+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

Default 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

*adjusts glasses* You know, it should really be called the Land of 'Wa'...

Title: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"
    Chapters Covered: 910
    Episode Director: Toshinori Fukazawa (****)
    Animation Director: Kazuya Hisada (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

This will be Fukazawa's and Hisada's final episode as series director and character designer respectively. I salute their hard work over the years.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

Thank you, Fukazawa and Hisada, for contributing in lead roles in the anime for over a decade.

Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

Luffy arrive in Wano - Episode 891

One Piece Episode 892 Preview

This was a really fun episode.

That was better than any of the Reverie episodes.

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Loving those extra thick outlines we're seeing next episode. Somewhere along the way they lost that style and it's a damn shame.

Really good episode.

Finally, after all these rough episodes! The 2nd half was definitely the highlight of this week.

The art department smashed it this week.

Even though it's not on par with previous Fukazawa episodes, the direction was still very well done. Really liked the transitions with the octopus saying "Yoo" with the japanese theme ost kicking in.

I knew Yoshikazu Tomita would be on this week's episode but Katsumi Ishizuka was a pleasant surprise.

Anyways, huge thank you to Toshinori Fukazawa and Kazuya Hisada for their contribution to the One Piece anime. 5 years of being series director for Fukazawa and 10 years of character designing for Hisada, massive respect.

You will never be forgotten and this episode marks the end of an era.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Loving those extra thick outlines we're seeing next episode. Somewhere along the way they lost that style and it's a damn shame.
    Thats due to the new line filter that's gonna be applied starting from next week.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

They were really prevalent in Water 7/Enies Lobby, but I think we started losing them Thriller Bark.

Okay, so Toei considers next week's episode the official start of the arc, and next week is where we're getting the new opening and also the staff change and all that... but they are clearly easing us into it already with the debut of both the ukiyo-e-esque background art (THOSE WAVES! THOSE ARE SOME ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR WAVES, YO!) and the traditional Japanese instruments in the soundtrack that were mentioned in that recent interview.
    Fukuzawa and Hisada really knocked it out of the park here. Even though the show will obviously continue without a break, it seems they themselves basically treated it as a finale and gave it their A-game accordingly. Which is great, seeing how it's also a prelude to the new arc, so it also does a good job of building hype for what is to come.

...On the other hand, seeing how sloppy and awkwardly worded these subtitles are makes me really regret the fact that I'm not subbing the series myself anymore... I mean I guess they get the point across but augh they are just not very well written...

Damn that was the most visually pleasing One Piece episode I have ever watched.

Such a great way to end their tenure.

Now I'm excited to see what the new team will do.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

This was legitimately one of the best looking episodes in the entire show.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    They were really prevalent in Water 7/Enies Lobby, but I think we started losing them Thriller Bark.
    I’ve been rewatching Water 7 recently. They were never THAT thick.

These new folks are the people who worked on Heart of Gold, right? So we can use that as an example of what’s to come.

They went out with a bang for sure!

Wish Toei treated the Reverie with the same respect.
    K-F|Jango

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    Thats due to the new line filter that's gonna be applied starting from next week.
    I doubt that line-art will remain consistent. I fully expect to go back to wonky and lazy art/animation after about 10 or so episodes. But hey, if that is true then that's exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    Like somebody else here said, I don't recall the line-art EVER being that bold (not a bad thing) outside of maybe the movies. But old OP definitely had much bolder lines. I think it was somewhere near the end of Thriller Bark that we started losing them. By Enies Lobby for sure they were gone; that's when everyone started getting wobbly and jiggly.

We should get this animation quality every week, honestly—considering what a huge franchise OP is and how much money it brings in.

Recently watched JoJo; the first nine episode are beyond bad, story-wise, but hot damn do they have the boot directors, colorists, and artists. If a show like Jojo can get that treatment...

I usually don’t like thick lines; they feel dated to me. But I think it’ll fit for the style of this arc in particular and I’m welcoming the change after so long.
    Last edited by Zephray; June 30th, 2019 at 11:20 AM.

Oh I thought this was the new start lol. This was the last episode? They were able to put out this quality every week and were legit just that cheap and lazy?

I'm loving the thick lines, it's fitting for One Piece. Amazing what a difference they make, hope they keep it up.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

The last third of the episode was something special, especially the waterfall climb which was quite the action sequence. The music too! Hopefully it is the start of great things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    *adjusts glasses* You know, it should really be called the Land of 'Wa'...
    Well technically "Land of Wano" should be "Wano no Kuni" given how Wano is written...

Spoiler:

I doubt that line-art will remain consistent. I fully expect to go back to wonky and lazy art/animation after about 10 or so episodes. But hey, if that is true then that's exciting.

Like somebody else here said, I don't recall the line-art EVER being that bold (not a bad thing) outside of maybe the movies. But old OP definitely had much bolder lines. I think it was somewhere near the end of Thriller Bark that we started losing them. By Enies Lobby for sure they were gone; that's when everyone started getting wobbly and jiggly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    This was legitimately one of the best looking episodes in the entire show.

I’ve been rewatching Water 7 recently. They were never THAT thick.

These new folks are the people who worked on Heart of Gold, right? So we can use that as an example of what’s to come.

Your right they weren't bolder per se, but the line art in Water 7 and Enies Lobby certainly was crisper, and that probably has something to do with it being close to pure black values.

As for the current line art, I would be very confused if they suddenly just went back. Its not like the line art is all that tedious to add on to my understanding, from what I've heard, its just an after effects plug in that's put on top of the picture to give variation to the line art. DBS, a show that had a far more tedious schedule than One Piece, after it was implemented, had the line filter and post processing consistently in every episode of their last arc, despite some episodes being obviously rushed.

I don't really see how thick line art is dated, its an art style, doesn't necessarily make any less good or viable. For example, the looser style of animators in the 90's could also be considered dated, but I don't think that's overtly a bad thing if it were to show up today as long as those sorts of styles were executed well. Hell, apparently Toei's latest Sailor Moon series(that I think was announced roughly today) is making big call backs to the 90's aesthetic of the show.

As for the heart of Gold thing, while that true, I think Nagamine will be using technologies that were only developed after that, so look more at shows like DBS Broly or just the tournament of power arc in DBS(though I think those arcs will not match the colourfulness of Wano given what we've seen so far).

Thicker lines were more popular for a lot of the 80-90s series, if memory serves. I don’t generally see lines so thick as the promo for the next episode these days.

Thicker lines were more popular for a lot of the 80-90s series, if memory serves. I don’t generally see lines so thick as the promo for the next episode these days.
    I mean,depends on the animator and series really. Toei's Tiger Mask W specifically used the line filter to try and recreate the authentic feel of the original 70's show, however since then, its been modified and toned down a bit just to give shows with stale line art some interesting variation.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information