+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Voltron: Legendary Defender (new netflix series premiering June 10)

Default Re: Voltron: Legendary Defender (new netflix series premiering June 10)

Oh yeah. The guy in the chair.

Well, that was overall, far better than any reboot of Voltron had a right to be. The characters and story and animation were all solid throughout. They especially threw a crapload of animation budget at things when they got to season finale fights, some of those were super impressive. Still miss that the original theme song didn't work in any way... though they did do the occasional "dyno therms connected" and callbacks to the old show, explicitly so in the last season, but in such a way that it was never going to impede the new show. Fantastic run. Was it really 100 episodes in just a little under 3 years? Crazy.

It helps that, aside from the basic premise, they weren't beholden to the old property at all. Outside of the names of about a dozen characters and the presense of robot lions that turn into a bigger robot, there wasn't much being forced through from the old dated property. They felt free to go in many directions and do things with characters that just... didn't happen before. And they didn't feel the need to force a voltron transformation and action sequence in every single episode, and instead focused on character. (WIthout going through and doing a real count, I'd say Voltron as a full robot only appeared in maybe 20-25 of the episodes total, mostly the climactic fights)

It's not gone to the top of my favorites list, it's not the best anime, or even the best giant robot show, but it was definitely solid. A reboot absolutely 100% done right.

Can't wait to see what this studio does next. Hopefully an original property next time.

As for the actual ending? They got a little heavy on the technobabble and callbacks in the last bunch of episodes. Mighta been fine if I'd just gotten through marathoning the whole thing over a couple weeks, but over three years some of it was a little "wha? who was that? What's going on?" But overall a solid ending.
    Last edited by Robby; December 26th, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Can't wait to see what this studio does next. Hopefully an original property next time.
    Does this counts?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Does this counts?
    Video unavailable?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Video unavailable?
    Oh. I guess it's because it's not available on Canada.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a website issue. Try to see here.

Oh. I guess it's because it's not available on Canada.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a website issue. Try to see here.
    That is neat, as far as expensive 4 minute pitches go. Doesn't count till they make it an actual show though.

I like the cat.

"I wait for you, Luffy!" blackness662's Avatar

I finished the series today.
    To be short: it was a great experience, I enjoyed it much more than the original series.
    The old one was childish, this had the perfect balance of fun and drama.
    The series must be praised for its high quality art and animation, the action scenes were awesome!
    The cast and range of characters were fantastic too.

I am pretty sad about
    Spoiler:
    Allura's death, but at least it really meant something.

Shiro's thing was a bit forced, but it wasn't a big suprise after Korra's ending.

And one last thing:
    Spoiler:
    I find it a bit strange to see Lance end up alone...
    I watched Adventure Time too, and Finn had the same fate.
    Both characters voiced by Jeremy Shada.
    Interesting.
    Last edited by blackness662; December 28th, 2018 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackness662 View Post
    Shiro's thing was a bit forced, but it wasn't a big suprise after Korra's ending.
    The thing about Shiro was revealed way back in the previous season tho.

"I wait for you, Luffy!" blackness662's Avatar

The thing about Shiro was revealed way back in the previous season tho.
    Yeah, I know about that.
    That's why I said it wasn't a big suprise.
    It was forced, because no other wedding has been shown besides Shiro's.

Quote Originally Posted by blackness662 View Post
    Yeah, I know about that.
    That's why I said it wasn't a big suprise.
    It was forced, because no other wedding has been shown besides Shiro's.
    Spoiler:
    Well nobody else got married? Or seemed to wind up with anyone in general. And Shiro kinda needed a happy ending that didn't revolve around becoming commander since Voltron wasn't needed. I thought it made sense for him to have a romantic happy ending.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Finally got around to watching the final season. Didn’t realize the parallels this would have to Into the Spider Verse. Fitting given the producers are going to work on either the sequel or spinoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information