+ Reply to Thread
Page 812 of 853 FirstFirst ... 312 712 762 802 810 811 812 813 814 822 ... LastLast
Results 16,221 to 16,240 of 17056

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

<vibrates of anger>

LoL.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Want another reason to hate ICE? They detained three Magic: The Gathering artists on their way to Wizard.
    https://www.themarysue.com/d-and-d-a...-detained-ice/

They aren't even hispanic. But at least Wizard supported them through the whole thing.

They have the gall to have hispanic sounding names. THE HORROR!!!

Can't dedicate too much bandwith to these kinds of evils tho. I have bigger fishies to loathe.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

This is very true.

So, how do you feel about Colombus today?

(I'm technically abusing my red star to ignore this thread's purpose, but the history thread is burried, and I don't feel in a necromantic mood today)
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I give him credit for crossing the Atlantic when that wasn't an easy feat, but not much else.

conquistadors and the american goverment were worse for natives than columbus ever was

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Reinhard Bösch of the Austrian right wing freedom party suggested that if North Africa doesn't introduce refugee camps, to use European military force to 'claim space' in North Africa to handle it themselves.

Is it this time of the century again?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/05/world...ake/index.html

Quake of 6.6 in Hokkaido. Landslides toppled homes and trees, only 4 confirmed dead but the report said something worry some about some missing people.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaimon View Post
    Reinhard Bösch of the Austrian right wing freedom party suggested that if North Africa doesn't introduce refugee camps, to use European military force to 'claim space' in North Africa to handle it themselves.

Is it this time of the century again?
    I wouldn't shout this from the rooftops. European military force is mostly a joke, most of the militaries are underfunded as hell and sending soldiers to another country (especially "boots on the ground") is always a risky business, since voter's don't like this.

I expect this to be moderated down by chancellor Kurz (you don't have to like him) and not to be taken into serious consideration.

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    So, how do you feel about Colombus today?

(I'm technically abusing my red star to ignore this thread's purpose, but the history thread is burried, and I don't feel in a necromantic mood today)
    I certainly prefer him to Cortez, but he has less of my respect than Amerigo Vespucci and Vasco da Gama. He was a pioneer, for sure. Not a fan of his interactions with the native americans... but my understanding is that he wasn't anywhere near as heinous as Cortez.

EDIT: lol vid is talking shit about Vespucci, I'm learning something.

EDIT2: The bit about Columbus not wanting to make them slaves because google translate gives you poor translations you can reinterpret to your will is truly retarded. Just show both sides, won't you? Obviously Columbus wasn't that nice a guy, in line with most other European colonisers at the time. He should be arguing that he was no worse than anyone else in his profession and his time period and is demonised more than necessary (in recent times), not that he was a perfect saint. He clearly wasn't. Keeping slaves/servants isn't what good, moral people do, in the 21st century. In 16th century Europe though? It was the norm, so he should be judged by the moral standards of the time.

EDIT3: Oof that Treyvor Martin reference betrayed a COMPLETE misunderstanding of what qualifies as murder and what qualifies as manslaughter. Yea it's intent, but it's not about "I didn't wanna kill him when I left the house", that's just adding a premeditated factor, while Murder can occur even just with a split second decision to take an action that will kill someone, while aware of the fact that action will kill someone. So just because you didn't plan to kill "the black kid" beforehand, doesn't mean that when you take out your gun and shoot someone you're not committing murder, because the very act of shooting someone betrays a mens rea sufficient to establish murder instead of manslaughter (even if you were only trying to commit Grievous bodily harm... the intent of which is sufficient to establish murder in many legal systems). Manslaughter means the murder is fully accidental, and there was absolutely no intent to kill or hurt badly in any of the actions that lead to the death. So yah the vid's portrayal of that analogy was super flawed.
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; September 6th, 2018 at 05:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Black Hole View Post
    I wouldn't shout this from the rooftops. European military force is mostly a joke, most of the militaries are underfunded as hell and sending soldiers to another country (especially "boots on the ground") is always a risky business, since voter's don't like this.

I expect this to be moderated down by chancellor Kurz (you don't have to like him) and not to be taken into serious consideration.
    yeah i know, i just thought it was funny

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    I certainly prefer him to Cortez, but he has less of my respect than Amerigo Vespucci and Vasco da Gama. He was a pioneer, for sure. Not a fan of his interactions with the native americans... but my understanding is that he wasn't anywhere near as heinous as Cortez.
    We didn't name the continent(s) America for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Yes, it's a little piece of happiness in all the crap that is our current status.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Awful. But wait, are you African-American?

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

"New York subpoenas Catholic dioceses in sex abuse probe: source" - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN1LM2NF

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post

Awful. But wait, are you African-American?
    Mmmmm-hmmmmm which is why stuff like this bugs the heck out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

the term 'African-american' has always bugged me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    the term 'African-american' has always bugged me a lot.
    Why is that exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Why is that exactly?
    The term doesn't reflect what it is talking about.

Daniel Kaluuya(from get out) is black and English. He is not african or american but he will still be known as african-american.

Jet Li is Chinese. He will not american by any stretch and therefore won't be reference as asian-american but just asian.

The asian-american would be someone mixing both both origin. So the term make sense in that case because you are actually referring to them being asian and american and how both are reflected in the person.

African-american is only about your skin color. It doesn't have anything to so with the USA(which somehow got the monopoly on the name of habitants of the continents because why not) or Africa. It's just just about skin color and as such theterm that somehow appropriate the color to a specific origin is annoying.

In that in that weird US culture it's the most cautious term to use but it is an annoying term to me. But I can see why it is so often use in this country.
    Last edited by desa; September 7th, 2018 at 07:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information