Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 142

Thread: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

  1. #121
    ウサギ joekido the Second's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, my kind of place to be

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Or maybe people should learn to stop being petty, awful, self serving assholes.

    I can’t recall ever in my life having so much contempt for something or someone it made me want to make threats against them or told them go kill themselves.

    You didn’t like a character or the story they’re apart of fine but there’s better ways to voice that discontent without engaging in bullshit.
    I agree with that. These harassment is so out of control. I mean I don't like what they did to the characters and story but I don't make stupid death threats. In fact I sent Druckmann a message on Instagram, I made no threats and treated him with respect while I told him I enjoyed the game. Asswits.
    Currently writing a book

    https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

  2. #122

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Or maybe people should learn to stop being petty, awful, self serving assholes.

    I can’t recall ever in my life having so much contempt for something or someone it made me want to make threats against them or told them go kill themselves.

    You didn’t like a character or the story they’re apart of fine but there’s better ways to voice that discontent without engaging in bullshit.
    I don't think there's much point in trying to reform the kinds of people who make death threats over Twitter.

  3. #123
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I really have to ask if it was necessary for her to be on Twitter in the first place.

    We keep seeing this happen and it comes across as companies putting their employees out there to shield them from abuse.

    It's not a shock that there are assholes willing to make death threats and do worse things out there... it's a certainty and apparently a workplace hazard. The company should be forced to take measures to protect employees from that, and not (as it appears to me) throw them in the path of danger solely so they can play the "our critics are evil" card whenever they release a product that people don't like.
    Um... what?? She's allowed to be on twitter - where she has been since before even the first Last of Us- and post goofy videos, or talk about animal crossing, or support the BLM moment or yes, even promote whatever work she's currently doing, as every other creative user of the platform also does, and should not be held at fault for recieving LITERAL DEATH THREATS to her and her family

    The conspiracy-theory 4D chess thinking of Naughty Dog somehow intentionally forcing her into the line of fire to disarm criticism of their blockbuster game, ignores that this supposed "intentional bait" consists entirely of Lauren Baily existing on twitter which absolutely should not warrant death threats to her and her family. Shrugging and going "thats just how the internet works, nothing to be done, better to stay off it then if you don't wants death threats, her being on twitter at all must mean the company put her there intentionally to draw out trolls" is a pretty defeatist victim-blaming attitude.

  4. #124

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  5. #125

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Um... what?? She's allowed to be on twitter - where she has been since before even the first Last of Us- and post goofy videos, or talk about animal crossing, or support the BLM moment or yes, even promote whatever work she's currently doing, as every other creative user of the platform also does, and should not be held at fault for recieving LITERAL DEATH THREATS to her and her family
    I never said she was at fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    The conspiracy-theory 4D chess thinking of Naughty Dog somehow intentionally forcing her into the line of fire to disarm criticism of their blockbuster game, ignores that this supposed "intentional bait" consists entirely of Lauren Baily existing on twitter which absolutely should not warrant death threats to her and her family.
    Oh, I agree, someone existing on Twitter does not warrant death threats, and it never did. The hundred people before her who had the exact same thing happen to them for work-related reasons didn't deserve it either, nor did the hundred people before them and the hundred people before them and the ten thousand people before them...

    It gets really frustrating when you hear the exact same story play out every few months for years and years, knowing that there are tons of other people forced to deal with the same garbage who can't leave the platform for career-related reasons.

    At some point you have to give up on the "let's blame the assholes really hard and it'll solve everything" mentality and start thinking of real solutions.

    Of course, the obvious solution is for Twitter to do something about their harassment epidemic. That would be nice.

    Until then, Twitter remains unsafe for anyone to use and a workplace hazard for public-facing employees.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Shrugging and going "thats just how the internet works, nothing to be done, better to stay off it then if you don't wants death threats,
    That's not what I'm saying at all.
    There are very specific and very reasonable things that could be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    her being on twitter at all must mean the company put her there intentionally to draw out trolls" is a pretty defeatist victim-blaming attitude.
    Well, I have to ask why this scenario always works out in the company's favor.

    Every single time, they milk the employee's misfortune for sympathy and use it to cast doubt on the validity of whatever criticism the company's receiving at the time.

    Naughty Dog obviously didn't put her there for that reason, but they almost definitely did tolerate or encourage her Twitter use and we saw them take advantage of the attacks on her.

    By this point they have to know they're allowing (and encouraging) their employees to take these risks.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; July 6th, 2020 at 09:38 AM.

  6. #126
    Whirlwind of Cabbages Yobiyopi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post

    Well, I have to ask why this scenario always works out in the company's favor.

    Every single time, they milk the employee's misfortune for sympathy and use it to cast doubt on the validity of whatever criticism the company's receiving at the time.

    Naughty Dog obviously didn't put her there for that reason, but they almost definitely did tolerate or encourage her Twitter use and we saw them take advantage of the attacks on her.

    By this point they have to know they're allowing (and encouraging) their employees to take these risks.
    It plays on people best intentions on siding with perceived victims and profiting from it. Anyone will naturally be disgusted about seeing their idols being threatened, and with internets anonymity is so easy to rack up said threats (from no names with no actual power to enact them), and even manufacture them (sometimes even caught doing so). All of this does in fact make them seem victims, despite being the actual rich and powerful entity against the poor powerless people. Any criticism is then put to the side cause the human relations gets the priority: "how can you talk about the product when the lives behind it are at stake" becomes the go to argument. Its incredibly sinister precisely because it takes advantage of the common sense of siding with who you feel being threatened, which to no one surprise is incredibly easy to manipulate at any given moment, some comments here alone overwhelmingly prove it.
    Last edited by Yobiyopi; July 7th, 2020 at 03:05 AM.

  7. #127

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    I think people giving death threats to Laura is incredibly messed up. All she did was *voice a character*, as controversial as a character can be it's never worth....that. How barbaric. :(

    Now I haven't played the series or anything like that, but the specifics of this plot came my way.
    Spoiler:
    It really does seem they didn't do a good job making Abby the more sympathetic one. Like "revenge is bad" is a really solid theme, lots of my favorite works have used it. It's all in the execution though. It's one thing to say....kill with a simple bullet shot and that's it, but beating someone with a golf club is something a lot more...savage. But again, take my opinion as you will, not suuuuper versed in LTOU lore.

  8. #128
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I never said she was at fault.
    When the first thing you do is question why she even has a twitter profile in the first place, that does kinda sound like finding her at fault? Like, what was she supposed to do, delete the profile she's had for 8 years prior to the games release, in order to pre-empt abuse?


    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Well, I have to ask why this scenario always works out in the company's favor.

    Every single time, they milk the employee's misfortune for sympathy and use it to cast doubt on the validity of whatever criticism the company's receiving at the time.

    Naughty Dog obviously didn't put her there for that reason, but they almost definitely did tolerate or encourage her Twitter use and we saw them take advantage of the attacks on her.

    By this point they have to know they're allowing (and encouraging) their employees to take these risks.
    See, here you're again attributing actual pre-planned malice on behalf on Naughty Dog because they...let Lauren Bailey continue to have the twitter profile she already had? Should companies just not allow their actors/creatives to have social media profiles? And what this does is ultimately to remove responsibility from the actual abusers, by speculating that the abuse was deliberately instigated by the Bad Company since they..."allowed" a voice actor, whom they do not "own", to be on twitter. Its a skip and a jump away from "Why was Kelly Marie Tran even on social media? I bet Rian Johnson cast her and put her on twitter specifially to set her up for abuse in order to protect his film from criticism, that bastard", which I am now depressingly certain is a serious argument someone has made.

    But beyond that: yes, it sucks that the discourse around this thing gets poisoned, and yes, Naughty Dog may ""profit"" from this in some way, but what sucks even more is that someone was subjected to completely unwarranted death threats to her and her family. But ultimately you are still free to criticize Naughty Dog and criticize the game and ALSO vehemently reject the death threats. Jim Sterling and Kotaku were both highly critical of Naughty Dog, the hype around the game, and many aspects of the game itself, and yet have no trouble also calling out the death threats. Because its a really poor look to have actual death threats levied at a voice actor and go "Why was she even on twitter? This must be deliberately orchestrated by her employer who will now get to deflect criticism of their product, that sucks" and skip the part entirely where one denounces the abusers, and shows sympathy to the abused

  9. #129

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Stuff
    There are two parties here. The person being harassed and the people doing the harassment.

    Both of them have a choice. Implying that somehow one side is forcing the other to open up their laptop/computer/cellphone, navigate to twitter, login to their account and THEN being forced, at a gunpoint, to listen to them is pretty damn stupid.

    I'm guessing that because it's 2020, people shouldn't have any level of self-awareness and responsibility and the situation can be just blamed on those stupid bullies.

    thats just how the internet works, nothing to be done, better to stay off it then if you don't wants death threats, her being on twitter at all must mean the company put her there intentionally to draw out trolls
    That's the way it is.

    Like there is nothing more retarded than having to read through this level of bullshit from people who can't/haven't done jack shit when it comes to situations like these but are the first ones to yell about it like any of it matters. It doesn't. The internet is *EXACTLY* like this. Calling it bad and using stupid narrow-minded observations isn't going to help. You aren't doing anyone a favor because the death threats *STILL* exist.

    This shit will disappear in few weeks and everyone will be back to playing their games until it happens again, get pissed off for few mins in order to feel good and then once again let it disappear.

    Nothing is worst then people treating this like some philosophical debate in a class instead of actually proposing practical measures that can be taken to prevent this shit. Focus on that; the actual problem. With the very step being for the harassed person to *MAYBE* take a break from online and maybe stop giving the trolls the attention and IF THEIR LIFE'S ARE IN DANGER THAN TAKE PRECAUTIONS!

    Cyberbullying is a very serious topic. Treat it with some goddamn respect.

  10. #130
    Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    It ain't Texas, nope, not Texas.

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Get nuts or go crazy trying.


  11. #131
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    There are two parties here. The person being harassed and the people doing the harassment.

    Both of them have a choice. Implying that somehow one side is forcing the other to open up their laptop/computer/cellphone, navigate to twitter, login to their account and THEN being forced, at a gunpoint, to listen to them is pretty damn stupid.

    I'm guessing that because it's 2020, people shouldn't have any level of self-awareness and responsibility and the situation can be just blamed on those stupid bullies.
    Two parties? What the hell are you on about? This is straight up victim blaming, full stop. Ending your rant with "Treat Cyberbullying with some goddamn respect"? Well, you certainly don't seem to offer any to the person who got subjected to DEATH THREATS for inane reasons because she had the gall to check her twitter feed. If someone threatened the life of my daughter on facebook, I am as much in the wrong because I could just not have facebook!



    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    That's the way it is.

    Like there is nothing more retarded than having to read through this level of bullshit from people who can't/haven't done jack shit when it comes to situations like these but are the first ones to yell about it like any of it matters. It doesn't. The internet is *EXACTLY* like this. Calling it bad and using stupid narrow-minded observations isn't going to help. You aren't doing anyone a favor because the death threats *STILL* exist.

    This shit will disappear in few weeks and everyone will be back to playing their games until it happens again, get pissed off for few mins in order to feel good and then once again let it disappear.

    Nothing is worst then people treating this like some philosophical debate in a class instead of actually proposing practical measures that can be taken to prevent this shit. Focus on that; the actual problem. With the very step being for the harassed person to *MAYBE* take a break from online and maybe stop giving the trolls the attention and IF THEIR LIFE'S ARE IN DANGER THAN TAKE PRECAUTIONS!

    Cyberbullying is a very serious topic. Treat it with some goddamn respect.
    I would think that spreading the word of the event and expressing my profound sympathy for the affected person would consitute "treating it with respect", but you're right, I didn't post receipts of how much I've donated to anti cyberbullying initaitives or somehow immediately accrue enough personal power to imediately change twitter or the legislature. I'll make sure to get on that before making any statement for or against any topic from now on, or before sharing any news story.

    Can you please tell me what the fucking entry criteria are for BEING ALLOWED TO DISCUSS THE TOPIC OF ONLINE HARASSMENT is in the first place??? Because it seems to me that just telling people to shut up about the topic or stay offline alltogether if you're bothered about the Death Threat making trolls unless they can somehow satisfy you that they're performing appropriate activism -whatever the fuck that is, as you sure don't give any examples yourself apart from "don't look at it"- is an extremely effective way to ensure that the situation never progresses at all.

    Whereas something that might actually cause a change regarding abuse is BEING MADE AWARE THAT THE ABUSE IS HAPPENING. But that wouldn't be "respectful", I'm sure

  12. #132
    Colin Baker Apologist Mr. Zoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mobile

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    There are two parties here. The person being harassed and the people doing the harassment.

    Both of them have a choice. Implying that somehow one side is forcing the other to open up their laptop/computer/cellphone, navigate to twitter, login to their account and THEN being forced, at a gunpoint, to listen to them is pretty damn stupid.

    I'm guessing that because it's 2020, people shouldn't have any level of self-awareness and responsibility and the situation can be just blamed on those stupid bullies.



    That's the way it is.

    Like there is nothing more retarded than having to read through this level of bullshit from people who can't/haven't done jack shit when it comes to situations like these but are the first ones to yell about it like any of it matters. It doesn't. The internet is *EXACTLY* like this. Calling it bad and using stupid narrow-minded observations isn't going to help. You aren't doing anyone a favor because the death threats *STILL* exist.

    This shit will disappear in few weeks and everyone will be back to playing their games until it happens again, get pissed off for few mins in order to feel good and then once again let it disappear.

    Nothing is worst then people treating this like some philosophical debate in a class instead of actually proposing practical measures that can be taken to prevent this shit. Focus on that; the actual problem. With the very step being for the harassed person to *MAYBE* take a break from online and maybe stop giving the trolls the attention and IF THEIR LIFE'S ARE IN DANGER THAN TAKE PRECAUTIONS!

    Cyberbullying is a very serious topic. Treat it with some goddamn respect.
    Wait. So out of these two parties, you're implying the one at fault is The Harrassed, and because the internet is the way it is, she should have expected it and not be on Twitter? That we should leave these things be, because "they'll be gone in a few weeks", like that somehow makes it fine?

    Uh, how is that her fault? At all?

    This looks like some serious victim blaming. And then you choose to end with this:

    Cyberbullying is a very serious topic. Treat it with some goddamn respect.

  13. #133

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Just curious; do you know how to read? Does it look like I'm blaming the victim or is it about me stating that the victim ALSO has the POWER to IGNORE the trolls and FOCUS on her OWN well-being? Are we REALLY at the point where the victim is just a powerless person that is being forced by everyone and everything to BE on twitter, LISTEN to trolls and TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY? Like, IDK if "victim" in modern western societies are just brain-dead people who basically needs everyone around them to do stuff for them, which to me is a greater insult towards the "victim" then anything. The "victim" in this case can ALSO take the INITIATIVE to stop the entire situation from getting worst and by taking a break from the online. Because SHE IS A PERSON. AND SHIT LIKE THAT TENDS TO EFFECT PEOPLE MENTALLY.

    But here; let me ask you this instead, what is the most practical solution here? Is yelling and "ranting" about the "trolls" going to solve the issue for her? Is it going to make the death threats disappear? If not, then why are you guys passionate about it? Why not DO something about it? Instead of posting some seriously empty words that mean nothing to anyone aside from the online mob whose entire ideology revolves around whining and bitching instead of doing anything about it to make an actual difference, why not come up with an actual practical approach. IDK who you are kidding with this flowery language. We *KNOW* this shit will disappear. And will happen and everyone will be back to post their empty rants until it disappears too.

    Hana Kimura situation happened in May. Did anything change? No. Just that a person a dead and plenty of people have posted empty rants and words. Nothing really changed. Policies didn't change. People moved on from that. Because *YES* as disgusting and as stupid as that sounds, that is *EXACTLY* what happens.

    Maybe instead of living in the basement, come out to the real world and take the time to understand the situations and present things that can be done? Or is that too much of an task compare to posting lazy rants?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Two parties? What the hell are you on about? This is straight up victim blaming, full stop. Ending your rant with "Treat Cyberbullying with some goddamn respect"? Well, you certainly don't seem to offer any to the person who got subjected to DEATH THREATS for inane reasons because she had the gall to check her twitter feed. If someone threatened the life of my daughter on facebook, I am as much in the wrong because I could just not have facebook!
    Ah, so if your daughter got threatened like that then you would argue with those people in question on Facebook instead of you know making sure that A.) your daughter isn't scarred for life, B.) take precautions, C.) stop your daughter from getting on that particular site (because hey Facebook isn't needed for human survival) and multiple other things you can do to make sure that your daughter is safe and that the situation in itself doesn't get worst.

    You see, this is what being an "adult" is like. Being able to step back, leave the platform, focusing on mental health, taking safety precautions, getting authority involved if need be and being able to remove yourself from that mental torture and negativity etc.... Self-awareness is a pretty huge thing. I know that it's 2020 and self-awareness is basically non-existent but still.

    I sure as hell hope you are never put in that situation because I can totally imagine the total disregard for the actual "victim" while you play and argue some irrelevant point.

    You think you care but actually you don't. Otherwise, you wouldn't be on APforums ranting about it. You would be doing something about it. This is in a way like witnessing racism against your co-workers but instead of doing anything in the moment or in the workplace, you come to online forum to try and make it seem like you care. You don't. No amount of yelling is going to make that more obvious. Again, a novel concept in 2020 because everyone is now designed to throw empty words and not enough action to try and maybe prevent stuff like that from getting worst. But still.

    Will always be fascinated by the total disregard people have for self-awareness and self-responsibility. Just like I chose to open up my browser and come to APforums, the "victim" chose to stay on a platform where people are after her.

    And yes, ignore my words and just boil it down to victim blaming. In either-case, WHAT are you going to do about it? Let's see the actual thought-process and not the generic lazy statements that amount to nothing in the end.

  14. #134

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    When the first thing you do is question why she even has a twitter profile in the first place, that does kinda sound like finding her at fault?
    I was questioning why it was necessary for her to have a Twitter account for work. Looking at her Twitter account, it was clearly either created to help promote her and her projects or it was a personal account that got converted to a work account over time.
    She probably knew that there was a risk of harassment and abuse but felt pressured to use it for work anyway.

    That's not victim blaming, it's placing some blame on her employers and the industry itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Like, what was she supposed to do, delete the profile she's had for 8 years prior to the games release, in order to pre-empt abuse?
    I doubt she even had the option to do that if she wanted to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    See, here you're again attributing actual pre-planned malice on behalf on Naughty Dog because they...let Lauren Bailey continue to have the twitter profile she already had? Should companies just not allow their actors/creatives to have social media profiles?
    If it becomes a workplace hazard then no, companies should at least attempt to discourage their public facing employees from having work-related social media accounts on dangerous, poorly moderated platforms. They definitely shouldn't be incentivizing Twitter use as we know they do.

    Naughty Dog aren't stupid, they know the practice they're pushing employees to partake in comes with a significant risk of abuse. They just don't care, and they already get away with abusing other employees directly so why should they?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    And what this does is ultimately to remove responsibility from the actual abusers, by speculating that the abuse was deliberately instigated by the Bad Company since they..."allowed" a voice actor, whom they do not "own", to be on twitter.
    No it doesn't. Death threats and stalking can happen at any time for any reason, if there's a reason at all. No sane company would ever deliberately instigate abuse because they'd be putting themselves at risk of being sued, and because there's no need to. Given an infinite amount of time every public-facing employee is going to face horrible abuse, death threats, stalking, etc...

    That doesn't mean the people doing those things are somehow less bad.

    If a store clerk is repeatedly attacked by knife-wielding crazies and the store has no security, both the stabbers and the store owners are at fault. The owners don't get away with not having to consider the employee's safety just because stabbing people is bad and the people who did it are also bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    But beyond that: yes, it sucks that the discourse around this thing gets poisoned, and yes, Naughty Dog may ""profit"" from this in some way, but what sucks even more is that someone was subjected to completely unwarranted death threats to her and her family. But ultimately you are still free to criticize Naughty Dog and criticize the game and ALSO vehemently reject the death threats.
    I really shouldn't have to explain more than once that death threats are bad and the people who make them are also bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    there are assholes willing to make death threats and do worse things out there.
    It gets very tiring to have to repeatedly apologize on behalf of all Ghostbusters fans/Digimon fans/Pokemon fans/gamers/anime fans etc... for all the bad things a very small number of people did, and then be lectured about how my apology somehow wasn't good enough, or my condemnation of the bad behavior wasn't strong enough so I must secretly be in league with the bad people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Jim Sterling and Kotaku were both highly critical of Naughty Dog, the hype around the game, and many aspects of the game itself, and yet have no trouble also calling out the death threats. Because its a really poor look to have actual death threats levied at a voice actor and go "Why was she even on twitter? This must be deliberately orchestrated by her employer who will now get to deflect criticism of their product, that sucks" and skip the part entirely where one denounces the abusers, and shows sympathy to the abused
    If the abused was here I'd go out of my way to show sympathy and not share my opinions about her employer. Since she's not, a one sentence condemnation of the jerks who hurt her should be good enough. I shouldn't have to prove my non-loyalty to people who are obviously bad when I've already said that they're bad.

    Interestingly, Jim Sterling partially agreed with me that the game industry may be complicit in enabling the abuse of public-facing employees
    .
    Last edited by RoboBlue; July 7th, 2020 at 04:53 PM.

  15. #135
    Colin Baker Apologist Mr. Zoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mobile

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Just curious; do you know how to read? Does it look like I'm blaming the victim or is it about me stating that the victim ALSO has the POWER to IGNORE the trolls and FOCUS on her OWN well-being?
    Yes, I do, and what I'm reading is telling me that you're looking to blame the victim. Because you boil it down to "Well, that's just how this world is. *shrug* She should take precautions and not expose herself on Twitter." Which isn't the way I see the problem: The people sending hateful messages shouldn't send them to her. She shouldn't have to be the one who has to readjust her choices.

    Are we REALLY at the point where the victim is just a powerless person that is being forced by everyone and everything to BE on twitter, LISTEN to trolls and TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY? Like, IDK if "victim" in modern western societies are just brain-dead people who basically needs everyone around them to do stuff for them, which to me is a greater insult towards the "victim" then anything. The "victim" in this case can ALSO take the INITIATIVE to stop the entire situation from getting worst and by taking a break from the online. Because SHE IS A PERSON. AND SHIT LIKE THAT TENDS TO EFFECT PEOPLE MENTALLY.
    Oh I agree, this stuff will take a toll on her and she should take good care of herself in the wake of this crap, but look at it in a different way: Instead of her having to take time for self-care, the people shouldn't have been sending her these threats in the first place. This isn't her fault. If they didn't send these threats, she wouldn't have to take this extra care for herself.

    Why not DO something about it? Instead of posting some seriously empty words that mean nothing to anyone aside from the online mob whose entire ideology revolves around whining and bitching instead of doing anything about it to make an actual difference, why not come up with an actual practical approach. IDK who you are kidding with this flowery language. We *KNOW* this shit will disappear. And will happen and everyone will be back to post their empty rants until it disappears too.
    People can do both. Uh, what flowery language are you referring to? I felt my post was too the point and not sugar coating anything. Practical actions we can do are:
    Condemn the action of the people sending these death threats. Tell people you find these things disgusting. And sure, I can't do a lot of work towards the people who actually sent them, I don't have ways of finding out who they are, but I don't find their actions acceptable. So I'll do my part when I can. Taking the stance that the world is just ugly and nothing can be done is counterproductive.
    Your writing and arguments very much come across as victim blaming. What has she done to deserve any of this?

    Maybe instead of living in the basement, come out to the real world and take the time to understand the situations and present things that can be done? Or is that too much of an task compare to posting lazy rants?
    Uhhh I do? I do my part in things that I can. Since you keep asking what we do, coincidentally enough, I work at a victim service agency to address issues of violence and abuse against victims.

    Why do you think insulting tones make your points stronger or more compelling?

    They don't.

  16. #136

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Just curious; do you know how to read?.
    Hey.

    You're being INCREDIBLY rude and insulting. This isn't the first time or the first thread.

    Stop that.

    This is an official public mod warning.


    Everyone else, drop the topic and chill for a while, or the thread is just gonna be closed.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  17. #137
    Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    It ain't Texas, nope, not Texas.

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Mmm better get this one in then, one of my fave reviewers from the MLP days. His opinion of course, so take it with a grain of salt.

    Get nuts or go crazy trying.


  18. #138

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Does it look like I'm blaming the victim
    Yes, that is what it looks like.
    Last edited by Huschel; July 8th, 2020 at 04:34 AM. Reason: But I haven't played TLOU2, so I don't think I am allowed to post in this thread
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:


  19. #139
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    I can only think of three possible solutions to online harassment as it is now.
    1. Change the hearts of people, which is the least likely thing to happen in most people today's lifetimes.
    2. Prosecute people, which is difficult given all the privacy options on the internet. (which I support).
    3. Either change twitter to, or create a social media space that doesn't allow anonymous, fake, or even joke profiles. If you have to be yourself then you'll have to be fully accountable for the things you say and can be shamed/prosecuted for them. Anonymity makes it too easy to say outrageous things to people. As twitter is now, I can create a profile specifically for harassment in less than a minute pretty easily. I'm a huge supporter of free speech, but I believe that anonymous speech is only necessary in pretty specific situations, like for whistle blowers or to give feedback. `

  20. #140

    Default Re: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    The people sending hateful messages shouldn't send them to her
    I'm sorry but this is by far the most naive thing I have ever read.

    People shouldn't send hateful messages? No shit. Are you under the impression that saying so will somehow get the trolls to stop? Like really?

    You see racism going on in front of you. You do nothing. You came up with no solutions to that. You then go to online forums and say "STOP IT. RACISM BAD"? That is the extend of the thought process here.

    She shouldn't have to be the one who has to readjust her choices.
    Ah, so your solution to an abusive relationship is that the person being abused shouldn't really do anything or try to change/take herself outta that situation and just wait until magically something changes one day.

    Am I correctly understanding your logic and the way you see victims?

    I mean, I thought victims had some power and can also make the changes to improve their situations. But i guess victims are just supposed to sit and hope something changes some day instead of taking the initiate to try and change it.

    I work at a victim service agency to address issues of violence and abuse against victims.
    Just curious; when someone comes to you and your organization, do you bitch to them about how the abuse/violence shouldn't happen rather than acknowledge the current situation and then move forward with how to help the person being abused?

    You should really clarify this because your posts are very inconsistent. You are trying to say one thing but end up saying something else entirely with the way you are approaching this. You are spending far too much time talking about "WHAT IF THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN" even though it clearly did and there is literally no point in talking about this like some Highschool classroom. She DID get hateful messages. She DID get death threats. Maybe focus on the now and how she can deal with it NOW instead of you know the past.

    Well, that's just how this world is. *shrug* She should take precautions and not expose herself on Twitter.
    Feel free to provide examples of how this isn't just another day on the internet. Countless examples of cyber-bullying would prove time and time again that people do this shit petty reasons or simply no reasons other than they can. That isn't rocket science. Just putting the ego aside and actually paying attention for more than 2 seconds will reveal how this IS the internet.

    But clearly you have made some special observations so feel free to share them with the rest of the class.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts