3 15.00%
  • Other

4 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: post-punk is realy cool

Default Re: post-punk is realy cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Post-punk is a great little genre of music. It's got a unique detached feel that can be just pure sex on the ears. Honestly, though, I don't know much beyond the basics (which at least includes everything on the poll). Maybe this will have to be my next exploration...

The poll was a tough call, but I had to give it to the Chameleons. All of Strange Times is just SO GOOD. Every time I listen to it, the songs just glow more and more in my mind. They also stick in my mind much better than anything else on the list.

I'm going into a Chameleons kick right now, sort of trying to really dig into their records. Like I always liked them but now I'm trying to go deeper because well there's a fuck of a lot going on in them dense songs! They're really cool.

The Cure and New Order were on a festival I was 2 weeks ago and I really wanted to see them but... I didn't. Yes, I feel horribly bad about it.

"Unicorns can't see into your heart. All our dumb horns can do is glow, point towards the nearest rainbow and play rave music!"

Visit my Etsy Shop: Heart'n'Skull or Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    The Cure and New Order were on a festival I was 2 weeks ago and I really wanted to see them but... I didn't. Yes, I feel horribly bad about it.
    I dunno, Robert Smith really needs to stop wearing that makeup. He looked dumb in it in the 80's when he was still youngish. Now he looks really goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I dunno, Robert Smith really needs to stop wearing that makeup. He looked dumb in it in the 80's when he was still youngish. Now he looks really goofy.
    I'm trying not to look at any videos of the show or others, cuz I don't want to know exactly what I missed.

I even know from some friends that they found it boring (others loved it), but even if it was boring, I would have been happy to see em. You know, just because.

"Unicorns can't see into your heart. All our dumb horns can do is glow, point towards the nearest rainbow and play rave music!"

Visit my Etsy Shop: Heart'n'Skull or Tumblr

It's hard to pick, out of all of those I've only heard/listened to Joy Division, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Chameleons..I'll have to go with the last one.
    Hidden:
    Last edited by Densuke; July 10th, 2012 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nodensuke View Post
    It's hard to pick, out of all of those I've only heard/listened to Joy Division, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Chameleons..I'll have to go with the last one.
    Hidden:
    I'm convinced Soul in Isolation may be one of the best songs ever.

Bumping this up because two of my favorite bands haven't been mentioned here (TBF, it wasn't until three months ago (!) that I'd even consider them my favorite bands):
    Spoiler:

(OK, so maybe the Bobbies are more new wave than post-punk but if XTC and B-52s...)

(EDIT: huh apparently a closer scan of this thread reveals Zeph talking about them in passing alongside the Heads...)

Spoiler:

Also, want to see what kind of memories this brings up for Zephos lol; you've come a long way, man!
    Last edited by Pachylad; May 29th, 2015 at 11:14 PM.

So hard to choose! I love most of those bands. I'll have to listen to Birthday Party, I do like Nick Cave's voice, so this definitely caught my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    Bumping this up because two of my favorite bands haven't been mentioned here (TBF, it wasn't until three months ago (!) that I'd even consider them my favorite bands):
    Spoiler:

(OK, so maybe the Bobbies are more new wave than post-punk but if XTC and B-52s...)

(EDIT: huh apparently a closer scan of this thread reveals Zeph talking about them in passing alongside the Heads...)

Spoiler:

Also, want to see what kind of memories this brings up for Zephos lol; you've come a long way, man!
    police aint post-punk wtf

pylon is fucking awesome and I dont know what to categorize them as exactly, not the like dark british style stuff this thread is about but i see a connection maybe,

pylon is really cool

From the right side of the border, by which I mean, Sweden, ;

Hidden:

Cortex - Shotgun treatment (live 1986)

kitchen & the plastic spoons - ice cream to god

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    police aint post-punk wtf

pylon is fucking awesome and I dont know what to categorize them as exactly, not the like dark british style stuff this thread is about but i see a connection maybe,

pylon is really cool
    Police are new wave, which even if you don't consider it a subgenre of post punk (and considering it's quite diverse) they are related. Quite a lot of new wave bands are pretty heavily punk influenced and a lot of bands are considered both new wave and post punk.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/new+wave

The punk rock influence of new wave make it a close cousin of Post-Punk, the two genres evolving from punk rock at about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Police are new wave, which even if you don't consider it a subgenre of post punk (and considering it's quite diverse) they are related. Quite a lot of new wave bands are pretty heavily punk influenced and a lot of bands are considered both new wave and post punk.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/new+wave
    you're not seriously posting this at me r u because lolll

irgnoring that this is like posting mexico in the spain thread and trying to explain to people y you did so when they're like "Hey that's mexico, this thread is for Spain"

Oh shit I got Zeph into a debate about genres.

I'll just say I'll concede to him that the Police may not really be post-punk, but specific songs like "Omegaman" could still fit the bill... somewhat? They were really a melting pot of genres - you couldn't call them a straight-up new wave band either.

And yeah Pylon is hella cool, please find me another female vocalist who rocks as hard as Vanessa Briscoe Hay kthnxbai.

Hidden:
    *waits to see how many people name Siouxsie Sioux or the girls from Sleater-Kinney*

Pylon never got the credit they deserved.

As for genres, confusing new wave for post-punk is like confusing disco for funk. They are related by genealogy, but no way dudes like Joy Division or The Chameleons would let The Police or the B-52s smoke with them.

Some music just to round out the post: this band was formed out of the dudes from Sad Lovers & Giants and definitely a go-to of mine:

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

There's a bunch of post-punk bands I still need to listen to or give a few more listens.

However, based on the stuff I'm more acquainted with, I'm a bit divisive on post-punk. The Cure and Wire I like just fine, but I really have trouble connecting with Joy Division and Public Image Ltd. I've listened to Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and Metal Box several times, but most of it just sounds like montonous droning music that just doesn't resonate with me.

Joy Division and PiL are definitely up there on the "unlikeable post-punk twerps" list. The former's penchant for uncomfortable expressions of depression and the latter's inclusion of a certain Johnny Rotten don't exactly make them as approachable as the likes of Bunnymen and the Banshees, who were - at least for me - easier gateways into the genre.

Funny that you managed to latch on to Wire so quickly though; I'd add them as a third group to my aforementioned list personally, except that I somehow have less (personal) affection for them than the other two: there's a succinct review of them that also conveys some of my confusion at being unable to connect with them. I can enjoy them theoretically but never seem to channel that enjoyment into personal affection (like Talking Heads except the brain-heart divide is even more severe):
    simple, concise, and powerful, but like a logical argument rather than a fist to the face

Pink Flag is kind of a mixed bag for me. Some songs I like, and some are whatever, but overall it's enough for me to enjoy it.

However, I listened to Chairs Missing a few months ago, and I really enjoyed it (need to give it another listen some time).

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    another female vocalist who rocks as hard as Vanessa Briscoe Hay kthnxbai.

Hidden:
    *waits to see how many people name Siouxsie Sioux or the girls from Sleater-Kinney*
    no no in my review for their debut i was all over how she sounded organically ROCK as fuck with female vocals and not sort of trying too hard to sounds like hard male vocalists, like she did things that only a higher voice could do that were awesomely acerbic
    well i mean i guess geddy lee could sing like that if he wanted, so maybe not so much a gender thing as a vocal range thing

tldr she is really cool

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    There's a bunch of post-punk bands I still need to listen to or give a few more listens.

However, based on the stuff I'm more acquainted with, I'm a bit divisive on post-punk. The Cure and Wire I like just fine, but I really have trouble connecting with Joy Division and Public Image Ltd. I've listened to Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and Metal Box several times, but most of it just sounds like montonous droning music that just doesn't resonate with me.
    it's more atmpospheric and moody, especially lots of Metal Box
    u need to xpand your musical appetite to unlock that i guess

though i dunno i always thought unknown pleasures was pretty rockin in a pot-punk way

So... Would the NDW folks be considered Post-Punk?

Not if they lean too heavily into new wave

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information