+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek... directed by Quentin Tarantino and rated R?!?

Default Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
    I can't think of a commercial in recent memory that confused me more
    What was confusing about it?

What was supposed to be funny about it, what type of preexisting relationship were they supposed to have, was nemoy's car supposed to be featured as prominently as it was, and they were advertising that Audi right because I know they showed the logo at the end but the commercial didn't make me give a damn about the car.
    http://w11.zetaboards.com/OnePieceNewWorld/index/

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    Let's just be honest here: The Watchmen movie was a complete and utter, extremely boring, blue man penis filled abomination.
    And I don't even feel this way, it's just a hilarious quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
    What was supposed to be funny about it, what type of preexisting relationship were they supposed to have,
    It's really not that important and, for the purposes of the commercial, pretty easy to figure out. They both played Spock and have a friendly, if fabricated, rivalry.

was nemoy's car supposed to be featured as prominently as it was
    It's product B. You know, the supposed inferior product to make the product they're selling look good.

and they were advertising that Audi right because I know they showed the logo at the end but the commercial didn't make me give a damn about the car.
    If all the gadgets Quinto was using didn't for you, fine. Aside from that, this is an approach a lot of commercials have used for quite a while now. Rather than outright advertising their product, they use a more subtle approach and create funny, touching, or otherwise emotional scene that people will remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    It's really not that important and, for the purposes of the commercial, pretty easy to figure out. They both played Spock and have a friendly, if fabricated, rivalry.

It's product B. You know, the supposed inferior product to make the product they're selling look good.

If all the gadgets Quinto was using didn't for you, fine. Aside from that, this is an approach a lot of commercials have used for quite a while now. Rather than outright advertising their product, they use a more subtle approach and create funny, touching, or otherwise emotional scene that people will remember.
    I guess the key word there is subtle. It was too subtle for me. Seeing them both together made me think more about the new Star Trek than the car. And the fact that the secondary car honestly looked pretty good itself. I counted 2 gadgets that Zachary had that nemoy didn't and they both had in car phone cabablities which I don't think is standard in all cars. I think i was expecting a star trek commercial so when they atarted focusing on the car and it wasn't obvious it just threw me off rather than draw me in, then i spent the rest of the commercial trying to get back on track but failed. Maybe if I rematch it a couple more times it'll grow on me. As entertainment goes it was great seeing them together, as far as selling a car to me though *blows raspberry*
    http://w11.zetaboards.com/OnePieceNewWorld/index/

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    Let's just be honest here: The Watchmen movie was a complete and utter, extremely boring, blue man penis filled abomination.
    And I don't even feel this way, it's just a hilarious quote.

They were trying to sell a car? Oh yeah, right.

Yeah, I think maybe being old helps in getting the humor a bit. :P

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

i saw this movie today

basically there was outer space all over the place and they were flying around where there aint no sound

Just saw it. I thought it was fantastic.

Saw it today, all I have to say about it is

Spoiler:

KAAAAAHNNN!!!

Really enjoyed it though!

I'm standing by my stance of I absolutely hated the first one and all the stupid and plotholes in it, and will not be seeing this one.

Everyone else enjoy it though.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    I'm standing by my stance of I absolutely hated the first one and all the stupid and plotholes in it, and will not be seeing this one.

Everyone else enjoy it though.
    If you hated the first one, you will absolutely loath this one.

This movie was a piece of shit. I'm not a Trekkie and I was offended by how much they shamelessly exploited Star Trek. I have literally never left a movie theater so angry before.

*shrug* I think trying to associate this in any way with the original Star Trek is a mistake. It's a complete re-imagining. And a summer blockbuster. You have to be able to accept that if you're going to see this. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and I will probably see Into Darkness soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Lion-chan View Post
    If you hated the first one, you will absolutely loath this one.
    Yeah it was basically the exact same thing as the last movie in tone and style

I was basically apathetic

I just remember grimacing really hard when You Know Who screams You Know What like god that was awkward

I thought the first one was alright as I walked in with the expectation of Starship Troopers with more starship scenes than a Star Trek movie. It's sort of a guilty pleasure that an audience like me is a hardcore Trekkie's largest offender.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Yeah it was basically the exact same thing as the last movie in tone and style

I was basically apathetic

I just remember grimacing really hard when You Know Who screams You Know What like god that was awkward
    It was way worse than the first one. At least the first one had likable characters and some fun to it.

This one was trying so hard to be dramatic, the characters were being complete bitches to each other, the writing was horrendously bad (even for popcorn films, there are limits), like nonsensical plot threads that didn't go anywhere, plotholes galore, stupidly overly indulgent action scenes that shatter any form of suspension of disbelief.

And when it got to THAT scene, I was infuriated, I was literally throwing my popcorn at the screen. It's a good thing there were only a couple of people at my showing.

Discovered Stowaway

The first one's plotholes were way worse than the ones in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    *shrug* I think trying to associate this in any way with the original Star Trek is a mistake.
    Other than the fact the titles, characters, and worldbuilding are taken whole cloth from the old? And the entire output of the franchise is dedicated to this particular version of the product?

Or that when all is said and done it'll be pretty much the only representation Trek has for a solid decade?

It's a complete re-imagining.
    Then why not just call it something new if its entirely new?

And a summer blockbuster.
    I hear that argument all the time and its awful. "Its fun if you turn your brain off" "It's ____ franchise, what did you expect?" "It's fine while you watch it." "It's a summer blockbuster."

It's stupid and an asinine excuse and I hate it when anyone uses it to defend a movie being stupid but full of explosions, as if Jaws, Alien, Terminator, the first two star wars films, most Bond films, Jurassic Park, Dark Knight, etc. etc. didn't exist. (And I don't even like Jurassic Park or Dark Knight)

Especially horrible when asked about something like Transformers or G.I. Joe or Ninja Turtles, and asked "What did you expect based off an 80's cartoon?" when I can respond with "Beast Wars, Armada, Prime, the 80's comics, and Iron Man." Other iterations from teh same franchise that are smart, with good characters and decent plots. (Or in Iron Man's case, Robert Downey Jr. throwing in his charisma to balance out the robot action.)

It's even worse when applied to Trek which has ALWAYS been considered a smart show.

You can stretch credibility without being dumb or insulting or lacking in internal cohesion. But when you absolutely *have* to stop thinking about it in order to go with the flow and enjoy it? When it absolutely won't hold up to a second viewing? When the characters all act like idiots and the explosions and CGI are more important than the character, the intent of the story being told?

Character, thoughtful exploration of the human condition, examinations of our times and issues? Generally being intelligent? WHILE having the occasional action set piece? (Yes, trek has had more than a few duds. It's also had about 1000 episodes and 10 movies, but it has a decent average overall.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

haha I forgot how much robby hates Abrams Star Trek

on a half detour, "turn off your brain" is a wacky phrase to me because it implies that critically evaluating or thinking about an experience has some limiting factor and does not actually increase enjoyment or understanding of something.

it seems unfair to have fun action movies and act like they're "stupid" and can't be thought about, like there's this fictituous dichotomy between "high art" movies and "low art" movies. i love watching goofy hong kong action flicks and intensely thinking about how my fun is being derived from all these different on-screen elements

of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar
    Watching a fat, egg-shaped woman fall down a waterfall.

Shatner/Kirk is a horrible captain. Just throwing that out there. Take it in.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    haha I forgot how much robby hates Abrams Star Trek

on a half detour, "turn off your brain" is a wacky phrase to me because it implies that critically evaluating or thinking about an experience has some limiting factor and does not actually increase enjoyment or understanding of something.

it seems unfair to have fun action movies and act like they're "stupid" and can't be thought about, like there's this fictituous dichotomy between "high art" movies and "low art" movies. i love watching goofy hong kong action flicks and intensely thinking about how my fun is being derived from all these different on-screen elements
    I agree for the most part.

But anyone could have gleaned as much from FS 101.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information