+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 963: Becoming Samurai

Default Re: Chapter 963: Becoming Samurai

It appears "Mountain God" isn't just a nickname. That boar got sliced clean in half, yet is now sewnt back to shape, lol. I'm glad, though. For a moment I thought the poor pigglet became an orphan.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

First chapter that makes me want to see more of this flashback which is nice as this one seems to be a long one. Also really nice to see "young" WB with his crew...

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    It appears "Mountain God" isn't just a nickname. That boar got sliced clean in half, yet is now sewnt back to shape, lol. I'm glad, though. For a moment I thought the poor pigglet became an orphan.
    Makes you wonder why they didn't eat it.
    Maybe that's why they say that everyone should hide the livestock? Because Oden frees it or something? Yet eating fish is okay because it's an Oden-soup main ingredient?

I take it we have 2 to 3 chapters left for this flashback.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Makes you wonder why they didn't eat it.
    Maybe that's why they say that everyone should hide the livestock? Because Oden frees it or something? Yet eating fish is okay because it's an Oden-soup main ingredient?
    Well, it's a sacred animal just like those fish cats in Alabasta. It would be like eating an elephant in India.

Best chapter of the flashback. I really am starting to like the scabbards more and seeing more of their family dynamic. They are basically another variation of the Strawhat crew. Makes the whole situation with Yasuie even better, and shows why he was so respected. Spread of the squad rolling up to the capital was also on point. It's going to REALLY hurt if one of these people end up being the traitor cause nothing in this flashback has made any of them look suspect. If anything, you feel it's even less likely now with how hard they worked to represent themselves as honorable for Oden.

And yeah, the last few pages are obviously hype. I'm super curious to see how the relationship develops, why Izo decided to go/stay with Whitebeard, and how/when Oden meets with Toki. It has to happen soon since Momo needs to be born in 2 years, which means he has to meet Toki and get jiggy with it with her in about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post

Well, it's a sacred animal just like those fish cats in Alabasta. It would be like eating an elephant in India.
    Oh right, it was called Mountain God after all. I guess that explains it.

Denjiro to Oden: "I guess it's just in your nature to attract others..."
    well, it's same as Luffy. No wonder Shirohige & Roger admire him.
    Oden & His Vassal feels as SHP v2

I'm laughing that Oden's loincloth got a translation note

Quote Originally Posted by Starrk View Post
    Denjiro to Oden: "I guess it's just in your nature to attract others..."
    well, it's same as Luffy. No wonder Shirohige & Roger admire him.
    Oden & His Vassal feels as SHP v2
    You could almost view Oden's story as a what if Luffy died, and the Strawhats wanted to get revenge on X person.

Reading through this, I would really have expected it to be the final chapter of volume 95, because what a note to end on, but according to the volume's pagecount we've got one more to go. What could Oda possibly add to make a stronger finale than Whitebeard arriving?

I really like these Germ Pirates on the cover. They're an appealing set of character designs, and I love the way Oda takes the time to draw five unique characters for a crew that's probably going to be swept up by Bege in like two whole panels. That kind of thing makes the world feel populated and lived in, even though the scope of the main plot long ago went past the level these guys are operating on.

This was a pretty good chapter considering how much of it was scenes we'd already seen in the past. There's an interesting contrast between Dogstorm's idealised view of Oden rescuing him and the real, unfiltered vresion where Oden was willing to just walk off and leave them there after beating up the guys he doesn't like. Similarly it's an interesting comparison between the scene with the Scabbards at Yasuie's place before and after we've been properly introduced to these characters. Kawamatsu's expression has changed completely because his actual lips simply couldn't do the kind of grin his silhouette had in chapter 943 (I wonder if that was a misdirection or if his design wasn't fully pinned down yet) and Izo's face fault was far less extreme in the old version, presumably to ensure he was recognisable before the idea of him being part of the group was fully established. Also Denjiro's silhouette in the old one seems to imply he's not wearing his glasses, but I think that's just because it would have looked weirder if he had no eyes at all.

I'm a little frustrated Oda would give us Kawamatsu's backstory without confirming what species of fish he's meant to be. Are there any theories? Because I have no damn clue what he's going for.

The growth in the Scabbards is nicely explained and goes a long way to explain how different their personalities are between their introductions and the present. Kinemon apparently dyes his hair during this time for some reason. I thought that change might have some significance to it, but I guess not. This also seems to explain the formal, old timey way the translations have tended to have Kinemon and co speak. The original assumption was that this was to emphasise some linguistic difference Wano had, but it's actually a result of their education.

Curious that religion is on the board of subjects being taught. Does Wano have an official faith? Are the Kozukis and the Scabbards more pious than we've been giving them credit for? Gimmie that worldbuilding Oda pls

Yama being sewn back together is hilarious. Oda apparently heard my thoughts that a horizontal bisection was cruel and found an answer. I think this makes the already-great background detail of ladders being propped up against his still-standing body for people to climb out even better.

And then we get the Whitebeard Crew. Hell yeah! I like that some of his allies from Marineford are core crew members here. I wonder if we'll eventually see a similar thing happen to the Strawhats in the epilogue, since some people's main goals might require them to go their own way for a while. Also, I hope Oda takes the opportunity to make canon appearances for the handful of databook-listed Whitebeard allies that weren't found in the Marineford chapters. He didn't do it for the currently psuedo-canon members of Ace's crew during his Wano cameo, but I assume we'll be spending a little more time with Whitebeard so...

So taht's another really solid chapter down. It's a shame Oden could have lived to meet Luffy, the two really do seem like they could have been kindred spirits. Can't wait to see where Oda takes Oden next, for the big finish for volume 95.

Why didn't WB use black hardening? shouldn't his weapon get damaged even if a little cause Oden used it on his swords? is this another case of transparent haki? is that even a thing? *sigh* such details always make me uneasy about haki demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    Why didn't WB use black hardening? shouldn't his weapon get damaged even if a little cause Oden used it on his swords? is this another case of transparent haki? is that even a thing? *sigh* such details always make me uneasy about haki demonstration.
    Oda has been continuously confusing on his portrayal of Armament Haki from the get-go. It's certainly something that's bugged me for a while, especially since he simplifies/explains in detail various other powers in the story. I mean he gave this whole explanation of Crodocile's fruit, including how he's learned to use it to drain liquids from others to dehydrate and kill them. Meanwhile, no full explanation exactly how Armament Haki works. It wouldn't bug me as much if Hyogoro has given a full explanation on it to Luffy. But instead we simply got info that is new, yet gives explanation to the pre-timeskip aspects of it. Everything shy of a straight up explanation.

As of now I see it as two ways.

1: Weak invisible Haki < Black Hardening Haki < strong, force field, internal damage Haki like Rayleigh used to stop the exploding collar

2: Black Hardening < Any form of invisible Haki

So depending on how it may be, Newgate used a weaker form of Armament, a much stronger type, or maybe he just simply didn't use Armament Haki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Unless Oda wants to explore some of the One Piece journey through Oden and Roger.

We still need to meet Toki and maybe show little Momo and his interaction with Roger that he spoke of, as well as Oden meeting Roger obviously. And who knows, maybe we'll get a glimpse of WB vs Roger too.

After that there is all the Wano things with Kaido and Orochi and the Scabbards etc...

At least I hope Oda doesn't just tell us what we already knows and just skim through these events.
    What is Oden saying to WB?
    Become my son Whitebeard.

Mangaspoiler Emigrant RigaCrypto's Avatar

Is this a new thread for the same chapter from last week?
    Luffy vs Katakuri compilation : https://www.docdroid.net/qrFOY9p/luffyxkata.pdf

Luffy vs Cracker compilation : https://www.docdroid.net/Pk06JZL/luffy-vs-cracker.pdf

Luffy vs Doflamingo compilation : https://www.docdroid.net/VDl3Ctf/luffyxdoffy.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    What could Oda possibly add to make a stronger finale than Whitebeard arriving? (...) Can't wait to see where Oda takes Oden next, for the big finish for volume 95.
    Has to be on, or near, Roger's ship. What better note to end 95 than "stay tuned kids, in the next volume I may show what really happened on the Pirate King's final journey" ?

That aside I am still not warming up to Oden as a character, but at least the flashback keeps entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

I think you're lowballing this.

1 chapter for WB adventures and meeting Toki. Another for switching from WB to Roger. Another with Roger adventures and coming back to Wano. And then who knows how many for things going downhill.

I'd say most part of volume 96 will contain the flashback, so we'll have more like 6 to 8 chapters.
    Oda already spent three chapters on just introducing the retainers properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    Whitebeard's bisento is 1 of the 12 Supreme Grade blades, its not gonna get damaged even if he wasn't using haki and Oden was with his swords...

I tell you, Whitebeard and Oden are exploiting One Piece world through dying mothers left and right.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information