+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 982: "Kaido's Trump Card - The Tobi Roppo Arrive"

Default Re: 982: "Kaido's Trump Card - The Tobi Roppo Arrive"

"PRESENTED BY ONIGASHIMA"

Holy shit what an episode

More moments that I loved:

-The viewpoint looking up through the table as the Akazaya Nine discuss their plans. The way Kin's hand has presence as if touching the invisible table in our faces, and the little details like the half-obstructed faces of the Nine moving throughout this scene, especially Raizo's facial expressions.

-The cute girls swarming all over Orochi. Their faces and behavior took me out of One Piece, and made me feel like I was watching a slice of life anime. This one part of the scene where two of the girls are laying on Orochi and talking to each other, and the girl on the right has her mouth obstructed by her arm...I don't know why, but that was just super cute, and it stood out to me.

-During the "music video", King walks by outside the dance floor and rolls his eyes. LOL

I'm going to rewatch the episode later, and I'll probably catch even more details during repeat viewings.

Don't you love how nowadays, average-quality episodes are still plenty enjoyable and well-produced while standout episodes are THIS?

If you told me back in the Fishman Island era that the anime would ever be this consistently good, I would probably laugh. Like, seriously, I remember when this arc first started and people were like "Yeah that was a really good opener but will this quality really hold?" Not only has the show managed to maintain the quality it had at the start of Wano, it's gotten better as the arc went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Don't you love how nowadays, average-quality episodes are still plenty enjoyable and well-produced while standout episodes are THIS?

If you told me back in the Fishman Island era that the anime would ever be this consistently good, I would probably laugh. Like, seriously, I remember when this arc first started and people were like "Yeah that was a really good opener but will this quality really hold?" Not only has the show managed to maintain the quality it had at the start of Wano, it's gotten better as the arc went on.
    To your point, itíll be very interesting to see how they handle 50+ episodes of action, which tend to require more serious animation consistently.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Wow. That was the greatest pirate crew introduction in the entire story.

Added a whole new level to Kaido's crew for me.

I actually look back a bit let down how we got introduced to the WB and BM pirates in comparison.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I was so happy of this episode I had to resume my sprite artist skill just to pay a tiny tribute to Queen's dance for my new avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

This episode was SO hype, so well directed, truly elevating the source material. I haven't watched an episode of One Piece since shortly after the timeskip, and how cool for it to have been this one.
    The buzz TV Wano has been getting sounds completely earned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    This episode was SO hype, so well directed, truly elevating the source material. I haven't watched an episode of One Piece since shortly after the timeskip, and how cool for it to have been this one.
    The buzz TV Wano has been getting sounds completely earned.
    Go check out episode 957, too. lol
    Last edited by G1Ravage; July 11th, 2021 at 05:35 PM.

Yea, definitely check out 957

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Wow. That was the greatest pirate crew introduction in the entire story.

Added a whole new level to Kaido's crew for me.

I actually look back a bit let down how we got introduced to the WB and BM pirates in comparison.
    While the Beast Pirates obviously got the best directed intro in the series, don't sleep on Big Mom being introduced through song. To me, that was the very first sign of the anime finally making an attempt to once again consistently improve the source material, which of course fully culminated with the Wano arc.

Oh man, so. I don't know what sort of black magic the showrunners have cast on the production pipeline (and other industry commentators are indeed convinced it's wizardry) but it goes without saying that the staff has an immense amount of skill, dedication, and enthusiasm that, during a time when the industry is stretching itself to the breaking point due to overproduction, the staff has been able to put out episodes so polished, animated, confident, and ambitious that other series would be lucky to have even one of during their whole run on what feels like a regular basis. And by dint of that they're making it look easy when the reality of it is that it's anything but. Also as an amusing contrast I watched the tenth episode of Paranoia Agent the other day which was a brutal, cold-blooded satire of how difficult making even a single episode can be when there's monumental incompetence in the chain (all the staff literally die but the director's happy as he pries the tape from the final checker's cold, dead hands because the episode was finished before the deadline!). Obviously greatly exaggerated, but in a present reality where shows are frequently melting it makes you appreciate the tight ship that Nagamine and co. are running right now.

All of that to say that yes, this episode was really damn good, and even that's understating things. That music video was one for the ages and I'm going to have to watch it many more times to catch all the little details put into it, like the unique designs on all the background mob characters, the dude in the background going WTF at the girls passing out, those two Beast Pirate stagehands who are only visible for like a second as Queen rises towards the stage like he's a Gundam rising to the launching deck, King rolling his eyes at the whole thing, etc. Goddamn, what a way to kick off this stage of the arc. It's a cliche to say, but this truly did feel like a movie. Everyone involved absolutely killed it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Oh geez it's only visible for a second but I just noticed the reason that guy's going "The fuck?" is because the girl's top came off when she fainted.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Yea, definitely check out 957

While the Beast Pirates obviously got the best directed intro in the series, don't sleep on Big Mom being introduced through song. To me, that was the very first sign of the anime finally making an attempt to once again consistently improve the source material, which of course fully culminated with the Wano arc.
    That was a good intro but I found it more funny than anything.

What they did in this episode though, showcased all the important members of the crew even the fodder despite some members already showing up in the story.

Makes me anticipate just how they'll do all of Shanks crew even though we met most of them.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Wow, wow, wow.

That was the best One Piece Anime Episode I have ever watched. What the actual hell? Why is this so fucking good.

This episode made the Beast Pirates so fukcing awesome. I can see why people would willingly join that crew. If those are the kinds of parties they have, it makes sense.

Apoo and Queen's music video was so orgasmically good. I just can't believe i was watching a one piece episode.

Lol, I think someone tricked the animators into thinking they were working on a movie.

Seriously, what the hell. why was this so goddamn good
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Oh geez it's only visible for a second but I just noticed the reason that guy's going "The fuck?" is because the girl's top came off when she fainted.
    *rewatches in slow motion*

Oh my, you are definitely correct on that.

Only saw the episode now, but dude what is up with this production value for every single scene? Am I really watching the one piece anime?
    Big props to all the staff. Voice actors are amazing as they always are. Ulti seems like a very fun but difficult role but her VA is knocking it out of the park.
    Last edited by DoctorPhil; July 13th, 2021 at 11:10 PM.

It's been nice seeing this episode get so much attention in the media. A lot of people in comments going "wait, I stopped watching the anime years ago, when did the animation actually get good?"

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Got a laugh out of this

I am legitimately considering becoming an anime-only guy until Wano ends because of this episode. For the first time ever I think the anime may be the better experience. I have no reason to believe there will suddenly be a dip in quality now that we're getting to the action.
    Megumi Ishitani? More like MEGAMI Ishitani amirite??
    Last edited by DoctorPhil; July 16th, 2021 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Got a laugh out of this
    https://i.imgur.com/RCVndXv.jpg
    LOL I forgot about poor Carrot being there. Chances of her joining the crew just plummeted. haha

Re: the idea of the animation quality dipping... I'd say, look at the final arc of Dragon Ball Super. Like 30 episodes straight of action. And it was arguably the only part of Super that didn't collapse in on itself. Good scheduling and staff helps immensely. I think the Onigashima raid will be fine. Obviously episodes like this one will still be a rarity, but I do not expect the average quality to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Re: the idea of the animation quality dipping... I'd say, look at the final arc of Dragon Ball Super. Like 30 episodes straight of action. And it was arguably the only part of Super that didn't collapse in on itself. Good scheduling and staff helps immensely. I think the Onigashima raid will be fine. Obviously episodes like this one will still be a rarity, but I do not expect the average quality to drop.
    The animation quality won't drop in the sense of "we're still going to get a lot of really nicely animated fight scenes on a consistent basis", the issue is more about handling giant war set pieces. This was an issue that the staff in Dragon Ball Super had as well(and most anime I'd imagine would find this difficult), but its often incredibly difficult to really sell the scale of a massive battle with the production of an on going show.

In saying this though, I think there are definitely work arounds the show could use. We may see some bank animation of fodder fighting each other, we may see some CGI, or they may only show the big battle stuff occassionally. There are definitely lots of locations that aren't quite as choatic as the ground floor of the action. Its just a matter of the staff balancing that stuff out.

Considering the state of the production currently, I'm very confident it'll be fine regardless.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information