+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Its extra crazy given that Stephen's translations were considered the holy grail of accuracy that everyone went to as the definitive source before he got the official job.
    This fact blows my mind considering how some treat the official release. I remember lurking in 07 before I got the courage to actually sign up and argument after argument boiled down to "Stephen's translation says..." God 2007... I was 20...

I remember taking it upon myself to meeting him person at Comicon just to thank him for all he's done. Dude is a class act with a wonderful attitude and it only makes me root for him more.

I've got Ridley in Smash and Stephen as the official One Piece translator. My timeline is golden! Would be platinum with a few more things but golden none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    From what I've seen around, it's not so much that they don't trust the accuracy of the translation and more that they don't like the localization choices (or maybe they are just opposed to localization itself as a concept).

Yeah this is the main issue but even still I don't agree with most complaints. What was Buggy's War Lord epithet in Japanese? Star Clown or something? Stephen made it Genius Jester I believe. A lot of people complain and Stephen explained the original Japanese had some alliteration if I remember correctly. Then I thought about the definitions of genius, star, clown and jester and I'm like yeah this works just fine.
    Last edited by RomanceDawn; January 1st, 2020 at 09:01 AM.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

the best one piece translations are still the fansubs for the anime, but the viz one is okay too i guess, even though i'm not a big fan of the writing style
    Last edited by Lord Gaimon; January 1st, 2020 at 06:47 PM.

Everyone makes mistakes, so it's better to have multiple interpretations, instead of just 1

Also, I didn't hear of this translator until 2019. For further context, I didn't know of any OP forums til I was 3 years into reading it

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Its extra crazy given that Stephen's translations were considered the holy grail of accuracy that everyone went to as the definitive source before he got the official job.
    Wasn't Cnet128 considered the best who even corrected Stephen in some cases? Or am i remembering it incorrectly?

A lot of scan preferring people have complained the official is too goofy with all the puns and stuff steven does, like there was one person who responded stephen adding a bird pun with big news morgans changes the depiction of his character because its something that wasmt in the raws. Ive also heard that sometimes they say the translation is too clinical compared to the scans, where it sounds like sheldon from the big bang theory throwing in fancy words to make the writing look smarter

I disagree with both of these but I can see why scanlation fans would see it as "not taking the story seripusly enough" or see it as a lack of respect akin to 4kids but to a lesser degree
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    A lot of scan preferring people have complained the official is too goofy with all the puns and stuff steven does, like there was one person who responded stephen adding a bird pun with big news morgans changes the depiction of his character because its something that wasmt in the raws. Ive also heard that sometimes they say the translation is too clinical compared to the scans, where it sounds like sheldon from the big bang theory throwing in fancy words to make the writing look smarter

I disagree with both of these but I can see why scanlation fans would see it as "not taking the story seripusly enough" or see it as a lack of respect akin to 4kids but to a lesser degree
    Feels weird to complain about both of those things at once. But even on their own, who's objecting to there being puns in One Piece? Oda writes the original version to be full of wordplays and gags but then the English version should keep all Japanese words in because they sound cooler? And on the other hand, I can understand "clinical" as a description you could level at it, or saying that the flow of the dialogue isn't to taste, but you have to wonder at the reading level of someone who thinks the vocabulary is too fancy or trying too hard.

But I think a factor in these two seemingly contradictory complaints appearing is the factor of character voices. Most scan versions (in my experience) tend to have a very uniform voice and vocabulary across all the dialogue. They retain characterisation through different topics being talked about, broad temperaments and those horrible end-ever-sentence-a-certain-way quirks from the raws, but the translator won't change their approach to puns or formalities for one character to make them sound distinct from the rest of the cast. The official release, as I've said before, doesn't have the best dialogue in the world, and all versions are far from being "realistic," but it is better in that aspect. Silly characters get more puns, formal characters are noticeably more formal. And someone already on the hate track is going to find the characters done in the way they like least and focus on that, then go on to characterise the whole release as "too goofy" or "too formal" without taking the context into account.

It even comes up in discussions of the release's (incredibly rough) early days where people feel the need to warn readers about the way piratey slang pops up, as if it does so totally at random across the whole cast, when really it's a quirk given to a small number of characters, mainly early villains like Buggy, Alvida and Kuro, and the members of Shanks' crew in chapter one. I'm not saying that having it was the best approach or that it isn't sometimes a bit cringeworthy to read, but it's frustrating to see it characterised as a nonstop problem with the release as opposed to a subpar handling of a few specific characters

As a side note to translation discussion, y'all should have a look at this blog: https://kaizokuou-ni-naru.tumblr.com/ It follows a reader going through the series in Japanese and going through interesting uses of the language and subtle things that get lost in translation. It's fascinating looking at the kinds of subtle things that pop up, and pretty enlightening when you try to work out a translation approach that could cover absolutely everything and see that it's just not possible at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quo...l-71-58-16.jpg

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I read on twitter that Thailand support is coming next month.
    My Thai friends want to read it. Did it come out yet?

I tried reading chapters on Manga Plus since when it came out, but image quality and reader features were so awful that I gave up immediately and happily got back to Jaimini. It's incredible that they coordinated this big operation against illegal scans and still their site remains unchanged, it's so bad that it drains away a lot of excitement from me. They should be professional and yet "fan" sites are way better than the official one.
    I even forgot american readers use strange names like Zolo, that's a punch in the eye and an enormous let down (some will say that's just a name, I can understand it, but to me is really irritating). in Italy we have Rufy instead of Luffy, I still buy every new volume but every time I see it or any of the other illogical adaptions it gets on my nerves and I lose will to read their translation.

Such a shame it happened right when some of the most exciting chapters are being released. I'll keep sending reports to them, but for now this anti-piracy operation has only ruined my experience instead of making me love One Piece even more.

How do you get double page on the mangaplus site using a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    How do you get double page on the mangaplus site using a laptop?
    You have to change to horizontal. In the red bar that appears, click on the three white dots on the top right and you can switch.

They really ought to give this thing a better interface. It's not intuitive at all. I think it's directly inspired by Japanese reading sites, but I find it aggressively unappealing.

You have to change to horizontal. In the red bar that appears, click on the three white dots on the top right and you can switch.

They really ought to give this thing a better interface. It's not intuitive at all. I think it's directly inspired by Japanese reading sites, but I find it aggressively unappealing.
    Can you read split single images but have the spreads be double pages? Like scan sites?

Can you read split single images but have the spreads be double pages? Like scan sites?
    No. Greg or Stephen somewhere in this thread went into how in order to do that someone would have to individually code every page going back 900+ chapters and code them as single pages or double pages, which would be a gargantuan task.

Considering the biggest gripe people complaining about scanlation sites going down is that the Viz translation is less authentic to the Japanese experience, it's odd people wouldn't be more excited to have every page presented as if you were actually reading a comic book with two pages visible at once.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    No. Greg or Stephen somewhere in this thread went into how in order to do that someone would have to individually code every page going back 900+ chapters and code them as single pages or double pages, which would be a gargantuan task.

Considering the biggest gripe people complaining about scanlation sites going down is that the Viz translation is less authentic to the Japanese experience, it's odd people wouldn't be more excited to have every page presented as if you were actually reading a comic book with two pages visible at once.
    Because reading digitally is different than reading physical edition. Double pages for everything doesn't make sense in digital readers.

You can't say "well that's how it is with physical" ! Digital is a different beast.

As for the translation, I think Stephen translation is amazing and its the only thing making the experience bareable.

Yes, you can(on horizontal mode). You can even go true full screen in M+. No true full screen in Viz unless you do it manually by removing some html elements from the page(must repeat for every chapter/page).

yeah, mangaplus is nice on horizontal mode, but this made me a little bit, hurm....anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by silver_planet View Post
    https://i.ibb.co/RTmW3T0/967.jpg

yeah, mangaplus is nice on horizontal mode, but this made me a little bit, hurm....anyway...

The structure of that spread is so weird now that I see it like that. Why not just make Roger a single page and leave the other for the rest ?

Oda loves this 2/3-1/3 double pages. It makes the numeric reading quite difficult when the reader only allows single page.

The structure of that spread is so weird now that I see it like that. Why not just make Roger a single page and leave the other for the rest ?
    Only a guess but one based on photography as well as art. This layout softly carries the eye across the gap. It creates a lighv mood as opposed to a stark contrast like, say, Enel. Check out the dlfference there makes you *focus like a laser* on the page. Now read Roger's again and see how the design follows the mood of the panel and almost seems to play out in slow motion and brings you to the next page.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Only a guess but one based on photography as well as art. This layout softly carries the eye across the gap. It creates a lighv mood as opposed to a stark contrast like, say, Enel. Check out the dlfference there makes you *focus like a laser* on the page. Now read Roger's again and see how the design follows the mood of the panel and almost seems to play out in slow motion and brings you to the next page.
    Yes, I like it more this way, imo. Also, this is not the first time Oda does this kind of double spreads, weird this is the first time this is mentioned around here. I believe it is because of the change to mangaplus, and people are not used to the gap between the pages.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information