+ Reply to Thread
Page 935 of 935 FirstFirst ... 435 835 885 925 933 934 935
Results 18,681 to 18,691 of 18691

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Do the democrats have an offer for that rust belt voter base? Especially those who work in the coal and steel industry? Not talking about basics like medicare, but specifically an answer for those who either legitimately fear losing their job or those who already lost it?
    There's no answer that they'd like. The blunt reality is that the American coal and steel industries as we know them are gone. They're not coming back. Those who still have their jobs will probably lose them in a few years regardless of who's the in the White House. Hillary told West Virginia as much, it's why she lost the primary there.

And of course, Democrats could promise them the moon. It wouldn't matter among the white coal and steel workers because they know that non-white workers would also benefit, and that is simply not done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    I would like a source on medicare for all being the main policy issue among Democrats.
    It's a main point of contetion among those most important of Democratic voters, Extremely Online twitter pundits/failed comedians, so therefore it is in the fact the main policy issue and any candidate that does not back my exact policy preference for getting people health insurance is in fact worse than a Republican.

Also no one actually knows what Medicare does and does not cover.

Democratic impeachment holdout Jeff Van Drew planning to switch parties

Rep. Jeff Van Drew, a moderate Democrat who is strongly opposed to impeaching President Donald Trump, is expected to switch parties and become a Republican, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.
    Dammit. My state goes from turning all but one district blue to turning but the two.

Not unexpected I guess, considering his district. Just disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    Democratic impeachment holdout Jeff Van Drew planning to switch parties

Dammit. My state goes from turning all but one district blue to turning but the two.

Not unexpected I guess, considering his district. Just disappointing.
    From what I am getting at it, this guy is upset because he expected that a significant ammount of dems would oppose the impeachment because impeachments are supossed to be rare?

Does anyone have any hard evidence that the economy is not doing as well as republicans say it is? My mom is a hardcore trump supporter, and every time I try to bring up how awful and incompetent he is, she just replies with "BuT tHe EcONOmY!". I doubt I can change her mind, but I don't want to give up on her just yet. She's my mom after all.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

When people talk about democrats being naive this guy is the one who they must be talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    Does anyone have any hard evidence that the economy is not doing as well as republicans say it is? My mom is a hardcore trump supporter, and every time I try to bring up how awful and incompetent he is, she just replies with "BuT tHe EcONOmY!". I doubt I can change her mind, but I don't want to give up on her just yet. She's my mom after all.

If Republicans don't have it I can guarantee you we don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Tell your mom the economy was growing faster and added more jobs during the Obama years.

He had pretty much zero chance of surviving a primary; polls there said that almost 70% of Democrats were less likely to support him because of his stance on impeachment. Of course, he won't necessarily win a Republican primary either. Not to mention that his district will likely be pushed to the top of the list of places to be redistricted.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    Does anyone have any hard evidence that the economy is not doing as well as republicans say it is?
    The two things they quote most are the stock market and low unemployment. The latter is deceptive for several reasons.
    • The most quoted figure doesn't include people who have just given up on finding work altogether because they've been out of work so long.
    • A lot of the added jobs are low-paying with few hours or seasonal while higher paid positions are seeing layoffs or hiring freezes.
    • Announced job reports have a tendency to be quietly revised later to much lower numbers or to include tricks like counting GM workers returning from a strike as new hires,

Far as the stock market goes, a big chunk of that is from stock buybacks where a company artificially inflates its stock price by using profits to buy its own stock. So companies aren't actually investing in infrastructure or new hires or anything along those lines; that's why you have companies like McDonald's with a soaring stock but declining sales. They're pumping money into that stock rather than worrying about the longterm effects of that policy.

We're in a stock bubble again and it's only a matter of time until it pops.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll bring some of this up to her. I genuinely can't understand why she supports trumpy though...
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Trump had a message that resonated with some people.....I mean the message of course involved lies, demonizing certain groups of people, misinformation, projection etc.

All the while presenting himself as a political outsider (despite dude being a supporter of both Clintons).

Basically the bread and butter of most modern day republicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

For my co-worker whom I normally respect, she went from supporting Bernie to Trump. In part because she despises Hillary, but also because IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WALL.

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The D.
    Thanks for the help, guys. I'll bring some of this up to her. I genuinely can't understand why she supports trumpy though...
    You and I are in the same boat, D. My dad is a staunch Trump supporter despite the fact that someone like him shouldn't even BE one due to the fact that he's Ukrainian but lo and behold, he thinks Trump is the greatest president since Reagan.

And my dad is a man who had been passionate about politics if only for the fact that he wants to see it used to champion human rights for the good of all after what he had been through with the Soviet Union and the Canadian bureaucracy. But, lo and behold, he threw all that out the window for Trump and I just can't wrap my head around it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information