+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The history of Arlong Park Forums

Default The history of Arlong Park Forums

I didn't know in which section I shoul create this thread, since the subsections of the "Arlong Park" section didn't really fit. I sometimes read older chapter threads just to see what people were discussing/thinking back then and I recently went back to the very first chapter threads of this forum, back in 2005, when One Piece was in the middle of Frankys flashback on Water 7. Some of the stuff people were considering back then is pretty funny in hindsight, like discussing if Whitebeard could stand a chance against Lucci and seriously expecting One Piece to end around Volume 45 (Not even close guys, not even close). But what got me was that users back then mentioned the former forum and a temp forum etc. Now I've been actually around for quite some time. I've been reading this forum much longer than I've been an actual member, since around 2007 and got to see a lot of awesome stuff going on on these forums (god, how much fun some of these character tournaments were back then. People poured so much work and creativity into their campaigns, it was beautiful). But the fact is, I feel like I've still missed a lot of the history of this forum. I would love it if some of the old-timers could answer some of my questions. When did the first Arlong Park forum start up? Which chapter was the first one that was discussed on here? How were the users and atmosphere back then? Why did they have to change forums? etc. etc. Even though due to Reddit and Youtube, a forum like this isn't nearly as active anymore as it used to be, it has been a big part of my life for more than ten years now and has seen some very exciting and tumultuous times. I'm very interested in learning more about this awesome place.

If anybody is a more recent member that also wants to learn more about Arlong Park history and ask questions, feel free to do so.

Default Re: The history of Arlong Park Forums

I only joined after the move to the new forum but I remember visiting the main site (Don't know if there's still a main site) before that. I wonder if you could pull the old site up on Archive.org or something. I mostly remember the humor threads since I wasn't caught up on the manga for a little bit. But there was stuff like that Enel on the moon comic that I think I was reading as the people were drawing it. It's kind of sad going into older threads and seeing how many people used to be regulars that don't post anymore.

I started lurking as a guest back in 2005. The biggest difference is 15 years in the atmosphere. Back then, there was a lot more machismo. You were more likely to see a big outcry from a couple members if Usopp was afraid of something or if anything 'emo' happened, in One Piece or anything else. I remember this culminating in a pages-long argument in a chapter thread about whether or not Mace Windu's lightsaber was purple - because purple wasn't a manly color.

Place has really mellowed out since then.

I remember posting a little and lurking on the old board, but back then we still had a Swedish language board i used to frequent so i wasn't really a full on regular. But as i recall there was a crash and a server migration to the current platform. As for how this board was back then, it was a shit posting central in the vein of Oro Jackson or Worst Gen. Lots of Mihawk wanking, insightful threads like could Mihawk beat Kenshin or could Mihawk beat Kenshins teacher got like 30 pages. In general people just posted more, like stream of conciousness posting and virtually any topic took off once started. And lots of those "tough" guys Hide mentioned. Things have changed quite a bit since then

IIRC the site was created in spring 2003 and the first forum was made sometime after that, in response to a huge number of comments being posted on each update.

And back then, it was pretty much ocean running the site, providing spoilers etc. right?

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    And back then, it was pretty much ocean running the site, providing spoilers etc. right?
    No, I'm pretty sure Ocean didn't come on board until the second iteration of the forums.

Oh the many many spoiler providers that have come and gone.

We should have an in memory of ceremony for Aohige and battlefranky and the rest.

And maybe a shit poster hall of fame

Exclamation Re: The history of Arlong Park Forums

Okay kiddies, story time.

The original site was developed by Aftershock and run by EvilGamerX, The Dude, Roboblue, Matt, and myself.

It was very much akin to, say, the first iteration of a one piece wiki. It had character bios and detailed descriptions of attacks (mostly Luffy's)

Pretty sure the attack page was spearheaded by The Dude.

I came along soon after the creation and became a site admin, content creator, and forum admin for the original forum. (And this one until ...maybe 2012?)

These were the days of chinese manga scans with translations like "Binami The Daschund" (Bellamy)

These were the days of awful HK subs downloaded from Limewire that took three days to finish downloading so you might have downloaded every other episode

That is until you found Kaizoku-Fansubs and the IRC (RoboBlue knows-- we were both quality control guys for K-F back in the day).

Arlong Park and K-F are intertwined in my mind as mutually responsible for allowing fans to go beyond where Shonen Jump could take them.

These were the days before 4kids had the rights, the days before anyone had the anime rights.

But not before Shonen Jump started publishing monthly Shonen Jump.

When I got current in the manga we were somewhere toward the end of Skypeia.

I remember being the only one on the forum to theorize that "the man on the bicycle" (Kuzan) must have the ice fruit and is freezing the water beneath him. You always remember the wins, right?

It was a good time, we had a great member base before and after the switch. I remember the switch well. I was disappointed about the lost threads but we made due. EGX (EvilGamerX) was the forum and site host at the time IIRC.

Not much is different. We had our weekly episode talks with links to raw torrents and new K-F releases (the best)

We had our weekly spoiler threads. Which after avoiding them the week of the CP9 Galley La reveal I vowed to never look at them again.

That was a good era, Water 7. I remember fondly chatting, discussing, and theorizing about that arc. Who's going to join!? Paulie? Kaku? Franky?

Around Sabaody and Impel Down I remember the board getting a little out of hand with shitposts and just general stupidity. I'm not ashamed to say I banned a lot of members back then for simply not living up to the community standards of the (at those new times) early days.

Even though I've fallen into obscurity and there's only a handful of people I remember from the glory days I've always loved this community and I'm glad a thread like this was posted just for the opportunity to reflect and reminisce.
    Last edited by Randy1031; March 18th, 2020 at 03:26 PM.
    K-F|Jango

Wow, thanks for those great and super interesting insights, Randy1031! As I mentioned earlier, I'm currently reading those old Water 7 / Enies Lobby chapter threads and its a true blast to see what sort of stuff people back then were discussing and thinking. Also cool to rediscover some of those old members who are inactive now but were a big part of the community back then, like, say, Cap'n'Carter or Battle Franky, names I still remember. But obviously, I can't go back to the days of the first forum so thank you so much for sharing your memories.

I definitely remember both K-F subs and those horrible, horrible Hongkong Subs. I even owned those on DVD once, bought them on ebay as a kid, and then I was introduced to Sunkist and Liar Boo, lol. My mother somehow managed to sell them on a flea market to some poor sap who probably had no idea what he was getting into, haha. K-F subs were awesome though. I think I had, at the very least, their subs up to episode 200 saved on my hard drive, once. It's kinda sad that those times are over now, to a point.

And glad that you enjoyed using this thread to reminisce, that's partially what I created it for

Thanks for this thread. It's good to know a bit of the history of this site.

Ah Carter and Battle Franky.

2003-2007 was the true golden age of piracy. Arlong Park was great, Kaizoku-Fansubs was great, the IRC. All of it.

The 4kids dub eventually lead to a surge of young kids joining and really changed the dynamic of the forum. Trying to explain to those kids how what they were watching was terrible was sometimes wasted breath.

But in 2008 when the shitposting truly reached peak levels. Cap'nCarter created his own little known forum called "New Pork City" -- a secret private forum where a lot of the original members from years ago migrated. including myself, The Dude, and Battle Franky. About 200 total members. Probably 50 (very) active ones. We had a 1000 page strong One Piece thread going for 10 years there. Carter recently stopped hosting the site about a year ago. It just vanished one day. That would have been an interesting read for you as well.

Now AP has mellowed back down. The people here are the ones that want to be here. Reminds me of the old days in a way, except everyone's just-- 16 years older.

On an old hard drive I might have screenshots of the old site somewhere. If I ever find them I'll try and host them and post a photo.
    K-F|Jango

Ahh dammit I would have loved to read that thread on Carter's forum!

This thread had me nostalgic and I actually went back into my posts and found this thread from 12 years ago where we listed the history out-- quoted below is my post from that thread in 2008 (funny how without thinking I basically started the post the exact same way) Time played a little bit of telephone with my earlier post. This one of course would be considered more accurate.

Please see the full thread for other accounts from members from way back and even a couple of screenshots of the original forum! http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=18254&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Randy1031 View Post
    Alright.

A history lesson kiddies.

Arlong Park was a website created some time in 2002 I believe by Aftershock. Main site updaters included The Dude, EGX, Roboblue, and myself. The website mostly advertised K-F releases, RAW (Saiyaman) releases, and Chapter releases. It did have an extensive character bio guide, attack list (by The Dude) and episode summary area.

The Forum came later. Roboblue and I worked for Kaizoku-Fansubs at the time as well, along with Wanderer-Zero. We were all part of the same team and one day W-Z couldn't decide what to do with his vast amount of server space. So we made the first forum with it. I forget how many times the server switched. I think in total there were 3 Arlong Park forums over the course of 2003-now. Two of the changes were in the same year.

When everything started it was basically just the main site updaters and a couple of people who work for K-F running the forum. Dythim being one of those people. Oceanizer used to be the equivalent of Battle Franky. I can't remember if he gave us the links to the chapters but he definitely translated them for us week after week for a good year probably. We as administration took him in because he was a big contributer to the community here. He did great work so it wasn't long before we added him as an admin. The forum became pretty popular fast. We had a lot of people who checked the site often and joined. We had a lot migrate from K-F forums. And we had a lot move to the forums from our IRC channel on #Rizon. Since most of us worked for K-F back when we'd pump out on a regular basis, we were pretty busy and needed some backup. Outstanding regulars such as e1n, konis, Gurneel, bushido, SetaGinny, GoAnderson, and Pepsi joined the team. We made it a kind of tradition to add a couple of members to the staff each year. Other outstanding members like Taboo, Battle Franky, bevin, Zio, Roz, Cosmic Debris, and Carly followed not too long after. Cinder and Jonas22 have been around a long time too. I believe W-Z's server fell through eventually and Jonas provided us with the stable one we have today. Cinder if I recall correctly used to provide copies of the 4kids episodes back in the day for us to scratch our eyes at and did work for the site. I'm sure I forgot some people but I did leave for a while as some remember.

There's a lot of history in this place. The old site has kind of fallen apart, I'm not sure how much remains from the original one in this new one. Aftershock, the founder, has been MIA for years as far as I recall. The forum is pretty much the top American One Piece board around though. The only reason I'm back is that, now having spent time as an actual member, I see some changes that need to be done to keep this place as great and fun as it was in the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanizer View Post
    To add Randy's history from my side of view,

First forum = http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://alp.psyprod.com (Jan 2004~Jul 2004)
    I didn't know the forum's existance yet. I got to know Arlong Park when this forum crashed or something. During that time, I believe most of the forum members posted in the main site, where we had news releases with commenting system.

IP address = http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://66.90.103.231 (Aug 2004~Feb 2005)
    We were using IPB here. I believe some of the original forum members were chosen to be mods, including e1n, Seta Ginny, SuNa. I was just a regular forum member back then, who grabbed spoilers and full chapters along providing translation. Zio was promoted to be a mod after a while. I was offered to be one at the same time as Zio, but declined because I didn't want to do extra work. Though, eventually I became more active and it was just easy if I could organize the forum, so I asked RoboBlue and was given the job.

ap.animemedia.org = http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ap.animemedia.org (Feb 2005~Feb 2006)
    We were still using IPB at first, but wanderer-zero decided that we should be using the "legal" version of the forum software (with IPB, I think we were using a trial version), so we moved to vB. We might have gotten some donation at this time to purchase the forum software, but I don't remember much.

apforums.net = http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://apforums.net (Feb 2006~Now)
    Admins (or whoever) decided that the forum should have its own domain name, and so we had it. We were stable for a while, but started to have some server problem; that was when we had white screen of doom. Some new registered users had problem receiving emails as well; that was when I stepped up as an admin to approve the new members manually. We eventually started to put a banner ad at the bottom of the forum, hoping to generate some income so we can buy server space at a better location.

Sometime on June 2006, I took over the forum from wanderer-zero, and repurchased the forum software as well as renewing its license and the domain name yearly after that. Though, even if I'm the one who is responsible to the forum, I still don't want/like to take the leadership, so as long as someone else (Randy seems to be doing good lately? - not sure) can do the job well, I'll go hide and support the forum from backside.

As for the main site, After Shock found it, but he disappeared sometime after Oct 2005. I remember before his disappearance, the site crashed couple of times. Then Jonas purchased .net and .org and then continued on the site with wiki format.

*goes back to work*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Let's see... the forums I remember in connection with the site prior to the current incarnation are:

http://web.archive.org/web/200412201...hp?showforum=4 The first Arlong Park forum I recall posting on as http://web.archive.org/web/200412282...p?showuser=173 shows.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502150...animemedia.org The replacement forum from Feb. 12, 2005.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/depotdepot A temporary resolution to the almost immediate crash of the replacement forum.

The Wayback Machine had quite a few of the old Arlong Park mainpages saved. Who was "matt" though? I remember Aftershock and most of the others are still around, but that name doesn't ring a bell.
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=18259 - another topic regarding the history
    Last edited by Randy1031; March 16th, 2020 at 06:04 PM.
    K-F|Jango

I rember seta ginny, she used to do a great Alabasta nami cosplay.

I remember Zephos (MonkeyKing) posting some self done comics about the forum and itīs history. (but that was some kind of parody and more about NewPorkCity)
    But i donīt remember his username at the time so i canīt find it.
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/S.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevilīs plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonneyīs past/Joy-Boy/Zunishaīs story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quichotte De Flamingo View Post
    I remember Zephos (MonkeyKing) posting some self done comics about the forum and itīs history. (but that was some kind of parody and more about NewPorkCity)
    But i donīt remember his username at the time so i canīt find it.
    Jerk disease or deltron seem the closest in time to that era. But you could just search for coronation day, since that was the name of that ms paint thing about Carters clubhouse

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by Randy1031 View Post
    This thread had me nostalgic and I actually went back into my posts and found this thread from 12 years ago where we listed the history out-- quoted below is my post from that thread in 2008 (funny how without thinking I basically started the post the exact same way) Time played a little bit of telephone with my earlier post. This one of course would be considered more accurate.

Please see the full thread for other accounts from members from way back and even a couple of screenshots of the original forum! http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=18254&page=2

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=18259 - another topic regarding the history
    Matt was one of EGX's friends. He made some AMVs which I think were hosted on the site early on.

Ah, the true truth we were seeking, there's the answer to the void century right there.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Matt was one of EGX's friends. He made some AMVs which I think were hosted on the site early on.
    That's right! Man, time flies. I'd love to watch those again just for nostalgia.

=======================

Here's some old shots of AP and K-F.

The old attack page.

K-F was at the Sanji / Bon Clay fight. Raws just hit Davy Back, and the most recent chapter was Paulie looking for the blueprints in Iceberg's office.

The forum in 2004-- Look at us discussing Grand Battle 3. I still remember playing that with my freeloader. One of the most fun OP games still to this day honestly.

The front page of the website in 2005.

RoboBlue is excited for the reveal of Kazuki Yao as Franky, I'm excited for the Galley-La foreman episode, and EGX was posting information on Fighting For One Piece (PS2)

The chapters had just reached Sogeking! And K-F was at Jaya.

Crazy to remember how close the manga and anime were at the time. But hey, that's how we got One Pace.

Front page of Kaizoku-Fansubs

Bot listing page, shoutout to Roboblue again with K-F|Crocodile.

I ran K-F|Jango. Wanderer-Zero was K-F|Smoker, and our leader back then-- Dythim had K-F|Makino.

K-F's 100th release

K-F|Jango

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information