+ Reply to Thread
Page 324 of 324 FirstFirst ... 224 274 314 322 323 324
Results 6,461 to 6,475 of 6475

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Default Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Crouching Tiger had a dub???!? Huh, never saw it in that format.

And no, dubbing liveaction pretty much always looks cheesy, no matter how seriously they take it. Anime you can match the lip flaps, live action its just weird. Even in cases where Jackie Chan is dubbing Jackie Chan it's weird.
    <leers angrily in spanish>
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

<Dublado por Herbert Richers>
    How lazy can a culture be to prefer dubs over subs?
    At least is not as pathetic as Gloria Maria's interviewing Freddie Mercury at RiR.

Lazy enough to want to watch and list a movie with the language they are most comfortable with since it is an audio visual medium. I'm more annoyed how people feel those movies are so magic it's an affront to dare put voices a foreigner can understand in there just not so much that adding text to it is disrespectful. Both are conveniences to more easily understand what the hell is happening in this language you dont know. Both should be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Crouching Tiger had a dub???!? Huh, never saw it in that format.

And no, dubbing liveaction pretty much always looks cheesy, no matter how seriously they take it. Anime you can match the lip flaps, live action its just weird. Even in cases where Jackie Chan is dubbing Jackie Chan it's weird.
    It may look cheesy but it's profitable.

The dissing of dubs makes me FEEL ANGRY!

LOL.

Nope. But you guys should be more respectful of Dubs. Dubs arent always made for the average joe. They are made for people who cant see the show or movie or media any other way. Like children or people who cant read (AND NO THEY ARENT LAZY) to Blind people. Sure the last pretty much agrees with Robby in a way. But dubs are great. They help bring media to a whole new audience.

And only the really detail oriented can tell live action dubs are cheesy anyway.

Sure dubs are ok when VA's can make a living out of the job, like for example US and Japan, but they are not that good in other parts of the world.

Back in my day, the Mexican dub company was awesome, they did the localization as well, so we didn’t had to deal with stupid shit like “rock the dragon” or frothing mugs of orange juice, or the lovely cousins sailor scouts.

Now (I mean since around Inuyasha) they grew lazy and just copied the gringos homework, and then we got 4 kids one piece, and the centipede lady with a tank top.

Quality of English -> Spanish was pretty ok with all three translation groups since ever, Mexico, Venezuela and Argentina. Well, I can’t judge recently as the Spanish-Spain dub seems like it is done by 6 dudes and 6 gals.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Ummmm...Inuyasha DID NOT copy the USA. The translation was done wholly from teh Japanese version by Brenda Nava, the translator from DB,Sailor Moon, and all those glory days of Latin American dubbing. And the censorship was wholly unique to Latin America. There was no digi bra for the Inuyasha dub in USA because it was shown on Adult Swim. They didnt need that.

But I do agree that it was THEN that the quality of dubs went INSANELY downhill. But Inuyasha was about the last great dub of the golden era.

Wat? The digital bra and the slow mo on demon shredding wasn't an USA artifact? I'm inclined to disbelieve you, but the fact that there was nothing glaringly wrong with the translation, and we got the dubbed OPs gives me pause.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    There was no digi bra for the Inuyasha dub in USA because it was shown on Adult Swim. They didnt need that.
    So did Tenchi Muyo & Outlaw Star which were the same exact versions that aired on Toonami.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Adult Swim doesnt equal Toonami. At least it didnt use to.
    Last edited by Captain Krupp; August 17th, 2020 at 02:12 PM.

Adult Swim doesnt equal Toonami. At least it didnt use to.
    I mean when you look at the original saturday lineup of Adult Swim it might as well have been.

Gundam 0033, YuYu Hakuso,........Pilot Candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I have confirmed that I was right... and wrong. While I was right that the Latin American edits are unique to it, Adult Swim DID edit it but in a different way from LatAM.

The dissing of dubs makes me FEEL ANGRY!
    No one is dissing dubs wholesale.

But dubbing over live action is incredibly wonky.

Cowboy Bebop in English is better than in Japanese, and the Spanish dub of DBZ is the best version of the show all around.

But, for all there there are a handful of legit good dubs, there are lots and lots of BAD ones. And just because you got *used* to a voice cast of something over a hundred+ episodes or the duration of your childhood doesn't inherently make it good. (I can't believe how many people defend the original dub of Evangelion as *good* when it used to be openly mocked. But it had 20 years to settle and...)

It also doesn't help that american anime dub production have a really small talent pool so you hear the same twenty actors in everything.
    Last edited by Robby; August 17th, 2020 at 08:48 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information