+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Default Re: Kimetsu no Yaiba

The movie has been a massive hit in Japan so far. Haven't gone yet to see it as I am a bit scared of going to cinemas but it's a bit crazy how popular it is. News are talking about it and there's Kimetsu collaborations with just about everything.

I traveled to Fukuoka recently and they were talking about a temple there called Kamado Temple, which has apparently become quite popular with people nowadays because of the movie. When I went there it was full of kids cosplaying lol

I don't think the movie is out on nyaa yet, I only brought up because it's release in Japan.
    I agree with pretty much what PatTraverse said, minus the part of Rengoku's dad, he was just pissed about discovery that all the breathing techniques were cheap imitations of Yoriichi's

I'm going to watch it in a week or two so maybe Ill drop a short writeup here.
    Or not watch it, idk, i might be a lil busy.
    Anyway all I have to say about the movie is that the theme song is really beautiful and as a Fan of the singer since her debut a decade or so ago and her very, very humble roots I shed a tear or two seeing how far she have come.

The marketing for Yaiba is off the charts in Japan.
    It's really weird because ufotable is obviously capitalising on this by making it a movie but infinity train was really..just ..an arc.
    I mean, that's really it. It never felt deserving of a movie anyway.

Can't wait to watch the movie! I was personally not a fan of the manga when I read it but then I watched the anime and it was fantastic, the quality of animation was superb

so I'm very excited for this movie

After knowing how everything plays out I really lost like...80% interest in the series. But I'm willing to watch the stuff they animated cause it's so gorgeous. And it makes the breathing techniques look interesting.

But I'm so tired of anime only fans being all oh this is the GOAT! (Same with promised neverland).

Rengoku gainden is here and will pe published together with Giyuu gaiden, together with the release of the last volume.
    https://mangadex.org/title/48759/kim...oujurou-gaiden

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Promised Neverland had an absolutely 10/10 first arc. I agree that it became progressively disappointing as it went on, but it's still a good series. Just one that started really great and became mediocre by the end. Kimetsu was just kinda nice from beginning to end. Except the last chapter. Fuck the last chapter.

To me the word I use for KnY is "solid". It doesn't go to the highs of OP nor does it suck balls like, well, a lot of shounen out there. But the art is lovely, the storyline is good, the fights are good, the demons are imaginative, the characters are lovable, it's all a solid series. Minus the final chapter, fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Rengoku gainden is here and will pe published together with Giyuu gaiden, together with the release of the last volume.
    https://mangadex.org/title/48759/kim...oujurou-gaiden
    Nice, but that many-eyed shadow dog thing is a total ripoff of Alucard from Hellsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    After knowing how everything plays out I really lost like...80% interest in the series. But I'm willing to watch the stuff they animated cause it's so gorgeous. And it makes the breathing techniques look interesting.
    Have you been spoiled accidently ?

To explain why it got so popular, it's really a Japanese thing.
    It's been a while since samurai and traditional/historical Japanese have been represented in a "down to earth"(I can't find the right word but probably not overly exaggerated/fantasized) setting.
    The last we had , off my head was Kenshin and Nura. Now I'm sure there's some nice anime out there that does this but none of them had the Jump label or the mainstream ability on them.
    I would also need another essay on why Nura failed to gather popularity.

KnY also a conventional story that doesn't try too hard to be out there, it's simple to understand for the general public and easy to relate because of how straight forward the plot and purpose is.
    The Japanese, or Asian people, tend to hold a part of their historical/traditional history close to heart.

Familial traditions being emphasized on, samuraiesque characters, swords and demons that look similar to the yokais they grew up hearing about makes this the perfect formula for success.
    Shrines can be found everywhere in Japan and they romanticised the charm of kimonos and the appearance of nobility/gracefulness in their culture.
    Understanding Japanese culture makes it easier to know why KnY, even if the plot isn't exactly mind-blowing, made it.

That, and ufotable magic helped blew this up.
    I mean I might be stretching here but really, it's ufotable seeing it's worth and going all out that made this work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Have you been spoiled accidently ?
    No. I was current with the manga. I mean that I haaaated the last arc and the ending. I was excited for the red light district arc to be animated. But I was pretty let down so the only thing getting me to watch the anime is the animation not the story.

So I just came back from the screening.

TLDR version: It's really good even if your expectations is low or that you feel like the source material wasn't that amazing.

Ufotable's adaption of the infinite train hit all the right notes. I walked in expecting the movie to be slightly above average and for the animation to carry the entire movie but man, I was blown away by the pacing, music, direction, added scenes and everything else.
    Like this is the very definition of how an anime adaption can make a source material that was rather straightforward into such a great experience.

The new scenes or lengthened moments really added a lot to the movie and didn't felt like padding.
    There's emphasis on the right moments and Ufotable clearly knows how to draw you in because the movie ended before I know it.
    You know how there's a "breather" every time you watch a movie? Well, there's hardly one in Infinite Train and usually that would be a bad thing because of pacing and you want to let the audience to lower their guard, you know all that flim study stuff.
    But because the movie is so beautiful, your mind never really wanders off.

This is just really great. The final fight was fantastic, the climax before was really well done. The brutality was done right (it really added ALOT to the movie) and the emotional part of this arc could not have been any better.
    Without over repeating myself, I seriously walked in without much expectations because ufotable did fucked up my last Fate movie but this movie, everyone deserves to watch this once in their lives.
    I feel like this movie is close to the perfect adaption, like the magnum opus of anime adaptions but I don't want to go there but it really comes close.

I think I teared a little. Do give it serious consider to watch it in a cinema setting if it comes near or is near you, that will do it justice.

The few flaws I have isn't really flaws due to the adaption but because of the source material but it's usually the more comedic parts at the start which felt very typical and yeah, okay that's just not really funny (but it's due to the source material, there's limited room to turn the comedy up anyway). Another is that it might become a little bit too extravaganza, like a high specs animation buffet for some people but I only felt it during the last few minutes of the fight and I'd like to believe I have watch my fair share of anime series over the years that feels too over the top to make a good call that it's not going to be an issue.
    A nitpick would be like, what, a 10% increase in focus in the main villain with one scene that repeats his POV that would have been fine being removed (it's in the manga too so it is not an added scene but they extended a little where he's basically saying the same thing).

This is just anime on high. It was good, beautiful.

Final volume will come with new 14 page epilogue and 25 bonus pages. Hope she gives closure for our characters instead of that reincarnations/descendants bullshit.
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...hapter/.166683

The series also reached 120M volumes sold (including digital).

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Final volume will come with new 14 page epilogue and 25 bonus pages. Hope she gives closure for our characters instead of that reincarnations/descendants bullshit.
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...hapter/.166683

The series also reached 120M volumes sold (including digital).
    Shueisha revealed last November that the Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba manga was the company's second highest-selling manga in 2019, second only to Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga
    Wasnīt KnY above One Piece in sales 2019?

It sold around 80M volumes this year, I don’t really care about the last year controversy whereas it sold more than OP or not.

Pretty weird, donīt get the whole distinction between physical and digital either, just post the data if you have it.
    The One Piece numbers are always declared in "is in print", not in sales.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Did it beat OP general sales in 02 years...? 120M is a MASSIVE number, I'm always overwhelmed by this series' selling streak

Kingdom will also outsale One Piece this year apparently. Jujutsu would probably too if the anime had come sooner

Part of the trick is people are binge buying the entire series, while OP its mooostly the newest volumes providing the majority of sales.

It'll be interesting to see how Kimetsu does next year since its perfect storm of timing will have passed and the series will be over... but the anime will be continuing still.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Part of the trick is people are binge buying the entire series, while OP its mooostly the newest volumes providing the majority of sales.
    Why are you still saying that when a new volume of Kimetsu sales twice as much as One Piece.
    2020 is not 2019

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information