+ Reply to Thread
Page 209 of 230 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 207 208 209 210 211 219 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 4596

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Is a potential future last minute save by activation of a new ability any less DEM just because author announced hero will eventually access multiple abilities? Seems like cheating.
    Yes, because a DEM requires no setup whatsoever to be an actual example.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    One thing I think people are overlooking is that Deku was originally conceived as a kind of Batman character with lots of tools and ingenuity but no Quirk. Horikoshi isn't going to give him additional crazy powers when his core feature is insane strength- he's more likely to give Deku powers that diversify his moveset and give various utility. Black Whip, for instance, is decently strong but also gives Deku the option to improve his mobility and redirect objects. I wouldn't be surprised if his other latents powers are also geared more towards ability than specifically increasing his power.

Seriously, just wait until his next Quirk is a smoke bomb or infrared vision. These are going to be a lot more like toolbelt options than insane multi-wielding Quirks.
    But with Deku Batman he would presumably develop those tools himself, to match his challenges. Like an Usopp. He would compensate for having no quirk through his tools and ingenuity. Here, said "tools" are gifted to him as internalized powerups, meaning that he now compensates for having no quirk...by having six quirks. You can't fit the "underdog relying on his wits" archetype onto him anymore, because he now, in his base form, has innate advantages beyond anyone else.

We are just going Naruto power scaling at a slower pace that's all folks

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Yes, because a DEM requires no setup whatsoever to be an actual example.
    I feel like this goes over a lot of people heads.
    While I agree with you it's not exactly a DEM, but it doesn't necessarily means that because it is not a DEM it is somehow better.
    Was Naruto becoming holy Jesus with the fox a set up? Yes since chapter 1
    Did it make the plot better? Nope but hey now we have nukes and everything else that he does is a DEM but we won't call it that wont we because you know, the first thing wasn't a DEM.

Was Gon kicking Pitou ass that clear of a set up to the reader? Nope not really.
    But did it have serious consequences and sent a strong message, thereafter contributed significantly and became a strong moment in the series?
    Kindda yes what with the thematic thing going.

Sure he does, sure it was setup. But just because he set himself an easier way or a hack to use in the future doesn't mean jackshit if the consistency falls apart.
    But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    But with Deku Batman he would presumably develop those tools himself, to match his challenges. Like an Usopp. He would compensate for having no quirk through his tools and ingenuity. Here, said "tools" are gifted to him as internalized powerups, meaning that he now compensates for having no quirk...by having six quirks. You can't fit the "underdog relying on his wits" archetype onto him anymore, because he now, in his base form, has innate advantages beyond anyone else.
    The Batman thing was only the original concept. Anything 'underdog relying on his wits' went out the window in Chapter 2 when he got the most powerful quirk in the setting. And even more out the window when we learnt what OfA actually is and that it gets more powerful with each user, meaning Deku will inevitably become more powerful than All Might at his prime, someone basically nobody else can hold a candle to. Other than in unused concepts, this was never a story about a kid overcoming foes more powerful than him with quick wit and determination. It's always been about a kid learning to master the incredible power he's been entrusted with, also with quick wit, determination, effort and all that good stuff.

Honestly, the extra quirks don't even make that much of a difference considering how ridiculous OfA was already.

Ahhh yes Batman, the underdog protagonist with billions of dollars
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

There's nothing terribly different between utilizing a tool you've developed and using your power in a new and creative way. With all the creativity Horikoshi has had in deploying Deku's super strength, I have a lot of faith that Deku will be pretty creative in using whatever new powers he gets.

My point is that Deku's new powers will likely be minor tools compared to his main strength quirk and that he'll still have to be creative in how he applies them.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Ahhh yes Batman, the underdog protagonist with billions of dollars
    A better example for a relatable underdog inventor protagonist would actually be Spider-Man. In spite of having powers he often has to make new inventions and suits with a limited budget to compensate against villains that beat him up during their first go around. Like making a magnetic field nullifying device to disable Vulture's wings, rubber attire to withstand Electro's lightning, or a serum to cure the Lizard.

When people say "Batman Deku", they mean what if Hatsume was the protagonist.

While I was disappointed that we weren't sticking with the simplistic appeal of clever super strength usage cultivated by multiple generations versus several deadly Quirks, I'm with Jabberwok on hoping that these powers will work in more of a versatile complementary utility belt rather than pulling a full-on Mega Man.

Hopefully these additional powers will be more along the lines of the multiple powers Spider-Man has which aren't that special and limited on their own (super strength, wall crawling, web shooters, spider sense). As long as we continue to see new interesting ways Deku masters his Quirks by rethinking how to use them rather than just the cliche shonen standard of physically training to gain more strength or abilities, I'm willing to give Horikoshi the benefit of the doubt.

Although I think people do have a right to be worried based on how easily this can all go wrong like other shonen manga.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

The saving grace for me is Deku should probably never be as strong as All Might with his basic quirk. The fact he should have to concentrate on multiple quirks alone should mean he won't be able to dedicate himself to completely max out either one of them.
    Fact there are so many quirks means Deku should with time create his own style, complemented with different abilities, so that he may be at All Might's level, but with multiple quirks instead of one. But what is the point of them then?

Well it really all depends if Horikoshi goes with "Jack of all trades, master of none" principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Spoiler:
    The way Deku shoots Black Whip out of his gauntlet this chapter is actually extremely similar to Spiderman's web shooter. Knowing that Horikoshi is a huge Spiderman fan, that's probably exactly what he's going for.

^ Yeah. That's why I think...
    Spoiler:
    Through Mt. Lady, Deku will intern under Kamui Woods (Tree Spider-man) and work on mastering Blackwhip.

NNID: jervinnectar

By the way, I just want to say that I really like the latest chapter diving into:

Spoiler:
    superhero PR by having Mt. lady teach how important interviews and super moves are for self-advertising and mass communication. This is the type of stuff a series like My Hero Academia focusing on a superhero culture world can dive into as a way to stand out from other typical superhero stories. I wonder if Shoto and Bakugo's interview is building up to anything long-term like Bakugo getting kidnapped by the League of Villains.

I actually wouldn't mind a whole short arc about this kind of thing like the Bakugo and Shoto remedial license exam, but it seems like it's being used as a shortcut to a second internship arc. If we're going that route, I just really REALLY hope that there will be interesting untapped superhero career worldbuilding aspects to this arc compared to the first only being a rescue mission gauntlet against criminals.

And being better written than that first internship arc to begin with lol. Although I wonder if new internships can connect to the Paranormals, especially if Tokoyami interns for Hawks again and gets tied into that whole double agent plotline.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    The saving grace for me is Deku should probably never be as strong as All Might with his basic quirk. The fact he should have to concentrate on multiple quirks alone should mean he won't be able to dedicate himself to completely max out either one of them.
    Fact there are so many quirks means Deku should with time create his own style, complemented with different abilities, so that he may be at All Might's level, but with multiple quirks instead of one. But what is the point of them then?

Well it really all depends if Horikoshi goes with "Jack of all trades, master of none" principle.
    I would actually REALLY like that. But I don't think Horikoshi is going to be able to resist making Deku 100% everything and become the most powerful character ever Naruto-style after how he ditched a perfectly good opportunity for a team-up in favor of 100% Deku + Eri in the Overhaul arc finale.

Not to mention that this manga doesn't really commit to any of its supposed consequences outside of All-Might's retirement and Shigaraki's rise to power, which are both obvious familiar shonen tropes. And I mention this because the only reason I can see Deku not being able to master One for All is because his body is too damaged to withstand it without help from someone like Eri. Which I don't see happening considering how early Horikoshi pulled that card so early in the story like I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    ^ Yeah. That's why I think...
    Spoiler:
    Through Mt. Lady, Deku will intern under Kamui Woods (Tree Spider-man) and work on mastering Blackwhip.
    Spoiler:
    I would like this a lot, especially since I have always liked Kamui's design and it would be a neat way to make the first chapter feel like it was building up to something even if it wasn't planned that far ahead.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Aw I was enjoying the villians arc so much, why do we have to go back to these boring heros. All they ever do is...wait is that Mt. Lady? Oh, that'll do just fine then. Hooray U.A!

Fun chapter, but I wonder if it'll play into the next arc at all, besides the foreshowing at the end. Also, and this is just me, but I wouldn't worry about Deku's quirks until they actually happen. Right now all we know about it Black Whip, and that just seems like a quirk made so Hori can make Deku feel swing around like Spider-man without getting sued by Marvel. The rest of those quirks might end up being the author using ideas for Deku instead of last-second powerups. He has a habit of foreshadowing Deku's new powers through training ahead of time (I mean, we saw Deku learn how to kick before he actually started using it like normal), so I don't see why that would change now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Spoiler:
    People are noticing that Kaminari's doing what looks like the League's gang sign.

Spoiler:
    Yeah, was that hand symbol ever made public? Cause unless that's a coincidence that seem pretty damning.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    By the way, I just want to say that I really like the latest chapter diving into:

Spoiler:
    superhero PR by having Mt. lady teach how important interviews and super moves are for self-advertising and mass communication. This is the type of stuff a series like My Hero Academia focusing on a superhero culture world can dive into as a way to stand out from other typical superhero stories. I wonder if Shoto and Bakugo's interview is building up to anything long-term like Bakugo getting kidnapped by the League of Villains.

I actually wouldn't mind a whole short arc about this kind of thing like the Bakugo and Shoto remedial license exam, but it seems like it's being used as a shortcut to a second internship arc. If we're going that route, I just really REALLY hope that there will be interesting untapped superhero career worldbuilding aspects to this arc compared to the first only being a rescue mission gauntlet against criminals.

And being better written than that first internship arc to begin with lol. Although I wonder if new internships can connect to the Paranormals, especially if Tokoyami interns for Hawks again and gets tied into that whole double agent plotline.

I would actually REALLY like that. But I don't think Horikoshi is going to be able to resist making Deku 100% everything and become the most powerful character ever Naruto-style after how he ditched a perfectly good opportunity for a team-up in favor of 100% Deku + Eri in the Overhaul arc finale.

Not to mention that this manga doesn't really commit to any of its supposed consequences outside of All-Might's retirement and Shigaraki's rise to power, which are both obvious familiar shonen tropes. And I mention this because the only reason I can see Deku not being able to master One for All is because his body is too damaged to withstand it without help from someone like Eri. Which I don't see happening considering how early Horikoshi pulled that card so early in the story like I mentioned above.

Spoiler:
    I would like this a lot, especially since I have always liked Kamui's design and it would be a neat way to make the first chapter feel like it was building up to something even if it wasn't planned that far ahead.
    Spoiler:
    One way to diminish the overpoweredness of the ability is if deku can only use 1 quirk at a time.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Spoiler:
    One way to diminish the overpoweredness of the ability is if deku can only use 1 quirk at a time.
    Spoiler:
    He probably won't be able to use multiple at once. At first.

I suppose learning how to deal with a quirk that damages your body gave him a solid groundwork on how to approach any new ability. Slow is fast, like they say. And some of the abilities might be more on the utility side. Sensory boosts etc. It really seems like it will be up to Deku's own mental capacity. And AFO couldn't juggle multiple abilities, so we have an example already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Hero career world building would be fun but we just got an arc where the villains are going to destroy that world. So it seems poorly timed and pointless. Unless he shows the bad side to the hero society but from the heros perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by themick View Post
    Hero career world building would be fun but we just got an arc where the villains are going to destroy that world. So it seems poorly timed and pointless. Unless he shows the bad side to the hero society but from the heros perspective.
    While that is possible in the future, I don't see it happening soon in the slightest though. That is endgame saga or post-timeskip material, not something you throw out before the second high school year. Shigaraki getting an army doesn't automatically mean that hero society is going to crumble just yet. Like typical supervillain routine, they need time to make plans and maybe pull a small stunt or two to set up a huge scheme.

The worst thing for Shigaraki, and by extension Horikoshi's writing, to do with the Paranormals is to have them quickly announce their presence to the world despite just recently covering up a town's destruction and already having their villainous tentacles ensnared around the media to subtly manipulate it to their advantage. I would argue that their greatest advantage right now is not even their numbers/strength but the fact that the public has no idea they exist yet, which has a lot of unique future suspense and tension potential that does not have to dial everything to 11 to top itself immediately. Not to mention it would make Hawks' double agent infiltration lose a lot more narrative purpose for the villains to show their cards so early.

Have the heroes investigate to find out what Shigaraki is up to piece by piece while we the audience are kept in suspense instead of just having the heroes react to them.

That and after having such a long villain-centric arc, along with Horikoshi's usual style of hopping from school arc to villain arc to repeat, it makes sense for this arc to be somewhat a breather as we get reaccustomed to the heroes' perspectives and the world's status quo again, especially before big changes happen afterwards so the stakes and plot transition feel all the more impactful. Especially after how dark the flashbacks were, so we're sure for at least some lighthearted storytelling as a palate cleanser to balance the manga's tone and make the dark moments feel more special instead of predictable or dare I say even repetitive.

And I'm always game for showing more hero society flaws. Especially front and center in an arc plotline instead of only being a cool worldbuilding detail that will only get introduced/referenced once in a blue moon or foreshadow a big development years later.

Spoiler:

While that is possible in the future, I don't see it happening soon in the slightest though. That is endgame saga or post-timeskip material, not something you throw out before the second high school year. Shigaraki getting an army doesn't automatically mean that hero society is going to crumble just yet. Like typical supervillain routine, they need time to make plans and maybe pull a small stunt or two to set up a huge scheme.

The worst thing for Shigaraki, and by extension Horikoshi's writing, to do with the Paranormals is to have them quickly announce their presence to the world despite just recently covering up a town's destruction and already having their villainous tentacles ensnared around the media to subtly manipulate it to their advantage. I would argue that their greatest advantage right now is not even their numbers/strength but the fact that the public has no idea they exist yet, which has a lot of unique future suspense and tension potential that does not have to dial everything to 11 to top itself immediately. Not to mention it would make Hawks' double agent infiltration lose a lot more narrative purpose for the villains to show their cards so early.

Have the heroes investigate to find out what Shigaraki is up to piece by piece while we the audience are kept in suspense instead of just having the heroes react to them.

That and after having such a long villain-centric arc, along with Horikoshi's usual style of hopping from school arc to villain arc to repeat, it makes sense for this arc to be somewhat a breather as we get reaccustomed to the heroes' perspectives and the world's status quo again, especially before big changes happen afterwards so the stakes and plot transition feel all the more impactful. Especially after how dark the flashbacks were, so we're sure for at least some lighthearted storytelling as a palate cleanser to balance the manga's tone and make the dark moments feel more special instead of predictable or dare I say even repetitive.

And I'm always game for showing more hero society flaws. Especially front and center in an arc plotline instead of only being a cool worldbuilding detail that will only get introduced/referenced once in a blue moon or foreshadow a big development years later.
    I enjoy the hero world building and I really enjoy the in between change of pace, slice of life chapters.

The UA kids shouldn't be a threat to the paranormals for a few years, so feels too early for them to be introduced. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by themick View Post
    I enjoy the hero world building and I really enjoy the in between change of pace, slice of life chapters.

The UA kids shouldn't be a threat to the paranormals for a few years, so feels too early for them to be introduced. Just my opinion.
    Same.

Don't worry, I feel where you're coming from. Although traditional shonen new generation of prodigies tropes and the series being called My Hero Academia dictates that this entire manga's going to take place in the span of three years. Maybe a little bit afterwards during the final arcs, but not more than that.

I do think it is important to note that the League of Villains was doing a decent job handling the whole Liberation Army horde while stalling for Gigantomachia until Shigaraki wrecked everything. Given how Deku is inevitably going to be Amalgam Spider-Boy power-wise and Eri's power to reverse things is clearly the perfect Quirk to counter Shigaraki's decay with enough training, I think Horikoshi can make this work out with enough clever writing. The only factors I'm worried about are how many High Noumus there are (which can be handled easily if there are only a handful of them and they can't all be awoken at once) and if Horikoshi has the restraint to prioritize teamwork over Deku outshining everyone all the time like in the Overhaul arc finale.

Spoiler:

Same.

Don't worry, I feel where you're coming from. Although traditional shonen new generation of prodigies tropes and the series being called My Hero Academia dictates that this entire manga's going to take place in the span of three years. Maybe a little bit afterwards during the final arcs, but not more than that.

I do think it is important to note that the League of Villains was doing a decent job handling the whole Liberation Army horde while stalling for Gigantomachia until Shigaraki wrecked everything. Given how Deku is inevitably going to be Amalgam Spider-Boy power-wise and Eri's power to reverse things is clearly the perfect Quirk to counter Shigaraki's decay with enough training, I think Horikoshi can make this work out with enough clever writing. The only factors I'm worried about are how many High Noumus there are (which can be handled easily if there are only a handful of them and they can't all be awoken at once) and if Horikoshi has the restraint to prioritize teamwork over Deku outshining everyone all the time like in the Overhaul arc finale.

Yea I know alot have the young generation trope but I feel like MHA hasn't really emphasized that aspect. Isn't hawks like a big deal for being so high rated yet so young, and hes like 23 or so right?

I agree that LoV wrecked the MLA. That is a problem imo. Because now they are even stronger after that fight.

I think the story has gotten too big to fast. But I really hope he able to tie it together well. Maybe there will be a productive time skip.

>LoV wrecked the MLA

Spoiler:

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information