+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters(2020)

Default Re: Ghostbusters(2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Douchebros cheering about how they were right all along about the 2016 movie being a travesty, and they were right all along for trashing that "feminazi sjw crap".

Nevermind that Ghostbusters 2 exists and is the actual worst Ghostbusters movie.
    Nevermind the potential issue of the movie underperforming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Whatever you do, don't read the comments.
    I read the comments and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Douchebros cheering about how they were right all along about the 2016 movie being a travesty, and they were right all along for trashing that "feminazi sjw crap".

Nevermind that Ghostbusters 2 exists and is the actual worst Ghostbusters movie.
    I mean that's their opinion so who cares what they think about the 2016 movie that doesn't make them douchebags, also the 2016 movie was trash and it's not because the movie was an all female cast and as for Ghostbusters 2 well it's been a while since I watched that movie and barely remember it so I have no opinion on that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Especially since the problem with the 2016 Ghost Busters movie wasn't the women leads, just bad writing and gross out humor and bringing nothing new to the table in terms of plot

They could have done the exact same movie with men and it would be just as bad if not worse
    Pretty much this, you could replace the all female cast with male cast and keep everything else the same and that movie would still be trash.

You could still potentially turn out the same movie of dubious quality with an all male cast but would you still have the toxic and shitty comments from the "DiVeRSiTY iS RuiNiNG EvEryThInG I lIke" crowd?
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWitch View Post
    I mean that's their opinion so who cares what they think about the 2016 movie that doesn't make them douchebags,
    First of all, youtube or the studio currated the comments. There was a LOT worse stuff a couple hours ago. Aside from that...

Are you aware of the contorversy and all the massive shit dudebros pulled on the previous movie? It went way, WAY beyond "just stating an opinion", down to harassment campaigns and death threats.

People chiming in on this one going "see, I knew my opinion about that last one was valid" is tied to an INCREDIBLY toxic and problematic subset.

When the comment thread is full of quotes like
    "still unesseasery feminism is unesseasery"
    "Paul: "There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years"
    Leslie Jones: Eerie unintelligible screeches in the background"
    "We went from real men to women and now f***king kids?"
    who feel like this film is justifying them being hatemongers, that's not great.

The same opinions being given on a trailer for the remake of say, Spiderman, are different because there wasn't a huge sexism and death threat campaign aimed at the actors of Amazing Spiderman.

also the 2016 movie was trash
    Naw. It was fine. It was entertaining and earned a few laughs, and Kate McKinnon was great in every scene she was in. It wasn't a fantastic movie, no, and they certainly needed a tighter script than "let everyone do improv and we'll assemble it in the edit" but it was an entertaining enough outing on its own merits. It wasn't trash.
    Last edited by Robby; December 9th, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Are you aware of the contorversy and all the massive shit dudebros pulled on the previous movie? It went way, WAY beyond "just stating an opinion", down to harassment campaigns and death threats.

People chiming in on this one going "see, I knew my opinion about that last one was valid" is tied to an INCREDIBLY toxic and problematic subset.

The same opinions being given on a trailer for the remake of say, Spiderman, are different because there wasn't a huge sexism and death threat campaign aimed at the actors of Amazing Spiderman.

Naw. It was fine. It was entertaining and earned a few laughs, and Kate McKinnon was great in every scene she was in. It wasn't a fantastic movie, no, but it wasn't trash.
    If they want to talk trash about the movie that's again their own opinions and I have no problem with it, the only thing I don't agree with are the harassment campaigns and death threats. Also if you think the movie was fine then good for you that's your opinion, but for me the movie was trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    You could still potentially turn out the same movie of dubious quality with an all male cast but would you still have the toxic and shitty comments from the "DiVeRSiTY iS RuiNiNG EvEryThInG I lIke" crowd?
    Even if the 2016 movie was an all male cast, I'm pretty sure the movie would still get the same amount of hate the only difference is that no one would blame the sjw. Also I read a lot of those comments and barely any one blamed being the movie being bad because of diversity, sure there are some people that may blame the movie being bad because of diversity but most people think the movie was bad for other actual reasons.
    Last edited by DarkWitch; December 9th, 2019 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Especially since the problem with the 2016 Ghost Busters movie wasn't the women leads, just bad writing and gross out humor and bringing nothing new to the table in terms of plot

They could have done the exact same movie with men and it would be just as bad if not worse
    Which is, like, the actual point.

The movie was garbage but the criticism against it were dismissed by the actors and the directors because according to them, people just hated the female-cast idea and not because the female cast was actually garbage and the jokes themselves were written by a mentally ill fifth-grader.

Remove Ghost Busters name and remove the progress-bs that it was going for and you are left with a completely forgettable garbage modern comedy flick.

Anyone who *thinks* is that people hate Ghost Busters 2016 because of the all-female-cast and not because of the way that idea was handled as well as the actual quality of the film clearly hasn't paid any attention to the backlash.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

All-cast male movies aren't advertised as ground-breaking progressive-films that are about to change the landscapes of films forever.

Female-cast films are.

And all of them are either extremely mediocre, forgettable or downright horrible. Which is why they use the progressive angles because its 2019 so dumb people will praise garbage if it featured modern hip culture.

Good film-making is good film-making. It has nothing to do with male or female which is a concept that many many modern directors don't understand and then whine when their shitty manufactured product doesn't get praised.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    All-cast male movies aren't advertised as ground-breaking progressive-films that are about to change the landscapes of films forever.
    Makes sense when you remember how many films over the last 100 years or so have been dominated by largely male casts male directors, male producers, male writers etc.

So of course why would they advertise something that's not actually new or ground breaking something that Hollywood routinely gets shit for.

And all of them are either extremely mediocre, forgettable or downright horrible. Which is why they use the progressive angles because its 2019 so dumb people will praise garbage if it featured modern hip culture.
    Yeah they're no dumber than the people whining about conspiracies and agendas or taking a comment from an actress and construing it as misandryst/racist.

Good film-making is good film-making. It has nothing to do with male or female which is a concept that many many modern directors don't understand and then whine when their shitty manufactured product doesn't get praised.
    I mean maybe but that doesn't really answer my original question.

Even if the 2016 movie was an all male cast, I'm pretty sure the movie would still get the same amount of hate
    Yeah I don't recall Henry Cavill or Ben Affleck getting the anywhere near the level of shit for Man Of Steel and BvS that Leslie Jones and Marie Tran got for Ghostbusters and Last Jedi. Zack Snyder maybe but not the actual actors who were on screen.

the only difference is that no one would blame the sjw.
    .....Have you seen the bitching about the scene in Endgame with all the female heroes?

Makes sense when you remember how many films over the last 100 years or so have been dominated by largely male casts male directors, male producers, male writers etc.
    Yes, I remember 2001 A Space Odyssey being good because of male-actors and male-director and not because the movie was actually *good*.

Just looking forward to a time when all the classic movies start getting bashed for featuring male-leads and trash like 2016 Ghost Busters being considered modern masterpieces because all-female cast.

Quality be damned.

Why not Gone With The Wind gets shat on for it's datedness.

I never got why people hate on Ghostbusters 2 so hard.

It was worse sure, but it ain't bad.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Pretty much this, you could replace the all female cast with male cast and keep everything else the same and that movie would still be trash.
    Unless you have Jhonny Depp in the cast, he would put his 'Jhonny-deppery' quirks that makes things better.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post

I'm kinda curious about that too eventhough someone possibly Robby may have explained what it did wrong and me (probably) visiting TV tropes and stumbling across the movie's YMMV entry (which isn't necessarily or always factual).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post

It's inferior AND it's a beat for beat remake of the first.

But I agree that it's below-average at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hide View Post
    It's inferior AND it's a beat for beat remake of the first.

But I agree that it's below-average at worst.
    Oh yeah it is kind of a rethread with a new coat of paint. But to me its a bit like watching later career Abbott and Costello or the Marx brothers movies, like sure i know the beats and i know for sure they've done this better before, but i'm here for the back and forth and to scratch that i need more itch so i don't really mind the wafer thin plot alibi or the shades of deja vu as long as they deliver on that. Like if i caugh ghostbusters 2 on a re-run i wouldn't switch the channel, but it ain't on my top one hundred.

I haven't watched Ghostbusters 2016 yet, so take my opinion with a very large grain of salt, but I'm no fan of remakes of classic movies whose whole premise appears to be "but this time, the characters are WOMEN!" in general. I mean sure, if you thought the OG Ghostbusters was too much of a sausage fest and want to include more female characters, be my guest, but if that's what your complete movie is premised on, you've got a problem. More female characters do not automatically amount to a good movie. Heck, not even to an innovative movie. Filling your film with a whole lot of female characters is a very easy way to appear to be progressive, but it's not if the female characters are horrible.

That said, my impression was that the film was passable and not outright awful. Kate McKinnon's character seemed like a blast from the clips I've seen and I'm sure Hemsworth was fun, too. I do hate Melissa McCarthy though, I think she's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness
    The movie was garbage but the criticism against it were dismissed by the actors and the directors because according to them, people just hated the female-cast idea and not because the female cast was actually garbage and the jokes themselves were written by a mentally ill fifth-grader.
    I don't think there is any denying that this is what most of the outrage about the movie was about, though. The movie was pre-judged because of its female cast, long before it came out, along with tons of "this is all a SJW conspiracy" paranoia bullshit.

Honestly, I think this new movie could be good. Hollywood trailers are always generic as hell, but it has me interested.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

It has Paul Rudd in it. I don't know what it is about that guy but I see him in a trailer and it just puts a jolly smile on my face.

I'm interested. Setting it in a small town with Igon's family could work as long as the plot makes sense. I hope we see Grandma Janine (She married Igon, right?).

NNID: jervinnectar

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    I don't think there is any denying that this is what most of the outrage about the movie was about, though. The movie was pre-judged because of its female cast, long before it came out, along with tons of "this is all a SJW conspiracy" paranoia bullshit.
    Uhhhh no.

The controversy started because of the shitty trailer that showed the godawful "comedy" of the movie that had the Ghost Busters name on it but was nothing like it beyond references. That's ultimately what caused the backlash. A beloved movie series like Ghost Busters to be reduced a godawful "comedy" featuring Melissa Mccarthy(a female Adam Sandler.....who unlike Adam was never featured in a good movie) with a progressive-tune that had no reason to exist aside from "FEMALE CAST" is why most people hated the concept of it.

People are really good at rewriting history, I will admit that much. Like how quickly people are pointing out the "harassment" but remember when AngryVideoGameNerd made a perfectly reasonable video for WHY he wouldn't watch the 2016 film which lead to him and his wife being ACTUALLY harrassed by the mob? But I guess that doesn't matter because they aren't hollywood people who have a fake-progressive views to preach.

Both sides have some rotten apples so lets not pretend to be fifth-graders here and clearly ignore one-side while shifting the blame to another.

It blows my mind when people want to *pretend* that they even remotely understand what caused the backlash even though they clearly haven't put more than 2 seconds into understanding the actual arguments and points.

Ghost Busters 2016 was shit. The only reason why people even pretend to give some lukewarm "opinion" is because they just don't want to admit that the majority of the people, who had a perfectly reasonable argument, found the movie to be forgettable at best. Remove the female-cast bullshit and the movie would stand toe-to-toe with Adam Sandler's worst movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    I'm interested. Setting it in a small town with Igon's family could work as long as the plot makes sense. I hope we see Grandma Janine (She married Igon, right?).
    That' what fans always wanted, but for some reason in the terrible sequel they paired her up with Louis.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information