View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 392 of 506 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 390 391 392 393 394 402 442 492 ... LastLast
Results 7,821 to 7,840 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Maybe its been said before but Yamatos df having fire based attacks makes me think he wont join as the fire element is already filled by Sanji

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Maybe its been said before but Yamatos df having fire based attacks makes me think he wont join as the fire element is already filled by Sanji
    Luffy and Franky also have fire. And Zoro can cut it. Characters can have side elements. Ex. Robin, Usopp, and Chopper all have flower as a theme to some degree but Usopp is the main plant dude.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Also Yamato having fire based powers just makes him more like Ace. But we have Sabo for the Ace-like figure.

I think it helps his already stupidly high chances of joining. Having Ace, but a hot (puns) lady looking Ace on the crew almost all the time to cap it off? It's fucking genius and Oda earns every single one of his yen for reasons like this.

If Yamato really does have a fired-based DF, then he truly is the most derivative character in the series. Nami's likeness, Kaido-style horns, kanabo, and fighting style, Oden's obi, sandals, and "personality," a DF that makes him look like a sulong mink, and apparently fire-based attacks like Ace and Sabo? Not saying any of that necessarily decreases his chances of joining, but Oda-sensei sure didn't add many unique traits. I just assumed that his DF would be the thing to set him apart and make him more unique, but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurloz View Post
    That's literally Barto's whole gimmick. He's been obsessively following the SHs since Loguetown, knows the truth of all their travels including incidents that the WG covered up (Alabasta/EL), and has been keeping memorabilia to commemorate them. The only upper hand Yamato has in this area is knowing about a vague "the dawn" prophecy. Yamato might've been aware of Luffy's existence first but I'm not sure how they could possibly document his journey before he started hitting the papers. And even then I'm hesitant to call any of this logging in the same vein as what Oden did, because it's just copying information from a secondhand source.
    Barto wants to worship Luffy like a fanboy because he seemed really cool.

Yamato wants to be companions with the person that has *that* dream.

bart followed the crazy adventures of his hero. Yamato followed the rising of his friend's little brother.

It's an important distinction.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Answering why would Luffy say no to anyone joining this arc:

It is pretty much guaranteed that a lot of information from the Void century will be revealed, with all the information from collected poneglyphs, Oden's journal.

If after hearing these things Yamato, or other characters want to push destiny onto Luffy, I can see Luffy escaping Wano because he wants nothing to do with all that.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Nami's likeness,
    Not for nearly a year. Certainly not since we saw him in color.

Kaido-style horns,
    They both have horns but they're not much alike is size, shape, or style. And, among the leads, that's a unique feature.

kanabo, and fighting style,
    Sanji picked up his kicking fighting style from Zeff and uses CP9 style moves. Zoro is a sword user like his mentors and stole Kinemon's fire cutting. . Nami is using nothing but equipment made by others, including Usopp, sky wizards, and Big Mom. Usopp is a sniper like his father. Jinbe isn't the only fishman to use fishman karate, even Koala does that.

Oden's obi, sandals, and "personality,"
    Luffy is wearing Shank's sandals and shorts, copied his scar, and owns his actual hat as his most recognizable feature. And is apparently a clone of Roger's personality.

a DF that makes him look like a sulong mink,
    Minks don't get the fire effects, they black out their eyes, and we don't know what it looks like till we see it in color.

and apparently fire-based attacks like Ace and Sabo?
    We haven't seen the fighting style in action at all. And Ace and Sabo aren't in the crew. Its a bit early to say its stealing a moveset. Might as well throw in Marco and Akainu while you're at it.
    Last edited by Robby; July 23rd, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Bob already complaining of fire attacks Yamato's never done, just like he was already complaining of an unconfirmed Kirin devil fruit.

Lmao, talk about bias attitide xD

So, the fur isn't the problem now. It's the colour and effects...
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    So, the fur isn't the problem now. It's the colour and effects...
    When the fur has constant fire streaming out of it an is and alt mode instead of the default, and so is visually distinct even in black and white, yes.
    Last edited by Robby; July 23rd, 2021 at 06:25 PM.

Let the Mink in.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    If Yamato does join, I’m leaning towards the role of log keeper. The interaction with Franky is interesting. Yamato doesn’t say “You must be one of Luffy’s friends”. Instead, Yamato acknowledged Franky by name, epithet, and bounty. This shows that Yamato is informed in regards to the Strawhats, which suggests that Yamato has been keeping track of the Strawhats journey.

We then learn in chapter 1000 that Yamato has been aware and interested in Luffy before he even set sail. This makes it possible for Yamato to have followed and logged Luffy’s adventure from the beginning. Of course, Yamato would not have been able to document the specifics, but the documentation of Luffy’s general journey is possible.

I saw someone mention this earlier - and I agree, this would also tie Yamato to the 3D2Y moment. 3D2Y was an important moment in the Strawhats journey and all of the Strawhats waited 2 years (even Jinbei said that he would meet Luffy on FI in two years). If Yamato has been keeping track of the Luffy since the beginning, then Yamato would have also waited two years to continue logging.
    Yeah, I've been leaning towards logkeeper as well.

Only thing bothers me is him not being able to log the specifics. Its the type of role where you wish he was there from the beginning.

Outside of having some mind reading ability or some Cipher pol/emperor like Intel network he wont have all those adventures logged just what comes next amd the final war.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Yamato having a fire based DF does feel derivativ, but the problem isn't Ace/Sabo as much as Marco. You can count the number of Mythical Zoans in the series on one hand and Oda is again doing a "magical flames" thing?
    It's too early to say too much as we havent seen what he intends to do with it but I'm feeling nervous about it

IMO, after 30 chapters, Yamato is what Oda has shown so far.

He does not have hidden depth, a compelling backstory waiting to be explored, a defining fighting style, an uniquely cool DF or some amusing character quirks.

He's meant to be the guy that finds Oden's journal, delivers it to Momo, and holds off the big bad while Luffy is away.
    He's an extra added late in an already bloated arc, and is not meant to be a new protagonist.

In the end, he will learn a very valuable lesson about being his own man and set sail on his own, promising to help Luffy in the future.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    IMO, after 30 chapters, Yamato is what Oda has shown so far.

He does not have hidden depth, a compelling backstory waiting to be explored, a defining fighting style, an uniquely cool DF or some amusing character quirks.

He's meant to be the guy that finds Oden's journal, delivers it to Momo, and holds off the big bad while Luffy is away.
    He's an extra added late in an already bloated arc, and is not meant to be a new protagonist.

In the end, he will learn a very valuable lesson about being his own man and set sail on his own, promising to help Luffy in the future.
    Again, look at Jinbe during Marineford. He's literally just there to showcase cool Fishman moves, but has little depth shown. His character there is completely defined by Whitebeard and Ace.

Holy shit, some of you are impatient despite having knowledge of how Oda works. Oda already went all the way in giving him a lot of promo and setting multiple mysteries surrounding the character. And he's going to answer everything in due time.

He's not going to reveal everything soon. He has never done this. Robin, Franky, Brook took several dozens chapters to get actual depth. Literally 90% of Kinemon and Momo's characters during their first 100 chapters is a massive lie. And let's not even talk about Kanjuro.

Honestly, you should reread some arcs and notice how long Oda takes to actually give characters depth after introducing them.
    Last edited by King Cannon; July 23rd, 2021 at 06:57 PM.

I get the feeling Yamato will end up liking Luffy out of genuinely liking him and not just because he’s Ace brother, in light of Jinbe saying the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Again, look at Jinbe during Marineford. He's literally just there to showcase cool Fishman moves, but has little depth shown.

Holy shit, some of you are impatient despite having knowledge of how Oda works. Oda already went all the way in giving him a lot of promo and setting multiple mysteries surrounding the character. And he's going to answer everything in due time.

He's not going to reveal everything soon. He has never done this. Robin, Franky, Brook took several dozens chapters to get actual depth. Literally 90% of Kinemon and Momo's characters during their first 100 chapters is a massive lie. And let's not even talk about Kanjuro.
    You are comparing apples to oranges. Characters that had decades to develop over several arcs to one that was introduced late into the most bloated arc in the story's whole history. Besides, by the 30 chapter mark, Jinbe, Kin'emon and Momonosuke all had time to show or a\t least hint at hidden depths.

Yamato is not a repeat of Jinbe. He's more like a new Don Sai.

If Oda had plans for Yamato, there would be a few signs of it by now. There haven't. There's no bigger hidden story being developed here, Yamato is what he appears to be.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

We just started the Yamato/Kaido interactions. Let it breath and then judge on it.

But so far we've gotten Yamatos declaration. A big DF hybrid form. A parallel to eating it while hungry like Luffy.

Just gotta be patient and see what happens.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Let's be real here, alot of the nakama hype surrounding Yamato comes from the fact that she's a female (I mean, biologically) and people just expect another female crewmate to even out the ratio. Virtually every significant female character that is introduced gets some level of Nakama-Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    We just started the Yamato/Kaido interactions. Let it breath and then judge on it.

But so far we've gotten Yamatos declaration. A big DF hybrid form. A parallel to eating it while hungry like Luffy.

Just gotta be patient and see what happens.
    I was expecting Yamato's development to come with him confronting Kaido, yes.
    So far, it has been very underwhelming. Instead of character focused moments, we are getting spoon-fed tiny reveals that ultimately fulfill the whole picture but do not change anything significant about it.
    I was hoping for a nice fighting style reveal, or a more interestingly unique mythic zoan, or at least hints of a deeper father/son relationship than what Yamato had revealed so far. Instead, what little Oda gave us just confirms (to me) Yamato as not meant to be a deep character. His relationship with his dad is exactly as he told before, his fighting style is just generic Kaido's, his DF power is just a standard physical enhancement. So, yeah, right now I'm fearing the hype put on Yamato was undeserved.

Closed Thread

Thread Information