Daron Nefcy
    Directed by
    Dave Wasson
    Starring
    Eden Sher, Adam McArthur
    Production companies
    Disney Television Animation, Mercury Filmworks
    Channel Disney Channel

New Disney show, the first episode just premiered.

It seems pretty good so far, although the humor does lean a bit more towards random than clever. The character designs are neat, and I'm always into the subversion of princess tropes.

==First Impressions==

What I like:

+Star's personality is very manic and slightly unsettling, she isn't typically lady-like at all.

+Marco is a good change from typical tough guy male leads.

+Animation is pretty and vibrant.

+Nice variety of character designs, good mix of sickeningly cute and equally-sickeningly ugly.

What I don't like:

-Marco seems like a bit of a butt-monkey so far, too much of the slapstick centers around him. Star feels like a more fair target, as someone who likes inviting danger into her life.

-The villains seem unnecessary, fight scenes don't really add anything to the appeal.

-We really need to move past the age of characters being drawn with four fingers and toes.

Go find the first episode online and share your impressions below!

Default Re: Star vs. The Forces of Evil

I liked it. I hope Star's rainbows bursting into flames is a running gag.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

First Impressions:

I like both main character personalities, but I think Star had a few lines in the first episode that feel flat. Something about the delivery was off and took my out of it. Particularly the "I'm a princess from another dimension" line felt forced and stood out to me. I think the locals of the other dimensions such as the club look great and I'm excited to see what the show gives us. I think right now its strongest trait its looks beautiful with a bunch of after effects and fluid animation. I really like how they explained how Star got the scissors, and she didn't just have them even after being pushed on Earth.

Its too early to tell if I'll keep watching each week. But the first episode didn't sell me completely. This feels like a happy in between Wonder Over Wander and Gravity Falls in terms of tone and story. Unlike Gravity Falls which has a lot of substance towards plot to keep me coming, Wonder seems so carefree and plot less that I haven't wanted to come back to it. This one doesn't have any plot threads to have an overacting story, not that every show needs em, I just like em.

I hope this goes the route of Danny Phantom, where the first season is stand alone episodes, and then as the show goes further it starts gearing towards arcs.

I'm with Silver, mostly. There's a lot of creativity put into this and it looks great, but I really wish the show would reign in its energy a little. The randomness is pulled out too often to really be funny and everyone yelling all the time gets annoying after a while. The series also had what could have been a good setup for an ongoing story that I think is ruined by its unwillingness to stay in one place. Like they could have spent more time dwelling on what Star's presence on earth means (like Sym-bionic Titan and how the main cast drew the attention of their enemies to our planet), or her relationship to Marco (which on the surface reminded me of Haruko and Naota from FLCL, but lost it as soon as it fell into a static groove at the end of the first episode). There's a lot of potential that they mostly lost the chance to grab onto.

On the other hand, that skeleton in the spike pit yelling "FALL! FALL! FALL!" is totally me irl.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Good stuff, for the most part. I'm not gonna judge the "overall story" aspect just yet, since it's only had 2 episodes to shine. Biggest problem I'm seeing is the constant loudness from some of the characters, but that's something that can be overlooked as long as the characters get proper development, and as long as the environments and storylines stay interesting. On the subject of the environments, the animation and art is beautiful and definitely one of the biggest "draw ins" for the series.

It's definitely something I'll try to follow when the full series starts to air (much easier for me to do so if it's on a week by week basis, instead of something I have to catch up to).

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

It feels very "Disney cartoon" as far as pacing and writing goes, and to an extent it does feel a bit forced(the random jokes that break the settings, despite the emphasis on random dimensions) and too fast paced. I do like the main characters a whole lot though. And the absolute chaotic nature of Star is just too damned great for me. The scene where she charges into the king's audience room and then proceeds to kamikaze the horse into the wall while jumping off it was the best scene. I feel it could have done without the montages or "Star narrating herself" tho. It reminded me of the writing style of Dave the Barbarian if I remember that show right.

It's not my favorite cartoon just yet, or really shows any possibilities of being. But that's good because maybe it can surprise me.

First time watching the trailer, I found Star to be quite annoying and found the humour to be a bit too forced.
    After watching the episode, it's not bad. But not enough for me follow the series. 15 minutes episodes show isn't really my thing.
    Humour aspect, it's trying to hard sometimes.
    Star starting to warm on me and I quite like Marco. The pony head kinda creep me out though.
    Gorgeous animation and art.
    I hope the reform school makes an appearance in later episode.
    The villain was REALLY disappointing. Terrible and generic design. Generic motive. I feel Star needs a better villain to match her personality. I guess a rival may pop-up later.

It was quite okay. The animation was really good, easily kicking into the level of some of the best Gravity Falls episodes. I love the voice acting of the main characters, but I absolutely can't stand the second episode with the Unicorn head - she sounds like, well, a "stereotypical strong black woman", I have no idea why they pulled this shit.

Everything else was nice, fights were okay, Star is as cute as it was possible to make her. Fresh show, I'll give it a few episodes to hook me in.

Rewatch the opening credit again and spotted the "stereotypical mean and popular girl" who probably look down on/jealous of Star.
    I would have honestly prefer more crazy and badass princesses than THAT.

I rewatched the episode with a friend yesterday, and I found myself liking it more than I remembered the day before. But I do admit that I feel like the second half of the episode soured the experience for me. I believe the Pony Head episode meant well but I don't know if the show (or at least me) can handle two loud shouting characters. It was too much noise and chaos going on. The moment Pony Head runs into the wall and the episode stops for a moment, it made me release there's not enough peaks and values with sound and chaos and it just made me tired to watch. The Pony Head episode did get with a couple of jokes, "Triangle Food!", "This place is full of squares", the tetris gag, and "Fall, fall, fall" made me chuckle even the second time through.

The first half was more my speed, probably because it was more story focus... and was more of a Macro episode.. actually for a show called Star vs the Forces Evil it looks like Marco is actually the true main character. Interesting. In both episodes, Marco is the one who goes through the character arcs. I guess that make sense, but so far at this point Star is more a catalyst for the conflict than character.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Why give a preview two months before the actual premiere date? Did Disney want to see initial reactions, and does that mean future episodes will be adjusted accordingly (though I guess given the months it takes to make an episode they've already got a few episodes finished already).

Anyways, it's hard to judge a show based solely on the premiere. But as others have said, the leads are plenty likable. And I like the creativity of the show so far and think they could get a lot of mileage out of the show's world. Betting the show's going the Kim Possible/Danny Phantom route of having various "villains" with maybe more connected plot lines down the line. Though if I'm gonna make a connection to other shows, the hopping around with scissors made me think of Rick and Morty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Interesting first episode, I enjoy the speed and energy Star has, she's like a hyper Mabel with little regard to safety.
    So far, something to keep an eye on with hope that they allow the imagination soar with the "anywhere in the Universe" concept.
    Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.

This looks like it could be a really interesting show, though it's a bit hard to judge it fairly from one episode and a lot of my thoughts are based on assumptions.

I'm already enjoying the two main characters and their Odd Couple dynamic (The same dynamic that I love about Dipper and Mabel). Their character arcs seem to already be set in motion; she's going to teach him to be more free-spirited and he's going to teach her to be more responsible. Star has the potential to become very annoying but they handled her well and she had some of the funnier moments (The rainbows catching fire and her heavy breathing in anticipation for receiving the wand, specifically). Marco seems to be the butt-monkey in the same way that Usopp or Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is as I assume he'll have a prominent focus on his growth just as those characters have had. But that's just a guess.

The animation is colorful and fluid and, to myself, looks like a combination of Wander Over Yonder and Sym-Bionic Titan. The humor is a bit random at times and not all of the jokes work. Although, I loved the gag at the end of Party With a Pony when Star and Marco just end up watching T.V. and eating nachos as that's what they were planning on doing anyway. I found that really cute.

I also hope that we get multiple recurring villains instead of one whose motivation just seems to be taking over the universe and whose gags are just that he's short and incompetent.

Overall, looks promising but I'm not sure if it's going to be a series that I follow regularly.

I've only watched the opening credits so far but I'll say one thing:

Star's wand is an obvious cross between Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon.

Last edited by Satsuki; February 2nd, 2015 at 05:33 PM.

Episode 3 is out, and before episode 2, for some reason. I'm still really torn on the show, everything I said above about episode 1 still applies.

That said,
    Spoiler:
    "I wish I could fight you, Mom!"
    was the first time I laughed out loud here, so there's still some hope.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Caught a few pics of this series on my Twitter feed. Had just enough of that "unusual" feel to catch my eye. Since then I've seen some scattered clips and the first couple episodes and really like the show so far. Marco & Star play off each other well in most scenes and, as mentioned, I like how Marco isn't a typical wimp (nor typical bad boy, much as he'd prefer otherwise).

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

The football episode was great! Easily the best so far. I definitely feel like the show has dialed back a bit and it feels less frantic.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    The football episode was great! Easily the best so far. I definitely feel like the show has dialed back a bit and it feels less frantic.
    Just got into the show, watched every episode today; the football is definitely my favorite thus far. Very fun show though, lots of great moments in each episode.

To quote TVTropes on its "Getting Crap Past the Radar" page:

"If Gravity Falls was proof that Disney's censors were adopting a laissez-faire approach to what content their cartoons could show, this show proves that Disney doesn't even HAVE censors anymore! As if the TV-Y7 rating slapped on the show is of no use to them.".

I mean, suggestive whistle jokes, booty-shaking in grade school and hints at cannibalism? Daaaaamn.

Wonderfully subversive show of course, love the chemistry that's playing off Marco and Star and the delicious frenzy their antics get them into.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

The show's back. First season was solid stuff albeit with weird tonal placement at points.
    The Ludo episode in the premiere was probably my favorite appearance of Ludo ever. The episode though is very strange, with a very different tone than anything seen before. It works though in the context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information