+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 208

Thread: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

  1. #161

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KaidoBoby View Post
    Sorry for translating out of order

    Reader: Is it a coincidence that Kin’emon’s wife, Otsuru, and Tsuru from the Marine share the same name?

    Oda: Oh you’re right—. They have the same name—.
    However, do you guys know about “NANA”, that Shojo manga? In that manga, the two main female protagonists are both named “Nana”! They have the same name!! Even though it’s a famous manga!! So, it’s not really a bad thing, is it?
    So if one day they met each other, they conversation would go like this:
    “I’m also called Tsuru, Tsuru-chan.”

    Reader: Oda sensei, do you still read all the postcards and letters yourself?

    Oda: I read all of them! Of course I’ll! And I never dispose them over the course of 22 years(laugh). Because there’re way too many of them, I can’t store them in my house, so I borrowed a room, and all the letters that I’ve finished reading will be sent to that room.
    There’re so much of them that one day the floor might fall off!
    Thank you!! Those letters contain you guys’ feelings in them, so I won’t throw them away.
    Here, KaidoBoby already posted it two sites before. More interested in the stuff about the five elders, but since i didnt saw any translations, i am sure its just some laughing matter

  2. #162

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    I think it was about the Gorosei's fashion

  3. #163

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Since some of you are interested:

    Reader: The light that Imu’s going to extinguish...is it me...?
    Oda: It’s not, so please don’t worry about it and continue with your life. And I hope everyone else can also lead a happy life.

  4. #164

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Thanks for the translations as always. You are a gem to the community

  5. #165

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Thanks KaidoBoby

  6. #166

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    One Piece Volume 94 promotional poster.


  7. #167
    21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Ah yes, the most famous ninja weapon of them all: The gatling gun.

  8. #168

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Ah yes, the most famous ninja weapon of them all: The gatling gun.
    In actual Ninja History, they actually a had a deep connection to firearms and gunpowder, yes.

  9. #169

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    https://www.s-manga.net/reader/main.php?cid=9784088820545

    Digital preview, for anyone who wants to check out the title page, recap and table of contents. Love how Kawamatsu is mostly right there on the cover but has a pitch black square in the recap!

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Thanks for the well-articulated reply! Ok, I can agree with the angle that this character flaw of Sanji, as you call it, often endangers both his own as well as the crew's survival, and thus he needs to work and improve on it. I did indeed misunderstand where you are coming from and that your point of view was more because you felt Sanji's treatment of women needs to change because it didn't agree with your own moral values.

    As others have already said, I think the 'problem' is that Oda simply considers standing by your strong principles, even if they may be dumb, dangerous, antiquated, etc., ultimately to be a respectable character trait. Someone aptly compared it to Ace just not being able to walk away from someone badmouthing Whitebeard, even if it meant his death. I think another good comparison is Bellamy keeping on fighting for Doflamingo even after he has discovered that Doffy couldn't care less about him and tried to have him be assassinated by Dellinger. If I remember correctly, all of these instances were met with annoyance and anger towards those characters here on Arlong Park, so apparently this trait of standing by your principles even if they are stupid and dangerous isn't admired or respected around here in general. I would be pretty interested how Japanese fans regard these flaws.

    Anyway, I do think Sanji's other main character 'flaw', i.e. being too kind + his pride as a cook leading to him feeding enemies even if they will be a danger afterwards is very similar, yet I don't see anyone demanding that he'll abandon this flaw as well. You tried to handwave that by saying that, well, at least he can defend himself afterwards, but I don't think that is generally true. Him feeding Don Krieg and his crew back in the Baratie arc really would have screwed Sanji, Zeff and everybody else on the Baratie over if Luffy hadn't been there. Sanji is strong, but I think it was clear that back then, the cooks would have ultimately lost if it hadn't been for Luffy. So this flaw can absolutely have dire consequences for the people he cares about - yet should it be the right thing to do to just throw away your moral values if they might lead you into trouble? I just don't agree that this line of thinking is where character growth should lead us to - certainly not in One Piece. Sure we had Zoro throwing his pride away in order to help his Captain and crew, but I don't think this is inconsistent - Usopp similarly had to suck up his pride and apologize to Luffy Post-Enies Lobby, so Oda clearly does think that there's such a thing as misplaced, or maybe selfish pride. It should also be noted that pride and principles are not exactly the same. Zoro may be a prideful character, but it has never been established that bowing down to someone and asking for help goes against his strongest principles.

    Similarly, Usopp overcoming his cowardice is also an unfair comparison. Being a coward has nothing to do with Usopps principles, after all - it's simply a personal weakness. I also remember that one of the big messages that Sanji himself imparted on Usopp in Enies Lobby, after losing to Kalifa and then saving him from Jabura, was that nobody needs to be able to do everything as long as you have friends who can help you out. While Usopp is also constantly growing stronger, him still being weaker than most of the other Strawhats and thus unable to beat the really strong enemies is nothing he should feel bad about - his stronger friends can do that for him while he can accomplish other things to help them in turn (as in that case, being such a great sniper that he could save Robin in time from miles away). Why can't it be the same for Sanji? He's clearly an asset to the crew in many other ways - why can't he preserve his personal principles while his friends take over to do the one thing he can't?
    You make a strong point about the difference between a weakness and a principal, and I think that goes a long way to show why Oda hasn't tried to change Sanji despite having it undermine him again and again. I suppose then it actually does go back to the reasoning you originally accused me of: I just don't like it. I think moving past an outdated principal for a greater good and adjust convictions as life goes on will generally make for a more compelling character. The fairer comparison would be Zoro, who threw his pride aside twice, once on Thriller Bark and again for Mihawk because his captain and crew had become that much more important to him since East Blue. Both of those times made for memorable, compelling character moments, and because I want to like Sanji more than I do, it's always going to be a little disappointing he's not going to get to grow the same way. (Although, Oda maybe showed his cards too early for Zoro's character arc; the poor dude hasn't had a single scene that quite lives up to them since the timeskip...)

    What would be nice to see, in the absence of that specific kind of growth, is an opportunity for Sanji to apply what he learned from the Kalifa loss and actually defer to another member of the crew or retreat from a foe he knows he can't fight instead of standing his ground. I suppose you could say leaving Zoro and Tashigi to deal with Monet counts for that, but he still let himself get played hard by Violet and Pudding right after and got a free bail out by the narrative in both cases. What would be really cool is another Bentham-style fight where he has to use his wits to get around an opponent who tries to use his principals against him.

    Edit: forgot to address Ace and Bellamy. Ace worked as a character because he was intended from the start to be a tragic figure who succumbed to his personal failings. Terribly sad to see him go, but definitely not out of character. He didn't need to have a complex arc or spend a lot of time growing a changing because that wasn't his role in the story. It's not really fair to compare him in that position to a member of the main cast, who generally (but not always) are expected to display growth. Bellamy was a little frustrating to me though. I can understand a sad story about a character going back to an abusive relationship because it's all he knows, that's fine, but I had trouble keeping up with Bellamy's train of logic when he stood up to fight Luffy that final time. That was the point his story stopped working for me. I am happy to see him survive and go on to find some peace in the cover stories though. But again, he's filling a different role with different expectations to a member of the core cast, so the expectations for growth and end points are different.
    Last edited by Captain M; October 4th, 2019 at 08:49 PM.

  10. #170

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    In actual Ninja History, they actually a had a deep connection to firearms and gunpowder, yes.
    Said firearms being specifically matchlocks, not Gatling guns.

  11. #171

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    There are times that we should just let it go and accept our dislike for a character. I mean, many people just don't like Sanji, that's fair, better to just give up on trying to like him than being constantly frustrated that he is not changing in the way that you want him to be. That is because many of his "flaws" are not really flaws in the eyes of the author, so they are not going to be improved upon. Probably.

    Recently we saw a scene where Sanji said that he should learn to throw away his pride in order save people... and then he proceeded to use the raid suit to fight Page One. That might have been his growth after the events of WCI, but I doubt we will be seeing him kicking women going forward or breaking any other deeper vow of his character. In fact, what we could understand from that scene is that Sanji was coming into terms with the fact that using the raid suit didn't really make him part of Germa, because his principles and intentions were still the same regardless of the suit, so he shouldn't let petty peeves come in the way of being more useful to his friends. But that is very different from actually breaking his ethical code and doing what he believes is just wrong.

    In my case, I like Sanji and thus I accept his behavior, even if I don't personally relate to some of his most prominent traits. I do wish for more development in some aspects of his character, and less perv jokes in general, but I don't expect him to be this new better guy in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    What would be nice to see, in the absence of that specific kind of growth, is an opportunity for Sanji to apply what he learned from the Kalifa loss and actually defer to another member of the crew or retreat from a foe he knows he can't fight instead of standing his ground. I suppose you could say leaving Zoro and Tashigi to deal with Monet counts for that, but he still let himself get played hard by Violet and Pudding right after and got a free bail out by the narrative in both cases. What would be really cool is another Bentham-style fight where he has to use his wits to get around an opponent who tries to use his principals against him.
    As I see it, his manners were rewarded both in the case of Violet and then Pudding. It was his chivalrous nature that made them snap and betray their allegiance to the enemy. I don't see it as a free bail out of prison.

  12. #172

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    There are times that we should just let it go and accept our dislike for a character. I mean, many people just don't like Sanji, that's fair, better to just give up on trying to like him than being constantly frustrated that he is not changing in the way that you want him to be. That is because many of his "flaws" are not really flaws in the eyes of the author, so they are not going to be improved upon. Probably.

    Recently we saw a scene where Sanji said that he should learn to throw away his pride in order save people... and then he proceeded to use the raid suit to fight Page One. That might have been his growth after the events of WCI, but I doubt we will be seeing him kicking women going forward or breaking any other deeper vow of his character. In fact, what we could understand from that scene is that Sanji was coming into terms with the fact that using the raid suit didn't really make him part of Germa, because his principles and intentions were still the same regardless of the suit, so he shouldn't let petty peeves come in the way of being more useful to his friends. But that is very different from actually breaking his ethical code and doing what he believes is just wrong.

    In my case, I like Sanji and thus I accept his behavior, even if I don't personally relate to some of his most prominent traits. I do wish for more development in some aspects of his character, and less perv jokes in general, but I don't expect him to be this new better guy in the future.



    As I see it, his manners were rewarded both in the case of Violet and then Pudding. It was his chivalrous nature that made them snap and betray their allegiance to the enemy. I don't see it as a free bail out of prison.
    First sentence really nails it. The emphasis on debate in internet cultures often means searching for scenes and evidence to cite and trying to make an objective case when the real reason is "what Oda's doing with the character just doesn't vibe with me." I've enjoyed the talk and analysing why it does or doesn't work for different people, but it's definitely not going to change anyone's mind because it's a matter of taste. tbh all I intended was to express lighthearted disappointment about Oda giving the only scene were Sanji ambiguously a hard no, not tear down Oda or Sanji or anything

    The raid suit scene is one I totally forgot through this whole discussion. That was a real positive Sanji moment, I can't believe it slipped my mind. The proverbial ship has sailed on Sanji ever being my favourite character, but he's by far not the worst, and it's not the end of the world either way.

    (though I will argue one more point, Sanji being rewarded in the case of Violet and Pudding is exactly the problem! If it had been Kalifa or any of the Baroque Works women who tried to lure him in that way instead of going straight for the kill, he'd be dead - not counting Kalifa sitting him down for tea because for some reason she didn't really do much to capitalise on that advantage while she had it - but instead he lucks out and gets the two purehearted women who he can sway to the good side and steal a kiss from. I like stories where that kind of personal weakness leads to real consequences and subsequent growth, but that's just me and I've gone through it all in detail already lol)

  13. #173

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    (though I will argue one more point, Sanji being rewarded in the case of Violet and Pudding is exactly the problem! If it had been Kalifa or any of the Baroque Works women who tried to lure him in that way instead of going straight for the kill, he'd be dead - not counting Kalifa sitting him down for tea because for some reason she didn't really do much to capitalise on that advantage while she had it - but instead he lucks out and gets the two purehearted women who he can sway to the good side and steal a kiss from. I like stories where that kind of personal weakness leads to real consequences and subsequent growth, but that's just me and I've gone through it all in detail already lol)
    I think you are being too realistic here. This is a story, so the lesson is taught when the author rewards the character for following the "ethical" behavior, even if the example is not bulletproof and could realistically fail under different circumstances. Oda doesn't want to say that being chivalrous will punish Sanji, instead he gets something good out of it. Even when he got beaten up by Kalifa, someone else was there to do his job in his place (aka Nami).

    And it's not only Sanji that is the lucky guy. Luffy is the prime example of someone that should have died a million times because he is just too bold and reckless. Despite that, the story wants to teach you to pursue your dreams with unwavering determination and to live your life according to your will and principles (as long as you're good natured), so Luffy is always rewarded for acting so outrageously.

  14. #174

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Sanji sure is the most controversial OP character, huh. It's enough to throw the name out there and debates start.

  15. #175
    Discovered Stowaway Riddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post

    (though I will argue one more point, Sanji being rewarded in the case of Violet and Pudding is exactly the problem! If it had been Kalifa or any of the Baroque Works women who tried to lure him in that way instead of going straight for the kill, he'd be dead - not counting Kalifa sitting him down for tea because for some reason she didn't really do much to capitalise on that advantage while she had it - but instead he lucks out and gets the two purehearted women who he can sway to the good side and steal a kiss from. I like stories where that kind of personal weakness leads to real consequences and subsequent growth, but that's just me and I've gone through it all in detail already lol)
    I'll grant you Violet (actually thought Sanji was acting pretty obnoxious that time) but imo his relationship with Pudding really had nothing to do with antiquated values or flaws. At no point was he in his usual mellorine-mode with Pudding, he treated her respectfully but made it clear that leaving the crew to be with her was not an option. Only after he came to think that all hope was lost and that it would be in everybodys best interests if he agreed to Big Mom's deal did he start acting romantically towards Pudding, and even then, it was in a very subdued, normal way. I don't think it's fair to put that on Sanji's "women flaw". Also, on a completely different sidenote: I reeeeeaally wouldn't describe Pudding as pure-hearted. Sure it turned out that she wasn't all bad and Sanji brought out the good in her, but it doesn't change the fact that she deviously lied to all of the Strawhats and was more than willing to put a bullet through Sanji's head.

  16. #176

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    So are we going to get a full translation of the SBS or are we going to repetitively bicker about Sanji for another three pages?

  17. #177
    Stowaway w/ 18k posts Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    So are we going to get a full translation of the SBS or are we going to repetitively bicker about Sanji for another three pages?
    Every bickering about Sanji is sugar for my heart.

    Their hate is my recognition

  18. #178

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Sanji was just being a self-sacrificial copycat and truly intended on dying. Zoro had no intention of dying there, so he survived and kept his mouth shut about what happened. He’s valiant.
    This is hilarious, this has to be a troll.

  19. #179
    Stowaway w/ 18k posts Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This is hilarious, this has to be a troll.
    Yeah

    One of the most stupid things I read

  20. #180

    Default Re: Volume 94 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This is hilarious, this has to be a troll.
    It's not. I just think differently.

    That moment was Sanji exhibiting that self-sacrificial streak again for no apparent reason. Zoro said "take my head," but Zoro is the type to try and survive whereas Sanji simply lies down and takes it. Oda doesn't even give Sanji a "DON" in that panel. Zoro gets three by comparison: one during the dogeza, one during his declaration of Luffy's goal, and one at the end of the chapter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Yeah

    One of the most stupid things I read
    Look at this genius right here. Truly a great mind.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts