+ Reply to Thread
Page 241 of 244 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,820 of 4880

Thread: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Default Re: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Like watching it all you really can think about is the wasted effort. So much spent on scenary, sets, design and extras. So many in essence perfectly interesting scenes being hamstrung by their lack of time needed to let them grow and unfold and leave room for an emotional attachment. This desperately needed more episodes to make it breath.....but i realize that at this point i'm just repeating myself

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

This season and last REEEEAALLLY should've been 10 episodes each.

On a side note if those present at the election represent the current great houses in westeros they can't have much going for 'em right now. Tarley used to run under Tyrells no? Iron borne lady represents those guys who hates everybody. Gendry i suppose hold what's left of the storm islands thingies. Brienne's house i just assumed was rather insignificant but maybe i'm mistaken. Davos has nothing. Tully is like the last guy in his whole family in a devestated region. I guess the Arryn Royce combo still has it's shit in order tho. And the Starks just bailed on the whole thing, even if their shit also is wrecked

Ujum, Tyrells are extint (even if that were, the Hightowers, lords of the citadel, where the maesters are and the church was before kings landing, would have made the move to take over the reach), Riverlands are a blazed crater, Dorne did dorne things and stayed mostly outside, the Stormlands ceased to exist since Stanis went north, Briene's lands are there, Davos has like 4 islands, only one with green stuff in it, and Littlefinger's plans hinged on the Vale staying nice and strong to sweep in whenever he deemed oportune.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I can't believe Bran got away with pitting his two biggest contenders to the throne against each other by making up some bs story about a secret wedding. All hail Bran the Broken (even though that's an awful title)

Sansa got what she deserved, an independent North. Yara and the Ironborn, eat your heart out.
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Welp, all in all about S8: I would not have thought, before the season started, that the writers and showruiners could screw it up as badly as they did, but, in fact, they subverted my expectations! Bravo, guys!

This made me laugh and sums it up quite well in a little over a minute:
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaimon View Post
    lol she went from someone who was moderately brutal but with good intentions to the most evil person in history for no reason, how does that make sense?
    like I said, putting aside how rushed the show was and the fact that the showrunners didn't know how to pace anything without Martin.

i read the books and haven't really watched the show in years. So....

but it was super duper obvious in the books and not a surprise in the least that the crazy lady that kept burning down places that pissed her off, was in it only for her own selfishness, would keep burning down places that pissed her off.
    Last edited by Robby; May 20th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Well that was awful.

I had the same feeling watching this finale as I did reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

They both came across as terrible fanfiction without an ounce of genuine creativity or respect for the characters
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

So what ever happend to that thing where the dothraki need to avenge the death of their khal? I mean the unsullied bitching out on killing Jon aside it suprises me more that the warrior culture people were willing to negotiate on that point

The Dotraki were relegated as background warriros because they didn't have a representative like the unsulied or even the Mereen people. Compare how Dorne, the Riverlands and the Reach went silent last season, vs how the stormlands practically dissapeared from the map after the shadow baby.

I doubt the Dotraki are as chill as the Unsulied with going to retirement into the death by venomous butterfly island.

Speaking of the riverlands, did they stay in the not7 kingdoms or went with the north as Robb's original rebelion promissed?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

They just rushed it so bad. Could have gone for one more season.

Yeah i guess it's no more than that. Just seems silly that Jon could walk free from the wrath of the fanatics who served Dany based on the threat of however many northmen they could rally at this stage. Buuut the scale of who has how many men at any given time swing like a pendelum at any given interaction. One time Dany has like a cavalry, the other she leads the unified forces of the third reich. Maybe Sansa bussed in the here unto unknown reserves to the reserve reserve. For a sparsely populated area with like five wars in a generation they sure seem good at scrunging up men

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    i read the books and haven't really watched the show in years. So....
    okay? we're talking about the show not the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaimon View Post
    okay? we're talking about the show not the books.
    The shows are following the book outline. they're going to get to the same point with the same character who did all the same things up until about season 5.

within those first 5 seasons all the groundwork was absolutely already there for her to be a vindictive petty woman who didn't care about her people who burned countries to the ground for little reason. that was all there.

The fact that the show missed the landing and didn't properly build to the obvious natural conclusion properly is on the show. But i knew a decade ago she'd be one of the badguys in the end. I never understood why people thought she was legitimate contender or that she deserved the throne. Having a character arc or being sympathetic isn't the same thing as being a goodguy.

Similarly, jaimie and cersei were likely to always die, if not together, then one immediately after the other, while Tyrion, Brienne and the Stark kids were going to be one of the ones that made out well in the end.

(For all that the series touts its "anyone can die at anytime" attitude, the actual main POV characters didn't die all that much aside from Ned in the first book and Quentyn Martell. lots and lots of fakeout deaths and cliffhangers, but little actual main character death. And no, Robb doesn't count, in the books he wasn't a POV character. Even Catelyn is still alive in the books.)

Martin might subvert those things now that the show has done its ending if he ever actually finishes the last two books, and go for full downer ending, but those were always pretty clear story paths, no matter how the tv show mangled it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

And also, a hive mind/psychic gels well with GRRM previous sci fi works. But then again, that dude in the chair, is he Bran? Bloodraven? The children of the forest? All of the above?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The shows are following the book outline. they're going to get to the same point with the same character who did all the same things up until about season 5.

within those first 5 seasons all the groundwork was absolutely already there for her to be a vindictive petty woman who didn't care about her people who burned countries to the ground for little reason. that was all there.

The fact that the show missed the landing and didn't properly build to the obvious natural conclusion properly is on the show. But i knew a decade ago she'd be one of the badguys in the end. I never understood why people thought she was legitimate contender or that she deserved the throne. Having a character arc or being sympathetic isn't the same thing as being a goodguy.

Similarly, jaimie and cersei were likely to always die, if not together, then one immediately after the other, while Tyrion, Brienne and the Stark kids were going to be one of the ones that made out well in the end.

(For all that the series touts its "anyone can die at anytime" attitude, the actual main POV characters didn't die all that much aside from Ned in the first book and Quentyn Martell. lots and lots of fakeout deaths and cliffhangers, but little actual main character death. And no, Robb doesn't count, in the books he wasn't a POV character. Even Catelyn is still alive in the books.)

Martin might subvert those things now that the show has done its ending if he ever actually finishes the last two books, and go for full downer ending, but those were always pretty clear story paths, no matter how the tv show mangled it.
    1-again, i'm only talking about the show it doesn't matter what's going to happen in the books what matters is that the show as you said "missed the landing" and "mangled it".

2-can you tell me about this groundwork because i don't see it. the only clearly morally black thing she did that i can remember is killing the witch in season one witch is no worse than jon killing olly and it had a cause.
    Last edited by Lord Gaimon; May 21st, 2019 at 07:32 AM.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Last shot is Jon going off into the woods to meet an old friend.

To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Apart from them and Arys Oakheart, all the other deaths were prologues and epilogues if I recall well. Even Oakheart had just one POV chapter.

Been way too long since I read it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Isn't it basicly a requirement after any big twist to have people go - oh i saw it coming all along. But i mean hats off to anyone who can scrounge up an old post where they foresaw the Hitler turn of Dany or the optional side story nature of the whitewalkers. I sure couldn't tell that was coming back in like season 4, but i'm also a well-known dum-dum

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Apart from them and Arys Oakheart, all the other deaths were prologues and epilogues if I recall well. Even Oakheart had just one POV chapter.

Been way too long since I read it all.
    Had to google who Ary's Oakheart is.

Wow, Martin really added a ton load of new POV characters and plot lines in the new books -_-.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information