+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

Default Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Default Re: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

It's here, it's real, and it's somewhat divisive! I loved the chapter, myself!
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Finally the official chapter is out and now we know that the weird line through Kaido's teeth is clearly a hair strand and not "broken teeth" as a misguided soul was insisting. Never fucking make your arguments based on shitty scans. Learn from this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Finally the official chapter is out and now we know that the weird line through Kaido's teeth is clearly a hair strand and not "broken teeth" as a misguided soul was insisting. Never fucking make your arguments based on shitty scans. Learn from this.
    Yeah because that's the only thing I said. Luffy still clowned Kaido.

straw hat luffy, look at him passing through kaido and big mom. what a boss moment for him and a great moment for us - chapter 1000 :o
    no big revelations, but the focus on the main character of this manga, actually a great writer's choice, gotta admit.

new hype for luffy's new attacks now :d

imagine someone who is reading one piece for the first time, good chapter for a shonen manga to advertise with

That final moment felt even more satisfying in good quality.

PK Luffy going all welp time to de-throne some old timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Yeah because that's the only thing I said. Luffy still clowned Kaido.
    How about eating some humble pie and accepting that I was right instead of moving the goalpost to stuff I never cared about or argued with you in the first place. I don't care what else you said because my only point was don't make arguments based on shitty scans. You threw an insanely dumb tantrum about broken teeth insisting with such certainty on something that was questionable and I called you out for it with correct the reasoning that shitty scans can and have often been misleading by ruining the art with bad cleaning. And see and behold it was correct. In the future just don't do that. Outside of that I could care less about whatever powerscaling argument you want to make I have 0 interest in those discussions(Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz), be my guest there. What I cared/care about is people rightfully not spreading their delusions with such ridiculous certainty based on bad scans.

Again learn from this.

So queen is proper cyborg like franky. Not sure how that half robot /half dino works but why is his funky battle with franky not happening.

Rereading it it's been even more satisfating. Hoping for Luffy and others to really putting on a good battle and finally defeat at least Kaido.
    Prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    what if Rocks wanted to become the king of world... and he did i? Imu revealed to be Rocks could be a twist

Nice chapter, not as epic as I had hoped, but good nonetheless.
    I feel like the build-up was a bit too long for the oomph effect.
    Maybe it´s the translation but I had a difficult time following the Ace dialogue regarding what Luffy said, it was a bit awkward. Have to reread a couple more times.
    That double-spread with the 7 of them was a bit confusing to me, they were talking in the upper row and Yamato/Oden message was written on the bottom, I didn´t know how in what order to read it.
    Also, Killer is too weak to be on the roof.
    Happy about Law being there, he´s a great hax-support character.
    Called Zoro being thrown through the hole by Marco a few chapters ago.

Looking forward to the fight. Hope it continues at least for a bit next chapter instead of completely switching over to the other SHs.

We all have come a looooong way to see Luffy facing off against two yonkous and it was worth it.
    So satisfying to see Luffy acting like a boss in front of those monsters while having monsters backing him :)
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFWind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

I think Kidd is going to be extremely aggressive and angry that Luffy got the first hit in during the next chapter.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Great chapter. But man, the scene with Luffy, Zoro, Kidd, Killer, and Law encountering Big Mom and Kaido on the roof actually give me some chills. I also like that we got more of the Ace and Yamato's flashback in the chapter. I can't believe we're finally here at chapter 1000 and I can't wait to see what will happened next as we begin to head into the endgame of this arc.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I think Kidd is going to be extremely aggressive and angry that Luffy got the first hit in during the next chapter.
    He'll overcompensate by adding a couple of inches to his fist

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar
    Topping the worldwide popularity contest, of course

Monkey D. Luffy, the man! Like a boss! It was so satisfying to wait until the official release and finally read it in HQ! I resisted the spoilers, yay! Very nice chapter. Not as satisfying as the Celestial Dragon punch, but damn, it was one of the best Luffy punches ever. And now to wait another fortnight for chapter 1001.

Also the official scan emphacized on Ace talking about Luffy in subtle different way. Luffy's dream seems little more 'complicated' and has a certain end goal ( which appears to be 'crazy' even in OP world) according to Ace.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Luffy's new technique "Red Roc" reminds us of the origin of ONE PIECE story.
    Roc/Rukh is a legendary bird in Middle East.
    Oda already made it appear as "Mysterious Bird Rukh" in Romance Dawn known as a prototype of OP. Red Roc is a cool naming for this memorial chapter 1000.

Red Roc is written as 業火拳銃 in Kanji in Japanese chapter,
    meaning "Hellfire Fist Pistol". Nice naming for Luffy to punish a villain like Kaido.
    By the way, 火拳銃 (Red Hawk) means "Fire Fist Pistol". Thus we know Red Roc is an upgraded version of Red Hawk.

Hidden:

This chapter is good. Some folks will say that Oda didn't try to make this a more special chapter just because of the milestone, but I think he did. He really planned chapter 1000 to be this big Luffy moment punching Kaido to start the battle at the dome. Instead of a big revelation or something more mindblowing that diehard fans would get crazy about, Oda was more pragmatic and chose a more shonen approach to the chapter, something that any child/teen, big fan or casual reader who bought the WSJ would understand and get hyped. That's a smart move.

What's ironic is that Oda almost delivered a big revelation at the start of the chapter with the callback to Luffy and Roger's mysterious dreams that have been omitted all the times they happened... except that Oda didn't answer the question, lol. If anyone missed what Oda is talking about here, it's something that Luffy said when he was a kid to Ace and Sabo (chapter 885) and that Roger said to Oden and Whitebeard (chapter 966), something that Luffy also told Shanks offscreen that made him impressed (chapter 506).

Honestly, to me it's weird that Oda is making this obscure callback (while we diehard fans know about this detail, how many casual fans picked up on it?) without properly explaining what's it all about. I don't know if I like it. Maybe we'll have the answer soon though, and this mention is not just something random in this chapter.

And then we go to the main event of the chapter, the encounter of the new generation vs the old generation at the dome. That's a super emblematic moment right there, full of power and symbolism. At the same time, it kinda falls flat to me personally. This is a little nitpicky on my part, but I wish all the characters there had delivered some juicy lines to make for interesting interactions and conflicts, but everybody kinda faded into the background for Luffy's protagonism, mere spectators instead of players, which makes their presence less special. Of course they'll do more going forward, but this chapter was the introduction to the battle, so I wish they had spoken more before the first punch. The doublespread was nice, but the composition could be more awesome if all the characters were in the same panel instead of the cut.

More importantly, it's a little jarring to see that line up of young pirates despite the predictable and obvious build up for them to be there. Kid in particular bother me, because I feel like Oda failed to make him a more relevant character throughout Wano and the New World in order to make his presence truly hype in a fight against the Yonkou. And Killer is even lesser. I have nothing to complain about Law though, who is an important character in the series and basically started this whole pirate alliance in order to defeat Kaido. In regards to Zoro, he lacks feats to be seen as a big shot, but his portrayal is so over the top badass that's understandable why he is there.

The ending of the chapter reminded me a lot of chapter 644, when Fukaboshi gave his emotional speech and Luffy replied saying they were friends before using Red Hawk for the first time on Hody Jones. Well, I guess punching Kaido now is much more iconic for the series, and the build up is enormous, but I think the execution was a little lacking. Not bad. It was good. Once again, I just wished a little bit more inspired. The punch didn't look so great visually either.

All in all, the chapter is obviously good, but unfortunatelly I was underwhelmed, also because of the high expectations for chapter 1000 (my fault?), but the content of the chapter itself could have been better fleshed out, in my opinion.

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Great chapter! I read the scans at first, but its nice to re-read again in HQ. I couldn't spot much difference in terms of dialogue, but the ending was super with Luffy's Red Roc attack. Funny how the kanji for this attack is said to be "Hellfire Fist Pistol". What is the reasoning for not going with the actual translation? Overall, great chapter!

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    Also the official scan emphacized on Ace talking about Luffy in subtle different way. Luffy's dream seems little more 'complicated' and has a certain end goal ( which appears to be 'crazy' even in OP world) according to Ace.
    This whole "dream of Luffy" thing should make people realize that the last villain might not be Teach
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information