+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    It's like the argument, the name is cool in Japanese, so it has to remain like that. But I wonder, do japanese who hear Oden or Katakuri which, for them, refer to common cooking really think those names are cool ? I'm not japanese so I don't really know, but in French 'Pot au feu' is far from being cool
    Pot au feu would be a pretty boss villain name.

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

oh god why did I google it now I'm hungry
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

I was gonna suggest french food named villains but then i remembered that the BM pirates are pretty much that.

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

It's always funny reading Tamago's French mixed with the English.
    Last edited by asm00200; December 21st, 2019 at 01:54 AM. Reason: and im not even french :)
    What is Oden saying to WB?
    Become my son Whitebeard.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    that is exactly my point. What the japanese hear when they hear Kuma, Oden, etc... is different from what non japanese speaking hear. So in no way am I qualified to say this is cool, this is not

This question of names mades me think of the bible which during centuries has not used the original names ! What a scandal, the billions of books should be immediately reprinted ! What is the Vatican doing ?
    And by curiosity on the subject, how is the Peter/stone joke (you are Peter and on this stone I will build my church) localized in English ?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Of course you would say that~

I read some other reddit posts, and it's kind of baffling seeing some arguments about the translations. Especially the leave all Japanese names Japanese thing. Sure, some names are better left as they are (for example neither Superman nor Batman are translated in Hungarian even though we have the necessary vocabulary for both of them), but name like Black Widow and Captain America have their official Hungarian counterparts. It's a matter of what the translator deems a better choice on a case-by-case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    We don't have people saying "Hey don't subscribe to Crunchyroll, because instead of Tenshinhan, they call him Tien in Dragon Ball Super. And they don't sub when they call him 'son goku' they only say 'goku'. This is trash, let me watch a Fansub"

But with manga, those people will flip their lid over "Zolo".

That's because those people don't know that these are their real names. If they knew his name was actually son Goku they would raise hell. I seem to remember heated arguments about Krillin vs Kuririn back in my day. Anyways, now that we know Zoro's family has a fox motif the word "Zolo" is kinda dumb, no?

Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    And while I love the Japanese names more than the English translation of them :D, I actually think they should be translated literally. We should be reading them and understand them like the Japanese reader do, because that's what the writer actually intends, because if he didn't want you to be confuse about something he would've done it himself, we don't need the translator to add an element to the story that the writer didn't intend. (ex: the Admirals' colours/animals)
    Except One Piece uses names and words from many different languages. Did they translate "Gecko" or "Monkey" for the Japanese audience? Seems to me like the only one confused is you...
    Last edited by Jaymes; December 21st, 2019 at 04:19 AM.

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymes View Post
    That's because those people don't know that these are their real names. If they knew his name was actually son Goku they would raise hell. I seem to remember heated arguments about Krillin vs Kuririn back in my day. Anyways, now that we know Zoro's family has a fox motif the word "Zolo" is kinda dumb, no?

Except One Piece uses names and words from many different languages. Did they translate "Gecko" or "Monkey" for the Japanese audience? Seems to me like the only one confused is you...
    It was the writer's choice to use these names in his written language, so what your saying has nothing to do with translation. Imagine an English native using Akainu for his character. He wants you to read it like that, and not Red Dog. Obviously, the writer uses that for a reason, whether major or minor, there should be a reason for that.
    What is Oden saying to WB?
    Become my son Whitebeard.

Duuuude

Looking back, Viz had always translated the name of Zoro's hometown as "Frost-Moon Village".

Now that...well, let me use spoiler tags in case.

Spoiler:
    Now that the names of the old Wano Daimyos have been revealed, and all the names were left in Japanese with no translation, Viz-only readers are missing out on a potential connection.

I see a lot of complaints about Viz's controversial translations on Reddit. I think a lot of us, even here, can agree that for the most part the translations are of the highest quality, but for some names, a change would be reasonable. Would Viz listen to a pretty hefty fan outcry now that they've cracked down on fan translations? I know the quality of the scans has also been a problem for a lot of people, but for me personally, I just think the reading experience was better at places like Jaiminisbox and Mangastream.

JB was good, slang stream was just awful.

MS made us feel the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory.

If Jaiminis had released chapters much later than MangaPlus/SP, would people still be willing to wait for the "superior" translation? I don't buy the "scans are much better" argument. It's convenient. People should be honest about it and not make silly excuses. Mind you, I wouldn't even blame them for reading scans but I think people aren't honest.
    Last edited by Eren; December 21st, 2019 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    If Jaimini's had released chapters much later than MangaPlus/SP, would be people willing to wait for the "superior" translation? I don't buy the "scans are much better" argument. It's convenient. People should be honest about it and not make silly excuses. Mind you, I wouldn't even blame them for reading scans but I think people aren't honest.
    I would still read both, just in reverse order, because I know the official translation goes an extra mile to localize things.

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    If Jaiminis had released chapters much later than MangaPlus/SP, would people still be willing to wait for the "superior" translation? I don't buy the "scans are much better" argument. It's convenient. People should be honest about it and not make silly excuses. Mind you, I wouldn't even blame them for reading scans but I think people aren't honest.
    It's more likely that people would continue to read both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    The error is to consider those thing an error.
    And when Oda will put another Laugh tale in chapter 1500, will they have to reprint everything from chapter 1 ?
    I don't want to go too deep into slippery slope arguments, mostly because I know that updating a handful of names absolutely would not lead to the kinds of things I'm about to talk about, but this kind of thing is important to remember when criticising inaccuracies and missed foreshadowing in not just the official release but prettymuch all versions.

If a completely revised translation had been released a year ago based on what we need then it would already need updating for things like Laugh Tale and Mighty Blades. Just over a year ago people would bring up "Shiryu" as an example of the official release getting a name totally wrong, then Oda and the Vivre Cards suddenly canonised that spelling over the one they'd used previously. In keeping up with the big debate over the scanlators going down I ended up seeing some spoilers for the upcoming chapter and just based on those I can think of some more things that would need updating if the revision had dropped a week ago. Unless Oda or his editors start supplying Viz with full pages of notes about how everything ties in with the rest of the series, all full of big secrets and spoilers, things are going to keep being missed. An up-to-date translation is by nature going to be one that misses things. And they're not going to be too keen to update every one of these things that pops up not just because of the perception that consistency is professional but because of how often these things happen.

And of course, changing a handful of name spellings (even if they did it without reprints, just on a "from here going forward" basis) has a basically zero chance of leading to annual revisions to keep up with the new lore, so I'm not going to argue that. I just want to illustrate the complexities of keeping an up-to-date translation of an ongoing series, especially one with a near-concurrent physical release that can't be patched, compliant with every bit of lore and Oda-validated romanisation we've got.

Sometimes I think about how I'd rewrite the translations we have if I was given the chance. I know the lore I'd want to keep in the spotlight, the foreshadowing I'd like to fix and my own ideal names and spellings. But there are also things I wouldn't even want to touch before I know more of the core story. There's absolutely no chance my interpretation of Roger's last words on the literal first page of the first chapter isn't going to change after I learn what the One Piece actually is, so it's hard to commit one version to paper before we find that out. Would I write Luffy's middle initial as "D." assuming it's abbreviated from something, or just "D" without the dot, following the theories saying it could be a pictogram or something similar. Sure would be nice to know what it meant before I started writing. Some theories say the narration throughout the series is Usopp or Brook telling the adventures of the Straw Hats to a new audience in the future. I don't think that's true, but if it was, that would completely change how I'd approach those sections.

The bottom line is that an ideal 100% lore, foreshadowing and canon compliant translation can literally not exist before the series ends, and that makes updating existing translations broadly a tough task to commit to because it's such a moving target for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post

The bottom line is that an ideal 100% lore, foreshadowing and canon compliant translation can literally not exist before the series ends, and that makes updating existing translations broadly a tough task to commit to because it's such a moving target for the moment.

I think this sums it up extremely well.

And also something that would be completely lost among the OP reddit group, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Truth is, the manga/anime industry should've been on top of the digital market before anyone else. They should have a bigger community forum than AP or OJ. There shouldn't be so many fans finding manga series through a MS or anything like it. If they did their jobs right. They can still take advantage by embracing Arlong Park in some innovated way, but they let it live on it's own as they did with OJ. Well, at least until they're ready to bury it like OJ.

Instead, they let these entities live on because they know it helps grow the community, but when they start to implement the methods like they've done as of the last 3 years, they can X out MS and others whenever they want. Simple business tactics. Disney and Warner used Netflix to broadcast their properties, but when they copy their methods, they start their own platforms and become more immediate competitors. The difference is, the manga/anime industry barely embraced an OJ or AP. They pick out who they control and X out everyone else. OJ tried to promote and do the "make sure you support the official product", but that gets you no where lol. That same thing goes on here and this place can be taken out whenever "you know who" feels like being aggressive.

The entities that put strikes on your favorite Youtuber's One Piece reactions or gets JB and MS to stop, have the same interest coincidentally. I wonder why. So many Youtubers like KOL or Joy Boy start from illegal scans or even Yonkou, but then they campaign for their following to go for the official release in the last 2 years stronger than they ever have. I don't doubt that it's genuine, but there's too many coincidences to ignore.

It's interesting that I pay the same people as the official release snobs, but i'm considered an advocate for illegal scans. What do you do to a fan forum that helps your business grow? You embrace it and possibly do cool collaborations or do you create this invisible leash that you can tug at anytime you want?

Updating Zolo to Zoro will hurt no one and will garner huge good will from the community

But I guess someone decided to die on that hill over at Viz.

Usopp was translated Pipo in the french original translation. It was a very good find and people still made the same complain. Fortunately for them, the editor had a conflict with their translator and we have now an 'original edition' with Usopp. As a result, the early one piece fans are the one with inconsistent names in their collection. (Why don't they buy again the 50 volumes in the new version if they are true fans...)

Even myself who has bought the digital version, I have one volume of Enies Lobby whith Pipo and Roidutir for some unknown reason

Found my answer for the bible pun. It is lost in translation in most of the English versions. Only one has an adaptation. Most of them have a popup translation note (Funny, this is what greg suggested in his twitter)
    Last edited by Kdom; December 22nd, 2019 at 03:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information