Closed Thread
Page 164 of 321 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 162 163 164 165 166 174 214 264 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 6405

Thread: American Politics: So long Trump!

Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post

I usually point to the character Chocolove in Shaman King as an example. As a character, he's well-developed. Personality, imperfections, abilities, back-story, all the things you need for a a well-rounded character. But his design . . . . is incredibly racist. The lips alone scream "blackface". Did the author realize this? Probably not.
    Then there's of course his backstory where it's revealed he casually murdered a white guy, when he was in a gang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I remember reading somewhere around 2010-2011ish that Jynx was based on ganguro, a fashion trend in Japan from the 90s, but when I searched it again just now, it wasn't as definite as I thought I remembered it being. Ganguro was discussed as one among many possible influences on Jynx's design, and there seems to be some different ideas on what Jynx was based on but not really a concrete consensus.
    Any design can have several influences. You could definitely see the Ganguro girl in her, but there's also just . . . blackface.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Then there's of course his backstory where it's revealed he casually murdered a white guy, when he was in a gang.
    There is that. You can tell the author did research to write him, just . . . not enough. But again, "racial politics" and "racial subtleties" are not something a homogenous society like Japan is well-versed in. It would be nice if they learned more. Maybe the worldwide BLM movement will make them notice more.

Right now Japan's biggest relationship with not-white people is Brazil (biggest Japanese population not in Japan). This could be a good opportunity for them to learn about Brazil even more.

Any design can have several influences. You could definitely see the Ganguro girl in her, but there's also just . . . blackface.
    Or in the case of white people pointy noses.

Right now Japan's biggest relationship with not-white people is Brazil (biggest Japanese population not in Japan). This could be a good opportunity for them to learn about Brazil even more.
    I mean for what's it's worth they had some time and are still learning
    https://www.vice.com/en_asia/article...lian-community
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

If they think standard white people have big noses, I wonder what Japanese people make of those of us with Mediterranean heritage visible in our schnozzes.

A
    Dekasegis are viewed as second class citizens, Japan has a big problem with xenophobia and to any thing related to a non homogeneous society. And put Brazil as a not-white is a bit iffy, if I were argentinean I would take offense. White people population is slightly bigger than the mixed race population (47 to 43 by 2010's census). The thing is race is based on self determination here, so a big part of the black population prefer to go into the mixed race category instead of the black population, due to guess what, historical racism.
    Like what would you say is Ronaldo Phenomenon classify himself?

https://mobile.twitter.com/claudiamc...52852021665792
    https://mobile.twitter.com/claudiamc...53380906573826
    https://mobile.twitter.com/claudiamc...59015891795968

Claudia Conway, in addition to chewing out her mother and accusing her of abuse, also reminds the good folks to stop cheering on her equally awful Never Trump dad.

It wasn't my intention to say Brazil is all-black, I know you guys are all colors of the rainbow. I was just trying to say that precisely because Japan is so xenophobic the BLM movements could be a good kick in the butt to confront that specifically, using their history with Brazil as a starting point.

Edit: Poor Claudia.

It wasn't my intention to say Brazil is all-black, I know you guys are all colors of the rainbow. I was just trying to say that precisely because Japan is so xenophobic the BLM movements could be a good kick in the butt to confront that specifically, using their history with Brazil as a starting point.
    Didn't get that idea personally just pointing out much like you did earlier before that, that Japan (much like us and other places) still has a lot of work to do when it comes to tolerating and understanding people of different ethnicities and cultures especially Brazilians (of which for the record I'm not).

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I remember reading somewhere around 2010-2011ish that Jynx was based on ganguro, a fashion trend in Japan from the 90s, but when I searched it again just now, it wasn't as definite as I thought I remembered it being. Ganguro was discussed as one among many possible influences on Jynx's design, and there seems to be some different ideas on what Jynx was based on but not really a concrete consensus.
    We didn't know about Buu at all until 2019 so there wasn't a lot to go on.
    There isn't much of a connection between blackface, witches and ice monsters otherwise.

I know, I just took the change to give a jab on "Argentina is white joke". But like I said, dekasegis, japonse-brazilians of second or third generation, are treated in Japan as second class citzens. They are ethnically japanese, the mere fact that they haven't been born in Japan is reason enough to treat them as inferiors.
    To japanese in general, to start losing it's xenophobia will take ages. And the BLM had a little repercussion there, I remember some protests about the police beating the shit out a foreign hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/claudiamc...52852021665792
    https://mobile.twitter.com/claudiamc...53380906573826
    https://mobile.twitter.com/claudiamc...59015891795968

Claudia Conway, in addition to chewing out her mother and accusing her of abuse, also reminds the good folks to stop cheering on her equally awful Never Trump dad.
    Interestingly Kellyanne just announced her resignation.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Interestingly Kellyanne just announced her resignation.
    And her husband left the Lincoln Project.

Sounds like it's all coming from inner family issues.

Looks like they're actually trying to be caring parents?

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    Whut?

There's a vast difference between going "I can see him being Presidential and what the country needs right now" and "That 20 minute speech has singlehandedly changed the opinion I've had on him for years and I personally really like him now after 20 minutes!"
    And what difference does that even make? Charismatic seduction is charismatic seduction, period.

I like his Green New Deal plan, I like the statements he's been making on everything, the choice he made for VP, and that speech showed that he can at least stand on stage and seem like a sane human being that actually cares, and everything thats been tossed at him as criticism about his stutter or mental decline isn't showing in the least.
    Isn't this the EXACT same thing people said about Obama during the DNC of '08?

And the Green New Deal plan is a massive slap to the face of everyone who backed the Keystone XL pipeline, especially in Canada where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau nearly lost government over the fiasco in expanding the pipeline in Western provinces to the U.S. because he didn't do enough to quell indigenous unrest in areas where the pipeline was going to be built through!

I'm not super gung ho about him now or anything, but I *can* see what others were seeing and go "okay, he'll be fine." rather than "ugh, I guess this is the option other dems forced me to, at least hes better than Trump."
    You've been charismatically seduced.

Maybe you and me are just looking at him from different viewpoints, Robby. If you think he's presidential, then more power to you. But, trying to tie everything together for the better under Biden after 4 years of Trump and the fact that all the members of my family except me support him[Trump] has left me second guessing everything that the political system has given us. I legitimately don't even know what to believe, who to believe, and more importantly, why I should believe. Is Biden going to lead the country to greener pastures? Maybe, maybe not. But, at the same time, I don't want to have to endure 4 more years of Trump either. I said in an earlier post that I was going to vote for Biden but my vote will only be an empty one unless Biden is going to make an honest, damn effort to get both parties to mend fences and convince all the Trump supporters to take a look at themselves in the mirror and say: "WELP! I guess we've done fucked up!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King
    The only people who use that term are alt-right people, so wtf are you trying to pull here.
    I've never heard anyone segregate virtue signalling as being solely towards the alt-right before plus I've seen this term being thrown around this forum plenty of times throughout the years. I'm under the impression that it's standard lingo for dialogue designed to increase positivity to an audience, regardless of party affiliation.

You need to settle the fuck down, Zephos.
    Last edited by Kaba Kaba Fruit; August 26th, 2020 at 08:35 AM.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Kaba Fruit View Post
    I said in an earlier post that I was going to vote for Biden but my vote will only be an empty one unless Biden is going to make an honest, damn effort to get both parties to mend fences and convince all the Trump supporters to take a look at themselves in the mirror and say: "WELP! I guess we've done fucked up!"
    Speaking for myself, I don't see this happening, but not through any fault of Biden's. Anyone who would turn on Trump has turned on Trump. Everyone left are the ones who think almond is a perfectly fine taste for Flavorade. The people Trump most appeals to are people that, like himself, never admit fault or wrongdoing and instead double down when called out.

The only people who might yet turn on him are those who are getting screwed personally by him, and only precisely because they're getting personally screwed by him rather than any moral epiphany on their parts.

Case in point, the Republican National Convention just announced, to quote the tweet linked below, "there will be no GOP platform for the convention ó just support for Trumpís second-term agenda, whatever that is". The tweet below has a link to the actual resolution.

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/s...032417792?s=19

Re: Kellyanne Conway and her husband, apparently her 15 year old daughter is trying to emancipate herself from her parents, claiming "years of childhood trauma and abuse", which may have prompted the move on her parents' parts.

https://www.today.com/news/kellyanne...-she-s-t190044
    Last edited by sgamer82; August 23rd, 2020 at 09:46 PM.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82
    The only people who might yet turn on him are those who are getting screwed personally by him, and only precisely because they're getting personally screwed by him rather than any moral epiphany on their parts.
    The only way I see my family turning on Trump is if he personally comes on the air and says, "You know what? Russia can have Ukraine back! Who cares about Ukraine?" as they are VERY proud Ukrainians first and Trump supporters second.

You know what? I want to see Trump say that and see the look on my dad's face should that happen. It would be a priceless Kodak moment!

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Kaba Fruit View Post
    The only way I see my family turning on Trump is if he personally comes on the air and says, "You know what? Russia can have Ukraine back! Who cares about Ukraine?" as they are VERY proud Ukrainians first and Trump supporters second.

You know what? I want to see Trump say that and see the look on my dad's face should that happen. It would be a priceless Kodak moment!
    And to go back to my point, can you imagine any honest, damn effort Biden could make to mend fences that would convince your dad to take a look at himself in the mirror and say: "WELP! I guess I've done fucked up!"
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    @Robby
    Just because they don't have a structured organisation, with a distinct leader or leaders, doesn't mean there aren't people who claim to associate with the general concept of "Antifa", or there aren't people who organise Antifa protests, or that the group doesn't have a fairly strong online community and presence which can and does mobilise irl when the time calls. They even have a flag, it's clearly a pretty defined movement.

Saying Antifa doesn't exist is like saying "The One Piece Community" doesn't exist. Yea there's no structure to it, but it, just like Antifa, definitely exists.
    WOOOOOOAH, you are completely misunderstanding me.

Let me rephrase.

The republican talking point (and Robos) is basically "Antifa, every last one of them, are a radicalized terrorist group here to blow things up." And that's just... not the case.

Like I said, "Handful of guys that commit violent acts under the cover of the broader name doesn't shape the meaning or intent of the entire movement." Anyone can throw a label onto their organization. Doesn't mean they actually ARE that thing, or that they represent the entirety of it.

Like a large number of christian groups for instance. They aren't actually there for the charity, or the religion, or the morality, they're just there to make money off of suckers. That doesn't instantly mean every person, or even the majority, of people that go by the christian label, are conmen hucksters or radicals. But I can absolute point to the Southern Poverty Law Center , or America's Promise Ministries, or the KKK!

Although there are many religious Americans who are good at heart and genuinely believe and exemplify love and acceptance, there is no denying that fanatical religious belief can be a breeding ground for hate, violence, and bigotry. When the beliefs that define one’s entire world are threatened, ideologues will often do all that is necessary to preserve it.

Or, for a different example. There's are lots of groups that are about saving animals. And they are all good. PETA is one of the most well known ones, and its a complete monster of an organization, treated as a joke because some of the things they do are silly, but is absolutely horrific if you look closer. But "I'm for animal rights" doesn't mean you're in PETA.

The same applies to Antifa. There are bad actor offshoots, yes, but the overall message, the INTENT, the meaning that MOST people who apply the label, is a positive one. It's JUST "anti-fascism" for the majority of people who wear the label.

It's absolutely NOT the republican talking point or a super organized terrorist group.
    Last edited by Robby; August 23rd, 2020 at 10:59 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82
    And to go back to my point, can you imagine any honest, damn effort Biden could make to mend fences that would convince your dad to take a look at himself in the mirror and say: "WELP! I guess I've done fucked up!"
    If that happens, I'll pop a bottle of champagne!

Republican wins election: “this is a clear mandate to do whatever they want”

Democrat wins election: “their primary focus should be mending fences and reach across the aisle. Just because they won doesn’t mean they speak for the entire country”

Closed Thread

Thread Information