+ Reply to Thread
Page 564 of 571 FirstFirst ... 64 464 514 554 562 563 564 565 566 ... LastLast
Results 11,261 to 11,280 of 11420

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

I'd like a beast and wonderman team up movie

Bring on the bromance

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's another 20 years later though so Magneto's holocaust origin is going to be reeeeally hard to do at this point without doing... something to explain why he's not a 90 years old. They may have to jettison that aspect of it and that's a real shame.
    If he doesn't look young I doubt people are going to try to do the maths on it. Cast an actor that looked older young actor the role. 40-50 works fine and you can probably get a decade out it.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Oh I have no doubts they'll reset it to scratch, especially without Jackman or Stwart. Just pointing out they already rebooted mid stream canonnically. Sort of.

It's another 20 years later though so Magneto's holocaust origin is going to be reeeeally hard to do at this point without doing... something to explain why he's not a 90 years old. They may have to jettison that aspect of it and that's a real shame.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but one re-imagining of Magneto had him be a survivor of the Balkan Wars genocides.

What, you mean the movie written by the guy that xXx: State of the Union. Jumper, Fantastic Four, and the previously hated Dark Phoenix film, that they've delayed for two years since it was finished and have had three different sets of reshoots....

is BAD?

What a shock!
    Now in the interest of fairness he's also written for films like Sherlock Holmes, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, & Mr. & Ms. Smith.

So he's at least capable of writing watchable films. He just has a shaky history with the X-Men films.

Writing the good X-Men films like Days Of Future Pasta and writing the bad/not very well liked X-Men Films Last Stand, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Now in the interest of fairness he's also written for films like Sherlock Holmes, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, & Mr. & Ms. Smith.
    -Sherlock Holmes he shares those writing credits with at least four other writers. (And that's not counting Downey improv.) He also wasn't brought back for the sequel.
    -DOFP he shares those writing credits with two other writers, who were already on the best film in that franchise, First Class, which he doesn't have writing credits on.
    -He didn't write ALVH, he was just a producer on it. Also, stupid movie based on a stupid comic.
    -I haven't seen Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but RT has it at 59%. And that's his HIGHEST rated writing credit. So....
    -X-Men 3 and Fantastic Four.
    Last edited by Robby; June 7th, 2019 at 05:40 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

-Sherlock Holmes he shares those writing credits with at least four other writers. (And that's not counting Downey improv.) He also wasn't brought back for the sequel.
    To be fair the sequel isn't really as good as the first IMO.

-X-Men 3
    That I listed though with regards to the bad stuff he's written/taken part in.

Fantastic Four.
    Let's be honest here even if he wasn't the writer on that movie. It would've still been in Trank's hands and turned into the clusterfuck it became that essentially ended Trank's directing career. I mean the first two FF movies were trash third time was not going to be the charm.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Let's be honest here even if he wasn't the writer on that movie. It would've still been in Trank's hands and turned into the clusterfuck it became that essentially ended Trank's directing career. I mean the first two FF movies were trash third time was not going to be the charm.
    Chronicle was okay, especially considering the low budget. There was nothing set in stone that Trank couldn't turn out something good. That he was clearly the wrong choice is clear now, but his limited history of exactly one film wasn't a warning sign.

Granted, the INSTANT anyone said "Dark gritty grounded reboot" for the FANTASTIC FOUR they should have been fired on the spot, but....

Also, we've had two really good FF movies. They're called the Incredibles.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the premise, nothign wrong with the characters, and no reason they couldn't have knocked it out of the park. Like Sony was clearly incompetant to make a good SPiderman movie on their own and then they made SPiderverse.

Obviously they hired all the wrong people to work on it, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the FF that guarantees they're going to have a bad movie. Third time absolutely could have been the charm.

The FF's core problem historically is no one knows how to do anything with them beyond what Stan and Jack did in the 60's. No one has figured out how to update or streamline them at all beyond changing the look of their outfits, so of course the 50 year old characters are stale, especially when no writer does anything interesting with their powers or adds in any significant way to their rogue's gallery beyond what was in that original run...

But I think as One Piece fans we know exactly how to inject a little something into making a rubber guy interesting.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Also, we've had two really good FF movies. They're called the Incredibles.
    Oh? I thought people weren't too high on the 2nd one.

It was good, but...not exactly worth a 14 year wait.

It was fine but not as good as the first, and it just shouldn't have taken a decade and a half to be made. It was an episode of a tv show, not a once a generation filmevent.

On its own merits its a decent Fantastic Four flik.
    Last edited by Robby; June 7th, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

Rumors been going around that Marvel is targeting a Fantastic Four reboot for 2022, directed by Peyton Reed (Ant-Man & Ant-Man & the Wasp).

Reed in the past tried to get Fox to make it when they had it.

“Visually, one of the things we always talked about – and this was 2003 – was The Fantastic Four as daytime superheroes. They don’t have secret identities. They’re very much a part of the fabric of Manhattan. In that universe, if you go to New York to the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty or the Baxter Building, it was all a part of that. We talked about it being a ’60s period movie, but Fox at the time was not into it.
    Currently Reed’s pitch includes a 1960s setting that involves the Quantum Realm, and possibly The Black Knight.

https://thegww.com/rumor-marvel-stud...ing-to-direct/

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Jeh!, Dark Phoenix trailers made me hard to believe Jennifer Lawrence still has a career.

You know, I honestly went into this with low expectations. I heard that critically it wasn't doing well, but fan responses were ranging to positive so I had SOME hope.

But this was the final nail in the coffin for the theory that Bryan Singer just doesn't give a single fuck out of this franchise. To the most basic aspects of the central story.

I feel like any other studio and group of writers would have loved to taken advantage of the benefit of Days of Futures Past story line. Easily connects the old cast with the new cast, provided a great jumping off point for a soft reboot.

And yet Singer decided to "soft reboot" every film since.

Ends DOFP with Wolverine being taken by Mystique, not Striker as was in the original timeline. Quite the cliffhanger on how the timeline has changed.

Come Apocalypse and well, forget that plot point! Back to basics! At least this film will end with a "cool" moment of Jean Grey channeling the Phoenix to kill Apocolypse. Clearly since we're setting it up in this film, there is some relation in any sense to this film. Right?

Right?

Spoiler:
    nope.

Is the origin closer to the comics? Sure. Does it ONCE AGAIN just spit in the face of any sense of continuity? You betcha. Does it pay off in any sense though?

Not in my opinion.

You know I understand certain aspects of ignoring previous continuity to serve a better plot for the coming films. But when given a perfectly clean slate, the last few x-men films have just done whatever each film wanted. Had they all had separate writers and directors, I could at least understand. But this happened with the same studio backing of Singer who just shat on HIS OWN continuity until the very last second including this latest film.

Let the mainline X-men films rest for at least the next 8 years. Please.
    Last edited by Md-Martin; June 8th, 2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: badly phrased last paragraph
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

It was basically a lateral move; probably the worst thing about it is that it finally made the real world catch up with the original's animation. Before then, it'd managed to be a CG film that didn't look noticeably worse as time went by.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Singer made two fabulous X-Men flicks in the beginning, let's just leave it at that. Don't make him or let him make any more.

Maybe I'm just not sensing the sarcasm, but you guys know Singer did not direct Dark Phoenix right?

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

I would hope so.

I'm just talking about the path he put the franchise on since DOFP. Made a genuinely great film, but as of the very next film he decided to shit on his own continuity(The Wolverine/Mystique ending) while this film continues to shit on the continuity as well (
    Spoiler:
    having the Phoenix Force appearing in Apocolypse making no sense given how it's depicted in this film, fucking up the ending of DOFP which explicitly showed the ending of THIS timeline
    )

At the end of my day point is that since 2014 no fucks have been given about this franchise outside of once Fox realized that fucking up Deadpool was a mistake.

What really bothers me about the constant continuity fucking isn't that it's just messing with an established continuity, it's that it serves no purpose. It doesn't go to improve on a point that needed to be addressed.

First Class is a great movie because it goes in and explores the unique relationship between Xavier, Erik, and Mystique. It absolutely makes a major change to the established continuity by retconning Mystique to be Xavier's adopted sister.

Is it a change that comes out of nowhere without being hinted at in the franchise to that point? Hell yes.

Does it work though? Hell yes.

In the first two films it's established that Xavier and Mystique do have some history with each other at the point where she transforms into him in the first film, knowing how to fuck with Cerebro.

In retrospect, First Class actually adds another level to this. And honestly Mystique's entire character after DOFP where we learn in the first trilogy's history, she was tortured and experimented on by Trask.

We were given a very different Mystique in First Class and DOFP, but it served a purpose. The entire plot of DOFP is based on the events that would turn "Lawrence Mystique" into "Romain Mystique".

Compare this to one film later where Singer decides to add Angel in. More or less, simply to have Archangel in the same film Apocalypse was.

Unlike Mystique not only does this not serve a story purpose for the narrative, it just outright fucks with the continuity.

One of the only scenes of Last Stand that is pretty much universally loved is the scene of young Angel trying to cut off his wings. Clearly setting him as a child in the 90's.

I get Singer didn't direct that film, but he didn't not know about it. He make a conscious decision to reuse the character knowing if fucks with the continuity. And for what? To turn a character that -while pretty shallow in The Last Stand- has a very straight forward arc. But when using him again? He's a 20-something in the 80's drinking and cage fighting other mutants.

Singer didn't direct this film, but it does every bit of work he's been doing on the franchise since getting back into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information