View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 407 of 506 FirstFirst ... 307 357 397 405 406 407 408 409 417 457 ... LastLast
Results 8,121 to 8,140 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Possible that Carrot's narrative carries into something connecting to Pekoms and Germa's freedom. Don't know if the Wano spills into that immediately tho.
    I'm far from sure, but Germa's story is one of the few that I'm not expecting to be concluded in Wano. Maybe we get some info on what happened to them. But, due to some of the Germa themes crossing over with Vegapunk and Caesar, I'd bet more on their story coming back in the Vegapunk arc, even if they didn't survive WCI.

Now, Pekoms is someone I expect to hear about in Wano.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Man, you just made me realise something...
    Kin’emon may die because Yamato left Momonosuke’s side too early.

Holy shit...
    Yes, I think this is quite possibly a big deal. I had the same thought, so I agree that this is potentially quite significant. There are a few factors at play here and the Straw Hats haven't always followed orders, but generally speaking, characters willing to submit to Luffy as their captain fall in line and do as he tells them. Even characters who take charge like Jimbei and Zoro make sure to direct their counsel at Luffy such that he can be the one to give orders to the crew.

Luffy gave Yamato a job to do. I think she was motivated to go to the roof by some knowledge about Kaido's Devil Fruit ability which has not yet been made clear. She specifically said she had to hurry when she found out Luffy was alone and repeated the phrase 'one on one...', which seems like an intentional reference to the narration box accompanying Kaido's introduction: "in a one on one fight, always bet on Kaido." Going back to stuff I have said earlier, I think fortune favors Kaido when he's facing someone (even himself) one on one.

But importantly, Yamato already devised the plan to leave Momo and Shinobu between floors and was headed to the roof before Momo told her that Luffy was fighting Kaido solo. I think this does go back to Ace's line that Yamato is fit t be a captain. Beyond strength, I think it's about being willful and self-guided enough to be a leader rather than a follower. Yamato was so anxious to fight that she neglected the primary objective with which she was charged by Luffy.

Resultantly, she was not present when Kanjuro and Kaido arrived. I don't think she could have done anything about Kiku's fate. Kanjuro would have adopted Oden's likeness regardless and Kiku would have chosen to settle things herself regardless of whether Yamato was protecting Momo. I think her fate was already sealed at that point. But Yamato could have held off her father - and that means Kinemon's sacrifice may not have been necessary. So failure to follow Luffy's orders could very well lead to the death of Kinemon. That's a hell of a consequence.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

So we're already in mental gymnastics territory i see...Yamato is Jinbe all over again.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

I am still on the camp that the new crew member will be introduced on the next island.

Otherwise, Yamato is by far the closest we've had to a candidate.

I think that with Wano being liberated and information of the Void Century being revealed, the Samurais, Minks even Yamato are going to try and push the child of destiny onto Luffy and the latter will tell them to stop that, maybe even pushing the Straw Hats to escape at night. Although, I did have another ending for Wano in mind, but it seems unlikely at this point. Even if Oda likes to tease about it.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

If Yamato had been in the room when Kanjuro showed up, he would have been deceived by the Oden fake too and would just have a sword in the belly for his trouble. Not to mention, if Yamato introduced himself to Kinemon as Oden, after Kanjuro had already done his trick? Might have gotten a sword to the belly for his trouble.

And, though he can hold off Kaidou, we saw on the roof that it doesn't matter if you have backup, the weaker characters get beat down as collateral. Yamato being in the room might have spared Kinemon, it might not have, Maybe he uses a blast attack instead of hitting him with his mace. At best trying to protect a target would just leave Yamato open to direct attacks that he'd then be tanking instead of dodging.

He left Momo in a safe place with help just a moment away. And if he'd been allowed to leave sooner he MIGHT have gotten to the roof on time and started stalling Kaidou sooner, or kept Luffy from being knocked off.

Either way this is One Piece, so Kinemon's either not dead, or will have a heartwarming speech when he does and be okay with it. (A WAR should have at least one casualty after all.) Or a fire festival spirit. Same with all the other "surely dead now" Scabbards.
    Last edited by Robby; July 29th, 2021 at 08:41 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Tsuru and Kin'emon will embrace again.

Not even "death" will stop Kin'emon from that.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

The Kinnemon's possible death is Yamato's fault is just dumb reasoning.

Nobody in the story is going to be reaching to blame Yamato of all ppl for that. Not even Yamato himself.

Kaido hurt or killed Kinnemon. Yamato's presence does nkt guarantee it wouldn't have happened.

That's like trying to blame Jimbe for Ace's death cuz he wasn't there to protect Luffy from Akainu...again.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    The Kinnemon's possible death is Yamato's fault is just dumb reasoning.

Nobody in the story is going to be reaching to blame Yamato of all ppl for that. Not even Yamato himself.

Kaido hurt or killed Kinnemon. Yamato's presence does nkt guarantee it wouldn't have happened.

That's like trying to blame Jimbe for Ace's death cuz he wasn't there to protect Luffy from Akainu...again.
    I mean, Yamato warned them of the Marys and was eager to help Luffy out after finding out Luffy was in a one on one round against Kaido, which Luffy lost, which led to Kaido being allowed to swoop on down with nothing in his way and hurt Kinemon in the process.

Not following Luffy's orders to protect Momo for your own selfish reason is SH material.

I think it's really interesting Sanji can be blamed for 'not trusting the crew' and going to Whole Cake Island alone, but the new fan favorite Yamato is entirely immune to the slightest bit of criticism.\

Yamato left Momo in a place she thought was safe. She was wrong. It was not safe and they were found almost immediately.

And no, there are no mental gymnastics. And I believed Jimbei was joining during late Impel Down, so not comparable at all. But what can I say, this continues the trend.

But I also think Yamato has to many direct parallels to Luffy (eating DF the same way for example). I'm not a big power scaling person, but Yamato presently seems to be stronger than Zoro. She's holding off her father in his Hybrid form for longer than Zoro could and she seems to have a better grasp on conqueror's haki. Forget any concerns about Jimbei breaking up the Monster Trio. Whether or not she outranks Zoro, Yamato would almost certainly come in ahead of Sanji.

This is not mental gymnastics. This is not trolling. This is not all the other things that Yamato stans want to label it. It's a genuine opinion. What is the point of this thread if not to discuss ideas? You people act like this is a competition and try to diagnose the mental deficiency which produces counter arguments.

Not to mention really similar arguments are used against Carrot joining all the time. People in this thread went crazy over Usopp climbing the mast to snipe some guards and treated it like some smoking gun. You can sure bet that if the shoe were on the other foot and Carrot ignored Luffy's orders, the same people saying it's mental gymnastics to even consider the possibility Yamato is too similar to Luffy to submit to Luffy as a captain, would be singing a completely different tune if it didn't apply to Yamato.

I also never said anyone in the story will blame Yamato. I'm saying from an outside perspective, Yamato wanted to go help Luffy fight Kaido. Luffy had already given her a job to do and she stopped doing it. Noble intention or not, she didn't follow Luffy's orders and things went disastrously wrong soon afterward.
    Last edited by Vongola_Boss_XI; July 29th, 2021 at 11:40 AM.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If Yamato had been in the room when Kanjuro showed up, he would have been deceived by the Oden fake too and would just have a sword in the belly for his trouble. Not to mention, if Yamato introduced himself to Kinemon as Oden, after Kanjuro had already done his trick? Might have gotten a sword to the belly for his trouble.

And, though he can hold off Kaidou, we saw on the roof that it doesn't matter if you have backup, the weaker characters get beat down as collateral. Yamato being in the room might have spared Kinemon, it might not have, Maybe he uses a blast attack instead of hitting him with his mace. At best trying to protect a target would just leave Yamato open to direct attacks that he'd then be tanking instead of dodging.

He left Momo in a safe place with help just a moment away. And if he'd been allowed to leave sooner he MIGHT have gotten to the roof on time and started stalling Kaidou sooner, or kept Luffy from being knocked off.

Either way this is One Piece, so Kinemon's either not dead, or will have a heartwarming speech when he does and be okay with it. (A WAR should have at least one casualty after all.) Or a fire festival spirit. Same with all the other "surely dead now" Scabbards.
    Pretty much, its pretty disingenuous to say otherwise.

If were gonna follow this logic down the pit where it comes from Luffy is to blame as if he didn't fall Kinemon would be fine, but we can follow this logic with other people to but its just foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I think it's really interesting Sanji can be blamed for 'not trusting the crew' and going to Whole Cake Island alone, but the new fan favorite Yamato is entirely immune to the slightest bit of criticism.\

Yamato left Momo in a place she thought was safe. She was wrong. It was not safe and they were found almost immediately.

And no, there are no mental gymnastics. And I believed Jimbei was joining during late Impel Down, so not comparable at all. But what can I say, this continues the trend.

But I also think Yamato has to many direct parallels to Luffy (eating DF the same way for example). I'm not a big power scaling person, but Yamato presently seems to be stronger than Zoro. She's holding off her father in his Hybrid form for longer than Zoro could and she seems to have a better grasp on conqueror's haki. Forget any concerns about Jimbei breaking up the Monster Trio. Whether or not she outranks Zoro, Yamato would almost certainly come in ahead of Sanji.

This is not mental gymnastics. This is not trolling. This is not all the other things that Yamato stans want to label it. It's a genuine opinion. What is the point of this thread if not to discuss ideas? You people act like this is a competition and try to diagnose the mental deficiency which produces counter arguments.

Not to mention really similar arguments are used against Carrot joining all the time. People in this thread went crazy over Usopp climbing the mast to snipe some guards and treated it like some smoking gun. You can sure bet that if the shoe were on the other foot and Carrot ignored Luffy's orders, the same people saying it's mental gymnastics to even consider the possibility Yamato is too similar to Luffy to submit to Luffy as a captain, would be singing a completely different tune if it didn't apply to Yamato.

I also never said anyone in the story will blame Yamato. I'm saying from an outside perspective, Yamato wanted to go help Luffy fight Kaido. Luffy had already given her a job to do and she stopped doing it. Noble intention or not, she didn't follow Luffy's orders and things went disastrously wrong soon afterward.
    I've mentioned the same thing. Currently, he'd rank above all but Luffy if he were to join. And after the nonsense I've seen regarding Sanji vs Zoro recently, neither of them would be relevant if he joined. It would be Luffy, Yamato, and then who cares because no one else would be stronger.

Is obeying orders even a strawhat characteristic? Those dongs feel like they question "orders" all the time, and are all the better for it. Not that i would describe prioritizing the need to hold off Dado from killing everyone until Luff is back as a betrayal of any sort. It is a sound battle field decision anyone with half a brain would have made in that situation

We really doing the blame game here? Let me try and get the logic down.

Kinemon’s dead, and if Yamato didn’t leave, he could have stayed and protected everyone! So it’s his fault for not following Luffy’s orders!

Except, why did he leave? Luffy was fighting 1v1 against Kaido. Kaido should have still been on the roof when Yamato left Momo, but he wasn’t because Luffy failed. If Luffy hadn’t failed, Kaido wouldn’t have left the roof and wouldn’t have killed Kinemon. So it’s actually Luffy’s fault that Kinemon’s dead.

But why was Luffy alone on the roof? Law was there and left. Kaido wouldn't have left if Law was still up on the roof. He should have stayed so it wasn’t a 1v1, so it’s Law’s fault Kinemon’s dead.

But Law could have left if Kid had stayed. Kid abandoned them all on the roof, so it’s Kid’s fault Kinemon is dead.

Except Kid left to stall Big Mom. Why is Big Mom on the island? Because Luffy invaded her territory to get Sanji back. Sanji left to keep the strawhats out of trouble or else Luffy wouldn’t have had to rescue him. So it’s Sanji’s fault Kinemon’s dead.

But why was Sanji even in this mess? It was Judge pulling the strings, so Judge is the reason Kinemon is dead.

All the while Kinemon was safe on Zou and Wano. The only reason Luffy was able to make it to Wano was because Pedro sacrificed himself to allow their escape. If Luffy had died in WCI, Kinemon would have been captured much earlier in Wano, so it’s Pedro’s fault that Kinemon is dead on Onigashima.

But why did Pedro sacrifice himself? Because that damned Perospero was following them! It’s all the candy man’s fault. If I know anything of revenge in One Piece, all roads go back to Perospero, the true mastermind of the series.

Oh, but it's different for Yamato because he was given an order, which he fulfilled. Without Yamato, Momo would in fact be dead. Sasaki would have killed him. Luffy would consider that mission complete.

Honestly, if you stop at any point in this and place blame, it shows your personal bias. You place a blame somewhere on someone because you want to place blame on them. The plot is far to intricate and unpredictable that you cannot place blame on any one individual. Luffy sure as hell isn’t going to. End of the day only one person is responsible for Kinemon’s death: Kaido. Just as there is one person responsible for Pedro's death: Pedro. To argue anything else is to, in fact, perform mental gymnastics to justify your own bias.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I mean, Yamato warned them of the Marys and was eager to help Luffy out after finding out Luffy was in a one on one round against Kaido, which Luffy lost, which led to Kaido being allowed to swoop on down with nothing in his way and hurt Kinemon in the process.
    So it's Luffy's fault?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Not really the same thing.

Sanji not trusting the crew is a direct thing with them based prior events and experience (Nami and Robin specifically).

Even then ppl blaming Sanji for anything are jist as dumb. They didn't know his reasons or trauma or history with his family.

With Yamato its a pretty dumb reach about the actions of other ppl that were not his responsibility or his fault.

Luffy told Yamato to protect Momo. Not Kinnemon. Kaido is just as likely to attack them even with Yamato being there. You can't place a what if scenario in to your reasoning to guilt a character.

Kinnemon would try to protect Momo by attacking or outright attacking Kaido (cuz you know Oden) anyway.

It'd be a different scenario if Momo was hurt or killed.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Yeah, it's totally bizarre to me how anyone could blame Yamato for this super logical choice. Only because Kaido mocked him for it doesn't mean he's right.

Yams knew that it was only a matter of time before Kaido overwhelms Luffy in a 1 vs. 1 and then obviously proceeds to slaughter everyone on the live floor. One could even argue that he should have left them even earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I've mentioned the same thing. Currently, he'd rank above all but Luffy if he were to join. And after the nonsense I've seen regarding Sanji vs Zoro recently, neither of them would be relevant if he joined. It would be Luffy, Yamato, and then who cares because no one else would be stronger.
    LOL

Guess yall would have to deal with it if that's what you believe.

All that fan power scaling could do with some table clearing.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by kevinds View Post

Kinemon’s dead, and if Yamato didn’t leave, he could have stayed and protected everyone! So it’s his fault for not following Luffy’s orders!

Except, why did he leave? Luffy was fighting 1v1 against Kaido. Kaido should have still been on the roof when Yamato left Momo, but he wasn’t because Luffy failed. If Luffy hadn’t failed, Kaido wouldn’t have left the roof and wouldn’t have killed Kinemon. So it’s actually Luffy’s fault that Kinemon’s dead.

But why was Luffy alone on the roof? Law was there and left. Kaido wouldn't have left if Law was still up on the roof. He should have stayed so it wasn’t a 1v1, so it’s Law’s fault Kinemon’s dead.

But Law could have left if Kid had stayed. Kid abandoned them all on the roof, so it’s Kid’s fault Kinemon is dead.

Except Kid left to stall Big Mom. Why is Big Mom on the island? Because Luffy invaded her territory to get Sanji back. Sanji left to keep the strawhats out of trouble or else Luffy wouldn’t have had to rescue him. So it’s Sanji’s fault Kinemon’s dead.

But why was Sanji even in this mess? It was Judge pulling the strings, so Judge is the reason Kinemon is dead.

All the while Kinemon was safe on Zou and Wano. The only reason Luffy was able to make it to Wano was because Pedro sacrificed himself to allow their escape. If Luffy had died in WCI, Kinemon would have been captured much earlier in Wano, so it’s Pedro’s fault that Kinemon is dead on Onigashima.

But why did Pedro sacrifice himself? Because that damned Perospero was following them! It’s all the candy man’s fault. If I know anything of revenge in One Piece, all roads go back to Perospero, the true mastermind of the series.

Oh, but it's different for Yamato because he was given an order, which he fulfilled. Without Yamato, Momo would in fact be dead. Sasaki would have killed him. Luffy would consider that mission complete.

Honestly, if you stop at any point in this and place blame, it shows your personal bias. You place a blame somewhere on someone because you want to place blame on them. The plot is far to intricate and unpredictable that you cannot place blame on any one individual. Luffy sure as hell isn’t going to. End of the day only one person is responsible for Kinemon’s death: Kaido. Just as there is one person responsible for Pedro's death: Pedro. To argue anything else is to, in fact, perform mental gymnastics to justify your own bias.
    Not for me. I already said it was bad writing. Oda-sensei had to get Yamato to the roof and the method in which he came up to do so was flawed and short-sighted. Luffy asked Yamato to protect Momo. That's technically an open-ended request that doesn't expire. Yamato became more fixated on what was going on with Luffy and left Momo (with a decoy that fooled like one fodder character) assuming he was safe. Kaido shows up, obliterates Kinemon who now has to protect Momo alone, and Shinobu and Momo barely escape. Again, it was how Oda-sensei handled it. He got Yamato to the roof, but made it look sloppy along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinds View Post

Go back far enough and I bet this is Shanks' and then Roger's fault then Whitebeard's the reason Kinnemon's dead.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Not for me. I already said it was bad writing. Oda-sensei had to get Yamato to the roof and the method in which he came up to do so was flawed and short-sighted. Luffy asked Yamato to protect Momo. That's technically an open-ended request that doesn't expire. Yamato became more fixated on what was going on with Luffy and left Momo (with a decoy that fooled like one fodder character) assuming he was safe. Kaido shows up, obliterates Kinemon who now has to protect Momo alone, and Shinobu and Momo barely escape. Again, it was how Oda-sensei handled it. He got Yamato to the roof, but made it look sloppy along the way.
    Yeah but Kinnemon would've stepped up regardless even if Yamato was there.

In the end Momo was still safe.
    Last.fm

All I'm doing is applying the same logic the people mocking this line of thought used against other characters. But I guess people aren't willing to see that. I also wasn't trying to blame Yamato. I was suggesting that yes, there are potentially ramifications of Yamato's choice, which, whether the reasoning was sound or not, was the wrong choice because Momo was very quickly discovered as soon as Yamato left him and Shinobu alone, but more importantly that not listening to the one directive she received from Luffy up to this point lends to the idea she's more of a leader than a follower.

Closed Thread

Thread Information