+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

The talk of popup notes does sound really appealing. The dream would be a custom digital reader with toggles for black and white and colour, English and raw text for those who want to compare and contrast, and annotations/commentary on and off. The next challenge would be working out a physical release that could in any way be a complement to such a release.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    Updating Zolo to Zoro will hurt no one and will garner huge good will from the community

But I guess someone decided to die on that hill over at Viz.
    I agree that it is annoying that they still do that and truly would do no damage if they changed it, but how hard is it to just ignore and read it in your head as zoro at this point?
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

The technology is there for the digital release they can even incorporate auto read/scroll with custom panel animation(shaking..etc), they can even go an extra mile and add OST option for series that already have an anime.

Is there any way to download a chapter from mangaplus?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis20 View Post
    Is there any way to download a chapter from mangaplus?
    No not from manga plus
    Only the series specific to manga plus have all their chapters free

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    I agree that it is annoying that they still do that and truly would do no damage if they changed it, but how hard is it to just ignore and read it in your head as zoro at this point?
    Regardless, its a big point of contention and one that is easily fixable. Telling people the official version is more accurate but they can't even write their fav character name properly is bad look. Zoro is insanely popular.

The continuity argument is bullshit, no one will be confused, every one knows Zoro.

Someone should tell Roger and The OPP guys they are big fishes in a goldfish bowl, you'll never get rid of scans sites so matter how much you cry about them

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    MS made us feel the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory.
    That was Mangapanda. I remember the days when Mangastream was the comfortably superior translation..."crucify and chill" notwithstanding

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    That was Mangapanda. I remember the days when Mangastream was the comfortably superior translation..."crucify and chill" notwithstanding
    They've always been swear/slang stream, not sure if superiority over Panda even counts :) I used to double check with Aohige/CCC's scripts and that guy from manga helpers(cnet128), they were the closest to the official release in accuracy.

Updating Zolo to Zoro will hurt no one and will garner huge good will from the community

Remember how, for the longest time, they subtitled every arc post time-skip as "NEW WORLD"? Maybe we should consider the fact that the people at Viz are not very good at what they do...

Aside from liscening issues, it would be too much of a hassle to reprint volumes to replace a single letter. The solution isn't as simple as people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    Aside from liscening issues, it would be too much of a hassle to reprint volumes to replace a single letter. The solution isn't as simple as people think.
    What licensing issues? Why would they reprint all volumes?

The reason stated is that its for continuity sake Zolo is not changed, which as I said, is BS argument, changing it won't hurt anyone, no one will be confused. Everyone knows Zoro

everyone knows Zorro not Zoro

Duuuude

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    We could still have another 70 volumes ahead of us for all we know.

Also, if they wanted to go back and reprint the older volumes to fix certain things, I wouldn't mind them doing so if they got Stephen to go in and retranslate everything for consistency. The older volumes were a bit off at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Usopp was translated Pipo in the french original translation. It was a very good find and people still made the same complain. Fortunately for them, the editor had a conflict with their translator and we have now an 'original edition' with Usopp. As a result, the early one piece fans are the one with inconsistent names in their collection. (Why don't they buy again the 50 volumes in the new version if they are true fans...)

Even myself who has bought the digital version, I have one volume of Enies Lobby whith Pipo and Roidutir for some unknown reason

Found my answer for the bible pun. It is lost in translation in most of the English versions. Only one has an adaptation. Most of them have a popup translation note (Funny, this is what greg suggested in his twitter)
    Happened something similar in Italy with Luffy being renamed "Rubber" and completely omitting the Monkey D. (yes, the D. was completely botched), but with time they corrected the mistake as "Rubber" being just a nickname and revealing his true name as Monkey D. Luffy

Changing a name this late into the series just looks bad/inconsistent. Zolo doesn't even sound bad, it rolls off the tongue quite well.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

The whining about the Zoro/Zolo thing is made infinitely more entertaining to see when you know Oda's personal opinion on it.

That aside.

Does it suck? Yes.

Is it literally *the* dumbest thing? Yes.

Is it as easy to fix as every teen or young adult not in the business with a keyboard or keypad at their fingertips thinks? No.

Do I wish it could be fixed? Yes.

If I was in charge would I make it a hill to die on to fix? Yes, and I'd probably die first.

Does it detract from anything? If you lack confidence in your fandom and attribute meaning to a letter of the alphabet as a representative of what you think is cool, yes. At 36 years old, 'Frieza' is still dumb as sh*t to me, but legions of DB fans call him that and...I don't give a damn because I'm confident in my fandom now and have no problem reading that. When I was 17 and thought everything needed to be HYPER AWESOME BECAUSE JAPAN KNOWS BETTER, yeah, it was a big deal.

Will scan sites always exist? In some form yes, but as the industry changes, they'll go the same way fansub sites did and they'll eventually be in the minority as more and more people find it easier to access through official means and as official sources continue to grow.

Most of the voices resisting this change seem to be in their late teens and early to mid 20's. They haven't seen industry changeovers yet and lack the experience to know, times change. Content changes. And access to that content also changes.

Yes, scan sites will always be there.

Just like radio.

Can we push for double pages, though? I really dislike two single pages given in a row for double pages.

Scanlations provided a bit better image quality compared to mangaplus but that's whatever. Double pages on the other hand aren't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The whining about the Zoro/Zolo thing is made infinitely more entertaining to see when you know Oda's personal opinion on it.

That aside.

Does it suck? Yes.

Is it literally *the* dumbest thing? Yes.

Is it as easy to fix as every teen or young adult not in the business with a keyboard or keypad at their fingertips thinks? No.

Do I wish it could be fixed? Yes.

If I was in charge would I make it a hill to die on to fix? Yes, and I'd probably die first.

Does it detract from anything? If you lack confidence in your fandom and attribute meaning to a letter of the alphabet as a representative of what you think is cool, yes. At 36 years old, 'Frieza' is still dumb as sh*t to me, but legions of DB fans call him that and...I don't give a damn because I'm confident in my fandom now and have no problem reading that. When I was 17 and thought everything needed to be HYPER AWESOME BECAUSE JAPAN KNOWS BETTER, yeah, it was a big deal.

Will scan sites always exist? In some form yes, but as the industry changes, they'll go the same way fansub sites did and they'll eventually be in the minority as more and more people find it easier to access through official means and as official sources continue to grow.

Most of the voices resisting this change seem to be in their late teens and early to mid 20's. They haven't seen industry changeovers yet and lack the experience to know, times change. Content changes. And access to that content also changes.

Yes, scan sites will always be there.

Just like radio.
    This feels like a rather comprehensive list of replies to all Greg related posts made in like two weeks. Well not the one about whether he is a smug set of female genitalia, but you have to leave some mystery. So if you ever think hey does that Greg guy read our posts, the answer is probably more than you'd imagine. Like santa, but for nerd whining. He's checking his forum and he's checking it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Myu View Post
    Can we push for double pages, though? I really dislike two single pages given in a row for double pages.

Scanlations provided a bit better image quality compared to mangaplus but that's whatever. Double pages on the other hand aren't for me.
    If you're talking about Mangaplus, you can switch to Horizontal mode.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information