+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night Talk Shows

Default Re: Conan O達rien won't move The Tonight Show at 12:05 am for Leno

Actually its more like Backstage politics that got Leno, the Tonight Show in the first place. You have to somewhat feel bad for Dave. I was kid during this time, when this stuff was happening and I used to watch Johnny Carson and David Letterman with my dad, when I was Preschool. And it was shocking stuff. And I still think Leno and NBC should rot for this. Since the only reason I watch NBC is for Conan now. And the way they are treating Conan is like how they were treating Scrubs before it went to ABC.

Default Re: Conan O’Brien won't move The Tonight Show at 12:05 am for Leno

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    So if im getting this correctly Leno had a more competent albeit sleazly manager, who made him go the extra mile to convince the bigwigs that he was a better man for the job and effectivly outshone Letterman in their eyes. Which isnt looked kindly upon because Dave gave him his first big shot and thus he shouldn out of gratitude ever seek to challenge him for that job they both wanted. Which seems to summarized by most into "what a douchebag". Did i miss any steps?
    Its the "behind closed doors" part, and "not Johnny's chosen successor" part that bothers people.

And that Leno's basically doing it again. Or NBC is doing it. Or something. Its been a total clusterfuck for several months. Leno's early show has been getting abysmal ratings and thus messing over all the shows it leads into. Apparently.

Its pretty much a lose/lose situation all around.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Ah i see. Well yknow i may be cynical, but i really think that if Dave trusted an unspoken promise of a man who had no power to grant it so much that he never even approached the producers about it then he's pretty damn naive.

But yeah all this shuffling is pretty damn stupid, wouldnt wanna be the guy who gets stuck with the blame for this.

Here is Patton Oswalt's comments about this situation. And alot of the comdeians don't like Leno now because of this situation.

[youtube]oswv5ReaN3I[/youtube]

Default Re: Conan O’Brien won't move The Tonight Show at 12:05 am for Leno

Leno being "forced out"...

There's no question that's how he's playing it, but it isn't remotely true. When his contract negotiations came around, NBC laid out that Conan was popular, felt like he had paid his dues as a following act, and was likely to bolt to another station. In order to keep him from becoming competition, they wanted to promise him the Tonight Show after Jay retired. (And, after all parties involved screwed Letterman last time, there was no way they were going to get away with a promise that wasn't backed up by hefty penalties if they didn't come through.) Jay said "Okay, you pay me X amount, and in 2009 that'll be enough for me." He released a statement about passing the torch and everyone was happy... including Jay, who didn't have to worry that his position as "#1 in Late Night" might be upset when a 2 man race became a 3 man one.

He was only "forced out" in that, after promises were made (that he benefited from), he changed his mind and wanted to back out. Had he said during those original negoiations "if you give Conan the Tonight Show, then I'll go to another station and compete against it", I can promise you that NBC would have let Conan pursue his other options instead. Instead, he said that after Conan had waited all those years until it was nearly his turn, (and thus where all the "douchebag" comments come from) and so forced NBC to try to find ways to keep him... from a trainwreck of a 10pm show to (now) giving him back the Tonight slot.

Fair or unfair, even if its just NBC's wacky antics, unless Leno calls it quits he will be viewed as an asshole if he takes over the Tonight Show again.

Rightly or wrongly he's become the villain pretty much by default.
    Last edited by Robby; January 13th, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

But yeah all this shuffling is pretty damn stupid, wouldnt wanna be the guy who gets stuck with the blame for this.
    The even bigger problem here is that the NBC is shooting itself in the foot, so to speak. They seem to be unable to build up a stable concept for their prime-time shows. This whole fiasco isn't just hurting their late-night comedy segment but every other show they have, and that's a shame. NBC used to have some pretty good scripted drama but in lieu of Jay Leno's lame excuse for a show a good amount of that got canned. If they don't resolve this quickly, it might signal the demise of one of the old "big three".
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofSarus View Post
    S7evin is such a badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You are nice and bad-ass at the same time, S7evin.

Quote Originally Posted by S7evin View Post
    If they don't resolve this quickly, it might signal the demise of one of the old "big three".
    Huh i thought NBC was the american state sponsored channel, can it really go under in the same way that a network like fox could? And on a whole nother note, wonder if Jay made some bad investments and has to keep working if he's to live up to the Nicholas Cage standard. That or he just got bored.

Huh i thought NBC was the american state sponsored channel, can it really go under in the same way that a network like fox could? And on a whole nother note, wonder if Jay made some bad investments and has to keep working if he's to live up to the Nicholas Cage standard. That or he just got bored.
    Ups, might have worded that wrong. What I meant is that NBC might loose it's status as one of the larger, influential stations like CBS, Fox, etc. They won't go broke, they're still backed by Comcast, who acquiered the channel as well as its subsidaries so it's one hundred percent privatly owned. Of course if they go under they might just petition the government to bail them out *joke*
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofSarus View Post
    S7evin is such a badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You are nice and bad-ass at the same time, S7evin.

Quote Originally Posted by robbybedfart View Post
    Leno being "forced out"...

There's no question that's how he's playing it, but it isn't remotely true. When his contract negotiations came around, NBC laid out that Conan was popular, felt like he had paid his dues as a following act, and was likely to bolt to another station. In order to keep him from becoming competition, they wanted to promise him the Tonight Show after Jay retired. (And, after all parties involved screwed Letterman last time, there was no way they were going to get away with a promise that wasn't backed up by hefty penalties if they didn't come through.) Jay said "Okay, you pay me X amount, and in 2009 that'll be enough for me." He released a statement about passing the torch and everyone was happy... including Jay, who didn't have to worry that his position as "#1 in Late Night" might be upset when a 2 man race became a 3 man one.

He was only "forced out" in that, after promises were made (that he benefited from), he changed his mind and wanted to back out. Had he said during those original negoiations "if you give Conan the Tonight Show, then I'll go to another station and compete against it", I can promise you that NBC would have let Conan pursue his other options instead. Instead, he said that after Conan had waited all those years until it was nearly his turn, (and thus where all the "douchebag" comments come from) and so forced NBC to try to find ways to keep him... from a trainwreck of a 10pm show to (now) giving him back the Tonight slot.

Fair or unfair, even if its just NBC's wacky antics, unless Leno calls it quits he will be viewed as an asshole if he takes over the Tonight Show again.

Rightly or wrongly he's become the villain pretty much by default.

You pretty much hit it right on the nail about Leno becoming the villian of all this. But you can say this is giving a lot fuel on the late night tv for Letterman, Freguison, and Kimmiel who look like they are on Conan's side. Who knows. Its going to be interesting tv for the next couple of weeks.

I just feel that Conan is really funny and I thought that his show was funnier than Leno's show. Conan is also being really nice despite what is going on. I gained alot of respect for him because of his decision not to expect a later timeslot and bump Jimmy Fallon off the air which, at least, Conan recognizes as being a dick move. I just feel really bad a Conan and I am sure that this will backfire on both Leno and NBC.

Patton Oswalts' interpretation of the whole thing from a comedians point of view was really interesting to hear and I am just wondering is he the voice of Remy in Rattatoie

Yes, he is.
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

There's a rumor running around that last night was Conan O'Brien's final broadcast. NBC is scared of his jokes and monologues now. Anyone that caught it last night knows why. Monolouge making fun of the situation, and multiple skits including "conan is being pimped" and a "Deal or No Deal" with complete with Howie Mandel. (All the other late night shows seem to be behind Conan if their... entire shows... are any indication.)

And NBC isn't hosting the show on their site like they have for the past several years. Its around on AOL and youtube though.

[youtube]bWZmNwU5U2U[/youtube]
    [youtube]AWmgbKu3f7I[/youtube]

I side with Conan. Why are we moving Conan's timeslot for Leno, who hasn't been funny for a while.

But I think the REAL issue is....

Why does Jimmy Fallon have show and why is it still on the air? He's not funny at all.

EDIT: If Conan leaves the show, it won't be the last we'll see of Conan. I'm betting MONEY that he will move his ass off to Fox, where he used to work with the Simpsons. Fox, being a channel full of loonies and money hungry freaks (what else is new with most companies), will welcome him with open arms.

Aside from conan not being funny, he's absolutely right.

I guess people just have different types of sense of humor...I've found Conan to be hilarious for as long as he's been on the air.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I mean, he has his moments. He's not completely unfunny, but I just tend to find him kind of meh.

My name is a Killing Word Zyordius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post

Why does Jimmy Fallon have show and why is it still on the air? He's not funny at all.
    Yes! Quoted for Epic truth.

I don't like Leno's show, but Leno does have his moments. Everyone else isn't half bad (even Jimmy Kimmel is okay).

Jimmy Fallon.....AWFUL!

The only thing that's funny is how badly his jokes bomb WITH HIS OWN AUDIENCE!!!

Conan is the comedian meant for the Tonight Show and its timeslot, when NBC did the 25 year anniversary of the Tonight Show and they had clips and interviews of Johnny Carson they even showed how emotional he got when talking about Letterman and how he got screwed by Leno. Letterman was always a supporter of Conan, he always believed in his comedy, and every comedian respects Conan, whereas Jay is nothing more than a scumbag.

SNL, Simpsons, all shows Conan worked for, support him, Will Farrel gave Conan major publicity, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are public supporters and friends of Conan, whenever there is a skit on an award show, or even "the late night wars" they love to have Conan as a guest and vice versa.

If you consider Jon Stewart unfunny, or unfit as the voice of reason of late night, you should commit harakiri.

Anyway, I hope Conan leaves and either gets a spot on ABC (since Kimmel is a joke) or Comedy Central, he deserves the respect he has earned, and Jay Leno truly deserves to retire, he has been on TV for too long, and his ratings agree with this statement.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refii View Post
    If you consider Jon Stewart...unfit as the voice of reason of late night.
    Thou shalt not worship false idols.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information