+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47

Thread: Ducktales- new series! Woohoo!

Default Re: Ducktales- new series! Woohoo!

They do play with emotions a fair bit throughout the three parter to deal with all and do mine it all for pathos, yes. Once the characters know all the details there's not a lot of time left to really deal with it, but I feel the rest of the show covered the relationships well enough you know how it'll work out now that they know what they know.

Its trappings common to modern pop colture of course, just weird to see applied to something like Ducktales for me, I guess.
    It's not just Ducktales. Lots and lots of animated shows now are being made by those who grew up on the Disney afternoon and late 90's anime, and a lot of them sort of have that "so meta it's making twists and commenting on them just to subvert expectations". But they're expectations you'd only have if you... grew up on that specific era of shows. They also bring a very specific energy to the leads that I'm seeing pop up a lot. That's hard to explain and describe but its consistent.

I felt like Gravity Falls had a lot of that same "very meta" energy to it, and what little I've seen of Own House seems like its a bit of a resposne to... Harry Potter and Tenchi Muyo. The CGI Ninja Turtles show was definitely from a group that grew up on the original and it was a total love letter to almost a fault. And that's an interesting thing to see happening.

Like, I understand how Stephen Universe got its exact tone when it took the talent it did from Adventure time, how that developed is super duper clear straight line. But the crop of "young kid hero adventure shows" is a very different beast than it once was and the influences on them are a strange mix where there's definitely anime influence.

In another few years we'll be seeing shows made by those that grew up on Teen Titans and Avatar, so that'll be something. (I don't count things like Dragon Prince or Voltron since those are actually just various parts of the Avatar staff doing new things.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Like, I'm watching Spectacular Spider Man again, and though it does feel like its cutting it close a few times (the pacing is VERY fast - do they earn dr. Octavius becoming Doctor Octopus, or is it just me being excited to see him?), over all I feel like the story works in and of itself, which was not always the case for DuckTales. Its a fine balance.
    Spectacular played it pretty fair, though it was such a deep cut love letter, it made it a bit wonky for established viewers when you see Sandman and Rhino and Liza and Venom and Doc Ock and Green Goblin all in the first episode and know EXACTLY where its going to go with each of them but it takes a few episodes to get there. It was the purest and possibly strongest retelling of the material we've ever gotten, and I can't imagine that sequence of stories being done again any better. ANy future versions need to do it really different and have really out there non-traditional designs for the characters.

(This is also why I think I can't ever watch another Turtles or Transformers show... I've been through those same paces SO many times now.)

I feel like the same team working on Young Justice might be a little better off because even though they use established comic stories and characters, they search more for the C listers that haven't been explored or over-exposed as much.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    They do play with emotions a fair bit throughout the three parter to deal with all and do mine it all for pathos, yes. Once the characters know all the details there's not a lot of time left to really deal with it, but I feel the rest of the show covered the relationships well enough you know how it'll work out now that they know what they know.
    On the one hand good to know, but on the other, thats a shame. In general for me, when I go "This is a HUGE deal with HUGE implications and consequences!" I need to see this dramatized onscreen, otherwise I feel that the writers don't really agree that its a similarly huge deal. But especially in recent years on this here forum, I've become increasingly aware that this approach is nowhere near universal.

Still, didn't see it, just voicing my personal nonplussed gut reaction to the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's not just Ducktales. Lots and lots of animated shows now are being made by those who grew up on the Disney afternoon and late 90's anime, and a lot of them sort of have that "so meta it's making twists and commenting on them just to subvert expectations". But they're expectations you'd only have if you... grew up on that specific era of shows. They also bring a very specific energy to the leads that I'm seeing pop up a lot. That's hard to explain and describe but its consistent.

I felt like Gravity Falls had a lot of that same "very meta" energy to it, and what little I've seen of Own House seems like its a bit of a resposne to... Harry Potter and Tenchi Muyo. The CGI Ninja Turtles show was definitely from a group that grew up on the original and it was a total love letter to almost a fault. And that's an interesting thing to see happening.
    Gravity Falls -and to some extent Steven Universe- deal alot with grappling with established tropes and are meta in that way, but I think a big strength for those shows is that they're original IPs that had to build their worlds from the ground up, meaning that they needed strong episodic stories and strong characters to get you hooked, and couldn't rely on established iconography for excitement. I think its telling that so many of the Nostalgic IP Revivals feature characters who are in some way grappling with the original IP itself, whether by being related to original characters or extreme fans of them - you see it everywhere from Ducktales to Star Wars to the reverence of the new Ghostbusters trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    "This is a HUGE deal with HUGE implications and consequences!" I need to see this dramatized onscreen, otherwise I feel that the writers don't really agree that its a similarly huge deal.
    I agree. The problem in this case, however, is the executive meddling, as DuckTales didn't get another one or two seasons to properly wrap up everything - including the aforementioned huge deal together with all its implications and consequences. The writers probably did the best they could dealing with that shitty situation.

If this very finale actually would be the result of the writers without any outside influence, I assume critics, including me, would be way more negative.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

We still have no clue who Huey, Dewey and Louie's father is and I find that really funny.
    Hidden:

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

I think the meta ness of the show was part of its downfall in lack of popularity. Like Robby/Daz said, you really had to be in the the shows growing up to get the references near the end and truly appreciate it. They did deep into the lore for references, not just Disney Afternoon but Ducktales comics and other obscure references.

Sure there could be a lot of other factors into it, but this show never reached the heights of Gravity Falls, Star VS, or Steven Universe fame despite having the quality of those shows, more or less in various aspects, in terms of popularity by the end. Thereís nowhere near the fan base for it (that said Iíve been rewatching the series given the finale was coming up, I think thereís a lot to love about season 2 and 3, whereas season 1 was still finding its footing in some ways).

That all said I still really enjoy the show. I loved Della Duck with her storyline and as a character and wish she was used more in season 3 (though thatís also part of the shame, all the callbacks meant you get like 1-2 episodes per reference/main characters so you never get to gravitate towards one. I think thatís why so like Louie and Della the most because they had the most episodes with character arcs centered around them instead of them doing wacky bikinis, though I think so wouldíve loved their personalities anyways since they could just have a scene in an episode and steal the spotlight)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what heís lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Disney posted the creditless version of the closing credits of the finale.

So is there any other loose end outside of Negaduck that wasn't addresed at the end?

Yeah, that is, what became of the Air Pirates?
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

First episode of the Podcast is up on Youtube

Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what heís lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

That was great first episode of the podcast. I did got a good laugh with the Big time stuff.

This Duckburg Life episodes 2 and 3 are out.

This was likely Louie’s most successful scheme on screen/heard of ever (say on screen given Louie’s kids is apparently country wide?)

For anyone that watches Ducktales on Disney+, Season 3 is coming to Disney+ on April 30th.

That implies that season 2 is there already.. <flies to check>

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Sigh, region lock I guess.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

All 7 podcasts have been released as of this Monday. Well, it’s been a blast Ducktales 2017. Enjoyed it while it lasted.

Now waiting for someone dedicated to animate these podcasts, even if it’s low quality animations.

The plots are great, but I don't like the drawing style

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information