+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 971: "A Raid! Oden and the Nine Red Scabbards"

Default 971: "A Raid! Oden and the Nine Red Scabbards"

No one tell the episode title guy that there are only eight Scabbards now.

Title: "A Raid! Oden and the Nine Red Scabbards"
    Chapters Covered: rest of 969-970
    Episode Director: Yasunori Koyama (****)
    Animation Director: Masahiro Shimanuki (**)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 971: "A Raid! Oden and the Nine Red Scabbards"

Oden Vs Kaido - Episode 971 https://bittube.tv/post/79c4f9d0-8c8...3-93fe82a8c975

One Piece Episode 972 Preview

Last edited by thaihoa91; April 24th, 2021 at 06:24 PM.

Great episode. Again, I'm happy that anime is cotinuing to show more of the stuff that happened offscreen in the manga. I like that that they shown a bit of Kaido and Moria's fight in Wano and how Moria got both Ryuma and his sword. Also I like the montage of the Kaido and his retainers walking towards the battlefield for their fight against Kaido. The animation during the fight between the Akayaza Nine and Kaido's crew is great so far.

Koyama just keeps delivering, easily one of the best directors on rotation right now.

Ah yeah, Moria at age 27.

What I wouldn't give to see that full fight. Moria's powers are so versatile and fun with so many possibilities. An actually strong Moria fight would be such fun to watch.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    What I wouldn't give to see that full fight. Moria's powers are so versatile and fun with so many possibilities. An actually strong Moria fight would be such fun to watch.
    Some people say Kaido vs. Moria was one-sided to the point that it confirms that Moria had always been a pathetic fighter, but I’m still willing to believe that, while not the same, that Moria was a more threatening force back then because of how he honed in on his own physical skills, and that he himself became less of a physical threat because of how he basically abandoned the sword in favor of relying on shadows to do his dirty work out of an obsession not to lose his crew anymore by using zombies.
    Last edited by electricmastro; April 25th, 2021 at 03:23 PM.

Absolutely, he was a big name in the new world, the fact that he even got so far to fight Kaido says a lot. You don't become Shichibukai for nothing. But he didn't have CoC so he was screwed. In One Piece willpower = strength, so he was definitely much stronger then before Kaido crushed his spirit as he tends to do to people. I'm sure Moria just like Crocodile is a lot stronger now too than he was, now that he's regained some ambition.

Did anyone else not care for this episode excepting the Samurai walk scene? That scene was great, but the lack of backgrounds, vague setting, and floaty samurai fighting montage in the back half really didnít do anything for me.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Some people say Kaido vs. Moria was one-sided to the point that it confirms that Moria had always been a pathetic fighter, but Iím still willing to believe that, while not the same, that Moria was a more threatening force back then because of how he honed in on his own physical skills, and that he himself became less of a physical threat because of how he basically abandoned the sword in favor of relying on shadows to do his dirty work out of an obsession not to lose his crew anymore by using zombies.
    I get the sense that Moria used to be more badass (he used a sword in close combat!), but Kaidoís defeating him so handily gave him PTSD and he resorted to fighting from afar and being a bit of a coward from then on. Insert sad backstory about his allies dying in that battle and him trying to use TB to bring some of them back.

Koyama is definitely letting himself become more and more experimental in his direction and boards, perhaps even moreso that Komaki if he keeps up. It's an approach that's not going to necessarily hit one-hundred percent of the time but when it lands it lands well. Like I thought that the effect of the pirate goons exploding like Yu-Gi-Oh monsters to be a little weird, but that one payoff shot of the petal effects transitioning back into blood was utterly masterful. Additionally some of the animation provided by the overseas talents looked a little rough and unrefined (Vann Oba's Kawamatsu cuts could've used some more in-betweening for example), but then you also had stuff like Denjiro's frames that looked like they were directly referencing live action footage. It was a coin-flip episode.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Agreed! The flower petal enemies in particular were very weird. I could see casual fans being like, “huh? These smile fruit users explode or something?” Haha

One Piece Episode 972 Preview Ver. 2

HOLY FUCK! The next episode looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

What great character progression. Oden went from not caring that much about Wano to having so much to care about from it.

First scene in Wano that made me crave the unreleased soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qYsjU3hxZA
    Thus concludes my

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information