Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I think it's supposed to be confusing.
    well I'm glad it's not just me

also in recent movie/tv show news

Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

I was so looking forward to this, now I have to wait to 2021 What the F**k

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...te-window/amp/

Last weekend I saw Parasite, the newest film from Bong Joon-Ho (The Host, Snowpiercer, Okja). Fantastic movie from start to finish. Very clever writing with very funny dialogue and a plot that you keeps you guessing to the very end. Actually, come to think of it, it almost feels like a Coen Brothers movie with its surreal and dark humor, morally dubious characters, and undefinable genre. I highly recommend it.

I should watch that and his other movies. I remember waiting until I would be able to watch the Host since the trailers for it looked cool. Don't remember enjoying it as much as I'd hoped but some of his other movies sound cool too. I'd heard of Parasite but didn't know it was from the guy that made the Host.

We should make thread for random tv shows also.

I am SUPER EXCITED about this, believe it or not. Even though I don't care about the book. Why? Well, aside from it looking like Harrison Ford is actually acting for the first time in years.... (It's also got a couple other actors I like in it)

The director is Chris Sanders. He directed Lilo and Stitch and the first How to Train Your Dragon, and both are among my all time favorite films. He also did story stuff on seven movies from Disney Renesaince between Rescuers Down Under and Fantasia 2000. (He also worked on the Croods which I didn't care for, but the visuals and color stuff came from him and that was all great.)

The dog is CG, but it looks real enough and that'll play to Sander's strengths.

Oh, and the composer is John Powell, who rocked How to Train Your Dragon.
    Last edited by Robby; November 20th, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Only thing that would make it more Cage is if he directed it also.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Only thing that would make it more Cage is if he directed it also.
    Your thinking to small, we mustn't stop there! the entire crew needs to be Nick Cage, he needs to set up the lights, do the make up, Make the wardrobe, edit the movie, write and compose the songs they use in it and also play all other side characters

it will be a master piece BWHAHAHA

Over my four-day weekend, I took the opportunity to watch a number of movies.

Spoiler:
    Lagaan: My second Bollywood movie after 3 Idiots. Honestly, I'm not sure which one I like more. 3 Idiots was fun and goofy as hell, but this was a slower and more meticulously-paced story (I mean, it kinda has to be at 3 hours and 45 minutes long). Yeah, it probably could have trimmed a few things, but damn the cricket game in the final act is unbelievably tense. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

The Garden of Words: A beautifully animated film, but complicated by the fact that this is a romance between a 15-year-old boy and a 27-year-old woman (Dammit Japan! Why do you have to make it so hard for me to like you sometimes?)

The Three Caballeros: This movie was pretty fun for a while, but then it got to the last 20 minutes and...wow. The title song is still cool as hell though.

The Irishman: Was really excited for this one, especially since it features the return of Joe Pesci. The movie is...fine. While Lagaan managed to keep me engaged throughout its long runtime, this movie definitely wavered with me and I had trouble keeping track of all the plot developments and characters' relationships to each other. It's definitely an interesting biopic, but it could have focused its characters and story a bit more. As for Pesci himself, he does fine, but it's a more reserved role as opposed to his usual angry and volatile characters.

lol. Looks like Ryan is doing The Truman Show in Grand Theft Auto:

It's an interesting premise. I just wish it wasn't Ryan Reynold.

Awww, why not? Ryan's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Awww, why not? Ryan's awesome.
    I think the idea of the movie is better if the character is a straight man or commically overwhelmed. With Ryan it feels we are in on a joke together and I don't think it best convey how fucked up it would be for that character to be in this situation. Also the fact that is an actor known for engaging with the audience will make it harder for me to enter the world this movie is introducing to me.

But he is awesome. It's just a movie where a think his strengths clash with the potential I see in this premise. Ryan is the fun man in a straight world where I want this movie to be the straight man in a fun world.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Over my four-day weekend, I took the opportunity to watch a number of movies.

Spoiler:
    Lagaan: My second Bollywood movie after 3 Idiots. Honestly, I'm not sure which one I like more. 3 Idiots was fun and goofy as hell, but this was a slower and more meticulously-paced story (I mean, it kinda has to be at 3 hours and 45 minutes long). Yeah, it probably could have trimmed a few things, but damn the cricket game in the final act is unbelievably tense. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    This year me and a friend of mine decided to randomly start watching Bollywood / hindi movies. Definitely one of the best decisions ever. Some of the most "over the top" ones (the Tiger and Don sagas, for example) definitely benefit from being watched in company + maybe a beer or two, but I'm surprised by how many of the movies we've watched are genuinely good. Like, as you said, Lagaan.

I'd recommend a lot of them for different reasons, but I guess my Top 5 would be: Dangal (so you can keep your Aamir Khan streak going + a healthy dose of feminism in a Bollywood movie, which is quite rare), Om Shanti Om (the ultimate Bollywood rendition? I say yes), Asoka (the most ambitious "adventure" flick ever? I say yes. Beware of the tonal shifts, though), Gangs of Wasseypur 1 & 2 (in fact, a single 319 minutes long movie divided into two. You can watch one at a time. They're really worth it) and one of my favourite films of the decade: The Man Who Feels no Pain, which is, quite possibly, the most joyous and entertaining and pure movie I've watched in years. This is no hyperbole. Extra points if you like martial arts movies, since we could "technically" consider this a martial arts movie, just a totally different kind from what you might have watched before.

I got a bit carried away, sorry.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information