+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

Would actually put Heavensward and Stormbringers in contention for my favorite FFs now.

It's probably easier to list the games that never crack favorite lists, which would be 2, 13, and probably 15? For being a "series" with a certain set of tropes, it's pretty diverse, with almost every game having its hardcore defenders.

I liked 10 and 10-2, Liked XII to an extent (thought the battle system was iffy though).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I think 7 had the luck of being the first 3D game and with 8 later on not being as good.

That may or not have impacted of how much expectations people would have with 9.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I liked 10 and 10-2, Liked XII to an extent (thought the battle system was iffy though).
    The License System on XII was fine as long you know what sort build you want to your character.

But the Sphere Grid system from X can go straight down a Malboro's throat.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post

The License System on XII was fine as long you know what sort build you want to your character.
    I had no issues with the license system but I like to think I probably did some weird shit with some characters. I know for a fact that when I got to the end of the game I was under leveled.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Well, while we're at it...

FFI - Played the GBA remake. 'Twas good.
    FFII - Played the GBA remake. 'Twas pretty bad.
    FFIII - Played the DS remake. Not bad, but kinda forgettable
    FFIV - Played the GBA remake. It's great. I suppose you could call this the first "fully realized" FF with an epic story and defined characters. A personal favorite.
    FFV - Played the GBA remake. Don't know if I liked it as much as IV, but this was still a pretty cool game.
    FFVI - Played the GBA remake. I have to agree that this is one of, if not the best FF game ever made. Probably my favorite.
    FFVII - A bit overrated, yeah, but I still thought it was cool. Mostly lived up to the hype, but not my personal favorite.
    FFVIII - This one gets a lot of hate, but I thought it was fine. The junctioning system didn't really bother me.
    FFIX - Took me a while to warm up to it, but yeah, this is a great game. One of the best.
    FFX - Again, gets a lot of hate, but I liked it. I'll admit that the story sucks, but I thought the gameplay was fun.
    FFX-2 - Good...I guess.
    FFXI - Not sure if you even want to count this since it's an MMORPG, but...I haven't played it anyway.
    FFXII - Hardly even a FF game at this point, but I still liked it for what it was.
    FFXIII - Haven't played and have no real desire to.
    FFXIV - ibid
    FFXV - ibid

I liked both the sphere grid and the dressphere. A little less J-pop (or a ton more, like customization of each class dress or something) would have made the dressphere system glorious.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I feel like at this point "6 is the best one!" Is a sort of knee-jerk reaction akin to "Citizen Kane is the best movie".

(not that people don't legitimately like it of course)
    Well, if you're going to pull out Citizen Kane, then yeah. When it was made, what it was made with, and the fact that no one had done anything like it before ARE factors to take into consideration. Take for instance that insane amazing opera sequence on the Super Nintendo, the ambition and scope and insanity of doing it on a thing that could only put out midis, on chibi sprite pixel graphics, and its a true amazing feat of wonder. Do the same thing as pre-rendered FMV on the PS1 with an actual singer recorded doing the lines, and it might be technically superior, but it also means less and loses a lot of the ambition and the heart, even if its technically vetter on an audio visual level.

Same with other aspects like Kefka's iconic laugh, or that one of the characters had street fighter controls, or that you drove around in a mech suit.

FF6 might not be *the* best in all areas. But when you count when it was made and what it did and what it set the precedents for, the number of characters it had, the music, the overall gaemplay, how well the dungeons distributed their loot, that puts it over the top.

If you play FF6 for the first time today almost 25 years later it might not 100% hold up, but its legacy IS part of it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I hated 10 but really enjoyed X-2. It was super dumb but the job system was fantastic and the characters had fun, and that goes a long way in an rpg.

An RPG needs
    -good characters
    -good story
    -good combat

If it has 2 out 3 it'll generally be fine and flaws in the other category can be overlooked if it excels enough. I love the Star Ocean games but the story is crap. But if it has all three, it can be fantastic.
    Last edited by Robby; September 23rd, 2019 at 07:06 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The only thing that could've made X-2 better is them not simulating Blitzball and making the alternate ending easy to mess the steps up for to unlock.

Discovered Stowaway

Anyone played World of Final Fantasy? I feel like there were still a lot of Mirages that could have been used but just weren't and it's a little disappointing. Would have been fun to have a Shumi/Moomba/Elder line from Final Fantasy VIII. Even the Maxima version that was released doesn't seem to have that much more and all the new Mirages they added in DLC are just palette swaps of existing ones. If they fixed the ridiculous randomness of the minigames I might go for it but if it's still impossible to hit the Cactuar and that Minesweep rip-off still relies entirely on luck, I'm not spending the money on it.

Discovered Stowaway

Anyone played World of Final Fantasy? I feel like there were still a lot of Mirages that could have been used but just weren't and it's a little disappointing. Would have been fun to have a Shumi/Moomba/Elder line from Final Fantasy VIII. Even the Shoat/Catoblepas has appeared in multiple games and deserved a Mirage. It also seems like the Maxima version that was released doesn't seem to have that much more and all the new Mirages they added in DLC are just palette swaps of existing ones. If they fixed the ridiculous randomness of the minigames I might go for it but if it's still impossible to hit the Cactuar and that Minesweep rip-off still relies entirely on luck, I'm not spending the money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, if you're going to pull out Citizen Kane, then yeah. When it was made, what it was made with, and the fact that no one had done anything like it before ARE factors to take into consideration. Take for instance that insane amazing opera sequence on the Super Nintendo, the ambition and scope and insanity of doing it on a thing that could only put out midis, on chibi sprite pixel graphics, and its a true amazing feat of wonder. Do the same thing as pre-rendered FMV on the PS1 with an actual singer recorded doing the lines, and it might be technically superior, but it also means less and loses a lot of the ambition and the heart, even if its technically vetter on an audio visual level.

Same with other aspects like Kefka's iconic laugh, or that one of the characters had street fighter controls, or that you drove around in a mech suit.

FF6 might not be *the* best in all areas. But when you count when it was made and what it did and what it set the precedents for, the number of characters it had, the music, the overall gaemplay, how well the dungeons distributed their loot, that puts it over the top.

If you play FF6 for the first time today almost 25 years later it might not 100% hold up, but its legacy IS part of it.
    But you could say almost the same exact thing for FFVII, which was also an extremely boundary-pushing, technical marvel. For many, FFVII completely blew their minds in terms of what videogames could even be, and in terms of sheer impact it was meteoric (pun intended). And by the same logic, you could argue that FF1 was even more groundbreaking and impactful because it spawned the franchise. But using “impact” and “novelty” and adjusting for time of release in order to somehow determine an objective “official best” piece of entertainment ignores stuff like pacing, tone, themes, narrative, art direction and gameplay which are even harder, if not impossible, to rank objectively. And that’s if we assume that those things even matter equally to everyone.
    Like, I personally have a bunch of problems with VI. I don’t care about a good deal of the massive cast. The gameplay is extremely repetitive before Magicite is introduced, and Magicite itself incentivizes homogenization of your characters. The comparatively muted presentation makes the transition to the world of ruin feel less impactful, which is compounded by the narrative lack of urgency; pacing-wise the party is scattered immediately after being fully assembled for the first time, and theres’ no momentum building towards the final battle with Kefka.
    But others may disagree with this, or not care, or agree but like these things, because what they want from the games in the first place might be radically different from myself.

You can see this in the rankings of gaming websites, where XII can jump from mid-tier placement to #2, one site has IX as the best, and one sites have X. In western media FFVI does get a fair share of number 1 spots, often lauded for its achievements, or the writers personal history with it.
    On the flip side, in terms of public pools FFVII is pretty ubiquitously number 1, and when I browsed through reddit and a few gaming sites it also tended to drift to the top of peoples’ final fantasy and all-time gaming lists.
    In Japan 2006 Famitsu poll ranked FF X, VII, IV, III, V, VIII and IX above VI, in that order. A 2017 “best RPG” pool had VII, XV, X, then VI. Another top 100 games poll from 2017 had VII, XI, XV, XIV, IX, VI.

Does this mean that FFVI is the best one becayse of critical rankings? Is FFVII is the “objective best” one due to popular opinion? Or is that IX, which series stalwarts Sakaguchi and Uematsu have both listed as their favourite? Of course not.

In short, considering that most of the games in this series are high-quality standalone experiences that sometimes strive for very different tones, gameplay styles and more, I don’t you could posit any game as the “definitive, objective best” .

Anyway, heres my personal ranking
    IX
    V or VII depending on if I’m in a gameplay or story mood
    X
    IV
    X-2
    VI or VIII
    III
    XII

And this is the order I played them in: FFVII, VIII, IX, X, IV, V, VI, X-2, XII, III.

Ironically, for me VI was the victim of excessive hype, not VII. I played the SNES ports of IV-VI, plowing through the first two in order to get to the supposed best in the series, and wound up loving zero-expectations V wayyyy more.

FFI and FFT bored me, so I never beat them.

What about Crisis Core?
    Type-0?
    The Final Fantasy Universe is so broad and has a whole bunch of storylines that it is pretty tough to make objective comparisons because similar they might seem but in the end not really.
    Something special to one might not even be of consideration for others.
    But objectively speaking , VII managed to lined up a lot of elements that created a huge popularity boom.
    You can't really do that if the game wasn't able to stand out from the previous titles.
    Sure, 3d was a thing and a valid reason and so was the company banking everything they had on it.
    But that's hardly enough to discount the other stuff that made the game great.

Putting that into perspective, because a single game out of the series did that one thing right doesnt mean it's somehow in another league
    because "normies don't get it" nor does it excuse the other shit parts of it.
    Yes FFT had a dark story, pretty good writing but christ was it boring and disengaging at certain points.

VII checked a lot of boxes and that shows. It's a case where the fanbase is more than justified to call it the best.

I don't care how much people crap on it, I freaking love playing Final Fantasy VII to this day, and I didn't first try it until the mid 2000s, and it wasn't my first Final Fantasy or RPG. It just has the perfect mix of great characters, memorable locations, a badass and unique villain, a unique and thrilling story, and a pretty fun battle system. I like 6, but Chrono Trigger is the definitive SNES RPG for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information