+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotta get back -Back to the past- SAMURAI JACK- Whachow

Default Re: Gotta get back -Back to the past- SAMURAI JACK- Whachow

The tone and point sorta varied by the episode in the earlier seasons. There were a lot of great serious actiony eps like the one with the blind archers, and then there's stuff like:

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    that's why he was a samurai in period where samurai should not fit.
    Well, there was a pretty reasonable inuniverse explaination for this. Came from feudal Japan, got flung into a future thousands of years from the battle.

I've always liked how his samurai-ness clashed with the modern tech.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    So I remember kid me working on the assumption kid me assuming samourai Jack was a self-aware parody of the notion over logic. That's why Jack hardly talk(if at all) and that's why he was a samurai in period where samurai should not fit. Did younger just invented all that or was there a serious plot all along that I should catch on before going for season 5?
    Well, Samurai Jack does mostly take itself seriously on its own merits, but it does have its share of goofiness as well (it's more-or-less like Avatar in tone). Yes it has comedy and there are some straight up screwball episodes (Aku's Fairy Tales, Jack and the Farting Dragon, etc.) but there's a lot of genuinely cool action and drama too (Jack and the Ultra-Bots, Jack Remembers the Past, etc.). The fact that he's a Samurai in a futuristic setting, I think, was jus an excuse to put him in some fantastical scenarios, and work as a fish-out-of-water story.

Now, as the for the plotline, there...really isn't one. Jack tries to defeat the evil Aku, gets sent into the future, tries to find a way back to the past, and...that's pretty much it. The story never really evolves beyond that as they made it an episodic series, which maybe they shouldn't have done. While a lot of individual episodes are pretty great, it does get frustrating seeing Jack never making any discernible progress. So, as for episodes you need to watch to catch up on it, there really aren't that many.

-The first three episodes: The episodes that set everything up and pretty well establish the tone of the series
    -Any of the Scotsman episodes: One of the few recurring characters and I recommend the first one (Jack and the Scotsman) since, you know, it introduces him.
    -Jack and the Travelling Creatures: This may not be necessary as we don't know for sure if this will tie into the new episodes, but it wasn't the closest thing we got to a proper finale for a while

Aside from that, some really good episodes I can recommend are: Jack and the Three Blind Archers, Jack and the Ultra-Bots, Jack Remembers the Past, Jack and the Zombies, Jack and the Haunted House, The Birth of Evil, The Princess and the Bounty Hunters, and The Scotsman Saves Jack

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Well, Samurai Jack does mostly take itself seriously on its own merits, but it does have its share of goofiness as well (it's more-or-less like Avatar in tone). Yes it has comedy and there are some straight up screwball episodes (Aku's Fairy Tales, Jack and the Farting Dragon, etc.) but there's a lot of genuinely cool action and drama too (Jack and the Ultra-Bots, Jack Remembers the Past, etc.). The fact that he's a Samurai in a futuristic setting, I think, was jus an excuse to put him in some fantastical scenarios, and work as a fish-out-of-water story.

Now, as the for the plotline, there...really isn't one. Jack tries to defeat the evil Aku, gets sent into the future, tries to find a way back to the past, and...that's pretty much it. The story never really evolves beyond that as they made it an episodic series, which maybe they shouldn't have done. While a lot of individual episodes are pretty great, it does get frustrating seeing Jack never making any discernible progress. So, as for episodes you need to watch to catch up on it, there really aren't that many.

-The first three episodes: The episodes that set everything up and pretty well establish the tone of the series
    -Any of the Scotsman episodes: One of the few recurring characters and I recommend the first one (Jack and the Scotsman) since, you know, it introduces him.
    -Jack and the Travelling Creatures: This may not be necessary as we don't know for sure if this will tie into the new episodes, but it wasn't the closest thing we got to a proper finale for a while

Aside from that, some really good episodes I can recommend are: Jack and the Three Blind Archers, Jack and the Ultra-Bots, Jack Remembers the Past, Jack and the Zombies, Jack and the Haunted House, The Birth of Evil, The Princess and the Bounty Hunters, and The Scotsman Saves Jack
    I would also add Tale of X9, Jack and the Flying Prince and Princess, Jack versus Aku, Jack is Naked, Jack's Sandals, Samurai vs Samurai, The Aku Infection, and The Four Seasons of Death.

Personally, I think some of the most memorable episodes are when the show completely embraces humor to the point of absurdity. That episode where he gets stuck in pseudo-Wonderland was so hilarious. And Jack versus Aku was beautiful.
    Last edited by Count Mario; April 20th, 2017 at 09:53 AM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Samurai versus Ninja is a must-watch and I also really recommend Jack and the Labyrinth along Jack and the Baby.
    Complicating things since 2009.

The one where Jack is cursed with amnesia and the Scotsman helps him was a favourite of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by y2kyle89 View Post
    The one where Jack is cursed with amnesia and the Scotsman helps him was a favourite of mine.
    Huh, I guess two minds think alike.
    The face of a Straw Hat.

Okay, that line was one I never expected to hear in Samurai Jack.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Oh, so it's not a body suit.

Oh.

Ouch.

Yeah, that... that was an unpleasant surprise.

Kind of adds a new layer of creepy to the whole thing
    Last edited by y2kyle89; April 22nd, 2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: "I like your hair. The way it inexplicable went up before freaked me out."
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Samurai Jack is Back and got Tom Kenny to say "penis"

man, tonigh'st episode was nothing but nostalga feels. plus.

Spoiler:
    my mouth dropped when demongo showed up. i thought aku wasted him for good.
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Samurai Jack is Back and got Tom Kenny to say "penis"
    So I wasn't hearing things lol at the unexpected Astro cameo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    So I wasn't hearing things lol at the unexpected Astro cameo.
    and the robot that looks like popeye

Dynomutt has fallen on bad times

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

What a wonderful walk down memory lane this episode was.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee1000 View Post
    What a wonderful walk down memory lane this episode was.
    it most certainly was.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Zorak was also in the beginning on the blimp.

After the blood I shouldn't be surprised but was definitely caught off guard by the ..uh..colorful language this ep.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Whoa dang. This episode makes me glad for marathoning the whole show. So many throwbacks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information