he does use it later...

All they had to do this episode was add a line from Zoro like "huh?", and we could connect the dots that he is subconsciously using it like the first few times Luffy did

So much great BGM crammed into this episode! Movie 1, Movie 6, Sanji's theme, Stampede. Whoever worked on the soundtrack selection did a fantastic job. I hope they utilise the full library more often.

There was a new BGM track at 11:30. It reminded so much of Stevie Wonder Sir Duke.

Some thoughts...
    - Luffy's inverted colors while running towards the entrance felt a little too much. They're really overusing this post-production effect.
    - The CG on the vehicles stood out quite badly, especially those smooth frames on the background partying arms. How will how Toei manage to pull off this new full CG Dragon Ball Super movie.
    - The variety of background character designs were great for the sheer number. Designs not so repetitive that they aren't unique, but not so interesting that they stand out badly. Huge step-up from Dressrosa.

Man I did not like this episode.

-All the Zoro parts were bad
    -I didn't like the inverted colour gimmick they kept using
    -Lots of low-quality animation moments of dragging a still across the screen
    -A large amount of it dedicated to horny

I hope we don't get more episodes like tihs.

Really fun episode.

Not Koyama's strongest episode, but still definitely a nice follow on from 982 visually, even if it very obviously made in more hurried circumstances.

It looks like the animators may have had a difficult time with actually properly realizing elements of the storyboard.

Can't really expect much visually from a Shingaki episode with really no one of particular note on it.

So-so episode tbh. Didn't particularly care for them showing Luffy and Zoro running off twice, as I feel it kinda took away some of the comedic impact from Jinbe telling the crew.
    Best part was definitely the sentai-esque introduction of Franky's vehicles though. That was pure camp in the best way. I didn't even mind that a lot of the shots didn't have proper backgrounds as that just added to said campiness. Which I have to imagine was the intent.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Wow I think this was easily the worst episode of Wano, definitely the worst I could remember recently. Have these directors done any other episodes recently, or are they new?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information