+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

  1. #1

    Default Kanzenban! (or manga that get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition")

    As most of manga fans know, when a serie gets published, it starts in it's magazine. After certain amount of characters it gets into Volumes, or Tankoubans.

    Sometime popular series gets an especial treatment like one piece who get further compilations, as in The logs.

    But the perfect compilation, the sum of what the whole manga once was, is a Kanzenban (mostly).

    Since I found out what they were (thanks to Shaman King's kanzenban) I've gathering information about them, in order to see the the diferences, the extras, the lossess, and who is going to publish them under my understandig.

    My quest was unsuccesful in the real world, untill last week. Rurouni Kenshin Kanzenban. Beautiful.

    I've looked for other's series final compilations, and found:
    Houshin Engi
    Dragon Ball (with Daizenshu info)

    Shaman King: Complete ending, character profiles, new covers.
    Rurouni Kenshin: The prototype story in Vol1, character prototype notes, new covers

    Slam Dunk, Saint Seiya, Yu yu Hakusho: new covers.
    Hikaru No Go, Dr. Slump, Hokuto no Ken, Flame of Recca, I''s, Monster, Magic Knight Rayearth

    As you can see, most kanzenban's known feature is.. the new cover, and the increased quality of the book, better materials for the covers and pages, and bigger page size.

    I create this thread so you can discuss your favorite concluded series full compilation, hopefuly colecting relase dates and extras details. And Scans of the original and new covers of the volumes.
    Last edited by maxterdexter; May 5th, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Kewl's and Gepetto's comments

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    may i ask what the slightly different ending is for dragonball?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    They're actually on larger better quality paper, too. Plus there's more chapters per volume, I think.
    Also I think it's something Shueisha does exclusively. And you forgot Hikaru no Go.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    http://www.boladedragon.com/dragonba.../kanzenban.php

    There they are all the covers, after them there comes the comparation of both endings.

    The new one is shorter, and more to the point.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammsy View Post
    may i ask what the slightly different ending is for dragonball?
    Instead of Goku flying off with Oob on his back the whole way through, Goku calls Kinto'un and places Oob on it. They then fly off together, with Goku seeing his younger self in Oob. The ending also kinda adds Vegeta a little upset with Goku, supposedly reviving their rivalry despite Vegeta admitting that Goku was #1.

    I'd say Carue was a Lucky Ducky | YouTube Page


  6. #6

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    They're actually on larger better quality paper, too. Plus there's more chapters per volume, I think.
    Also I think it's something Shueisha does exclusively. And you forgot Hikaru no Go.
    The plan is to keep updating the first post with the publishing information, covers and extras.

    I forgot to add the most important changes to a reader, the book quality

    Hikaru no Go and Dr. Slump at least.

    Only shueisha? I was bafled that I didn't found Ranma's kanzenban, but something of a simmilar style compilation.

    That means that FMA won't have a ultimate edition? I'll have to investigate!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    I believe FMA is in one of the magazines shueisha publishes.

    Isn't there a KANZENBAN for Flame of Recca?
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

  8. #8

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Starting the manga print report:

    To regular covers

    Wow, Toriyama used the covers as oda uses most of the color spreads, I mean, Vegeta doesn't show up untill after Frezzer?
    He used them most of the time to play around with the characters, and vehicle designs rather than showcase what's in the volume.
    42 total.

    Kanzenban (click to see front and back)

    A more minimalist design, very little background, more character POSES oriented. The cool thing is that we get a wider character range, and some emotion from them, and a little exposition of who is at the cover and who's at the back.
    Like Kaioshin and Kibito at the cover, Bibidi and Dabura at the back, almost the same pose, but diferent camera angle.
    34 total.

    I would like to post here the covers in giant HIDE sections, but for now I won't, I'll keep looking for other sources, and host them somewhere.

    Viz Versions: (English)
    Viz heavily separated the 2 series with a "Z", and published them as 2 completely separated series.
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Ball Z

    There is a re-publishing of it with a second set of new covers, I think that it is still being published. I'm unaware if those are based on the original or the kanzenban.

    Dragon Ball VizBig
    Dragon Ball Z VizBig

    Planeta De Angostini version: (Spanish and... how is "Catalan" translated?)
    Used the original artwork, I'm currently unaware of extra contents.
    Here they are
    Dragon Ball Daizenshu:
    As One Piece has the color walks, and databooks, Dragon Ball also had the "Daizenshu", 10 books that were published around the ending of the manga, had various information, interviews and illustrations of everything DB related. Most "power level" talk comes from one of these babys, as it gave the numbers for each character as it changed with the plot. My sources indicate that these books are very rare because there was only one edition.

    All but the 7th Those were very underwhelming, the only one that I found cool was the first one.
    The 7th one This is where the gold is, it is in french, but it is full of most (if not all) information of the manga and the anime (including the movies), items, characters, places, timelines, planets, races overview. It is trully the bible of dragon ball. Interesting that toriyama is less of a cannon segregationist than his fans.
    If you want to thank someone, say them to this guy Lord darth tyrannus

    Probably Greg has more precise information about dragon ball, and these databooks.

    Finaly, with the relase of the kanzenban or some aniversary, there were relased 2 last databooks, Dragonball Landmark, and Dragonball Forever, I haven't been able to find some relevant information, besides that they are databooks, and This

    And THIS is suposed to be in the fisrt one:
    Last edited by maxterdexter; May 3rd, 2010 at 07:10 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Fullmetal Alchemist is done by Square Enix. It runs in Shonen Gangan.

    And yeah, it's an idea Shueisha came up with. Others may do some sort of deluxe version, maybe, too.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Starting the manga print report:

    To regular covers

    Wow, Toriyama used the covers as oda uses most of the color spreads, I mean, Vegeta doesn't show up untill after Frezzer?
    He used them most of the time to play around with the characters, and vehicle designs rather than showcase what's in the volume.
    42 total.

    Kanzenban (click to see front and back)

    A more minimalist design, very little background, more character POSES oriented. The cool thing is that we get a wider character range, and some emotion from them, and a little exposition of who is at the cover and who's at the back.
    Like Kaioshin and Kibito at the cover, Bibidi and Dabura at the back, almost the same pose, but diferent camera angle.
    34 total.

    I would like to post here the covers in giant HIDE sections, but for now I won't, I'll keep looking for other sources, and host them somewhere.

    Viz Versions: (English)
    Viz heavily separated the 2 series with a "Z", and published them as 2 completely separated series.
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Ball Z

    There is a re-publishing of it with a second set of new covers, I think that it is still being published. I'm unaware if those are based on the original or the kanzenban.

    Dragon Ball VizBig
    Dragon Ball Z VizBig

    Planeta De Angostini version: (Spanish and... how is "Catalan" translated?)
    Used the original artwork, I'm currently unaware of extra contents.
    Here they are
    Dragon Ball Daizenshu:
    As One Piece has the color walks, and databooks, Dragon Ball also had the "Daizenshu", 10 books that were published around the ending of the manga, had various information, interviews and illustrations of everything DB related. Most "power level" talk comes from one of these babys, as it gave the numbers for each character as it changed with the plot. My sources indicate that these books are very rare because there was only one edition.

    All but the 7th Those were very underwhelming, the only one that I found cool was the first one.
    The 7th one This is where the gold is, it is in french, but it is full of most (if not all) information of the manga and the anime (including the movies), items, characters, places, timelines, planets, races overview. It is trully the bible of dragon ball. Interesting that toriyama is less of a cannon segregationist than his fans.
    If you want to thank someone, say them to this guy Lord darth tyrannus

    Probably Greg has more precise information about dragon ball, and these databooks.
    the american kanzenban covers compared to the japanese ones suck so damn much. It's just goku over n over n over again.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

  11. #11

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by GEPPETTOSMONSTER View Post
    the american kanzenban covers compared to the japanese ones suck so damn much. It's just goku over n over n over again.
    Quoted for the truth, all the american covers are underwhelming compared to their japanesse equivalent, I think that the original spain's ones had similar levels of changes, but didn't found them.

    Next Edition: Houshin Engi! I'll do manga that I readed first.

    Feel free to do any sniplet of a manga that you are familiar with, keep it in one post, I'll link it from the OP, and if it is a media heavy post use the HIDE tags. Keep it objective about the plot and quality of the work, but feel free to coment on your opinions of the medium, (quality of the books, the awesomeness of the extras).

  12. #12

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Technically speaking, the US does NOT have the Kanzenban. The VizBig editions are just reprints of the standard volumes with more edits and only a few pages retaining color.

    The Kanzenban has ALL of the color pages and the only real "edit" is removing a cigarette from Bulma since she was 16 at the time.

    I'd say Carue was a Lucky Ducky | YouTube Page


  13. #13

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Wait so VIZBIG isn't the Kanzenban of North America?
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

  14. #14

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by GEPPETTOSMONSTER View Post
    Wait so VIZBIG isn't the Kanzenban of North America?
    There's nothing indicating that it is. Even if it is the perfect moment for a relase.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    *hugs Dutch DB Kanzenban edition*

  16. #16

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    *hugs Dutch DB Kanzenban edition*
    Could you please provide a link to your book's editorial's page? to add to the list.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Today's Edition: Houshin Engi
    Ran in Shounen jump from 1996 to 2000, spawning 23 volumes, 204 chapters, and a Special were the setting is the same (sans the signpost), but Taiboukou is a little girl, Suppu is a lizard, The Emperor is retarded, and Dakki is a regular woman, just a tad selfish.

    Published in USA by Viz, I'm guessing they finish by the end of 2010

    Here are all the covers from the original Edition

    Sorry, I couldn't find bigger pictures, except from Viz's and that's still incomplete.


    Here is an Artbook, that contains the old covers, the color pages of the old manga, the new covers and it's collor artwork, and maybe something from other series of the author.

    And... the 18 Kanzenban covers (select the 2th choise, and then the first one, to see the giant cyclic covers)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    so there is no US release of the Dragon Ball kanzenban yet?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by BazookaNavy View Post
    so there is no US release of the Dragon Ball kanzenban yet?
    As my knowlodge, no.

    I guess after the "goku centric covers" are done, they Might do it.

    Next time! I think that I should do Saint Seiya! Or any sugestion?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Kanzenban! (or manga who get a "final compilation" or "perfect edition"

    Quote Originally Posted by BazookaNavy View Post
    so there is no US release of the Dragon Ball kanzenban yet?
    Well, there are VizBig editions of Dragon Ball. Flipped through 'em myself.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts