• Other

4 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: post-punk is realy cool

Default Re: post-punk is realy cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Not if they lean too heavily into new wave
    He-hey man! What about my joke?! Like, Neue Deutsche Welle means New German Wave. In review I realize it wasn't much of a joke anyways.

I knew what you were talking about but I thought that neue deutsche welle wasn't just the equivalent of new wave. It was more of a movement that had quite a bit of people making different kinds of music in it. At least as far as I know and I could be wrong.

Spoiler:
    Maybe that was the joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarfallet View Post
    So... Would the NDW folks be considered Post-Punk?
    i havnt heard much of it, seems more like some weird continental europe offshoot of it if anything

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    i havnt heard much of it, seems more like some weird continental europe offshoot of it if anything
    Yeah... Yeah, who need that weird European stuff... No, but there's some stuff in there that totally could be beneficial for your general well being. Like Der Plan which are super fun and Palais Schaumburg and others.
    But if it really isn't Post-Punk we best stop talking about it or that hardcore thread-starter might be gonna kick us out fast as mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarfallet View Post
    Yeah... Yeah, who need that weird European stuff...
    post-punk is mostly wierd european stuff to begin with thoug
    just cuz brits pretend otherwise doesnt make them not extremely yurrepean
    that theyr really powerfully in denial about it is the biggest tell that they are it
    like when kanadians and mericans try and act like we're not exactly the same, yeah we are and they both kno it real bad

But if it really isn't Post-Punk we best stop talking about it or that hardcore thread-starter might be gonna kick us out fast as mad.
    far as im concerned wen i say post-punk i basically mean weird vaguely dark british dominated stuff that came out right after punk that was variously into textural scratchy guitars, electronics, spooky atmosphere sometimes bordering on goth, and being arty.

new wave is some other generally brighter quirkier post-modern pop phenomenon

like they're cousins of the same historical turning point, but with totally different personalities and style,
    like plain punk is blossom, new wave is bubbles, and post-punk is buttercup
    of the urban rock chemical x expeirement

Anyone know any post punk that has influences from non-western type music? Or any that uses instruments other than guitar/bass/drums to a great extent. Been listening to the Ex and Dog Faced Hermans a lot recently and want more stuff like that.

Got no recommendations for you sadly, Sakon, though this thread's bump's giving me a good reason to post this for my most recent post-punk band to obsess over:

Posted this in the what are you listening to thread last night and it kind of fits what I'm looking for.

So I think Joy Division is finally starting to grow on me

Anyone know any post punk that has influences from non-western type music? Or any that uses instruments other than guitar/bass/drums to a great extent. Been listening to the Ex and Dog Faced Hermans a lot recently and want more stuff like that.
    Well most of it has lots of Dub influence if that counts as non-western.
    And there's all that tribal drumming in stuff like The Pop Group or Raincoats.
    Savage Republic comes to mind as well.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    So I think Joy Division is finally starting to grow on me

If you enjoy that song it might be best to listen to New Order's Movement next rather than the Joy Division proper duo of albums.
    I personally consider it the same band myself anyway, aside from well...you know.
    Movement is way more like the JD albums than it is the rest of New Order's records.

Also if you like Post-Punk with lots of synth use...
    -Ultravox: is worth a look though they're ultimately kinda medicore. Though this song owns. Not rock music but the debut album from their orginal lead guy is a cool early synth release too, check this song out.
    -Gary Numan/Tubeway Army: People usually just call them synth-pop but that's not all true. Even solo Gary uses lots of real drums and bass guitar.
    -Japan: Check out Quiet Life and Gentlemen Take Polaroids. Same principle as solo Gary Numan, sparse use of lead guitar but otherwise still a rock band in action. Bass guitar all over. If your adventurous try out Tin Drum.
    -The Sound: Very similar to somewhat synthy Joy Division material. Moody and dark too.
    -Wire: Their third album and the first solo album from Colin Newman have some cool synth work on them. Though choppy and harsh.

If you enjoy that song it might be best to listen to New Order's Movement next rather than the Joy Division proper duo of albums.
    I personally consider it the same band myself anyway, aside from well...you know.
    Movement is way more like the JD albums than it is the rest of New Order's records.
    To elaborate on what I previous post:

I've actually already listened to Unknown Pleasures and Closer a few times over the last year or two. I decided to listen to Unknown Pleasures again last week since it had a been while and, yeah, for some reason it just clicked this time. The morose and haunting tone of their music, while, yes, also having some inventive instrumentals, really made for some nice easy listening, which is what I think I really wanted at the time. I also finally listened to (JD's) Substance for the first time, so yeah, I've kind of been on a JD kick this past week. I just posted Love Will Tear Us Apart because, yeah, it's a great song.

Oh, and I've listened to Movement once before, but New Order is definitely on my list of bands to delve deeper into.

Also if you like Post-Punk with lots of synth use...
    -Ultravox: is worth a look though they're ultimately kinda medicore. Though this song owns. Not rock music but the debut album from their orginal lead guy is a cool early synth release too, check this song out.
    -Gary Numan/Tubeway Army: People usually just call them synth-pop but that's not all true. Even solo Gary uses lots of real drums and bass guitar.
    -Japan: Check out Quiet Life and Gentlemen Take Polaroids. Same principle as solo Gary Numan, sparse use of lead guitar but otherwise still a rock band in action. Bass guitar all over. If your adventurous try out Tin Drum.
    -The Sound: Very similar to somewhat synthy Joy Division material. Moody and dark too.
    -Wire: Their third album and the first solo album from Colin Newman have some cool synth work on them. Though choppy and harsh.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been meaning to check out Gary Numan and 154 (the first two Wire albums are pretty great), and I listened to Gentlemen Take Polaroids once, but...I need to listen to it again.

Well most of it has lots of Dub influence if that counts as non-western.
    And there's all that tribal drumming in stuff like The Pop Group or Raincoats.
    Savage Republic comes to mind as well.
    Dub influenced stuff is cool but not really what I'm looking for. If you have any recommendations for dub influenced post punk I would like that though. I've listened to a couple artists with that but not too much.

And yeah, started listening to Savage Republic right after making that post and they're pretty good.

This thread is all kinds of win and deserves more attention. Very underrated. I really dig the joy division and the cure. The former being more depressing and dark but honestly I really like the sound and was able to get into. With that said it's interesting to note how shoegaze was influenced from post punk. But post punk came from germanys krautrock.

Is anyone else keeping up with the underground scene? I mean new and upcoming talent not old 80s stuff (as awesome as they are). I'm digging this right now. More dream-pop than post punk though, but definitely has post-punk in it.

People should post new stuff in here. Superb track

https://seventeenyears.bandcamp.com/...l-of-the-dread

Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake View Post

Is anyone else keeping up with the underground scene? I mean new and upcoming talent not old 80s stuff (as awesome as they are). I'm digging this right now. More dream-pop than post punk though, but definitely has post-punk in it.
    Yeah, there's actually been some really decent stuff popping up lately - pretty nice scene growing. Been really into stuff with female vocals.

These guys are pretty rad, awesome live shows too. They kind of teeter on... well, honestly I think their catalog is like a perpetual wrestling match between post punk and shoegaze. Isn't much on youtube but they have full EPs on bandcamp.
    Hidden:

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Or any that uses instruments other than guitar/bass/drums to a great extent.
    This might be up your alley, maybe? Lotta horns, some jazzy sax, etc.

Post-punk but mixed with other genres. I think any band taht blends different genres is very important to me. I don't want to see another "post-punk revival". So I think this could pave the way forward with something, if someone takes it and expands on it. They are super fucking bleek though so might not be for everyone. Friends showed me this band.

Considering that album came out almost a decade ago if it was going to have any effect it probably would have already.

thats true. I think it's one of those records nobody is really paying attention to. It's an interesting album for sure. but it's really bleek so i get why people aren't into it.

also, great modern post punk.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information