+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

  1. #21

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Damn, what an amazing looking episode. If this is a precursor to what Wano will look like, we might be getting the best animated arc of One Piece.

    Some of those shots look magnificent, and the animated water looked great.

  2. #22

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    I doubt that line-art will remain consistent. I fully expect to go back to wonky and lazy art/animation after about 10 or so episodes. But hey, if that is true then that's exciting.
    Uhmm...it's a line filter. They're not gonna update the photography department and impliment a line filter just to get rid of it the episode after. And speaking of wonky and "lazy" art/animation, it's a weekly series airing continuously with almost no breaks at all therefore there are obviously gonna be shakier episodes here and there. And btw, I don't think inconsistency is gonna be an enormous issue anymore (it already hasn't reallly since the start of the WCI arc) because I can assure you that the schedule has quite improved for the Wano arc.

    Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Oh I thought this was the new start lol. This was the last episode? They were able to put out this quality every week and were legit just that cheap and lazy?
    God, I thought we were over this "budget" and "lazy" talk.

    Here's the thing, the Reverie arc has been sacrificed in order to allow a healthier schedule for the Wano arc. Since it was a dialogue heavy arc it was the perfect opportunity. If you'd wanted an excellent Reverie adaptation so bad, then the Wano arc would've probably become Dressrosa 2.0 in the anime, considering its potential length. Idk about you but I much rather choose the former option, we don't want another Dressrosa schedule-wise, no thanks.

    Btw, calling animators out of all the people lazy is quite a yikes thing to do.

    Shows how dead the anime section on this forum is.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; July 1st, 2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

  3. #23

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    I knew they were going to ruin the subtlety in the build up of the octopus scene...

    Pet peeves of mine aside, this was a great episode. Everything starting from the point the carps appeared was done amazingly and it just nailed the right tone for the arc introduction (the octopus introducing every development with a yooo~ was a great idea).

    -- Manga spoilers--
    Spoiler:
    I was annoyed with all the Ryu Ryu fruit users on Wano, but it is kinda ironic when you think we are at the top of the waterfall climbed by the carps. Suddenly it feels "thematically" right for the top to be filled with "dragons".

    Goodbye, Carrot! It was good having you as one of the forefront characters. At least she left on a high note, she was at her best on this episode, paired with the one when she was revealed to be at the Sunny.

    Also, I hadn't noticed that not only the BMP had the same idea as the SH to climb the waterfall using the carps, but also both crews remained to stay perfectly safe while their captains alone were washed away

  4. #24

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    2019 and even with all the info we have about the staff loving the series, putting their blood, sweat and tears into it and working around the clock to get stuff done for the millions of people that watch it worldwide - we're still calling the staff and animation "lazy" because people just can't seem to say something positive about the anime and want to have this very negative outlook on it even when they like it. Absolute state of this forum, yikes.

    And yes, it's a line filter, the lines will continue to look like that from here on out in the anime - there are quite a few interviews with the new series director, Tatsuya Nagamine, where he states that they updated the photography team and the new line filter is part of that.
    Last edited by Skippy; July 1st, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

    Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

  5. #25

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Criticism is fine, and there are definitely still plenty of things to criticize the anime about, but simply writing the animators off as "lazy" in this day and age when we know so much more about the process and the industry in general and One Piece in particular than we used to with the info not being difficult to find is laziness in and of itself. And that's all I'll say on the matter for now.

    On a brighter note, this was an excellent send-off to Fukazawa's and Hisada's respective executive tenures. I often feel that One Piece's coloring and art direction (backgrounds and such) is often overlooked or underrated, and despite the overall drab color palette of this episode they really shined in the second half of the episode with the waterfall and koi (speaking of, Jesus Christ at how Crunchyroll decided to "translate" Carrot's "Sukoi! Sukoi!" pun). That establishing shot of the waterfall with the separate blue and white streaks was really gorgeous and popped out well against the briny colors everywhere else. That whole sequence was really fun especially with the Japanese drumbeat thrown in there. I'm really looking forward to what Kohei Tanaka has in store for us next week and beyond. Also I was pretty impressed with the fact that Tomita actually drew the Sunny by hand throughout most of his section of the waterfall ascent than leaving the CG model for the whole thing. Couldn't've been easy to draw.

    Yonkou seemed to imply that Fukazawa was going to remain with the show as a regular director which would be cool if so, though I don't think there's precedent for it. After being with the show since literally Day 1 I wonder if Hisada's going to move on to greener pastures or if he's going to take the Ishizuka route of shedding executive duties and rededicating himself exclusively as a key animator, taking off his training weights and going ham in process. I think we've already seen glimpses of that future during Whole Cake Island with the Film Z homage during episode 850 and with Carrot's Sulong transformation.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  6. #26

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    I think what is meant by “lazy” is that they could do better, not that the animators (who work 60+ hours a week) are actually lazy. The composition of the shots, the direction, and some of the art can be validly called “lazy,” which isn’t to be confused with calling the animators “lazy.” There are probably totally valid reasons for lazy direction, composition, and art (see: time crunch). That said, some animators are better at producing quality episodes on a time crunch than others.

  7. #27

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    I think what is meant by “lazy” is that they could do better, not that the animators (who work 60+ hours a week) are actually lazy. The composition of the shots, the direction, and some of the art can be validly called “lazy,” which isn’t to be confused with calling the animators “lazy.” There are probably totally valid reasons for lazy direction, composition, and art (see: time crunch). That said, some animators are better at producing quality episodes on a time crunch than others.
    But, that's, not lazy? Just call it bad. If you think its bad, just say its bad. Its just more accurate, and less diminutive and doesn't make you sound ignorant on the topic.

  8. #28
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post
    Uhmm...it's a line filter. They're not gonna update the photography department and impliment a line filter just to get rid of it the episode after. And speaking of wonky and "lazy" art/animation, it's a weekly series airing continuously with almost no breaks at all therefore there are obviously gonna be shakier episodes here and there. And btw, I don't think inconsistency is gonna be an enormous issue anymore (it already hasn't reallly since the start of the WCI arc) because I can assure you that the schedule has quite improved for the Wano arc.



    God, I thought we were over this "budget" and "lazy" talk.

    Here's the thing, the Reverie arc has been sacrificed in order to allow a healthier schedule for the Wano arc. Since it was a dialogue heavy arc it was the perfect opportunity. If you'd wanted an excellent Reverie adaptation so bad, then the Wano arc would've probably become Dressrosa 2.0 in the anime, considering its potential length. Idk about you but I much rather choose the former option, we don't want another Dressrosa schedule-wise, no thanks.

    Btw, calling animators out of all the people lazy is quite a yikes thing to do.

    Shows how dead the anime section on this forum is.
    lol what is this, how the crap is expanding a 5 or so chapter arc to double the length gonna save an arc that's bound to be well over 100 chapters/episodes? It's not. If they wanted to save it they had the perfect timing to go into filler arcs for a while to provide an actual buffer to allow better pacing of Wano. It was always going to be Dressrosa 2.0. Hopefully the new lead will keep things consistently better, but all we have to go on so far is a spiffy preview for the first episode which is obviously not going to be representative of what to expect on an average week. Cutting corners is definitely lazy, and if it needs to constantly be done to meet deadlines then that's indicative of deeper underlining issues with the team that brings down the overall quality of the product. That's how any job works.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

  9. #29

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    BTW, we are going into a 2 episodes stampede arc 894 and 895...

    Also, no, calling the staff lazy is not savvy, ever.

    If you think they've done a bad job, or don't like the use of something, just call it bad. Its not hard, and is less inflammatory.

  10. #30

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    "Dressrosa 2.0" isn't referring to the pacing woes that aren't ever truly going away, but having a poor schedule which led to a lot of mediocre or worse episodes in other aspects, like animation or characters looking consistent. The people working hard on the anime are doing their best to ensure that never happens again.

    The Reverie arc being "sacrificed" allows them to better keep that consistency and have the Wano arc avoid the mess that was the Dressrosa adaptation. WCI already improved massively in this regard compared to Dressrosa, with some of the best episodes in the series happening late in the arc. I expect Wano to improve on that even further.

  11. #31

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    lol what is this, how the crap is expanding a 5 or so chapter arc to double the length gonna save an arc that's bound to be well over 100 chapters/episodes? It's not. If they wanted to save it they had the perfect timing to go into filler arcs for a while to provide an actual buffer to allow better pacing of Wano. It was always going to be Dressrosa 2.0. Hopefully the new lead will keep things consistently better, but all we have to go on so far is a spiffy preview for the first episode which is obviously not going to be representative of what to expect on an average week. Cutting corners is definitely lazy, and if it needs to constantly be done to meet deadlines then that's indicative of deeper underlining issues with the team that brings down the overall quality of the product. That's how any job works.
    Unironically thinking that a filler arc will solve any problem is beyond idiotic, considering that filler arcs actually require more planning and such which should and thankfully will be used for Wano instead of a filler arc that will be skipped by half the audience. I also find it very funny that someone expected a long filler arc in the 20th anniversary and got mad because it didn't happen. Filler arcs also run into the problem that they don't promote anything, Shueisha and such want to the anime to promote their product, the manga, which is optimized by keeping the anime away from filler, also, extending arcs means minor characters that otherwise don't get much screentime will have more time to get the audience to like them and buy their merchandise. Also, flashbacks weren't just done out of absolute necessity, they want bring new audiences up to speed, as well as relief the schedule, thus it's a win-win for the higher-ups.
    By the way, it really baffles me how many people complain that Oda skips so much stuff, and claim that they want to see more character interactions, yet some individuals here act so offended when the anime fills in the gaps.
    Also, what cutting corners are you talking about? Are you watching the same series that I do?
    Last but not least, calling something you don't understand lazy is quite lazy, try something better.

  12. #32

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    You guys get so worked up. It’s a word, and it’s being used to describe the art and animation, not the animators.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Lazy also isn’t a terrible word for it. Imagine you’ve got two shots from the same director/artist/animator team. One of them is well-composed and the characters are on model. The other is a mess: off-model characters and rough art/composition. The first shot was clearly more considered and worked on. The second one seems slapped together, given less a priority. But because of the first shot, you know what the artist team is capable of if they take more time and considers more thoroughly what they’re animating/drawing. The second shot, by comparison, is lazy in the sense that it had less time and thought put into it. This has a tendency of happening in OP, I don’t think many people would disagree. (Another great example is looking at the most recent Koi fish episode and seeing what the team is capable of but clearly hasn’t been putting out the past few years, for the most part).

    That said, we should also be sympathetic. There’s a reason for the lazy art: the animators/artists are overworked (not lazy) and they’re on a time crunch, so they don’t have the time or resources to make every shot considered and gorgeous.

    Personally, I blame Toei for this. They could easily hire more artists and animators so that the current ones aren’t so overworked and each person has more time to thoroughly consider and work on their assigned shots. I really think more people working on this show would increase the production quality, and I’m always hopeful with new arcs that they’ve expanded their team a little bit.
    Last edited by Zephray; July 3rd, 2019 at 02:08 PM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    But like, the art and animation still isn't "lazy" as a whole, y'all are generalizing pretty bad and this happens all the time. Get your mind out of 2006, kthx

    And for the record, One Piece's production is actually fairly healthy and Toei treats their employees right, especially recently. All hope is lost for this place having any meaningful discussion when you all have decided to remain ignorant.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Another great example is looking at the most recent Koi fish episode and seeing what the team is capable of but clearly hasn’t been putting out the past few years, for the most part
    Not every episode can be produced that way, it's a weekly series dude

  14. #34

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCaptainUsopp View Post
    But like, the art and animation still isn't "lazy" as a whole, y'all are generalizing pretty bad and this happens all the time. Get your mind out of 2006, kthx

    And for the record, One Piece's production is actually fairly healthy and Toei treats their employees right, especially recently. All hope is lost for this place having any meaningful discussion when you all have decided to remain ignorant.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---



    Not every episode can be produced that way, it's a weekly series dude
    Why not? More staff divides the work so that this effort can be put in every episode. This is a staffing problem.

  15. #35

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    You guys get so worked up. It’s a word, and it’s being used to describe the art and animation, not the animators.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Lazy also isn’t a terrible word for it. Imagine you’ve got two shots from the same director/artist/animator team. One of them is well-composed and the characters are on model. The other is a mess: off-model characters and rough art/composition. The first shot was clearly more considered and worked on. The second one seems slapped together, given less a priority. But because of the first shot, you know what the artist team is capable of if they take more time and considers more thoroughly what they’re animating/drawing. The second shot, by comparison, is lazy in the sense that it had less time and thought put into it. This has a tendency of happening in OP, I don’t think many people would disagree. (Another great example is looking at the most recent Koi fish episode and seeing what the team is capable of but clearly hasn’t been putting out the past few years, for the most part).

    That said, we should also be sympathetic. There’s a reason for the lazy art: the animators/artists are overworked (not lazy) and they’re on a time crunch, so they don’t have the time or resources to make every shot considered and gorgeous.

    Personally, I blame Toei for this. They could easily hire more artists and animators so that the current ones aren’t so overworked and each person has more time to thoroughly consider and work on their assigned shots. I really think more people working on this show would increase the production quality, and I’m always hopeful with new arcs that they’ve expanded their team a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Why not? More staff divides the work so that this effort can be put in every episode. This is a staffing problem.
    As Tu's friend, what I can say is that many animators in the industry don't want to draw One Piece because of the character being too complicated to draw.
    For example, Tu used to ask his friends to help him with the 2nd animation of Kataruki, but his friends rejected him once they saw Katakuri's design. And not only Tu's friends of course.

    These years Oda likes to design complicated characters, but this caused the fact that many animators don't want to attend the show. This is the reality.

    What's more, lazy is never a good word no matter what the meaning of the word is. Everyday Tu works until 2 a.m. or even later literally from Monday to Sunday, and he also told me that the team has many hard working staff. The word "lazy" is insult to these hard working staff. Seriously.
    Last edited by Tomorrow_D; July 4th, 2019 at 01:44 AM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    lol what is this, how the crap is expanding a 5 or so chapter arc to double the length gonna save an arc that's bound to be well over 100 chapters/episodes? It's not. If they wanted to save it they had the perfect timing to go into filler arcs for a while to provide an actual buffer to allow better pacing of Wano. It was always going to be Dressrosa 2.0. Hopefully the new lead will keep things consistently better, but all we have to go on so far is a spiffy preview for the first episode which is obviously not going to be representative of what to expect on an average week. Cutting corners is definitely lazy, and if it needs to constantly be done to meet deadlines then that's indicative of deeper underlining issues with the team that brings down the overall quality of the product. That's how any job works.
    My guy, have you ever heard about scheduling? By extending and allocating as little staff as possible on the heavy dialogue, almost action-less reverie arc it allowed the production team to concentrate most of their ressources on the Wano Kuni arc episodes, thus allowing to already almost complete many episodes in advance (just take a look at the very short . Considering how the OP anime puts out episodes continuously with almost no breaks, this improved the schedule quite significantly on the long run if you ask me. Time has a very big impact on how the visual quality of an episode turns out, even 1 additional week of time can make a big difference. That's how important time is when it comes to the quality of the art and animation, contrary to popular belief, ahem, budget.

    You say that a full on long filler arc would fix everything, that's where you're mistaken. A long filler arc would necessitate way more ressources than doing the former option. A filler, especially a long one, would need a lot of planning since you practically have to invent a new plot. You would need writers, production managers, directors, animation supervisors and ofc animators. All of these people would have less time to allocate to the Wano arc, thus resulting in a less visually pleasant anime arc. The reveire arc, being canon material (and we know that canon chapters get automatically adapted) that's very dialogue heavy, meaning little staff ressources can be used to adapt such chapters, it was the perfect opportunity for the production staff. And no matter how long the filler is, if they adapt more chapters per episode, it's gonna sooner or later catch up again and we'll be at the same place again.

    I wasn't talking about pacing, if you payed more attention to what I said, but hey let's adress this too. I agree, the OP anime's major issue is the pacing, even for me who's an adamant advocate of the anime. However, since the WCI arc there have been efforts that have been made to improve it, mainly by fleshing out elements that Oda hasn't expanded in the manga. But still, the pacing was not ideal during WCI, depending on the chapter that's been adapted, but there have been improvements overall. Great direction is also a great way to improve the pacing within an episode and there ahve been many well directed episodes in WCI, even episodes that only covered very few pages of a chapter (for example episode 825). But guess what, the staff is gonna try to fix the pacing even more starting from the Wano arc.

    In a recent interview, the new series director Tatsuya Nagamine told us that Eiichiro Oda gave him plenty of additionnal notes when it comes to the Wano arc and that he aims to flesh out the elements in the manga.

    Oh and ofc this preview isn't 100% representative of every episode that's to come later down the road. There's gonna be variations in terms of art and animation, since it's a weekly airing series. But if you think that the variations are gonna be as bad as in Dressrosa, that's just not gonna happen. It hasn't been the case since the WCI arc and everything is being done for it to not be the case for the Wano arc. We're not in Dressrosa anymore and it seems like ppl are still stuck with that mindset.

    Last but not least, cutting corners in this context is definitely not lazy, since again, it's a weekly series and a weekly series brings in a lot of constraints, therefore compromises have to be made in order to ensure as much quality as possible to the stuff that matters more, in this case Wano. I can't stress this enough, context matters a lot. Why making compromises and sacrifices? Because otherwise ensuring any kind of quality to the more important stuff is virtually not feasible within this weekly format of an anime adaptation. What I'm trying to tell you with all of this is that your criticism comes from the wrong place. What's to blame is the weekly format of adaptation and the way it's aired continuously with almost no breaks and sadly it's never gonna change. And the blame for goes on the shareholders and CEO's who keep this format going, instead of putting all the blame on the animators and staff who have very little control over this situation.

    Also, a seasonal format isn't a 100% guarantee of quality, take a look at how OPM S2 is turning out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    You guys get so worked up. It’s a word, and it’s being used to describe the art and animation, not the animators.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Lazy also isn’t a terrible word for it. Imagine you’ve got two shots from the same director/artist/animator team. One of them is well-composed and the characters are on model. The other is a mess: off-model characters and rough art/composition. The first shot was clearly more considered and worked on. The second one seems slapped together, given less a priority. But because of the first shot, you know what the artist team is capable of if they take more time and considers more thoroughly what they’re animating/drawing. The second shot, by comparison, is lazy in the sense that it had less time and thought put into it. This has a tendency of happening in OP, I don’t think many people would disagree. (Another great example is looking at the most recent Koi fish episode and seeing what the team is capable of but clearly hasn’t been putting out the past few years, for the most part).

    That said, we should also be sympathetic. There’s a reason for the lazy art: the animators/artists are overworked (not lazy) and they’re on a time crunch, so they don’t have the time or resources to make every shot considered and gorgeous.

    Personally, I blame Toei for this. They could easily hire more artists and animators so that the current ones aren’t so overworked and each person has more time to thoroughly consider and work on their assigned shots. I really think more people working on this show would increase the production quality, and I’m always hopeful with new arcs that they’ve expanded their team a little bit.
    The issue with calling the art "lazy" is that it sounds more like it turned out like this due to unwillingness, rather than inabillity. In this scenario it's 100% the latter that's the case. Because of this I'd much rather call it "rushed" and "unfinished". That's a more appropriate way to call it considering the context and it won't go under an animator's skin like the term "lazy".

    And why doesn't Toei hire more animators/staff? Because animators and staff are definitely not an infinite ressource, they don't grow on a tree. And just like Tomorrow said, animators also has to be willing to tacle a certain series and considering how animation unfriendly Oda's characters usually are, it's hard to find someone who agrees. In general, it has become harder to find talented animators nowadays in Japan, considering how stressful and taxing of a job it has become. However, I can tell you that the OP anime team is definitely not understaffed, there are many great directors and animators working on the series.

    It's not only like "Naotoshi Shida and the rest is bad", like too many people sadly think.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; July 4th, 2019 at 10:40 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

  17. #37

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"



    BRAVO! Someone REALLY had to say all that!

  18. #38

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by MythicalDragon View Post

    The issue with calling the art "lazy" is that it sounds more like it turned out like this due to unwillingness, rather than inabillity. In this scenario it's 100% the latter that's the case. Because of this I'd much rather call it "rushed" and "unfinished". That's a more appropriate way to call it considering the context and it won't go under an animator's skin like the term "lazy".

    And why doesn't Toei hire more animators/staff? Because animators and staff are definitely not an infinite ressource, they don't grow on a tree. And just like Tomorrow said, animators also has to be willing to tacle a certain series and considering how animation unfriendly Oda's characters usually are, it's hard to find someone who agrees. In general, it has become harder to find talented animators nowadays in Japan, considering how stressful and taxing of a job it has become. However, I can tell you that the OP anime team is definitely not understaffed, there are many great directors and animators working on the series.

    It's not only like "Naotoshi Shida and the rest is bad", like too many people sadly think.
    Fair enough about the connotations of "lazy art" and that it implies the creators are also lazy. You're right that there are better words to describe it. Removed from the anger of this forum, I don't see it as a poor word used to describe art that doesn't have a lot of time sunk into it. And I still think people are getting too (sensitive to/)incensed by the word choice.

    I disagree that there aren't enough animators or that they just can't find people to work on the biggest property in Japan because "the character designs are somewhat more complicated." I don't buy that. Also, if they're having a hard time getting talent, I'm sure they can afford to up the salaries, which will attract more talent. Again, it's the biggest show in Japan, and the show often feels like it's on a tighter budget than it need be.

    I also agree with whoever said WCI was a step up from recent arcs--both in terms of animation and direction. So that's good, but it could still be much better, imo.

    It also might not be understaffed for the average anime season (12-24 episodes), but judging by the quality of the show, I'm betting it's understaffed for a 52 episode per year series. Their staff should be nearly twice the size.
    Last edited by Zephray; July 4th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray
    I disagree that there aren't enough animators or that they just can't find people to work on the biggest property in Japan because "the character designs are somewhat more complicated." I don't buy that. Also, if they're having a hard time getting talent, I'm sure they can afford to up the salaries, which will attract more talent. Again, it's the biggest show in Japan, and the show often feels like it's on a tighter budget than it need be.
    1) That's not something you can agree or disagree with. The lack of animators in the industry, the bad pay & the awful working conditions are factual long documented issues. 2) Popularity isn't a factor in this equation & "budget" is not an issue. As someone mentioned above, it's asinine that you all have information at your fingertips yet you choose to remain ignorant. Seriously, go educate yourself & try not to speak so confidently about things you clearly know little to nothing about in the future.

  20. #40

    Default Re: 891: "Climb the Falls! The Great Journey Through the Land of Wano's Sea!"

    ^^^^^^^^

    The idea that people are still so ignorant despite the rise of sakuga fans who are willing to go out there and learn and educate people on the anime is ridiculous. One Piece is a weekly, long-running anime and is extremely good for one - stop acting like Toei doesnt give a damn and are cheaping out, when people have consistently told you all that they do care. The past 3 years of the anime has been an upswing for it, because the people who make it love the series and try their absolute best to make it what it is. There is no budget being dumped elsewhere or into certain episodes, there's no being lazy with the animation (because yes, even solo KAs and people who do key animation in a fast manner are certainly not lazy), and there's not some weird secret disdain that Toei has for One Piece - it's made as a labor of love and you all have some crazy unrealistic expectations.

    You certainly dont have to like every episode, but stop pretending that you know how One Piece is produced when you act like sacrificing Reverie isn't a calculated move on the staff's part and when you expect even the smallest of chapters to have movie like quality. The tools for learning about the production and seeing it for what it is are out there, it's your choice if you want to remain ignorant or not. Also, for the love of god, rewatch older One Piece - because you'll see that the animation was never as consistent back then as it is now.
    Last edited by TheGreatCaptainUsopp; July 4th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts