+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strong World Cannon Prop Materials

Default Strong World Cannon Prop Materials

Me and my friend are planning on building some of the Strong World cannons (Luffy's and Zoro's), and was wondering what people may recommend for materials?

Right now I'm thinking of using a PVC pipe for the barrel, and I think I found something for the head of the barrel. The body I was recommended to use some polystyrene foam, but I'm unsure how well the pvc pipe will hold to it. That, and I'm kind of at a lost on what I should use on the piece between the barrel and body of the cannons, and how to really get the roundness of the end of both of the cannons :/ Would appreciate any tips :D I'm hoping to start this next week as soon as a Strong World Luffy figure I order comes in so I can try to get some scale measurements on the size of the cannon

Default Re: Strong World Cannon Prop Materials

Use liquid expanding foam and gorilla glue to hold the foam to the pipe. I'll ask my hubby (he is the prop maker in the family.) for tips on how to round out the cannon or maybe for other material to use. I know for the Burn Bazooka, we used a cardboard shipping tube.

image credit to Fleur. <3

DA LJ twitter

Thanks! I was actually considering using a cardboard tube for the barrel, but the PVC pipe is cheap enough and no worries about it breaking or bending. Pretty much the roundness of the end of the cannon, and the metal piece that goes over the end. Also if you have any tips on the thing on the center of the cannon, that would be great :D

Picture
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...f/p1080678.jpg

I'd use foam for the body of the cannon as you say yourself, to keep it light. Then you can cover it in gesso, sand it and make the wood marks. The plate in the middle I'd probably sculpt in clay and make the two protruding pieces from wood.

Thanks for the tip on the gesso stuff. Luckily I have some hobby stores by me that sells that. Originally I was just going to use something like a posterboard (few layers of it) for the plate and details, but might consider clay. Just not sure if hardened clay might break easily :/

Pretty much now all I need to figure out is the handle, and the ends of the body of the cannon :D

If you use fimo or sculpey I don't think it'll break that easy.
    By the way, I think I might have given you wrong advice, you'll want bondo instead of gesso. Well, it might be the same I'm not sure, but go for bondo if you have access to it.
    Last edited by Areebee; September 8th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Try using a softer easy to carve wood for that part. It might hold up decently.

DA LJ twitter

Thanks for the responses Areebee and omnichild!

Areebee: I'll have to see what kind of clay my hobby lobby has. Also do you happen to know a store that sells bondo? My hobby lobby has the gesso stuff. Never used it before, but the description sounds like it might work http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...-gesso-137422/

omnichild: I may need to look into softer wood types. Problem is I have very little cutting tools around my house, outside of a basic saw, and smaller cutting tools like xacto knives and scissors

Once I get my SW Luffy figure and get a good look at the strap, I may need to start looking for one. Any suggestions at all? :D Right now I'm thinking maybe I can find a decent guitar strap or something, but maybe there's something better. I need to get a good look at it

Check walmart for Bondo. My husband buys it there. Look in the automotive section. Also get me a good picture of the strap and I"ll give you some suggestions.

DA LJ twitter

Checked out the Gesso stuff, and according to the person at Hobby Lobby, it should work for what I want. As for the strap, best picture I can find for now :/ Looking at it, it's going to be fun trying to figure out how to attach it to the cannon...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ffymovie10.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...OL-3316_01.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h45m04s211.png

I'm also most likely using foam for the piece at the front of the body of the weapon, and took a look at some clay which should hopefully work well for the plates and details. All I need to figure out now is the end of the gun :D

Use a seat belt?

DA LJ twitter

Lol, no spare seat belts around :( On the other hand, I did get a suggestion on using webbing for it. I found one that's about the right width, but the color is more white than it is grey. I'm leaning towards that now. Only thing is that I'm probably going to find some type of buckle so I can adjust the length if need be. There's not too many buckle things for the 3" ones though.

Also it may be hard finding the triangle thing that hooks the strap to the gun. Looking at some triangle carbiners, but only one I found so far is too small :(

I did buy the foam yesterday, and got the pattern drawn out. Going to cut the thing tomorrow, and then go from there :D Finally getting somewhere

Can't wait to see pictures of your progress.

As for the buckle go check a Joann's or Hancock's

DA LJ twitter

you guys are making me want to make a gun and I KNOW I don't know how xD I'm super excited to see pics though of progress *U*

I will post finished pictures when I'm done :D Joann is actually the place that has different size webbing, and I completely forgot the store existed until Saturday. I also might go with a 2" strap instead, but I will hopefully have most of my parts bought by this weekend. So far I have the body of the gun cut out, and that's about it so far :/

what are you using for the gun? is it foam or wood? just curious xD

Using foam. I was sort of tempted to make it out of wood, but not sure how much of a pain it would be to carry around, since it would have been hanging from my shoulder most of the time

Finally done. It turned out ok. Clay kept cracking, and ended up a little bumpy :/ That's why the picture aren't close up :D

It looks really nice though! Are you bringing it to ACen? I want to see it in person.

DA LJ twitter

my god it's beautiful! I wish I could make one *A* I LOVE the shape!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information