+ Reply to Thread
Page 179 of 185 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 3697

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by DPNZ View Post
    The slates are up and as expected Episode of East Blue has been announced for September.

https://derf9v1xhwwx1.cloudfront.net...dvdcombo_1.jpg
    No season ten. Surprise, surprise. Well, I guess some One Piece is better than no One Piece.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I really like that boxart.

Also, apparently the special feature is an hour long. That’s something. I’m willing to bet somewhere in there they let something slip. I’ll be looking out on the Nebulandia special features too. anyone their copy early? It’s due out on Tuesday. I’m excited for it, mostly because I love Foxy’s laugh. Top three laughs would definitely have him and Cesar.

I exist...I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Samwize78 View Post
    Also, to shed more light on the Episode of East Blue recast discussion: I saw a twitter convo today with Terri Doty where she explained that anime voice actors get paid for the amount of hours they spend recording in the booth and do not get any shares of the residuals for that property’s releases, so FUNimation could use Vic and the other VA’s previously recorded dialogue without having to worry about paying them.
    While that’s true that still doesn't change the fact that using previously recorded dialogue isn't an entirely viable option. Even if they could get away with using some of the original dialogue I guarantee it is not a practice they could rely too heavily on. As I’ve said before:

there are still plenty of times where they have to record new dialogue because the original just doesn’t fit the new animation. This is something they can even have a problem with in relatively short reanimated flashbacks, so there’s no way an entire 106 minute special can be so reliant on that.
    And this still doesn’t account for scenes not originally in the anime, scenes where the dialogue is quite different from the anime episodes, scenes that are heavily altered for the sake of condensing the story, or scenes where a character’s performance is visually/audibly different than they were in the original anime (for example, there might be instances where a character is yelling a line in the special where they may of spoke more normally in the original episodes). With this special in particular trying to be a bit closer to the manga than the original episodes were at times this has plenty of instances of differences throughout (especially in the first half)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    I mean, I think the real discussion is whether they’ll re-record lines by actors who no longer work with the company. It seems a reasonable suspicious that they’d just reuse those lines, especially considering how they reused lines for twenty whole minutes of flashback in 3D2Y.

But even in 3D2Y there was still plenty of dialogue in those flashbacks that wasn’t reused from the original episodes. And in regards to Episode of East Blue, there is dialogue from some of these characters (Yasopp for certain) that didn’t exist at all in the original episodes, meaning they wouldn’t be able to avoid recasting.
    Last edited by midod; June 14th, 2019 at 12:53 AM.

This special is actually one of the better ones, and while rushed pacing-wise like the others, it does a pretty good job giving newer viewers an overview of the strawhat's backstories up to the grand line, and is a nice dose of nostalgia for the rest of us. Should be fun. Of course, season 10 news would be a lot more funner...

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

I'm excited for Episode of East Blue, definitely one of the best specials. The re-animated Zoro/Mihawk & Sanji/Gin fights are amazing! My only issue with it is, all comedy bits are completely cut, which is okay but a bit strange

So what’re we betting on for October? I’d place money on nothing, but other options are EPISODE OF SKYPEIA and season ten.

It was only a matter of time until EoE reached our part of the globe. I'd think this would be the end of dubbing the specials for a while but Episode of Skypiea might be next.
    Looking less and less likely that Season 10 will finally come this year.

I’m betting if we get season ten at all, it’ll be in November. I was hoping for October or sooner, but that seems unlikely now.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

November could be Stampede hopefully, though more likely that'll be more like January

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    November could be Stampede hopefully, though more likely that'll be more like January
    Stampede comes out in August? Yeah, November is way too soon. Hopefully they do a theatrical run in August; not sure how far US release dates run behind Japanese ones. Wouldn’t be surprised if we got our theatrical release in November, Blu-ray five months later.

Solicitations disappeared on the Funimation website. Maybe all of them haven’t been announced? Unlikely, but possible until they officially go live.

Isn’t the 20th anniversary in August? You’d think they’d release something in that month...

I exist...I guess....

That’s happened a couple times where they put up some solicitations on the pre-order page earlier than they probably intended, only to remove them and place them back up later. But the direct links to the products are still available on their site: https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...mbo-bld-00859/

Also the 20th anniversary is in October, which is why those official binges end in October

Episode of East Blue? that's cool. I think this is Funimation simply taking a break in the main series, in order to free them up to release these specials. It's good business, as they likely don't want to release them in between season parts, so starving us of the series is to a degree making us impatient for more episodes, so much so that we'll buy the specials, because we don't have anything else right now. Rumour is S10 is coming in the fall. I think this will be the last of the specials for the time being, and November will finally see Punk Hazard begin.

Also the 20th anniversary is in October, which is why those official binges end in October
    I forgot about that. That's a big indicator right there, I can see the big announcement for the anniversary being they've licensed Stampede, and Punk Hazard starts in November.

It could also be that with these binges, they don't want to be releasing more episodes when they are trying to encourage more people to start watching the show, so taking this break gives them more time to catch up.
    Last edited by Luffy_80; June 14th, 2019 at 12:11 PM.

I'm still gonna stand by my previous prediction of Episode of Skypiea in December with Season 10 next spring after an announcement this fall (prolly October around the anniversary). That being said though I'd love to be proven wrong, Season 10 along with these specials would be a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by midod View Post

While that’s true that still doesn't change the fact that using previously recorded dialogue isn't an entirely viable option. Even if they could get away with using some of the original dialogue I guarantee it is not a practice they could rely too heavily on. As I’ve said before:

But even in 3D2Y there was still plenty of dialogue in those flashbacks that wasn’t reused from the original episodes. And in regards to Episode of East Blue, there is dialogue from some of these characters (Yasopp for certain) that didn’t exist at all in the original episodes, meaning they wouldn’t be able to avoid recasting.
    Agreed. I'm definitely not counting on them reusing old recordings, just thought I'd shed some more light on that process.

I'm excited for this special to hit our shores. As I've said before it's animated very well and more close to the manga and a good nostalgia trip.

just curious, do none of us know who the current brand manager for one piece is at funimation? I remember 3 of the past brand managers as they use to visit the OPP and I followed them on Twitter, but I haven't seen anything about the current person. I'm just asking because I wonder if there even is one at this point
    I made this terrible username 8 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by LUFFY#1 fan View Post
    just curious, do none of us know who the current brand manager for one piece is at funimation? I remember 3 of the past brand managers as they use to visit the OPP and I followed them on Twitter, but I haven't seen anything about the current person. I'm just asking because I wonder if there even is one at this point
    It's this guy - Paul Frugé II

https://mobile.twitter.com/prince79ii

Oddly enough, the One Piece Special doesn’t show up on the preordered page, despite everything else having been uploaded and in place.

https://www.funimation.com/shop/pre-orders/

Quote Originally Posted by Samwize78 View Post
    Physical release sales in all forms of media have been declining in recent years as well though. Even if this dub hiatus doesn’t have anything to do with DVD sales and the dub returns this fall I think FUNimation should probably still think about planning ahead with other ways to expose their DVD-only releases like One Piece to as many online markets as they can to avoid having eventual drops in DVD sales cause another hiatus or cancellation in the future, whether that be reopening the discussion of a simuldub like we’ve been talking about or putting the dub on subscription based streaming services other than their own. Even though that ANN article turned out to be fake, I don’t think cable TV is the way to go, regardless of what Toei may believe.

Also, to shed more light on the Episode of East Blue recast discussion: I saw a twitter convo today with Terri Doty where she explained that anime voice actors get paid for the amount of hours they spend recording in the booth and do not get any shares of the residuals for that property’s releases, so FUNimation could use Vic and the other VA’s previously recorded dialogue without having to worry about paying them.
    I don't think DVD's or Blu-Ray's are going to disappear or be completely phased out anytime soon (at least in our lifetime). I would have agreed with previous posts on this thread about the matter, had Netflix, Hulu, and to a certain extent Amazon Prime been the only streaming services available. But now it seems like every entertainment and media company wants to launch their own streaming service and not everyone is going to be able to afford all of them. They'll likely release DVD's for their own original content (as Netflix, Hulu, and Prime have) to possibly promote their service and to try and curb online piracy that will occur.

I also recently subscribed to Funimation Now and only a select few titles are not on their service (like Chaos;Child and Gintama Season 3) and when you search for them all you get is a trailer for their DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Nah, I'm not in the belief that physical releases are going anywhere. It's just incredibly aggravating knowing Funimation basically waits a full year after a Simuldub ends before the dvds start coming out. As far as I know, that may be how it's always been, but the introduction of Simuldubs and knowing the episodes are long done makes it feel way worse to wait. The wait for One Piece is another matter that I can probably keep waiting for as long as we get Stampede fairly quick. Funny, I quit watching the subs around the end of Punk Hazard since I had absolute faith Funimation would catch up/be in dressrosa by now. Might be time to start up again to see how they do with the start of Wano.

I don't watch many Simuldubs, but I did MHA's, and seeing that Part 2 of season 3 is just coming out in September feels ridiculous, especially when season 4 is coming not long after that. I've pretty much found at this point that any series I don't wait on watching, I wait even longer to buy during sales. Oh well, at least episode of East Blue will give me something as I continue to wait for Index Season 3, Date a Live season 3, Shield Hero, Goblin Slayer, and Zombie Idol announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    I don't think DVD's or Blu-Ray's are going to disappear or be completely phased out anytime soon (at least in our lifetime).
    We're all going to live at least another 50 years, so that's an insanely long time.

DVDs will definitely be dead by 2030, and Blu-Rays will probably have been replaced by flash-based media by then.

I only buy Blu-rays, if there’s an option.

I think anime will be one of the last "genres" to die out on Blu-ray, because they're already priced/marketed with a niche audience in mind and that's where physical media is heading. Anime already has it better than western stuff with this kind of thing; as a random example, you can pre-order all of Steins;Gate 0 but there's never been a Blu-ray of Bob's Burgers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information