+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 897: ''Save O-Tama - Straw Hat Runs Through the Wasteland!''

Default 897: ''Save O-Tama - Straw Hat Runs Through the Wasteland!''

Everyone all properly hyped for Stampede now?

Title: ''Save O-Tama - Straw Hat Runs Through the Wasteland!''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 912
    Episode Director: Satoshi Ito (***1/2)
    Animation Directors: Hirotaka Ito (***1/2) and Eisaku Inoue (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 897: ''Save O-Tama - Straw Hat Runs Through the Wasteland!''

I'm still trying to get hyped for Film Z.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    I'm still trying to get hyped for Film Z.
    Film...Z? That's a bit old isnt it?

One Piece Episode 898 Preview (15s) + OP Stampede TV Spot 02

One Piece Episode 898 Preview (30s)

Luffy and Zoro's reunion in Wano - Episode 897

Last edited by thaihoa91; August 10th, 2019 at 06:30 PM.

Good episode.

Liked the direction from S Ito. Think how they restructured the reunion was fine when you consider that Wano in the anime has made the story a bit more Zoro focused to begin with, so although they did change around Luffy's angle on it, the stuff we got was still quite cool anyway.

Nothing particularly noteworthy animation wise, besides some neat effects animation, and some incredibly nice drawings throughout the episode.

Little worried about next episode considering the preview does look pretty janky, though I'm thinking we'll still get some cool stuff.

They left out the Sanji gag.

I'm pissed

That glomp :3

The animation in the next ep preview does look a tad lower in quality. Still good compared to what we used to get, but there's a few seconds of noticeable decline in there relative to the other Wano stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Film...Z? That's a bit old isnt it?
    Good, now work out the joke, you can do it.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post

I'm pissed
    Which one are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    Which one are you referring to?
    https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/912/page/15

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/912/page/15
    I think it was a good decision to exclude it, this way they keep Luffy's newfound maturity and thoughtfulness consistent.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    I think it was a good decision to exclude it, this way they keep Luffy's newfound maturity and thoughtfulness consistent.

I think it makes more sense story wise as well.

In the manga, aside from 909, we only really follow Luffy's perspective or immediate events related to Luffy in Wano. The anime already broke away from that in 892, by having Luffy's storyline function alongside Zoro's, and that was continued in 893 which served to establish Zoro in the story as a criminal. With that in mind, its less of a surprise seeing Zoro, since anime viewers already saw Zoro escape, something we didn't actually see happen in the manga and kind of left his fate ambiguous for a bit. With anime viewers already knowing Zoro has escaped, I think the staff prioritized the best way to make Zoro's story thread of being a criminal, intertwine with Luffy's most naturally.

I think a bit of a benefit from this, is that it also makes the narrative a little bit more Zoro centric(which is nice considering its his big return arc on the show, and just, you know, a swords people arc).

An overall solid episode.

Really enjoying Satoshi Ito's direction and storyboarding. He's one of my favorite episode directors who provided some really cool shots to look at. Though I'm not sure to which degree Nagamine corrected Ito's storyboard.

Eisaku Inoue, while still being a bit iffy around the corners here and there, is starting to channel his older work, which is nice to see. Even though the chief animation supervisor, Keiichi Ichikawa was pretty prominent over his half.

I also saw Midori Matsuda, the character designer, jumping in and providing corrections for Zoro shots. She just likes drawing him.

However I still have a slight preference for the latter half's animation supervisor, Hirotaka Ito. Very cool art and he was also the one who provided a really neat piece of animation. It's not the most spectacular thing out there but it gets the job done thanks to Satoshi Ito's board.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/84756

While I saw complaints about the lack of blood in this scene, I think it depends on the episode directors. Well I don't really know actually, because the OP anime has always been inconsistent when it comes to censorship. There are many constraints when it comes to censorship.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

What this has to do with Luffy's newfound maturity ? And actually it's quite the opposite in this episode, they made Luffy seems less mature than in the manga. In the manga, Luffy listen to Hitetsu and react at the name of kitetsu : https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/912/page/9

In the anime Luffy doesn't listen to what Hitetsu has to say.
    3DS FC : 0559-6804-1461

No it wasn't but to each their own

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Toei Animation is doing a much better job mimicking Oda’s expressions (Zoro drinking the sake was animated surprisingly well), which is great since One Piece is such an expressive series. But it still isn’t perfect (the expressiveness disappears if Toei isn’t copying one of Oda’s panels.

I’m curious though, shouldn’t there be an alarmingly large amount of data surrounding the Straw Hat Pirates’ expressions throughout the manga? From panels to cover spreads. Imagine if someone smart actually gathered and used that to make an anime even more consistent with the manga. It’s theoretically possible and honestly seems like a smarter way to work.

Only great animation from this week was a three second clip of Zoro drinking sake. Haha. There was also some good editing when he starts fighting.

Didn’t really care for this episode; the first half was a ton of nothing. Only the second half was decently paced, in part thanks to implied filler. The first half of the episode only covered 2-3 pages, or so it felt. I was hoping we’d get some of the Hawkins fight this episode...

I always find it odd when a manga has better art than an anime. I love that one shot in the manga where Luffy first sees the wasteland. But the anime, as with most contemporary film, is afraid to show wide shots, so we don’t get anything half as gorgeous here. Only closeups.

Who else misses the days of one full chapter per episode?
    Last edited by Zephray; August 11th, 2019 at 01:59 PM.

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

I'm pissed
    The more Sanji "gags" they leave out the better.

The art and animation continue to be pretty good for the most part; hopefully this streak lasts as long as possible. Too bad we're about to enter that stretch of content where the plot does nothing but meander nonstop.

Quote Originally Posted by gyuukarubi View Post
    Toei Animation is doing a much better job mimicking Oda’s expressions (Zoro drinking the sake was animated surprisingly well), which is great since One Piece is such an expressive series. But it still isn’t perfect (the expressiveness disappears if Toei isn’t copying one of Oda’s panels.

I’m curious though, shouldn’t there be an alarmingly large amount of data surrounding the Straw Hat Pirates’ expressions throughout the manga? From panels to cover spreads. Imagine if someone smart actually gathered and used that to make an anime even more consistent with the manga. It’s theoretically possible and honestly seems like a smarter way to work.
    And it will never be! Geez! Why are people looking for things to complain about!?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    The more Sanji "gags" they leave out the better.

The art and animation continue to be pretty good for the most part; hopefully this streak lasts as long as possible. Too bad we're about to enter that stretch of content where the plot does nothing but meander nonstop.
    Found the guy who prob thinks Sanji is a shit character because he doesn't treat women as equals.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information