+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Witch Hat Atelier

Default Re: Witch Hat Atelier

Curiouser and curiouser . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    Is the ban on witch doctors somehow related to the story of the brimhats group? Maybe...
    I believe it was an indication. Brimhats love banned magic, and immortality would certainly be included in that. But what's furious about it is that all medical magic is now banned because of a few assholes who were experimenting with immortality. So much for helping people . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Curiouser and curiouser . . .

I believe it was an indication. Brimhats love banned magic, and immortality would certainly be included in that. But what's furious about it is that all medical magic is now banned because of a few assholes who were experimenting with immortality. So much for helping people . . .
    The thing is that right now we don't know for sure who are the good guys and who are the bad ones... I mean, if the brim hats are the true heroes, having a sole witch doctor in the supposedly good guys town would make sense. So many possible developments...

I don't think we can call the Brim Hats TRUE heroes when they do stuff like curse poor little boys. But there may be more virtuous incentive among them, if not forgotten.

I had mixed feelings about it. Naturally I dislike characters who curse little childs. But there are things that doesn't smell good in a world where a cute little kid is forbiden to do magic because she didn't born a witch and in which she lost her mom for following her natural curiosity and wish. Something is wrong with the state of things here.

In many stories the bad guy turns good and also the good guy happens to be a bad one. That kind of plot can be nice, but I agree with you that if it's not done properly it can effect a naturalization of horrible behaviour which is not nice.

That said, in this case what grabs my attention here is the prometheus archetype: the guy who stole the divine secrets and is cursed by the god/good guys/society for that; but in the end his robbery pulls humanity to the next level (and the good guys happen to be conservative/retrograde/in the end evil). Will the secret behind Coco's mom curse be the key to a new and better world for everyone, even if it's against the current good guys rules? I wonder...
    Last edited by Ukimix; June 25th, 2019 at 05:00 AM.

I hate when translators keep japanese exclusive speech patterns and expressions (like this "ara ara ara" or Riché talking on the third person - in japanese it makes her sound really childish, in any other language she sounds like... impaired), but damn the chapter itself was everything I love about this manga. The bit about medicine x witchcraft is exactly the sort of interactions I look forwards when stories introduce a fictional element on society - and is also a very bold move by the mangaka, as she basically just cut herself from the easy way out of every dangerous situation when every witch would just magically heal any damage.

They could have easily replaced "ara ara ara" with something like "Oh my my my" and gotten the meaning across.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/650744
    Future Coco meets past Coco

I like the sage guy. He also seems to have some relation to Qifrey, either being a relative or perhaps Qifrey's teacher. The new test sounds pretty interesting too and will be a good way to just have a bunch of interesting magic done since they're trying to impress him/catch him off guard.

That's the best kind of School Principal.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/682948/1
    Some more divide among the witches, exploring the Assembly, and looks like we're going to get more stuff with Agathe soon.

Agathection your tsutsun is showing.

So glad that dickhead of a teacher got what was coming to him.

Since his apprentice health is first, I will fire him and give him some penalty...

https://mangadex.org/chapter/715485/1

Tetia and Beldarut are literally the same person.

Yo Agathe stills, no dignity.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information