+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1802

Thread: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Default Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

I feel like a broken record stating this but the dexit is objectively inconsequential as of now because it only affects which pokémon you can transfer using Home, not which pokémon can be found in the game, and Home will only be available next year. If your favorite is not in the regional dex, you wouldn't be able to use it anyway until Home was out even if the dexit didn't happened (just like with every past game that had non-regional dex pokémon locked until the transfer system was available).

Dexit will be an actual matter starting 2020, but so far saying it objectively affected your playthrough simply isn't true (you can say, however, it has some subjective impacts since it hurts the overall appeal of the game).
    Last edited by .access timeco.; November 25th, 2019 at 10:36 AM.

Sun and moon were the exception rather than the rule, with the bank being available very early in its life, maybe even day one but I think that the bank required an update that came a while later.

Gen 1 to 2 was annoyingly slow, but from the start
    2 to 3 impossible
    3 to 4 and 4 to 5 I wouldn’t know, but it seemed to involve a bow and arrow mini game?
    5 to 6 was the transfer that wasn’t available until December of that year for selected players, and globally later.

The only opportunity to chill with the mon rotation is that the “wild”/legacy format gets supported with home, or home having something to be more than just storage for the non updated mons. As the bank Just had gift mon with rare HA, and a list format instead of the box format if desired, and was kinda shitty to handle anyways, I don’t expect too much about it.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Those games always had expanded dexes after the regional dex. You couldn't catch everything, but they always found a way to open up how many and what pokemon you could catch when the game was over. I think doing so in Sword and Shield would be great for the long term fun of the games.
    Last edited by andre; November 25th, 2019 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    3 to 4 and 4 to 5 I wouldn’t know, but it seemed to involve a bow and arrow mini game?

3 to 4 wasn't too bad. The pal park had a few different terrains, and you'd simply just recatch 6 pokemon at a time you'd import from the GBA game.

4 to 5 was super annoying because it added the dumb arrow minigame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Those games always had expanded dexes after the regional dex. You couldn't catch everything, but they always found a way to open up how many and what pokemon you could catch when the game was over. I think doing so in Sword and Shield would be great for the long time fun of the games.
    So you're complaining that none of the massive 400-mon regional Dex is locked to the post-game? Or is 400 just a lacking number? Kinda sounds silly when you really think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    So you're complaining that none of the massive 400-mon regional Dex is locked to the post-game? Or is 400 just a lacking number? Kinda sounds silly when you really think about it.
    I don't think it sounds silly at all. In the old games, it generally happened by opening up areas that we either couldn't reach before, or didn't know existed, ie: The Sevii islands, Mirage Islands, Cerulean Cave, half of Poni Island, Kanto (and Mt. Silver), Stark Mountain, Challenger Cave, and a quarter of the extremely large content in gen 5. The other thing it did in other gens was made re-exploring places you've already visited a worthwhile endeavor. So there's precedent for my request and it gave gens 1-7 a breadth of content.
    Last edited by andre; November 25th, 2019 at 06:07 PM.

It is disappointing that Sword/Shield have no post-game areas to explore whatsoever. I get not liking having Pokemon locked to the post-game, but really, it gives incentive to play after finishing the story. The only thing these games have going for them in that regard is that by the time of finishing the story you likely still have some Pokemon left that you haven't seen in the Wild Area, since there are so many different conditions... But really, that's just not enough. IMO.

Just for fun...

I wonder if Pokemon Company has data on how many people play Pokemon games past the story.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other, personally. While it was cool in Gen 5 to explore half the continent after the game with actual strong mons and trainers, I also never do the post-game when I replay those games. Likewise, I recall being extremely uninterested in the post-game of leaf green while instead spending countless hours on Ruby simply messing around with the pokedex.
    I do however think it's not something that affects this game. Even after completing the story I don't feel a particular lack of things to do. If anything, multiple times I tell myself I want to accomplish one thing for the day and then realize several hours just melted away from doing raid after raid with random friends from other countries who I hadn't played with for months.

To me this is like Three Houses: lacking in certain aspects that made previous games in the series lovable, but so good at the core aspect of what makes this franchise fun that I am ok with it lacking those things because of all the fun I'm having.

I pretty much only play post-game missions and complete the Pokedex. Battle Tower is and always has been terrible, IMO.

Anyway, four gyms and four to go. And wow, they pretty much phoned it in with the badges this time around. Grass Badge, Water Badge, Fire Badge, etc.

Oh yeah, and I'm an idiot. A while back I saw that fanart of Galarian Golurk and, at some point, I guess I forgot it was fanart and totally thought I could get a Galarian Golurk after evolving Golette.

I like raiding more than hunting legendaries, even if it could stand to raise the difficulty of the encounter a tad, and increase the capture ratio or give you an option to “chase” them once if they escape.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I never stick around for long after I beat the game. Completing the dex would give me the motivation to keep playing, but since I have to pay extra for online services this time - and I gave up on that - it would be impossible anyways so I don't feel like even finishing collecting what is in the game.

And since I know I won't play for too long anyway, I didn't felt any guilt in using the date exploit to get the two Gigantamax (Kingler and Orbeetle) I wanted.

The second half of the game is lazy as fuck.
    There's seriously no way to defend the laziness and lack of effort put into this game.
    Look I like Pokemon as much as the next guy but this? This release was an insult if you've been following the series.
    Power to the people who enjoyed the online and raid even though it's the same thing but flashier!! and mindless grinding through a shit online system.

But for an IP like Pokemon , no wait cut that, even without the Pokemon name?
    In this time and age this was a terribly designed cutting corners game at that staggering price.
    When you have Dragon quest, fire emblem, the likes of Zelda, even fucking digimon improving on their previous versions, this game was designed in a retarded way.
    It is so lazy.
    The plot is written by a grade school kid.
    The graphics is sloppy(so many animations were skipped, low res, reskinned, repasted).
    The new mechanics were rightfully hated to oblivion and it is the epitome of style over substance.
    Why does the music exist if it's so underwhelming.
    Half the towns have so much potential but exist as pointlessly glorified 3d models.
    Fucking can't even put in effort to make a decent post game or elite 4.
    I don't know why people say this new batch of Pokemon is well designed, it's not.
    Fix the damn online system.

The wild area, breeding and raid candies are good for online.
    I have nothing much to object to that because it encourages meta.
    Except that the scene is going to be diluted and a cesspool for modded mons or perfect IVs abuse team where there's literally no point.
    So yeah I'll give the game props for supporting the meta.

But Christ is this the worst fucking single player campaign ever.

"B-but online raids and its easier to train online teams!"
    Why the hell is anyone obligated to have to consider that into their rating of the game bewilders me.
    I did not pay a full price for a game so that I have to pay for its online functions because it's otherwise standalone offline experience is shit.

Whoever still think that Game Freak has the same passion they once did is over their heads, this is a shadow of what once made the series great.
    Last edited by zeltrax225; November 26th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    I don't know why people say this new batch of Pokemon is well designed, it's not.
    Hey, hey! Leave the new pokémon alone, they are great. Once the dust is settled, Orbeetle will probably remain on my top20, maybe 10. And there are a lot of other great ones.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    But Christ is this the worst fucking single player campaign ever.
    But yes. There were times I was legit amazed in front of the TV thinking how much they could shamelessly lower the bar to test how much we can take. And we'll take anything. Because we legitimately think "it's pokémon" is reason enough to buy the game regardless of anything. If has a new batch of creatures, so fuck the rest.
    It's weird, Pokémon is the highest grossing franchise in the world (not even just "game franchise". any media franchise), "it's pokémon" should be something we use to demand the highest possible standards, but somehow it became an excuse for things to be half-assed. "Oh, you know, it's pokémon..." meaning "it's a poor quality product, no reason to expect something different, but let's have fun because we like it".

It's no surprise GF kept so much of the new dex in secrecy, they probably knew the new pokémon were all the game had so they didn't want to exhaust all the things that could elicit a good reaction before the game was out. The fact they are arguing the leakers caused "irreparable injury" to Pokémon by revealing the game contents and that leading to "reduced fan interest and engagement" is pretty much an admission of knowing their game was shit and that they were trying to hide it (I mean, obviously TPCi is right on their lawsuit against breaches of contract, but I find their logic and wording very revealing).
    When you think about it, the fact they revealed so much in Gen VII and the fact they revealed so little now was not a matter of different marketing strategies, it was a matter of confidence in their games. They knew Alola was appealing and the more they showed the more interest would be generated. And they knew Galar was the opposite.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; November 26th, 2019 at 02:09 PM.

I think it's fine to express negative opinions, but it's really well past the point where it's not so much that as just toxic fumes on repeat, and that really needs to stop.

This thing where we pretend the story in this game is more shit that the story in other Pokemon games is asinine. Pokemon games aren't about the story, they're about you making your team and becoming the best in your region. That's why the games end when you beat the champion, not when you foil the evil master plan of some mid-life crisis dude to destroy the world for questionably stupid reasons.
    Even gen 5 where the story was more at the forefront took a huge tumble down to shit when the story took a turn from being morally ambiguous to "cartoonish villain tries to take over the world, summons castle from underground."

Then the comparison to Zelda and Fire Emblem. I don't know about DQ and Digimon, but both Zelda and Fire Emblem took fantastic risks in reducing the regular scope of the series to focus on something else.
    BotW has only four fucking wannabe dungeons, compared to most of the previous titles having roundabouts 7 and 8. This is more actual cutting content than dexit ever was, but almost no one gave a shit because the focus on the overworld won people over. I personally cared and found BotW to be fun for like 4 hours and then become exceedingly boring and inconsistent... but that's fine, I just stopped playing it and went on to play something else.
    Same with Fire Emblem... significantly less maps and story chapters than previous Fire Emblem games... Fire Emblem 7 was around 30 chapters I think, with side chapters in there, different nuanced objectives, and still having brilliantly written characters and story. The new one dramatically reduced the amount of original content, turned recycled content up to 11... and it worked! Why? Because the mechanics of experiencing different stories through different perspectives and understanding the different characters through different playthroughs was so compelling that all that other shit didn't matter. It was still just fun, and it did well because of it.

As much as people insist on writing essays and rants about it endlessly, the fact is that a lot of the complaints feel like people who wanted to hate this game since before it released still intent on hating it. That may not be the case here, but we can't ignore the fact that there's a ton of people having fun and SO MANY PEOPLE buying this game and enjoying it because, as was foretold, all this shit like dexit and "trees look bad" doesn't actually matter to the fun most people will have from this game.
    As much as people insist on shitting on Gamefreak for being "lazy", the reality you have to live with is that regardless of any choices you and I feel are stupid, they know exactly what their audience want, because that's the only way you continuously do so well release after release. If their games were actually bad, people would just stop playing, because unlike all the complainers all over the internet, what normally happens when a game is bad is that people just stop playing it and go play something else.

What you have to realize at some point is that maybe pokemon just isn't for you? Like, you CAN enjoy the pokemon franchise without spending $60 to play a new game you know you're going to hate. And if you do buy it and hate it as expected, you also just have the power to stop playing it. Instead of being toxic to the devs just accept that this game is for someone else and respectfully let those people enjoy their game. If you're not having fun, the solution isn't to insist to the world that something YOU didn't like is objectively not fun. Like, just stop playing the game and have fun somewhere else.
    Like, have you guys played Ni no Kuni? That has collecting, team building and has significantly better story, music and art direction compared to the pokemon series. It's also on Switch right now. I would much rather you guys go play that and have a great time than feel compelled to constantly dump on the game on loop while other people here want to just enjoy it, talk about it, trade, share stories, etc. At the end of the day that's the fucking point of games, to have FUN.

I actually enjoy the stories in Pokemon games (including Sword and Shield). Adventure and story are the main reasons I play games in general. Yesterday I spent 2 hours typing up a post (which I deleted 10 minutes after posting) talking about my Sword and Shield experience and outlined different sections, the section for adventure where I talked about what I enjoyed and what I thought could've been better for the Galar region and its areas was a few paragraphs whereas stuff like new Pokemon and battle mechanics only got single small paragraphs saying basic things like "I liked a lot of the new Pokemon designs" and "I'm grateful for EXP Candies making leveling up more convenient".
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

I just don't understand why the game has the exact same text box explanation interface for every single last thing exactly the same as it was on the gameboy 20 years ago.

You begin a round of combat by selecting your desired move.
    If your monster is fast enough to take the first action, you are immediately re-told in plain text which move you just selected.
    Then the move’s corresponding animation plays.
    If the move inflicts damage multiple times, each hit gets an individual animation, then a text box summarizes how many times the move just hit.
    If the move has a type advantage or disadvantage against its target, this is communicated first with a sound cue, then with a discrete text box.
    Critical hits, if they occur, get their own text box as well.
    If your move inflicts a status condition, this is demonstrated first with an animation, then with a text box, every time the effect is triggered — usually once per round.
    The entire process then repeats for your opponent’s move, over and over again until the battle is over, for every battle in the game.

Yeah, you can cut the battle time in half by disabling the animations. But that is the opposite of the ideal solution. The text should not play the central role in combat: There is no reason that “It’s super effective!” indicator still needs to halt the flow of combat with a text box — the phrase could simply pop up on screen simultaneously when an attack connects. Status ailments no longer need to be re-introduced every time they trigger; their associated particle effects could just persist on the character models. Weather effects don’t need to be announced every single turn that they’re active; they’re already communicated by visual changes to the battlefield. In strategically complex battles, where multiple weather conditions and status effects are resolving every turn, single exchanges can take several minutes to complete.

Or, whenever you want to heal your party. Restoring your team’s health requires
    opening the menu
    opening the item sub-menu
    selecting a potion
    selecting a mon to use it on from the sub-sub-menu depicting all your mon
    then confirming that you want to use the potion.
    But from there, the menu cannot be closed all at once — there is no way to go from the sub-sub-menu straight back to playing the game. You must reverse out of every thing one at a time by hammering the B button, after every major battle, for the entire duration of the game

Even things like getting your team healed at a Pokémon Center requires two text boxes, the insertion of all six of your Poké Balls into a device one at a time, a music cue, then another two text boxes. Battles begin with a swooping camera to introduce your opponent and the dramatic deployment of your first critter. This creates a thrilling atmosphere the first few times, but man does it add up.

I'm not saying they need to switch to active real time battles, the alternating turns are the core mechanic and they have spinoffs for active combat, but... they could really, REALLY trim that nonsense down a little, legacy or not. These things don't bother me so much on the old games where the graphics are tiny or 8-bit still frames, or when the controller only had two buttons, so you actually DO need the text to tell whats happening and submenus, but now? I've been replaying Black and White lately and it doesn't bother me at all there, but somehow the same thing on the big screen and real controller just feels SO dated and poorly designed.

They got rid of HMs being mandatory, and gave you a hotkey button to throw a pokeball, running shoes at the very start, broke your bag into compartments (some games better than others) lots of other quality of life stuff... (Including exp share love it or hate it, rivals that warn you before you fight them, and people that heal you every five steps) but they can't tweak the main focus of the game a little?

How is this still okay? Even Dragon Quest which is famous for not changing hasn't stagnated THAT much.

Graphics, story, whatever, those aren't what you play the game for. Dexit bothers me because literally none of my favorites made it in, but whatever, they can't reuse old assetts they can't reuse old assets. But the core gameplay is just... argh.
    Last edited by Robby; November 26th, 2019 at 07:52 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    I think it's fine to express negative opinions, but it's really well past the point where it's not so much that as just toxic fumes on repeat, and that really needs to stop.

This thing where we pretend the story in this game is more shit that the story in other Pokemon games is asinine.
    You really to nail down what toxic means. You refer people criticizing the game here as toxic (maybe because you simply don't want negative opinions being voiced about something you like and calling it "toxic" makes it look like the problem is not that, despite your introductory term) and then immediately goes to call people critiques "asinine". Didn't even bother reading past that point, it wasn't worth anymore.
    If you really think people criticizing a product (a product they payed for and fully consumed before voicing their opinions) can be toxic but is fine with downright calling them stupid on the same breath for disagreeing with you, you need to set your priorities straight.

Just to add. Having recently played through gens 5 and 6, and also putting hundreds of hours into gen 7, I don't think Sw/Sh is on average inferior in terms of story or towns.

The story is lacking in all these games by RPG standards, often with a nonsensical or anticlimactic final act. And that's taking games where the story even exists; forget gen 1 etc. I'll give Sun/Moon the credit for developing cool characters. Lily, Gladion, and Guzma were well done, and so was Lusamine honestly. In that sense I've defended the plot in the past, but that doesn't mean the actual "story" potion of it wasn't short and predictable with no real satisfying conclusion. At least outside of the pretty much background-level "plot" in Sw/Sh there are some cool themes running such as legacy and inheritance. There are cool characters as well like Marnie but they don't get fleshed out as much.

I don't even know what to say about towns... they've always been pretty small or empty, with no more than a few houses/buildings of interest and sometimes a set piece. Sure, the ONE big city in gen 5 and 6 (Castelia and Lumiose) outscales the counterpart in Sw/Sh (Wyndon), but TBH those cities are annoying as fuck with the scrolling isometric view, segmented areas, and a bunch of buildings you could explore with literally nothing of interest in them. I'll take Wyndon any day.

Nobody cared before, but suddenly now it's appalling. I was gonna make a different post instead, about my experience in the battle tower, but I guess I'll do that later.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    You really to nail down what toxic means. You refer people criticizing the game here as toxic (maybe because you simply don't want negative opinions being voiced about something you like and calling it "toxic" makes it look like the problem is not that, despite your introductory term) and then immediately goes to call people critiques "asinine". Didn't even bother reading past that point, it wasn't worth anymore.
    Toxic is constant shitting on the devs as indefensible, lazy, careless, lacking in passion, lacking in attention, among others.

Critiquing an opinion as asinine because it lacks foundation is just that. If I were compounding that with statements like "this opinion is stupid because you are all idiots", then it moves into the realm of toxicity.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information