+ Reply to Thread
Page 559 of 559 FirstFirst ... 59 459 509 549 557 558 559
Results 11,161 to 11,177 of 11177

Thread: AVGN, Lindsay Ellis, Todd, Linkara, Fact Fiend, and other web review shows

Default Re: AVGN, Lindsay Ellis, Todd, Linkara, Fact Fiend, and other web review shows

To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: AVGN, Lindsay Ellis, Todd, Linkara, Fact Fiend, and other web review shows

Some recommendations:

Film Crit Hulk, an essayist I really admire, has started doing youtube deep-dives into specific movies. If you're interested in the ins and outs of writing and storytelling I highly recommend them; So far its just the original Star Wars and Into The SpiderVerse though

Dan Olsen of folding ideas also recently did an excellent full-length documentary on flat-earthers, Qanon, and conspiracy theories in general

As mentioned in the Naruto thread, Super Eyepatch Wolf has some neat manga retrospectives (and an extensive rant on Shenmue III)

And Jenny Nicholson, who is hilarious yet very insightful as to storytelling in general, and I will recommend at every opportunity

(CONTENT WARNING if you choose to follow her: Jenny likes the Last Jedi, and disliked Solo, Rogue One, and especially Rise of Skywalker)

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Some recommendations:

Film Crit Hulk
    I had seen Film Crit Hulk's videos recommended to me recently on YouTube a couple times but refused the call to try them because of how long their runtime tends to be. I usually need to already be familiar with a YouTuber's content before being willing to donate that much of my time to their content. Especially since I tend to be wary of critical analyses videos an hour or more long that always end up being obnoxious nitpick vitriol sessions with little depth, research, consistency, or context awareness put in. Although their toxicity and ignorance is easy to spot because they'll have a crude title labeling a piece of media as the worst thing ever.

But seeing you of all people recommend their channel convinced me to try out his Spider-Verse writing breakdown video and later the ABCS of Cinematics breakdown video on my own. And hot diggity damn, those videos are the bee's knees. Totally worth the length to watch through because he has that many insightful thoughts and eloquence to deliver.

So thank you, Daz.

As mentioned in the Naruto thread, Super Eyepatch Wolf has some neat manga retrospectives (and an extensive rant on Shenmue III)
    Speaking of Super Eyepatch Wolf, he released a video today that is a sequel to his previous video four years ago analyzing how Bleach fell apart. He apologizes and corrects himself for the faulty statistical analyses he used back then while diving deeper into both what he likes and dislikes about the series. I totally recommend the video to anyone who at least has a casual interest in Bleach even if they haven't read/watched it.

You don't need to watch the original Fall of Bleach video to understand this one. But if anyone is curious about watching both videos anyways, the first one is delisted but can still be found through a link in the description of the 4 Years Later video.

And Jenny Nicholson, who is hilarious yet very insightful as to storytelling in general, and I will recommend at every opportunity
    The more exposure for Jenny, the better.

I love how she makes fun of Sith Lord training like it's a ridiculously stupid high school clique pyramid scheme promising power but being literally all about stealing power from everyone else, including your apprentices. And how she also dug deeper into Ratatouille's "not everyone is a great artist" line in the context of applying auteur theory to Brad Bird's films to realize how it could have messed up eugenics implications and a practical misunderstanding of how artists become successful or not.
    Last edited by Count Mario; September 26th, 2020 at 05:20 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Film Crit Hulk is great. It's nice that he's making videos now since his essays are... long. And hard to read as a result, good as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    also dug deeper into Ratatouille's "not everyone is a great artist" line in the context of applying auteur theory to Brad Bird's films to realize how it could have messed up eugenics implications and a practical misunderstanding of how artists become successful or not.
    Yeah... as much as I love Ratatouille and Incredibles... after Tomorrowland and then Incredibles 2 its pretty clear he's got some sort of complex about letting the talented people stand out and not be shackled down by people that just can't appreciate them and that artists are the best people.

Heck, even Iron Giant has a bit of that.
    Last edited by Robby; September 28th, 2020 at 10:01 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/S.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

hbomberguy did a video on RWBY a few months back

Having only ever watched a few episodes of RWBY, I could tell pretty much right away that the show had story issues. And based on his review, I'm kind of glad I never got into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    hbomberguy did a video on RWBY a few months back

Having only ever watched a few episodes of RWBY, I could tell pretty much right away that the show had story issues. And based on his review, I'm kind of glad I never got into it.
    I never really understood what was going on in the story, it just felt like a poorly written Harry Potter fanfic with cool fights.

Moviebob's having a normal one

Oh yikes.

And crap, I like Moviebob.

I used to watch a lot of him, but I've had always had a weird feeling since seeing his "Magneto was right" video.

So... bob has locked his twitter except to approved followers.

And people are now posting old tweets of his. And they are, uhm...

holy shit.

Dude, I like your movie reviews and I've followed you for years but uh... I think I need to stop supporting you now. Like some of this bled into his videos, but it came across mostly as "trump voters are racist" which I can get and he obviously has some "I was picked on as a kid" issues but I get that and where that anger comes from. But some of the other stuff, uhm...

yikes.

Also, in hindsight makes anytime he's mentioned Lindsay in one of his videos super fucking creepy, because he ALWAYS framed it like they were acquaintances/peers/ friends and not... multiple times blocked stalker.

I wonder if this has any connection to the Escapist not renewing his contract. If he's been saying this kind of crap on Twitter all this time... yikes.

UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/S.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

Linkara supercut of all his Frank Miller All Star Batman comics. It's weird seeing young early video and sound quality Linkara turn into modern Linkara over the course of the video.

And the relevant original Ratatouille video which I'm pretty sure I posted int he Pixar thread a few months back.

Hidden:

Here's Linkara Atop The Fourth Wall Schedule for the rest the year and some next year
    11/30 – LATE NIGHT DOUBLE FEATURE PILOT
    12/7 – Awesome Comics Holiday Special #1
    12/14 – The Transformers (UK) #41
    12/21 – Solo: A Star Wars Story Official Comic Adaptation
    12/28 – Yet Another 15 Mistakes of AT4W
    1/4 – Star Trek Book and Record Set: Dinosaur Planet
    1/11 – DC Challenge! #2
    1/18 – PATREON: The Mighty Heroes #1
    1/25 – PATREON: Justice League 1×01-3: Secret Origins
    2/1 – The Star Wars #6
    2/8 – PATREON: The King of Braves GaoGaiGar Episodes 1-4
    2/15 – Youngblood: Strikefile #2
    2/22 – PATREON: Pokémon 15×01-02 – “Enter Elesa, Electrifying Gym Leader!” and “Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym”
    3/1 – LATE NIGHT DOUBLE FEATURE (Assuming the pilot does well)
    3/8 – PATREON: Stanley and his Monster #1-4
    3/15 – Marvel Than Meets the Eye, Part 1: Transformers #1-40
    3/22 – Marvel Than Meets the Eye, Part 2: Transformers #41-80
    3/29 – Marvel Than Meets the Eye, Part 3: Transformers Generation 2 & Regeneration One
    http://atopthefourthwall.com/state-o...-20/#more-6963

Kamen Rider OOOs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information