View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 467 of 506 FirstFirst ... 367 417 457 465 466 467 468 469 477 ... LastLast
Results 9,321 to 9,340 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Poor Franky, getting ousted like that...

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Thank you Oda, for giving me at least a glimpse of what I think will be the complete crew (sans the departed).
    https://i.imgur.com/ZECmIUW.jpg

Yeah, I know it proves nothing, but I'm so happy for that image.
    You did my man Franky dirty with this pic : (

Quote Originally Posted by Boombalaga View Post
    You did my man Franky dirty with this pic : (
    Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Poor Franky, getting ousted like that...
    Lol, I made it in such a hurry that I forgot Franky wasn't with the group. I'll make another later.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Fixed! New and better version! Thanks for pointing that out!
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Lol, I made it in such a hurry that I forgot Franky wasn't with the group. I'll make another later.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

https://i.imgur.com/PuYRwBw.jpg

Fixed! New and better version! Thanks for pointing that out!
    You and I had similar ideas - with different characters. What software do you use to fade out the bkg? I'm using gimp, but it takes forever to erase around the borders.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    You and I had similar ideas - with different characters. What software do you use to fade out the bkg? I'm using gimp, but it takes forever to erase around the borders.
    I use Gimp as well. It's easy:
    - Create a layer over the image
    - On the new layer Use white color and a soft brush to paint around the characters. Don't worry too much about making it right in first try
    - Now, on the same layer, use an Eraser with a soft brush over the characters to adjust the borders around them. Alternate brush (around the characters) and eraser (over the characters) as many times as you wish until it feels you nailed it.
    - Once you finish defining the borders, duplicate your upper layer with the white painting.
    - On the mid layer, change mode to "Color" so the white areas will make become Black and White over the original pic.
    - On the top layer, change opacity to 50% so the Black and White area gets less contrast.
    - Done!
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I'm just curious but what would Hancock's reason be for joining the Straw Hat Pirates if she were to become a member?

I was at one point interested in seeing her become a Straw Hat Pirate during the events leading up to the Battle of Marineford but once I seen Jinbe in action during that war, he won me over. I do like Hancock as a character but considering her current story role and position, I am struggling to see where the potential of her path could lead in terms of nakama status. Would the abolition of the Shichibukai system and what happens on Amazon Lily be what provides a redefined foundation for Hancock to move forward on?

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghidorah Guy View Post
    You betcha. With the focus possibly shifting to other locations throughout...and possibly another mid-length/mini arc(s) being initiated, with its own resolution coinciding with that of Wano. Very atypical narrative structure, but one that'd allow Oda to more efficiently nip multiple storylines in the bud in one go.

Basically, Shiki's coming back, and the Strawhats are gonna have to deal with him ontop of everything. His return would also tie to the encroaching Final War, which has arguably already started. And the Rocks, Captain Rocks themselves, Blackbeard, Vegapunk, the Revolutionaries, Germa, the SSG...with Kaido, Toki, and Wano's backstory set to present a deep dive and revealing insight into the history of the One Piece world world at large.

As alluded to by Sengoku ( and by extension Oda himself ), Wano is indeed the center point for a great many things. Hence, the "bloated" length and meticulous setup; there's still a lot left to unpack, but it will ultimately line up many ducks in a row for the final phase of the One Piece journey.

So yes, however it goes, expect an extra year or thereabouts of Wano itself at bare minimum, imo. But like I said, anyone concerned w/ Wano fatigue need not worry, as there'd likely be a crapload of other places, people, and locales receiving focus all throughout....and a shitload of awesome developments to come.

But again, that's just my heavily calculated speculation. I'm not going to argue the issue, or claim it's sure to happen. We'll see soon enough what'll happen in print, won't we?

Most or all of the Strawhats are getting captured, tortured in Wano's own underground version of Impel Down ( where Black Mariah was born, and King presides ), with some possibly being scattered or relocated elsewhere ( Luffy becoming Kaido's new personal "project" ). More or less part of what I see transpiring.

One or a few Strawhats may eventually escape Wano and follow in the Scabbards' footsteps ( blatant parallel ) in searching for allies to come help...something Luffy and Co. should've thought to do before embarking on a mission to take on a Yonko. In that sense, they've committed the same error as Oden and Co. way back in the day, which is the point. So it's time for a course correction following a harsh lesson in falling to hubris.

In turn, I suspect this is how the Strawhat Grandfleet finally enters the picture at some point...it's now the Strawhats turn to step up and ask for help, just as Luffy has prompted from both Vivi and Momo in the past.

C'est the vida

I won't splurge into thesis-level detail, but just think of it as a metaphorical reclamation of the childhoods that were "lost," to various degrees. Maybe I'm getting far too ahead of myself here, but I'll just say I think we''ll be seeing Oda exploring this theme in some length not just through the lens of Momo and Yamato, but other characters such as Big Mom and Hiyori...all falling under the umbrella of the greater over-arching themes of returning to the past/starting point, reclaiming the past, turning back the clock, cycles, second chances.....the list goes on; Oda's juggling a confounding number of thematic plates.

The theme of miracles and wish-granting will also be a major thing as we approach the true finale...particularly as it pertains to the legends of wish-granting dragons. That's all I'll say on that front.

Anyways, as to the exact method of Momo and Yamato getting de-aged, without going into full detail as to the plot-related why's, it remains to be seen, but my initial guess is that Bonney will enter the stage at some point as several plotlines begin to converge in Wano, and thereby have a hand in things. That, or as I alluded to before, it could fall under the umbrella of several "miraculous" things going down by Wano's end.
    Yeah this is like full blown fanfiction and not likely to happen. The amount of detail in this already is setting yourself up to be pretty wrong in this prediction.

I'm leaning towards Wano concluding much sooner than later. Plus there's really no indication things are about to go on for even longer.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Wow. Can't say I didn't appreciate the effort of such a theory, but it's as far as it can be by my opinion on this arc. And I am generally not a fan of the "Oda will totally subvert expectations" as just like he's always been able to surprise readers, he also often stick to some inner tropes (for example, I'd really be surprised if we'll get one arc one without the timebomb escamotage).

I'll try to fanfic the rest of Wano Saga too. We're clearly in the one-but-last part of the battle, the one where the highest ranks of the enemy group are going to fall leaving Luffy and Kaido to fight alone. In this part we're going to see all villains be defeated and the eventual Nine Shadows formation happens in front of Kaido, just to get disrupted by the urge to stop Onigashima by falling. The scene will switch to Wano with Luffy following Kaido which will go for Wano's secret/Red PG.

Here's the another of Oda's tropes: "let's obstacle the allies by joining Luffy's solo fight". I actually thought of this back when Apoo referred to Numbers usually creating havoc on cities. I think the sober Numbers will be spread along the whole Wano and the few allies which are still able to fight will go to stop them. Orochi will makes his move against Kaido, just to be stopped and finally defeated by Denjiro/Hiyori. Luffy vs Kaido happens. Kaido is eventually going to achieve his own honorable death (can't really see it happens by Luffy's hands, but I can effortly see this being the exception in the whole manga). The final fight will unveil some plot-relevant shit, like Red PG, Wano's secret, Kaido's FB, something about Rocks and who know what else which will lead to the post arc.

At some point we'll have Kid and Law having a hard time against BM but also BM having a hard time against them. If she'll eventually be rescued by her crew or defeated (can't really see the latter happens btw) depends on what Oda has in mind for her future and I can't really figure that far.

About the post-arc I have more wild fanfictionary theories which I'll share here for sake of. Trope: the usual "post-arc a new force join the stage". I can see Marines waiting near Wano for Drake's green light and with Kaido's fall they will actually use Beasts Pirates' rear entrance to show up. Among them we could finally see the Scientific Division, with Sentomaru (which used Ryuo back then, so being from Wano would be totally not a surprise) and Vegapunk going to deal with the whole mess he actually did and set for the arc (Numbers, SMILEs, Momonosuke, Queen and who know what else again). This could be the chance to have Vegapunk on the stage without having a whole arc dedicated to him (as Wano is already like totally tied to him). We'll get infos about Kuma, Bonney, Sabo, Warlords and several set-up for next one (or few) arcs. Yamato joins the crew. Totally totally totally fan-point: when they'll get to party for the new nakama, Carrot will show up having sneaked in just like back to Zou and will be part (officially or unofficially) of the next adventures.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yeah this is like full blown fanfiction and not likely to happen. The amount of detail in this already is setting yourself up to be pretty wrong in this prediction.

I'm leaning towards Wano concluding much sooner than later. Plus there's really no indication things are about to go on for even longer.
    16 characters of shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    I'm just curious but what would Hancock's reason be for joining the Straw Hat Pirates if she were to become a member?

I was at one point interested in seeing her become a Straw Hat Pirate during the events leading up to the Battle of Marineford but once I seen Jinbe in action during that war, he won me over. I do like Hancock as a character but considering her current story role and position, I am struggling to see where the potential of her path could lead in terms of nakama status. Would the abolition of the Shichibukai system and what happens on Amazon Lily be what provides a redefined foundation for Hancock to move forward on?
    Here's my reasoning. My actual theory isn't so much her joining, but her character arc. She would join as a result of that.

Way back in Amazon Lily/Impel Down/Marineford, a lot of foreshadowing (I assume) was put on Hancock losing her status, dooming Amazon Lily. She's also deeply connected with the darkness of the World Government due to her secret past. So, back then I was expecting her to lose her title, Amazon Lily to be attacked, and those events lead to her flashback, which would at least contain the Fisher Tiger portion.

Things didn't happen as I expected at the time, but ever since we've been getting hints of still happening: Jinbe's flashback skips the part that I would expect in Hancock's flashback; The looming Reverie and Fujitora's plan to abolish the Warlords. The Celestial Dragon and slavery plot fading from the main story until recently.

And then, boom, everything happened at once. Warlords are over, Amazon Lily is attacked, and, now, we are getting signs of a Mary Geoise or Red Line arc (CP-0, Sun God Nika, Lunarian race).

So, the character arc I'm expecting for her is:
    - She's captured. Most likely, because she must protect her people, so she either surrenders to spare her island or stays behind to cover their escape.
    - She's brought to Impel Down. But, as explained in the ID arc, every inmate is stripped naked for the baptism bath in boiling water. That's when her secret is found out.
    - Her secret leaks out and becomes huge news. She's sent to Mary Geoise as a slave, her master yet to be determined.
    - Luffy, upon knowing of this, decides to return to the Red Line to rescue her. There will also be other motives attached to the return: Sabo, Vivi (whatever their status), and even a need to visit Raijin Island, which is close to the Red Line and I believe is one of the points indicated by a Red Poneglyph, so we need to make an Eternal Pose to it.
    - Here things get blurry because it's the meat of the arc, but during it I expect us to, in any order, (1) explore Hancock's past, seeing her dreams as a child before slavery, her struggles to protect her sisters as a slave, how they got their fruits, meeting Fisher Tiger, the escape, Rayleigh and Shakky, and (2) upon rescue, she makes peace with her past. I kinda expect that her former master is Donquixonte Mjosgard, and that even he will help her.

So, at the end of the arc, where she goes? She can't go back home, as it would make it a huge target again. So, I figure she will need to do go somewhere else, and chase whatever childhood dream she had once. Whatever her decision, it will be blessed by her sisters and the Kuja, who want her to be happy. That's where I figure there's a chance she stays with the Straw Hats. I can't take of any other possible fate except joining the Revolutionaries, but there's zero link between her and them (however, the arc itself could provide such link).

Given all her layers, story and gags, I find her a little too complex for a secondary character. And there's where I find the meta-hints interesting: Nami's two outfits in Logue Town (one for Robin, another for Hancock), Nami imitating Hancock's signature "you'll forgive me because I'm pretty" routinne in Thriller Bark, the color spread in the chapter that introduces Hancock (and is titled after her), colorspreads done by Oda like the ones I'll link bellow, her fascinated comment upon seeing Oars fall (will she be in Elbaf?) and how she triggered both Smoker and Sentoumaru (both of which will probably be in Vegapunk's arc. I wouldn't be surprised if she fights Sentoumaru at some point). Plus, Catarina Devon's theme of hunting down beautiful women, her fawning followers we saw in Chapter 925 and melee-oriented fighting style makes her feel like a counterpart to Hancock, and even her power to change shape may be used for exploiting Hancock's traumas or her love for Luffy.

I even feel her going to Rusukaina to bring Luffy after the timeskip was not their first meeting in two years. She's far more confortable around him, able to express her feelings, and he's fully aware of her marriage proposal, as if she asked it more than once before. And Rayleigh left the island six months prior, so I feel the connection between Luffy and Hancock is already deeper than we think.

Of course, all of that depends on the aforementioned arc happening. If it doesn't happen, she doesn't join. If it happens, maybe she join. That's my prediction.

As for colors spreads, Hancock is often portrayed as special by Oda when he has a chance to draw her in them:

Spoiler:

Thank you Oda, for giving me at least a glimpse of what I think will be the complete crew (sans the departed).
    https://i.imgur.com/PuYRwBw.jpg

Yeah, I know it proves nothing, but I'm so happy for that image.

EDIT: Changed image since I forgot Franky in the other one. :( Sorry, Franky!)
    If the poster contains clues about character affiliations should we assume that Carrot will join the marines or Blackbeard? (Carrot as the 11th Titan Captain, you heard it here first)

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    If the poster contains clues about character affiliations should we assume that Carrot will join the marines or Blackbeard? (Carrot as the 11th Titan Captain, you heard it here first)
    My take is that Oda's brain, even unconsciously, tries to place characters where they "fit" for whatever subtle reason. He is not trying to spoil things, it's only how he gets satisfied with the composition.

My interpretation is that Hancock is there, defending the treasure, because she is important to the Straw Hats. Not due to any story told, but due to the stories still in Oda's mind. Does that mean joining? No, but the possibility is there.

Yamato or Carrot, on the other hand, were placed far away from the SHs. Does that mean they can't join? No. But it may point out that Oda does not feel like they fit with them. Yamato was placed in a natural place for him, with Oden and near Kaido. So maybe, at least for now, Yamato is in Oda's mind more related to Wano than the SHs. However, maybe Oda does plan to turn him a SH and is actively trying to not spoil the story, thought, so his mind settled for the next best place.

But Carrot's position is really weird, IMO. Before the pieces came out, I expected her to be in a position like Law's: a close ally, but not that close. Instead she was put far away. Why? I can't tell. There's no characters linked to her around. Is it because Oda couldn't find a good spot so that's the only place left for her? Is it because Oda wanted to point the opposition of Carrot and Yamato's chances? Or could it be even a "both", by placing them on different sides? Or a neither?

Well, I can't tell for sure for Yamato or Carrot. But Hancock being where she is, one of the few allies standing on the treasure, just by the side of the SHs? Oh, that's really cool for me.

Addendum:
    Another consideration to make is that, while Oda chose some characters to be in this poster, many are there just because of the Top 50. You can see many oddly placed characters like Reiju, Woop Slap or Rayleigh. Even Vivi and Bon Kurei are placed in the far back, more token representations than any importance given to them. I wouldn’t be surprised if Carrot’s position is due to her not being that important to Oda, but still put in the forefront due to her high position in the polls.
    Last edited by Deicide; September 10th, 2021 at 07:43 AM.

Been awhile since I posted here.

Yamato's abilities have been shown more frequently, some of them are ice themed.

If the prediction about Aokiji as the 10th BB captain true, then it's a good point for Yamato. Both are roughly equal in strength and have the same element.

Especially when Aokiji's nick is "blue pheasant". If you look up blue pheasant, that animal color scheme matches Yamato : red, green, blue mixing.

Ice vs Ice
    Blue pheasant vs Blue pheasant.

I use Gimp as well. It's easy:
    - Create a layer over the image
    - On the new layer Use white color and a soft brush to paint around the characters. Don't worry too much about making it right in first try
    - Now, on the same layer, use an Eraser with a soft brush over the characters to adjust the borders around them. Alternate brush (around the characters) and eraser (over the characters) as many times as you wish until it feels you nailed it.
    - Once you finish defining the borders, duplicate your upper layer with the white painting.
    - On the mid layer, change mode to "Color" so the white areas will make become Black and White over the original pic.
    - On the top layer, change opacity to 50% so the Black and White area gets less contrast.
    - Done!
    Awesome, thanks!
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

I apologize for the really late reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
    It could be a sign that Yamato's joining, but it could also be taking advantage of Yamato's massive popularity. (seeing as she placed eleventh in a worldwide popularity poll before even appearing in the anime) From what I've read, Law was treated in a similar way in earlier pieces of merchandise.
    Hmm, I didn't know that about Law. I guess it really is coincidence, with how the story is hinting at Yamato joining and the merchandising. I do plan to at least get the Yamato towel after I move in real life, she really is one of my favorite characters in Wano, with Tama being second.

So in addition to going out to sea with Luffy, Yamato wants to not be alone, have people who believe in her, and have people who accept her, all while being free. I suppose that lends to a little more potential towards Yamato joining the crew.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Just wanna point out in the official release for chapter 1025, Luffy calls Yamato Yamao, despite knowing Yamato knew Ace, knowing Yamato’s backstory essentially, relying on Yamato to look after Momo, and being impressed with Yamato’s fighting skills (being able to hold off Kaidou).

Usually Luffy as a sign of respect for a crew member would use their full name instead of a nickname (volume 96). And given all Luffy knows about Yamato I dunno what key bit of info would need to turn the tide for Luffy to go from nickname to not nickname at this poin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Usually Luffy as a sign of respect for a crew member would use their full name instead of a nickname (volume 96). And given all Luffy knows about Yamato I dunno what key bit of info would need to turn the tide for Luffy to go from nickname to not nickname at this poin
    I could see Yamato taking on a completely new name once everything is said and done. Not Oden, not the name he got from his father, but something he chooses for himself.

Luffy also didn't get Brook's, Chopper's or Robin's name right until after they joined. He consistently got Brook's name wrong or called him Skeleton, constantly referred to Chopper as "Reindeer" and didn't even know Robin's name when she joined. If Yamato asks Luffy to join which he already has stated he wants to do multiple times, Luffy (the guy who asked a zombie tree and zombie unicorn to join on first sight) has no reason to say no, and that's where Luffy will have the opportunity to get to know the person and start referring to them with their proper name.
    Last edited by TLC; September 12th, 2021 at 09:27 AM.

Oda tried to pull a sneaky in there by not letting Luffy see his DF form.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Closed Thread

Thread Information