+ Reply to Thread
Page 430 of 461 FirstFirst ... 330 380 420 428 429 430 431 432 440 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,600 of 9218

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Big Mum already said he is from a race she doesn't have yet.
    I know this but some people once suggested that one of the races she doesn't have were the winged people you know the Skypieans/Shandia/Birkans

I always though King was a different species from these that's what I was clarifying

Greg's take on THAT SBS question.

Let's talk about that SBS question.
    No cultural misunderstandings, no hype, and limited speculation.

The user asked two questions, one main question ("...will you quit One Piece's serialization in 5 years?") and an aside. Only the main question may be answered yes or no.

And Oda chose to start the reply by saying, "Yes."

Ruh-roh! Yes, I know, I know. "Oda said!!!" Oda says a *lot* of things. And this expression clearly depicts that he wants to wrap in 5 years. I don't doubt his ambition to that end.

But given the 2chap-break-2chap-break pattern, even if volume 98 gives us the first of our VS-style covers, that's a whole other 10-12 chaps of material of fighting for the 2nd VS cover, not to mention however many it takes for wrap-up, and that's just Wano.

Lest we forget, Oda is putting that 5 year statement in the comic *now* and replying 'yes' to it suggesting 5 years *from now* so he's already slyly tacked on another year.

And although I doubt this, the Japanese word for 'yes' can also be used as a kind of 'okay, here we go.' prefacing phrase. Is he attempting to use it that way here? Maybe not, but he could easily argue as such down the line.

Now, let's move beyond that first word, shall we? He goes on to say that rather than 'quitting' the most interesting part of Luffy's adventure -specifically the tale of finding out what the One Piece is- will come to a conclusion and thereby it will be over.

This statement tells us volumes about the end of the series (Luffy's adventures will continue for many years to come) but also suggests that yes, in 5 years time, the series will conclude having covered the most interesting part of Luffy's adventure.

There is a very optimistic way of looking at this, suggesting that he intends to go beyond said part of Luffy's life, but, his use of 'owarimasu' is fairly definitive there and doesn't suggest as such to me.

My 2 yen:
    Yeah naw, 7 years bruh.
    If he's already back-tracking the 5 year thing, lol, he'll be too tempted to hit 30th anniversary unless something drastic occurs on a personal level.

I've heard what the series wrap-up is supposed to (or was supposed to) include and it's all quite ambitious. I can't see everything coming together in such a time-frame but hey, who knows, one thing for sure, not Oda. At least not yet.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

So, pretty much consistent with what we've been getting for the past year or so. Exactly what I'm expecting to happen. "Yeah, I'll end it in 5 years!" --> one year later --> "Yeah, I'll end it in 5 years!" --> and so on. I'm pretty certain One Piece will celebrate 30 years of serialization in 2027, but it shouldn't last much longer beyond that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    So, pretty much consistent with what we've been getting for the past year or so. Exactly what I'm expecting to happen. "Yeah, I'll end it in 5 years!" --> one year later --> "Yeah, I'll end it in 5 years!" --> and so on. I'm pretty certain One Piece will celebrate 30 years of serialization in 2027, but it shouldn't last much longer beyond that point.
    The last time he said 4.5 years, actually... and in this SBS the "5 years" is in the question, not the answer, so Oda just explained without correcting the details.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Btw, this is what I understood from the past translation.

Oda didn't change his mind on ending serialization in 5 years. The fans' interpretation that says "5 years to finish Luffy's adventure + years of something else, probably the the final war" is wrong. The series ends in 5 years.

Of couse, Oda can fail to meet his forecast and end in 7 years or more instead... but this SBS comment didn't change anything.

I'd be interested in knowing why he thinks はい。 (Yes) is definitely not being used as an introductory sentence because, as he says, it is used that way in Japanese often enough. The reason I bring it up is because Oda follows with "やめるっていうか", Yameru meaning to quit something and teiuka being a phrase you use when trying to rephrase something (i.e., or rather, I mean, etc.) and then goes on to say the mystery of One Piece will end in five years. The story of what One Piece is and the actual whole story completing are two different things, so that he said ていうか to specify his meaning on One Piece ending and followed with saying that Luffy's journey to finding out what One Piece is will be ending suggest to me that he's saying Luffy will be on Laugh Tale in five years, which given the foreshadowing of the story would be saying that the actual finale starts in five years, not ends in it. If he wanted to say the final chapter of the manga would be published in about five years, I don't see why he would he respond by specifying that we will find out what One Piece is in five years as opposed to just saying "Yes. The series will conclude in five years.".

Quote Originally Posted by DaphneDescends View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing why he thinks はい。 (Yes) is definitely not being used as an introductory sentence because, as he says, it is used that way in Japanese often enough. The reason I bring it up is because Oda follows with "やめるっていうか", Yameru meaning to quit something and teiuka being a phrase you use when trying to rephrase something (i.e., or rather, I mean, etc.) and then goes on to say the mystery of One Piece will end in five years. The story of what One Piece is and the actual whole story completing are two different things, so that he said ていうか to specify his meaning on One Piece ending and followed with saying that Luffy's journey to finding out what One Piece is will be ending suggest to me that he's saying Luffy will be on Laugh Tale in five years, which given the foreshadowing of the story would be saying that the actual finale starts in five years, not ends in it. If he wanted to say the final chapter of the manga would be published in about five years, I don't see why he would he respond by specifying that we will find out what One Piece is in five years as opposed to just saying "Yes. The series will conclude in five years.".
    There might be some twist, but he says literally that because the most interesting part of Luffy's adventure will conclude, it will end. That's what Greg is referring to, he already said that "hai" might mean what you say too. Anyway, there might be some twist like the series will continue, or that it will change its name because it's no longer One Piece, or who knows, because Luffy's adventure will continue. Will we see the rest of Luffy's adventure? That's the question.

Lol imagine if the series end without the final war finishing. We might get One Piece Z.

As long as Luffy doesn't die, he'll live an adventure for the rest of his life.

But this particular story about the One Piece (and all that comes with it) is coming to an end in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    As long as Luffy doesn't die, he'll live an adventure for the rest of his life.

But this particular story about the One Piece (and all that comes with it) is coming to an end in 5 years.
    I mean again he literally avoided saying that when he could have stated it clearly. Someone should send him some more angry letters for SBS 98.

I don't think "the most interesting" or whatever the real translation is should offend some. Nothing has been built up more than this mystery of what the OP is. I see some people interpreting life after finding the OP as not as exciting. There's finding the OP, then there's surpassing the Roger Pirates in some way by doing something with the knowledge, experience and reward. Both sound like things equally dope.

I don't see having Poseidon and the other prince as the only difference between the SH and Roger crews. Maybe the ones they've left a positive impression on among Royals and WG will also be a X factor. I don't even think the series antagonist will be as simple as Imu or Teach.

Now that is good bait. Talk about drumming up conversation with a few chosen words.

Yeah, I don't think focusing on "most interesting" (that is literally the kanji in use so no translation error) is too meaningful. As far as I know there is no Japanese word for saying something like "the hook of the story", I think that's more of what he wanted to convey. The goal sense chapter 1 will be reached but there will still be the fallout after that (i.e. the war at Marine H.Q/Marejois/Fishman Island). Also yeah we're totally over analyzing Shueisha's marketing tactic here.

Quote Originally Posted by DaphneDescends View Post
    I mean again he literally avoided saying that when he could have stated it clearly. Someone should send him some more angry letters for SBS 98.
    You are the one who speaks japanese between the two of us, but from what I understood from your own breakdown of the SBS I do feel like my interpretation makes sense.

It comes down to our personal interpretation of what Oda means when he talks about the end of the "monogatari/story of what One Piece is", and to me this is a much more encompassing concept than what you're giving it credit for. You're supporting the idea that this fake "end" is just a stop before the true finish line based on the assumption that discovering the truth about the Void Century and the One Piece will not be the last thing to happen in the series. That's a fine interpretation, but whatever happens after that point is still part of the "monogatari of what OP is", in my opinion.

You argue that Oda didn't need to be so ambiguous and he could have said simply that "the manga will end". Ok, sure, but it's even more contrived to make this weird distinction that Oda is talking about a metaphorical ending before the true final arc. It just makes more sense to follow the consistency and simplicity of the message that OP will end in 5 years, as Oda has been saying for some time now.

And since Oda is starting the great war as soon as Wano is over, then it's even easier to understand that OP could end in 5 years since we're already in the final saga (after Wano).

I think the only thing which we can really say with confidence is that the scenario where the crew reach Laugh Tale followed by a big war against World Government and Blackbeard won't happen.
    That is quite interesting in its own way

He goes at it vague so he can argue back and have it make sense or pull a reason or two.
    The five years were initially for the entire series or was a statement that came off with that intention but I guess after thinking through and with the PR side of things, he had to address that.
    Which, in this case while not technically back-pedalling on his words, it still comes off to me as funny because the man had to come out and basically make a PR statement to rectify his other PR statement.
    "Yeah, I was right but..yada yada but the important thing is that i will be right and was right.." kind of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    You are the one who speaks japanese between the two of us, but from what I understood from your own breakdown of the SBS I do feel like my interpretation makes sense.

It comes down to our personal interpretation of what Oda means when he talks about the end of the "monogatari/story of what One Piece is", and to me this is a much more encompassing concept than what you're giving it credit for. You're supporting the idea that this fake "end" is just a stop before the true finish line based on the assumption that discovering the truth about the Void Century and the One Piece will not be the last thing to happen in the series. That's a fine interpretation, but whatever happens after that point is still part of the "monogatari of what OP is", in my opinion.

You argue that Oda didn't need to be so ambiguous and he could have said simply that "the manga will end". Ok, sure, but it's even more contrived to make this weird distinction that Oda is talking about a metaphorical ending before the true final arc. It just makes more sense to follow the consistency and simplicity of the message that OP will end in 5 years, as Oda has been saying for some time now.

And since Oda is starting the great war as soon as Wano is over, then it's even easier to understand that OP could end in 5 years since we're already in the final saga (after Wano).
    I'm not talking about a metaphorical ending. One Piece is the name of the "treasure" on Laugh Tale and is a physical object. In the SBS when asked if the manga was really ending in five years, Oda specifically stated that the story of what exactly One Piece is will be concluded as a response. Not really sure what is contrived about distinguishing between the object that exists in the story of One Piece and the actual manga series itself. As zeltrax stated above I think he's just kind of backpedaling on what was a marketing attempt on his/Shueisha's part after thinking it through more carefully.

The last time he said 4.5 years, actually.
    *Actually* he said '4 *or* 5' years not 4.5 years and that statement wasn't 'last time' as recording for the Arashi interview would have occurred *after* Vol.97 was submitted for printing.

Regarding 'yameru tte iuka'.

The purpose there is to redefine what the writer suggested. The writer asked are 'you quitting' which is fairly straightforward in English but may have the negative connotation of 'being a quitter' or 'leaving unfinished' in Japanese and Oda intended to make it *crystal clear* that he's not 'quitting' he will be 'finished'.

Ex:
    Q: Are you quitting One Piece?
    A: I wouldn't say quitting so much as due to....(Luffy's adventure)....[it's going to/I'll be be] finished.

There might have been wiggle room without his definitive use of 'owarimasu'. But it's simply not there.

"But Oda said!"

The mantra one must repeat is, "Oda says a *lot* of things."
    Last edited by Greg; September 16th, 2020 at 01:03 PM.

I love it when you guys fight in Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    *Actually* he said '4 *or* 5' years not 4.5 years and that statement wasn't 'last time' as recording for the Arashi interview would have occurred *after* Vol.97 was submitted for printing.

The purpose there is to redefine what the writer suggested. The writer asked are 'you quitting' which is fairly straightforward in English but may have the negative connotation of 'being a quitter' or 'leaving unfinished' in Japanese and Oda intended to make it *crystal clear* that he's not 'quitting' he will be 'finished'.

Ex:
    A: I wouldn't say quitting so much as due to....(Luffy's adventure)....[it's going to/I'll be be] finished.

There might have been wiggle room without his definitive use of 'owarimasu'. But it's simply not there.

"But Oda said!"

So from your translation, at the least, Oda is saying that finding One Piece is the ending in this volume? Or do you think there is an implication that the war is after finding One Piece? Also, I get that you're saying that Oda says a lot of things that don't come to be, but I'm just more curious about the seeming intention of what is written here.
    Last edited by andre; September 16th, 2020 at 01:14 PM.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Ex:

"But Oda said!"

Interesting, I didn't consider the possibility that Oda was rephrasing it from a negative. I still find it odd that he specifies "what One Piece is" before going on to say "will be ending, owarimasu". I suppose he could have just took into account that he would be near the ending either way and decided to go with that phrasing to give himself wiggle room though. Or maybe One Piece could have some twist re-contextualizing the war style ending (seems weird given the foreshadowing). Probably best to just wait and see at this point without worrying too much about random comments in interviews, Gintama missed it's announced ending by a volume last year and that was with way less plot points to juggle and an estimation made way closer to the actual end than Oda currently is.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information