+ Reply to Thread
Page 775 of 851 FirstFirst ... 275 675 725 765 773 774 775 776 777 785 825 ... LastLast
Results 15,481 to 15,500 of 17011

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #15481
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Apparently James Damore is sueing Google. A few months back he wrote a long memo citing biological reasons Google was having trouble reaching 50/50 gender parity, suggesting ways in which google could make its job offers and overall environment more appealing to women. He was fired after employees at google got outraged and made the memo public. Annoyingly, most of what was written in the paper was backed up by peer reviewed papers... but obviously it didn’t fit the left wing narrative that men and women are mentally identical and equally suited and attracted to the same tasks, irrespective of their gender, so he was lynched by progressive outlets calling him “sexist” and promptly fired.
    So he’s sueing them for explicitly discriminating against conservative white men, both through illegal quota systems and harrassment during board meetings, supposedly on the basis of them not helping the gender diversity in the firm enough, and apparently “being conservative at google is like being gay in the 1950’s.”

    I hope he wins, what happened to the man was a travesty, nobody should be fired for citing scientific journals and making suggestions based on them, no matter the reactionary mis-informed left wing media outrage. EDIT: having thought about it a little more, him winning on such wide grounds wouldn’t be good at all. But I do hope he wins on some grounds, perhaps on a stance that google went too far rather than shouldn’t have engaged in the practices at all.

    At the same time, Google is being fined for discriminating against women, as they’re not paying them equal to men for the same jobs. Assuming this is true, I hope this case wins too. It’s ridiculous that Google puts so much effort into hiring diverse minoritypeople and hiring more women than men... only to then pay the women less behind closed doors because all they care about are the stats showing equal representation.

    Apparently they’re also being investigated by the US authorities for pay discrimination.

    This all pisses me off. Quotas and shaming people for not hiring enough women is, in my opinion, a pretty shitty way of raising diversity in your firm. To then ALSO discriminate against women by paying hem less! Goddamn google! That’s double messed up! Of course I’m sure that we’ll all have conflicting ciews on this because the Damore thing was controversial af and many (here too) probably want his head on a stick. Still, thoughts? Feel free to google the memo or the articles talking about it, I’m undeniably biased...
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; January 8th, 2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

  2. #15482

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Damore's lawyer said that Google was a hostile work environment for conservatives because sharing that video of a Nazi getting punched in the face was popular on Google's internal forums.

    So, yeah.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  3. #15483

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I hope he loses, because he's an asshole.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  4. #15484

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Well, I'm still waiting Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple to pay their taxes. Maybe after that, I'll complain about their do-gooder liberal quotas


    Also, it's not because some scientists said something that it means anything.
    Last edited by Nilitch; January 9th, 2018 at 09:06 AM.

  5. #15485

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Apparently James Damore is sueing Google. A few months back he wrote a long memo citing biological reasons Google was having trouble reaching 50/50 gender parity, suggesting ways in which google could make its job offers and overall environment more appealing to women. He was fired after employees at google got outraged and made the memo public. Annoyingly, most of what was written in the paper was backed up by peer reviewed papers... but obviously it didn’t fit the left wing narrative that men and women are mentally identical and equally suited and attracted to the same tasks, irrespective of their gender, so he was lynched by progressive outlets calling him “sexist” and promptly fired.
    Ah yes we had this discussion in the senior member discussion area. And the "peer reviewed" citations consisted of largely discredited science pariahs, several of whom have their own pages on the Southern Poverty Law Center website!

    So you were saying?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Damore's lawyer said that Google was a hostile work environment for conservatives because sharing that video of a Nazi getting punched in the face was popular on Google's internal forums.

    So, yeah.
    Wait, are you telling me that Afro-Samurai has for the twenty fifth time woken up hungover in bed with white supremacist/fascist elements snoring next to him?
    No that would be unprecedented and kooky.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Here's two cool peeps our main man James Damore cited in his thing he wrote that got him fired.

  6. #15486

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    James Damore is basically just fishing for a good payday in the conservative movement. Speaking at CPAC, Fox News contributor, that kind of stuff.

  7. #15487

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Also for the eight hundredth time I shall howl to the moon with peels of laughter at the idea that being a man makes me some sort of engineer by nature.

  8. #15488

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I've been humbled by too many women working in engineer, and by my teachers that I have no chance of overtaking (the female ones) to call bullshit on "Women can't code".

    More in Venezuela than in Spain, I haven't met a female programmer here that was born here.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  9. #15489

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Bitch I couldn't put two lego blocks together without them falling apart.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I've been humbled by too many women working in engineer, and by my teachers that I have no chance of overtaking (the female ones) to call bullshit on "Women can't code".

    More in Venezuela than in Spain, I haven't met a female programmer here that was born here.
    This for me too, except instead it's every woman to ever walk the earth.

  10. #15490
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Ah yes we had this discussion in the senior member discussion area. And the "peer reviewed" citations consisted of largely discredited science pariahs, several of whom have their own pages on the Southern Poverty Law Center website!

    Wait, are you telling me that Afro-Samurai has for the twenty fifth time woken up hungover in bed with white supremacist/fascist elements snoring next to him?
    No that would be unprecedented and kooky.

    Here's two cool peeps our main man James Damore cited in his thing he wrote that got him fired.
    Well, fair enough. I'm in no way qualified to debate the science, I'd heard the science was mostly accurate, I guess it wasn't so. That said, there are obviously differences between male and female brains, are you going to tell me that a gender dymorphic species is gender dymorphic throughout the entire body, except the brain? Come on, that's silly. Same goes for races, you can hate it, you can ignore it, but there are bound to be very slight differences in brain functioning across different races, because there are slight physical differences across races (aside from just melanin - think musculature, skull shape, bone density, genepool). Are they significant differences? No, I don't think so at all, and IQ tests are a dumb way of evaluating differences *anyway* due to IQ results being related to quality of education moreso than anything else. And even if there were differences, the correct approach is to treat and evaluate everyone as an individual, not as a group, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

    Now clearly, I'm pro-making the workplaces like engineering or computer tech less stigmatised against women. But, if despite these efforts, men still consistently apply to courses for IT and Engineering moreso than women, should we be forcing the correction? I think not. You could change the nature of the job to make it more appealing, I see no issue with that. We could increase pay for jobs that involve women more often - like nursing and midwifery. But quotas? Stifles talent to forward equality, especially when the quotas don't reflect the proportions of women compared to men applying. And if anything, the problem seems to be at the promotion stage, not the hiring stage. Only the most extreme quotas are going to fix that, perhaps we should be finding a better way to evaluate people who deserve a promotion to avoid sexism playing a part?

    Also, are you going to deny that on average men tend to be attracted to more autistic tasks (chess, computing, engineering)? Are you going to tell me that evolutionary biology is bullshit, that gendered distribution of hormones play no part in people's behaviour, and that thinking back to hunter gatherer societies to explain evolutionary gender tendencies is "sexist"? I'm not saying women are worse at engineering, I'm saying women who enjoy engineering are less common than men who enjoy engineering, and I reject that it's *just* because of patriarchal constructs.

    But yeah, I'm a sexist white nationalist. Yup. A sexist white nationalist whose in favour of meritocracy, equal pay for equal jobs, increased government spending, a normalisation of race relations, and equal educational systems among different immigrant and native populations within a country to avoid parellel societies and increase friendly intermingling and decrease antagonism. Yep, sexist white nationalist here. (now ban me for speaking my mind)

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Also for the eight hundredth time I shall howl to the moon with peels of laughter at the idea that being a man makes me some sort of engineer by nature.
    Again, maybe not *you*. It's on average. ie. more men are into engineering than women because the tasks involved in engineering appeal to a larger proportion of men than women. But sure, howl at the moon all you want if you find that so shocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

  11. #15491

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    It's not that you're the crypto-Nazi, it's that you're either realllllly naive, or in constant denial about the intellectual and informational company you often keep. Time and time and time again. Over and bloody over.
    Either get comfortable with the call out, or take a long long look in the mirror on why this keeps happening and what has to change to avoid it.

    Also yes thanks, I know you are insisting I have a vagina but I can ensure you I do not. I thought engineers understood how these technical things worked?

  12. #15492
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    It's not that you're the crypto-Nazi, it's that you're either realllllly naive, or in constant denial about the intellectual and informational company you often keep. Time and time and time again. Over and bloody over.
    Either get comfortable with the call out, or take a long long look in the mirror on why this keeps happening and what has to change to avoid it.

    Also yes thanks, I know you are insisting I have a vagina but I can ensure you I do not. I thought engineers understood how these technical things worked?
    I have no problem with admitting naivitè, though isn't that just a difference of opinion that you see as naive? As for my intellectual and informational company, I genuinely do try to scrutinise and not take everything I read or listen to at face value. I tend watch and read very left wing stuff, but I also enjoy sampling what the right/counter-progleft have to offer. I usually end up somewhere inbetween the two. I don't know if it's "denial" so much as being exposed to both sides and wanting to rationalise them both, in a way that makes sense. I'm happy to be called out, will defend my position initially, but if your argument is solid I'm happy to back down.

    HOWEVER. The false equivalence of "more men tend towards engineering than women" and "you think I have a vagina because I don't like engineering" is clearly garbage intellectual dishonesty on your part. It's almost like you're the one in denial about gender dymorphism...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

  13. #15493

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    I have no problem with admitting naivitè, though isn't that just a difference of opinion that you see as naive?
    This isn't about disagreements. It's about the "Oops I'm with the Nazis again??" comedy schtick you keep slipping up on.

    As for my intellectual and informational company, I genuinely do try to scrutinise and not take everything I read or listen to at face value.
    Naw, that's clearly not the case. I think generously I can say you have a better hidden case of the Roboblues, and have some strong magnetic urge to be the smart moderate in the room. Regardless of where the overton window shifts, and of whoopsie the right-wing end has shifted horrifically rightward! But you are obsessed with that magnetic smart guy in the middle South Park thing.
    Generously.

    I tend watch and read very left wing stuff, but I also enjoy sampling what the right/counter-progleft have to offer.
    This is the most empty creedo in the whole world and it's getting to be a kind of tell for certain types of people.

    I usually end up somewhere inbetween the two
    On the contrary I think you've decided ahead of time that you want to be between, and stay in the between no matter what else shifts on the outside.

    I don't know if it's "denial" so much as being exposed to both sides and wanting to rationalise them both, in a way that makes sense.
    Whoopsie! The overton shift means you are rationalizing literal neo-nazis!

    Let's twist the knife some more on scrutiny levels. So this poor poor lawsuit maker who is NOT a sexist and is actually a scienceman, and was complaining about poor conservatives being blacklisted by Google...
    ....for his examples of such discrimination, lists people like Vox Day being blacklisted from Google campuses.
    Vox Day has written in support of: Keeping women uneducated, the pros of honor killings and acid attacks, women being unable to vote, and many forms of rape.

    Rationalize that paisano.

  14. #15494
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    This isn't about disagreements. It's about the "Oops I'm with the Nazis again??" comedy schtick you keep slipping up on.
    Ah well, I guess one can't agree with the right in any circumstance then? I'm not going to let something like "being afraid of people online thinking I'm sympathising with bad people" stop me from defending some arguments they make as valid. The argument itself might be valid, but the exactities or the extremes to which said person (ie. Damore) takes the fairly sensible premise goes outside what is reasonable. That doesn't make a more nuanced take on the general point being put forth illegitimate though, it is possible to pick and choose elements that *are* valid and defend the general point based on them.

    Besides, you call em Nazis, yet most of them are not Nazis. Some of them *are* Neo-Nazis, like Bannon, Milo, Spencer and co. But others aren't, and calling them Nazis when they're just right-wing social-libertarians (and european economic right) (The Sargon crowd) isn't helpful.

    That said, I do agree that these people (including Damore, Sargon, etc) have, in their circle, a far more right-wing slanted overton window, that often goes all the way to the Neo-Nazis (see Sargon vs Spencer recently). This is very unfortunate, because some of their points can be legitimate, but the whole point is undermined when someone notes that one of the sources they use is a racist sexist crazy woman (Vox Day, for example).

    Now, if I trusted the media, I might immediately dismiss everything they say when an article "exposing someone" comes up. But the media's lost credibility in my eyes, so I can't just take what the Wall Street Journal or the BBC say at face value. Let alone something like Salon or Vox. They all labelled PEWDIEPIE a Nazi, and left it up to the reader to go watch unedited clips in context to see if that way actually the case... and no, it wasn't. This is a real problem, because there are real, f'ed up Nazis around, yet often you have to go into and read their stupid racist rabbithole to confirm it, simply because the WSJ has lost all credibility when it comes to calling people out.

    But enough about Nazis and the reason they're successfully co-opting the right, lets move on to the ad hominem!

    Naw, that's clearly not the case. I think generously I can say you have a better hidden case of the Roboblues, and have some strong magnetic urge to be the smart moderate in the room. Regardless of where the overton window shifts, and of whoopsie the right-wing end has shifted horrifically rightward! But you are obsessed with that magnetic smart guy in the middle South Park thing.
    Generously.
    Yeah, you might be right, I haven't thought about *why* I gravitate to the centre, so perhaps it is a magnetic smart guy complex. Oh well, guess my genuine opinions are just a personality complex, that's too bad. But you know, I've actually moved a lot more to the left in the past 3-4 years, so... either your analysis of the overton shift is wrong, or I've stayed the same and our perception of what is left has changed... or perhaps I'm still young and change my mind on things as I'm coloured by experiences and new arguments? Either way, thanks for letting me know I need to fix my centrism psychologist-senpai.

    This is the most empty creedo in the whole world and it's getting to be a kind of tell for certain types of people.
    Sounds like you're telling me you don't like my lack of partisanship, I'm not really sure what you mean. Bear in mind I grew up in Italy, our party system is goddamn nuts and maintaining support for a single party is pretty hard to do unless you're a devout "Berlusconiano" or "Grillino"

    On the contrary I think you've decided ahead of time that you want to be between, and stay in the between no matter what else shifts on the outside.
    Again, I'm giving my genuine opinions, but thankyou for telling me what my subconscious does psychologist-senpai.

    Whoopsie! The overton shift means you are rationalizing literal neo-nazis!

    Let's twist the knife some more on scrutiny levels. So this poor poor lawsuit maker who is NOT a sexist and is actually a scienceman, and was complaining about poor conservatives being blacklisted by Google...
    ....for his examples of such discrimination, lists people like Vox Day being blacklisted from Google campuses.
    Vox Day has written in support of: Keeping women uneducated, the pros of honor killings and acid attacks, women being unable to vote, and many forms of rape.

    Rationalize that paisano.
    Nah, I don't rationalise the Neo-Nazis, I do my best to completely ignore their existence. At most I'll confirm they are actually Neo-Nazis and then never look at anything they write or say ever again. That said, as I mentioned early, I tend to read and watch people who are right of centre, and I explained why this causes some problems earlier in this post.

    Still... what choice do I have? Point me to an anti-pc person whose coherent and doesn't ever engage with the extreme right. Either I seal myself in an echochamber like you guys, or I expose myself to right wing views and run the risk of being very wrong at times when the facts don't check out. I'd rather the latter, and you guys let me know when I'm wrong af, I have no problem with looking bad or being wrong, that's all part of self-improving and learning new perspectives. Most of the time I'm wrong I take some useful nugget of information away from the discussion, so I'm always encouraging debate even when it's a controversial point.

    On a side note, I wouldn't take arguments run in a courtroom as true representations of a person's view. Lawyers are bloodthirsty and will run the crazies most extreme argument if it gives them half a shot at improving their winning chances. And even if Vox is insanely insanely racist/sexist, does that make the whole entire argument for keeping in mind gender dymorphism when trying to fix gender ratios wrong? I struggle with that, I don't think it does.

    (sorry for clogging up the entire page guys )
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; January 10th, 2018 at 04:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

  15. #15495

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    This has been recently leaked https://youtu.be/u_UvvEwAqZo
    It's the assembly of experts choosing next supreme leader after death of Khomeini.
    Here khamenei disagrees about becoming supreme leader many times and says it's against the rules and he doesn't deserve it
    In the end it is agreed that he becomes supreme leader temporary
    This was hidden until an anonymous person leaked it from iran

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Spoiler:

    By fire be purged

  16. #15496
    Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Québec, Québec

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    An enlightening view inside Egypt's "politics" and why Shafik recently said he won't present himself to elections...

    Basicly, military intelligence orders public personalities what to say pretty much word for word.

    http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/middl...111149856.html

  17. #15497

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Aren't we all millennials on this forum though ? except a few ones who are a little bit older and some who haven't left high-school yet (I don't know how many there are. It always seemed to me that people here are like 30)
    Hell no, Gen-X here.

  18. #15498

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Hell no, Gen-X here.
    But, how many of you are there out here ?

  19. #15499

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    There are dozens of them.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  20. #15500
    Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Middleton, ID

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    What generation does being born in 1982 put me in?

    Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts