Closed Thread

Thread: Epoida's Adventures in Photography

Default Epoida's Adventures in Photography

Hello everyone from Arlong Park and elsewhere! This thread doesn't have too much to do with One Piece, but I just thought I'd share some of the several hundred photos I've taken over the duration of three and a half years. Feel free to leave comments if you wish. Thank you and enjoy!

(I also have some sketches and pixel art to share hopefully soon. Probably on a different thread, though...)

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Let's start off with some flowers. These are some of the crocuses that bloom around my home around late March.
    Spoiler:

Close up on a hibiscus on a small tree out front. These are always lovely.
    Spoiler:

Some dandelions in my grandparents' yard.
    Spoiler:

(Getting lazy...) More flowers from around my grandparent' house.
    Spoiler:

There are plenty more where that came from, but let's move on to something else...

Default Re: Epoida's Adventures in Photography

Nice stuff, even if I'm not much of a flower person :D

This probably wouldn't be of much interest, but here are some pictures of sirens. No, not the mythical ones that lure sailors to their deaths. I'm talking about the ones used to warn people of oncoming natural disasters, air raids, nuclear meltdowns, along with standard emergency calls.

This is a Federal Signal XT22 (3t22or 2T22; they're practically identical) located at a fire station in Wallington, New York. These things are dual tone, have 22 projectors, and were made from the 1950s-1990s. The difference between a 2T22 and 3T22 is that the 3T has three tones (alert, attack and hi-lo), while the 2T only has the first two.
    Spoiler:

Next, we have the ACA Thunderbolt 1003 located on top of the fire station in Alton, New York. These are also duel tone, this particular model is capable of hi-lo as well. Thunderbolts were also made from the 1950s-1990s.
    Spoiler:

Last but not least, here is the Federal Signal STH 10 located by the post office in North Rose, New York; the small town I spent the first seven years of my life. I think these were made from the 1950s/60s-2006. All I know is that this thing used to scare the shit out of me since I was little, and still kinda creeps me out to this day. Especially if it goes off in the middle of the night while I'm visiting my grandparents... It's single tone and sounds like death.
    Spoiler:

There you have it. Sorry if I bored you with the details...

Quote Originally Posted by Epoida View Post
    This probably wouldn't be of much interest, but here are some pictures of sirens. No, not the mythical ones that lure sailors to their deaths. I'm talking about the ones used to warn people of oncoming natural disasters, air raids, nuclear meltdowns, along with standard emergency calls.

This is a Federal Signal XT22 (3t22or 2T22; they're practically identical) located at a fire station in Wallington, New York. These things are dual tone, have 22 projectors, and were made from the 1950s-1990s. The difference between a 2T22 and 3T22 is that the 3T has three tones (alert, attack and hi-lo), while the 2T only has the first two.

Next, we have the ACA Thunderbolt 1003 located on top of the fire station in Alton, New York. These are also duel tone, this particular model is capable of hi-lo as well. Thunderbolts were also made from the 1950s-1990s.

Last but not least, here is the Federal Signal STH 10 located by the post office in North Rose, New York; the small town I spent the first seven years of my life. I think these were made from the 1950s/60s-2006. All I know is that this thing used to scare the shit out of me since I was little, and still kinda creeps me out to this day. Especially if it goes off in the middle of the night while I'm visiting my grandparents... It's single tone and sounds like death.

There you have it. Sorry if I bored you with the details...
    You're Arnold Rimmert aren't you ?

Really though these were all pretty interesting. I find it entertaining to learn more about mundane objects from time to time. You're surprised by all the things you don't know.

Alright, after the boring flowers and sirens, let's move on to something a bit more festive. Here are photos of some of the things I saw at the Sterling Renaissance Festival back in 2012.

Here's some metal sculptures that were for sale at one of the many booths. They were very expensive, but very pretty.

Spoiler:

Yeah, still kinda boring, but this stuff was really cool! Another stand was selling these things called Fairy Doors. They're mini wooden doors decorated with fantastic designs.
    Spoiler:

And for you Doctor Who fans:

From the joust:
    Spoiler:

(I kinda got my aunt's camera lens in the shot...)

At the face paint booth...
    Spoiler:

And here's a beautiful, hand-made puppet creature. They were a bit pricey, but cute nonetheless.
    Spoiler:

That's all I'm gonna post for now. Next time, I'll do the photos from my trip to New York City over the summer. Thanks for looking!

Really liking these so far :D

What was that big nosed thing btw ?

It was just a small cup full of water for wetting the brushes.

Oh, I'm glad! Maybe I'll post some more today... :)

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

As promised, here are some photos from my trip to New York City in June. I went with my sisters, aunt, and one of my cousins, and was my second time going. There was so much to see!

Here's a picture of the signs for the Hershey's store in Times Square. Not a bad store, but I prefer Kinder chocolate.
    Spoiler:

Close to Times Square was a book store called Bookoff, and it had all sorts of new and used books, CDs, video games and more from here and Japan! Downstairs was chock full of more manga than I've ever seen in my life. This is the only picture I took in there, since I was trembling with the delight of seeing so many books, and my sisters were rushing me. These brand new, Japanese text One Piece books were only $6.00 each, but they also had used books of the English version for about $5.00. I was looking for Dr. Slump, but ended up picking up a couple of the used One Piece books. I would've picked up some more stuff if my sisters weren't so impatient. Still one of the best ten minutes of my life so far, though.
    Spoiler:

Later, we went to the Empire State building to watch the sunset. This was the highlight of the trip, I think...
    Spoiler:

This is the new building they call "The Freedom Tower". It isn't completely finished yet, but I think it's supposed to be the new World Trade Center.

We returned to the hotel kinda late, which had a view of the Empire State building. This is what it looked like at midnight...

...And in the morning...

Later, we went to the memorial for what happened on 9/11. There were two pool-like fountains in the places where the towers used to be. Here's one of them. Also, you can see the "Freedom Tower" being built in the background.
    Spoiler:

Afterwards, we were all hot and cranky like five year olds, so we decided to go to some bistro place for lunch. I got a couple pictures of my sisters, but I'll respect their privacy and not post them here; though the one of Rachael flipping me off is kinda funny... Instead, here's a set of salt and pepper shakers.

This fountain was pretty cool.
    Spoiler:

The name of this building escapes me, but here it is...

Some pigeons. (Hm, I wonder if they know Hattori or Nia...)
    Spoiler:

"No, wait! I just want to ask you a question!" (This one started walking faster.)

Well, I guess this is enough for today. What to do tomorrow? Sunsets? Animals? It doesn't really matter which, I suppose... Anyway, thanks again for looking!
    Last edited by Epoida; September 28th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information