Closed Thread
Page 479 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 379 429 469 477 478 479 480 481 489 529 579 979 ... LastLast
Results 9,561 to 9,580 of 26007

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    Luffy always gives his all to defeat his opponent only to collapse the second he's beaten. How was Whitebeard any different from that?
    Thats not at all what I'm talking about.

I think you're confusing durability with endurance :T

Quote Originally Posted by Redx View Post
    Thats not at all what I'm talking about.

I don't really see any difference in them. All I saw was Whitebeard giving his all to his last battle, ignoring all the injuries trough sheer willpower until his boundaries finally reached him.

What do you even mean by saying that BBs used haki? CoA can only help you touch logias or harden your body and weapons. Whitebeard wasn't a logia, and I doubt those bullets really needed to be "harder" to hit him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf89 View Post
    My point is, that people resistant to the idea of getting another "monster" in the Strawhats are putting the idea of a Monster Trio up on a pedestal. That it is short sighted and that there's nothing written in the series or in extended material that Oda considers that there should only ever be three "really strong" guys in the Strawhats. It's a fan term that people got comfortable with because the dynamic existed for a long time, but it's also one that more or less has to disappear when we get a new crewmember. The comment itself was an attempt to draw a parallel between thought processes before the current dynamic was established, and how silly they would appear in hindsight.

As I presume they will appear after we get another "monster" on the crew.
    Actually monster trio is not a fan made up term. Robin, Nami, Usopp etc has called Luffy, Zoro and Sanji the monster trio, so if Oda wrote himself in his manga then yeah it's not fan-made.

Even after Timeskip Usopp said to Nami- "I have graduated from the weak trio, so is just you and chopper now" something like that(forgotten exactly how it was said).. So this kinda implies Oda is pushing readers to see Usopp, Nami and Chopper as weak trio.

Big MoM ate - 2012
    CC for nakama.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK_RITUAL View Post
    Actually monster trio is not a fan made up term. Robin, Nami, Usopp etc has called Luffy, Zoro and Sanji the monster trio, so if Oda wrote himself in his manga then yeah it's not fan-made..
    The three with monstrous strength. People perverting that into "you must be this weak in order to join the crew" is the issue.

Also Robin never called them the M3 as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    The three with monstrous strength. People perverting that into "you must be this weak in order to join the crew" is the issue.
    well I guess I'm staying out of this one.

Also Robin never called them the M3 as far as I know.
    Yeah she did, maybe not exactly "monster trio" but something close to it. I can see it in my head but I can't picture or put together what chapter she said it or what was happening when she said it.

Big MoM ate - 2012
    CC for nakama.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK_RITUAL View Post
    Yeah she did, maybe not exactly "monster trio" but something close to it. I can see it in my head but I can't picture or put together what chapter she said it or what was happening when she said it.
    The only thing that comes close to it is the scene at Thriller Bark where she said that Zoro's zombie is extremely strong, while Zoro's zombie remarked that he can't put his guard down against her ability.

I don't really see any difference in them.
    Endurance is basically your ability to tolerate a certain amount of pain without being rendered unconscious and durability is basically the amount of damage your body is capable of taking without being torn apart. The reason I say they clearly must have had Haki imbued into their weapons is that Blackbeard Pirates were actually able to inflict wounds on his body whereas similar weapons of the same caliber(used by fodder) were not.

CoA can only help you touch logias or harden your body and weapons. Whitebeard wasn't a logia, and I doubt those bullets really needed to be "harder" to hit him.
    Haki doesn't allow you to merely "harden" things it also increases the force(and possibly the speed) behind your attacks.

That isn't certain. It's possible he simply wasn't using it in that instance(we don't know if Auger even knew that Ace was a logia at that point) but even if he was using it we've seen instances of Haki having no effect on logias. See: Marco + Vista vs Akainu. So for all we know Ace's own Haki(if he was indeed capable of utilizing it) might have neutralized Auger's.

Blackbeard clearly knew Haki though. He sensed Luffy's Haki back in impel down and he and his entire crew managed to actually damage Whitebeard with bullets even when such weaponry previously did no damage at all to the old man.
    And I thought you were one of those annoying guys who think Haki is the answer to everything. I couldn't be more wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by madriano View Post
    I thought you were one of those annoying guys who think Haki is the answer to everything.
    Of course not.

Right now I'm only arguing for high/top tiers having Haki since I'm pretty sure the majority(if not all) of them have been capable of utilizing it for years. It's just that it wasn't made as obvious before the timeskip as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    The only thing that comes close to it is the scene at Thriller Bark where she said that Zoro's zombie is extremely strong, while Zoro's zombie remarked that he can't put his guard down against her ability.
    i see. But whenever time in future I remember or find out what the scene I'm thinking of is, then I will quote you.

Big MoM ate - 2012
    CC for nakama.

You've had your fair share of power level discussions, haven't you?

Don't know what it's doing here though.
    Last edited by Ordinary; July 15th, 2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Hmmmh

Endurance is basically your ability to tolerate a certain amount of pain without being rendered unconscious and durability is basically the amount of damage your body is capable of taking without being torn apart.
    Either way Whitebeard obviously had inhuman amounts of both.

The reason I say they clearly must have had Haki imbued into their weapons is that Blackbeard Pirates were actually able to inflict wounds on his body whereas similar weapons of the same caliber(used by fodder) were not.
    Of course they were able to wound him! This isn't some video game where characters have certain "levels" and you need to have that and that level to wound higher level characters. Whitebeard was still a human being! A needle could've made him bleed just like anyone else. Stick a couple thousand needles to him and he dies for blood loss. It's not that complicated.

Haki doesn't allow you to merely "harden" things it also increases the force(and possibly the speed) behind your attacks.
    And where has that been stated/shown? I know that Vergo became more muscular when he used haki (and I admit, that could have been explained a little more), but he could have been using Life Return like Lucci. And even if we assume Vergo used haki to make hmself stronger, I don't think those pistols had any muscles to grow.

Again I don't really see why haki would be needed to explain Blackbeards dealing the final blow. Whitebeard was a monster, but he had grown old and sick. He couldn't be the strongest forever. For one last time he gave his all, taking on the Governments entire military might, not resting until his son was safe or dead, and finally succumbing to what every mortal man has to eventually face: death. If anything, I'd say the idea that "he merrily skipped his day away with those hakiless fodders stinging him once in a while until big bad Blackbeard came and struck him down" would just cheapen the overall message.
    Last edited by Light Bro; July 15th, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    You've had your fair share of power level discussions, haven't you?

Don't know what it's doing here though.
    Unfortunately :(

We ended up in this discussion because one person is apparently very confused about this stuff.

Cavendish 4 Nakama!

Either way Whitebeard obviously had inhuman amounts of both.
    And? That doesn't exactly change my point :/

Of course they were able to wound him! This isn't some video game where characters have certain "levels" and you need to have that and that level to wound higher level characters. Whitebeard was still a human being! A needle could've made him bleed just like anyone else. Stick a couple thousand needles to him and he dies for blood loss. It's not that complicated.
    First off not all types of damage are the same.

Secondly, Whitebeard himself had Haki so in order to get past it Teach and his crew would have needed powerful Haki of their own. It's that simple.

And where has that been stated/shown?
    Have you like...been paying attention to this series at all?

You've been paying far too much attention to the post skip stuff involving the Black Haki and forgetting the preskip showings.

I really shouldn't even have to go over this with you -_-

Again I don't really see why haki would be needed to explain Blackbeards dealing the final blow.
    Really?

>Explosions to the face couldn't even put a dent in his mustache
    >Bullets from current top tiers manage to deal damage
    >"No Haki" involved

C'mon man. This isn't that hard :T

Quote Originally Posted by SH-Avenger View Post
    Cavendish 4 Nakama!
    I guess if a new swordsman was to join the crew, someone with his style might be different enough. His dual personality could be interesting with the crew, but we need to see more of it in this arc. After seeing this chapter, I have a feeling Bellamy has a better chance being a new member, especially with wanting to be a pirate. Luffy's crew is perfect.

And? That doesn't exactly change my point :/

First off not all types of damage are the same.

Secondly, Whitebeard himself had Haki so in order to get past it Teach and his crew would have needed powerful Haki of their own. It's that simple.

You've been paying far too much attention to the post skip stuff involving the Black Haki and forgetting the preskip showings.

Really?

>Explosions to the face couldn't even put a dent in his mustache
    >Bullets from current top tiers manage to deal damage
    >"No Haki" involved

C'mon man. This isn't that hard :T
    For the last time: Whitebeard isn't a Logia...oh wait ! Trebol Jooooooke ! Yohohohoho !
    You are free to think that Haki was used, but please don't act like the manga proves you right and other people are dumb. There is nothing going your way that can't be explained otherwise.

...Yeah now that I think about it, there were some earlier instances, like Kuja warriors and their arrows... My bad!

But still:

Spoiler:

I don't belive for a second that those blows didn't deal any damage to him. Why would he be panting if they did?

Maybe BBs did use haki, I don't know. But he was pretty badly injured already. He would've kicked the bucket sooner or later. That's why he chose to stay behind and fight Marines himself when Ace was freed after all.

Spoiler:

And I think the whole explosion-proof mustache thingy can be pinned down on the fact that this is an action manga, not real life.
    Last edited by Light Bro; July 16th, 2014 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    I guess if a new swordsman was to join the crew, someone with his style might be different enough. His dual personality could be interesting with the crew, but we need to see more of it in this arc. After seeing this chapter, I have a feeling Bellamy has a better chance being a new member, especially with wanting to be a pirate. Luffy's crew is perfect.
    His over-the-top personality would hit a brick wall repeatedly with the Straw Hats.

Lots of interesting characters in the New World that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SH-Avenger View Post
    His over-the-top personality would hit a brick wall repeatedly with the Straw Hats.

Lots of interesting characters in the New World that's for sure.
    That's true. If a new person was to join from this arc, my top three picks would be Bellamy, Cavendish, and Bartolomeo. They've had the most time to show their character and abilities among the rest of them.

Closed Thread

Thread Information